Malazan Empire: Richard Morgan - Malazan Empire

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Richard Morgan Takeshi Kovacs books (mostly)

#21 User is offline   drinksinbars 

• Soletaken
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 08 March 2005 - 04:01 PM

i so want that ****ing book, if somewhere wa sopen i would be there right now buying it... oh roll on tomorrow morning Posted Image

#22 User is offline   Fist Gamet 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Writing, reading, writing, climbing, writing, scuba diving and writing (not at the same time)

Posted 23 April 2005 - 09:21 AM

Many thanks to SM, Yellow etc... Altered Carbon was excellent. As I said, I am not a Sci-Fi reader and could never get into it but this was a top story, neatly plotted, original (to me, anyway Posted Image) and had me gripped to the end.

Looking forwards to the next book.
Victory is mine!

#23 Guest_The Shadowlord_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 11 November 2003 - 09:05 AM

I've just bought ALtered Carbon, but it will be a while before i get round to reading it. I expect to be impressed, i've been told this is as good as/better than Reynolds, who i consider to be truly incredible (especially Chasm City).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Are you Possible?
China Miéville Forum

#24 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 14 July 2005 - 09:51 AM

About halfway thru WF. So far, so good. I do like the references to earlier BA. It follows a sort of logical progression in the Kovacs world.

- Abyss, keeps misreading it 'minimint'.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#25 Guest_Pale Remnants_*

Posted 11 October 2003 - 12:53 AM

Review of "Spin State", from a new author compared to Morgan i.e Chandler meets SF etc

http://www.scifi.com...ent/books2.html

Hug a Cactusman today.
http://baslag.proboa...2.com/index.cgi

#26 Guest_Pale Remnants_*

Posted 09 November 2003 - 04:13 AM

Ok

After a second reading of "Broken Angels", here's my final opinion.

To be honest, i thought it was a step back from "Altered Carbon". The basic mercerary-alien-artefact plot i have read many times previously. The action seemed to sag in the crucial middle of the book.Only picking up in the last fifty pages. And the final chapter where all the unspottable plot threads and clues were explained, was too much of a cop out ending.

Although there is some fine prose and basic ideas. The next book from Richards, should cement his reputation or end it.

Soon to be leaving.

#27 Guest_MikeSal222_*

Posted 07 March 2004 - 05:44 AM

Here's an excerpt from an interview with Richard Morgan in the March 2004 Del Rey Internet Newsletter, where he discusses the third Takeshi Kovacs novel, which is going to be Morgan's next book after Market Forces.

quote:
Del Rey: Finally, what can you tell us about Kovacs #3? Is there a title yet? How will it differ from Altered Carbon and Broken Angels?

Richard Morgan: The working title is Woken Furies, and the novel is set on Kovacs’s home planet, Harlan’s World. It features (among other things) the planetary ruling elite, the Harlan’s World yakuza, centuries-old rogue weapons systems, the drugged up, wired-up mercenary teams paid to decommission them, surfboard revolutionaries, and a maniac religious cult.

In some ways it’s a return to the noir staples I used in Altered Carbon -- Kovacs is largely alone and struggling to unpick the knots of a mystery while set upon by a wide variety of enemies. But in this case, there's a substantial element of changing landscape that didn’t feature in either of the other books; Altered Carbon was limited to the environs of Bay City, in the classic PI style, with one very brief excursion to Europe, and Broken Angels, although it moved about a bit more than that, was really dominated by the single overarching reality of the war, which rendered all locations much the same for the protagonists.

In Woken Furies, you get a lot of exotic travel. Kovacs is on the move, sometimes on the run, sometimes on the hunt, and wherever he goes, we get to look out of the windows at the passing scenery. You don’t get the ensemble feel of Broken Angels either, because although there is a strong cast of secondary characters in Woken Furies, they tend to come and go as the story follows Kovacs’ journey (or voyage, really, as Harlan’s World is largely oceanic).

