Malazan Empire: Richard Morgan - Malazan Empire

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Richard Morgan Takeshi Kovacs books (mostly)

#101 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 03 August 2010 - 11:53 PM

View PostTapper, on 03 August 2010 - 02:50 PM, said:

Skipping that episode entirely to start a new novel is rather unlikely: the whole conondrum he's in is pretty much make or break for Kovacs, imho: either they make it and he'll be rewarded so handsomely he'll never have to work again, or he's looking at permanent erasure if it goes tits up.

If Morgan takes the third route, with Kovacs breaking away from all that (either by escape or by becoming a turncoat) for a new novel that works pretty much like what we've come to expect from the Kovacs series, he'll have to spend a lot of pages explaining why and how, anyway.

His pattern is to break away from the last novel. We very likely won't see Kovacs dealing with Quellcrist again, even though they truly love each other, as the Harlans are purely digital, the rebellion has somehow largely succeeded and because it's too staid a story for a Kovacs novel. Plus the copies of him elsewhere can have adventures elsewhere.

What we may see is Kovacs taking a mission from one of the reconstituted copies of people that the orbital platforms around Harlan's World restored, and then finding out why the orbital platforms are around Harlan's World and nowhere else. That's my hunch.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#102 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 11 August 2010 - 05:16 PM

View Postmaro, on 28 May 2010 - 02:47 AM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 27 May 2010 - 04:43 PM, said:

View Postmaro, on 27 May 2010 - 03:37 AM, said:

Black Man II could go back to Mars?

I would like that.
unfortuntately BLACK MAN was not nearly as well received as the Kovacs books or TSR and it seems unlikely RM is going to sequel the book any time soon.

I wonder why? I enjoyed it. It was considerably better than Market Forces (Although that wasn't really that bad as a Satire).

Probably the title........

Not the title, tho apparently that drew a bit of comment, even with the name change to 13 in the ever so sensitive USA.

...but from reading RM's blog and elsenet, it seems that a big chunk of RM fans were put off by the fact that BLACK wasn't a Kovacs book, lacked the setting, tropes or character of a Kovacs book, and thus was crap because it was not a Kovacs book.

No, really.

Personally, i thought the setting was clever as fuck (virilicide = genius) , the characters were 'real' and interesting, the action very well written and the story compelling within all that. Did it lack the kaboom of the Kovacs books? Sure it did, but i LIKE when an author isn't afraid to try something different and ask some hard questions and RM did that with this book and still had enough shooty stabby to keep me entertained.

I think the Kovacs books have gone as far as they might. Sure there's plenty of room for more stories but the three read nicely and wrap the character's arc very well.

Anyhoo, his blog seems to suggest a focus on the Heroes books for now with game work taking up a chunk of his time as well if not moreso.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#103 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 13 August 2010 - 08:22 AM

View Postamphibian, on 03 August 2010 - 11:53 PM, said:

His pattern is to break away from the last novel. We very likely won't see Kovacs dealing with Quellcrist again, even though they truly love each other, as the Harlans are purely digital, the rebellion has somehow largely succeeded and because it's too staid a story for a Kovacs novel. Plus the copies of him elsewhere can have adventures elsewhere.

What we may see is Kovacs taking a mission from one of the reconstituted copies of people that the orbital platforms around Harlan's World restored, and then finding out why the orbital platforms are around Harlan's World and nowhere else. That's my hunch.

Yes, but the second novel tied into the Blue Bugs conspiracy in the third, so Morgan has been linking them a bit... and he has stayed away from explaining Martian technology up until now, instead presenting it as a not-understood given for every human being. Sure, the developments in the last novel indicate this will change in the setting, but... Anyway, like Abyss, I'm happy if he lets Kovacs rest a bit :D
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#104 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 25 August 2022 - 07:48 AM

Rise, O Dead Thread .... RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISE!

Just because I saw it on my bookshelf while walking past ... does anyone else think Idris Elba should play Marsalis in any movie/mini series of Black Man/Thirteen?
Because he comes straight to mind as the only option when I think of the character.

Apologies if this has been done to death elsethread, but I couldn't find any other ref to it along those lines and the actual ded-thread on the book was locked for some reason.

https://forum.malaza...post__p__169639

This post has been edited by Tsundoku: 25 August 2022 - 07:51 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#105 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 25 August 2022 - 09:18 AM

12 years? How time flies.

#106 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 25 August 2022 - 09:51 AM

Never heard of that book Black Man so I found it in digital version for Ł3, bought it!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#107 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 25 August 2022 - 04:03 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 25 August 2022 - 09:51 AM, said:

Never heard of that book Black Man so I found it in digital version for Ł3, bought it!

The book had an alternate name in some regions as Thirteen (with the number imbedded somewhere in the title, but I forget exactly where and I'm too lazy to look atm). I really liked it back when I went through it in audiobook but they're are certain predictions made about the future of the US that were a touch more uncomfortable then that I suspect would maybe even hit a little closer to home nowadays.

#108 User is offline   Briar King 

• High Fist
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 25 August 2022 - 10:58 PM

Need to get back to Ringil. I can finally finish thanks to an actual cool bookstore in Houston where I found bk 3. Would need to start over when it’s time.
Drive by bye bye king on my dumb horse

#109 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 06 September 2022 - 03:20 PM

View PostTsundoku, on 25 August 2022 - 07:48 AM, said:

Rise, O Dead Thread .... RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISE!

Just because I saw it on my bookshelf while walking past ... does anyone else think Idris Elba should play Marsalis in any movie/mini series of Black Man/Thirteen?
Because he comes straight to mind as the only option when I think of the character.

Apologies if this has been done to death elsethread, but I couldn't find any other ref to it along those lines and the actual ded-thread on the book was locked for some reason.

https://forum.malaza...post__p__169639

Younger and bigger.
Marsalis is supposed to be HUGE, not just tall.

View PostJPK, on 25 August 2022 - 04:03 PM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 25 August 2022 - 09:51 AM, said:

Never heard of that book Black Man so I found it in digital version for £3, bought it!

The book had an alternate name in some regions as Thirteen (with the number imbedded somewhere in the title, but I forget exactly where and I'm too lazy to look atm). I really liked it back when I went through it in audiobook but they're are certain predictions made about the future of the US that were a touch more uncomfortable then that I suspect would maybe even hit a little closer to home nowadays.

It was a great book.
Unfortunately it was not a Takashi Kovacs book so it was not widely loved despite being set earlier in the same world.

View PostCancelled, on 25 August 2022 - 10:58 PM, said:

Need to get back to Ringil. I can finally finish thanks to an actual cool bookstore in Houston where I found bk 3. Would need to start over when it's time.

You should. It's a hell of an ending.

Morgan went pretty quiet after the mess that was his short lived entry in the 'transwo/men are wo/men' debate. His site and blog are months silent. Last i heard/saw, he was working on GONE MACHINE the sequel to THIN AIR and something gaming related.
MACHINE has a pub date of June 2022, guess we'll see.

#110 User is offline   RealGatekeeper1 

• Recruit

Posted 09 May 2023 - 03:04 AM

“The first paragraph of “the Cold Commands” is why I read fantasy. For some unknown reason, The Steel Remains…remains a flawed book. But the other two, good god. The very reason I love to read. If you know you know, but being a previously incarcerated individual, when the Ravensfriend name is explained, “I am not the Honeyed Promise of Length of Life in Years to Come, I am the Iron Promise of Never Being a Slave.” This. This is a gift for those that wonder at their…situation…and let them snarl in the face of crushing inhumanization.

#111 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 03 August 2023 - 05:47 AM

Hey he lives https://www.richardk...-not-forgotten/

Short version: been busy with life and game stuff, Gone Machine wasn't singing to him, shelved for now, working on a different book, no pub date yet.

#112 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 03 August 2023 - 10:49 AM

He's still happily being a TERF and it looks like he went through his money, hence the working for a game company again.

I think he's basically lost his way. I'm sorry about his family members getting cancer.

#113 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 03 August 2023 - 01:28 PM

View Postamphibian, on 03 August 2023 - 10:49 AM, said:

He's still happily being a TERF ...

You mean the one-liner there or has he been getting in more trouble elsewhere?

#114 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 04 August 2023 - 10:52 PM

View PostAbyss, on 03 August 2023 - 01:28 PM, said:

View Postamphibian, on 03 August 2023 - 10:49 AM, said:

He's still happily being a TERF ...

You mean the one-liner there or has he been getting in more trouble elsewhere?

From what I understand he pretty vehemently supports JKRs POV of feminism and women as a gender solidity being in conflict with Trans women intruding on that space. They both feel that women have fought for so long for that space that Trans women threaten that.

There’s been a few posts where he dives into his feelings on the subject.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#115 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit

Posted 05 August 2023 - 12:45 AM

It's especially weird coming from the guy who made his big break writing specifically about a culture where people change bodies all the time and it's accepted.

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users