If there are echoes (and I like to think there are) of The Big Sleep in Altered Carbon, and of The Good the Bad and the Ugly in Broken Angels, then I suppose Woken Furies finds its resonances in something like North by Northwest or The Thirty-Nine Steps. Of course, that’s not the whole tone of the thing -- the Kovacs novels are far more cynical and ambiguous than anything by Hitchcock or Buchan, and in the end, this is an SF novel above all else. The implications of digital human storage and other associated technologies still form the backdrop to the tale, and there's the usual running critique of governance hierarchies, but I think what I’m enjoying most in the writing this time around is the world building. To some extent, the book is an exploration of Harlan’s World itself as much as a detective story, because the mystery Kovacs finds himself dealing with goes to the heart of what makes his home world tick.

#28 User is offline   Fist Gamet 

• Mortal Sword
  • Interests:Writing, reading, writing, climbing, writing, scuba diving and writing (not at the same time)

Posted 20 April 2005 - 07:51 AM

Well, as anticipated, Altered Carbon is excellent, nearly finished and struggling to put it down!
Victory is mine!

#29 Guest_bluesman_*

Posted 24 June 2005 - 04:10 PM

But it has to be said. It is still worth to read all 3 because there's references to various events in previous books in WF. Even if Woken Furies was better than Broken Angels, I felt that it was good to have read Broken Angels first. I wont tell too much but it's about Martians Posted Image. I hope he continues to explore that particual story because I really want to know what happened (even if I have my suspicions).

I hope they make movies about these so my signed copy has some value in the future hehe.

BM

#30 Guest_syntaxhorror_*

Posted 13 July 2005 - 06:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by bluesman:
But it has to be said. It is still worth to read all 3 because there's references to various events in previous books in WF. Even if Woken Furies was better than Broken Angels, I felt that it was good to have read Broken Angels first. I wont tell too much but it's about Martians Posted Image. I hope he continues to explore that particual story because I really want to know what happened (even if I have my suspicions).

I hope they make movies about these so my signed copy has some value in the future hehe.

BM

Signed first editions of Altered Carbon are allready quite valuable, but a movie would certainly make the price skyrocket.

#31 User is offline   Mort 

• Captain

Posted 12 May 2005 - 02:54 PM

Finally WF has made it to Australia - or Townsville, it may have made the rest of the countriy a couple ofmonths ago for all I know...

Woo hoo - started it last night, was tempted to try to finish it off by staying up all night, but work seemed a slight impediment to that desire....

#32 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 25 April 2005 - 02:04 AM

Posted Image Woken Furies hardback is only £10! And there was a signed copy in Ottakers, so I had to buy thatPosted Image
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#33 Guest_Pale Remnants_*

Posted 09 October 2003 - 01:01 PM

@Lucas. Yes "Broken Angels" takes more of a fractured conflict theme, than a linear detective story. And i agree, the best from Rich Morgan is yet to come.

Hug a Cactusman today.
http://baslag.proboa...2.com/index.cgi

#34 User is offline   doolally2au 

• Lieutenant

Posted 30 November 2003 - 12:58 AM

Well, I finished Altered Carbon this morning. I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to Broken Angels (which I will start tomorrow), even though you lot have given it luke warm reviews in comparison to his first effort. It's quite a disturbing concept, especially the idea that other people/corporations can buy your stored body for their own use, and the idea of being downloaded into a totally different type of body (argh, that image of the broken-down middle aged white man returning to his young black family Posted Image) I read Brin's Kiln People earlier this year, and overall I'd say I'd prefer to have dittos running around.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
A chicken crossing the road is poultry in motion.
Reintarnation: Coming back to life as a hillbilly

#35 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 07 April 2005 - 03:04 AM

Finished Woken Furies last night...Slightly disappointed. The end smacks very much of deus ex machina.
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#36 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 06 April 2005 - 09:51 AM

Must. Purchase. Immediately.

- Abyss, slave to the market.

#37 Guest_bluesman_*

Posted 04 May 2005 - 04:44 AM

Ok. I finished the book and it was an enjoyable read. However I wonder how much further this Kovacs story can be taken, it sort of feels like closure for his story. One also got a pretty good idea what happened to those Martians, I wonder if there's any point in dwelling further on that subject?
BM

#38 Guest_bluesman_*

Posted 26 April 2005 - 03:04 PM

Got myself a signed copy today. Wohoo Posted Image.

BM

#39 Guest_Pale Remnants_*

Posted 07 March 2004 - 01:30 PM

Thanks Mike.

It's good to hear that Morgan is returning to the Detective Noir style of "Altered carbon" after the patchy Multi War viewpoint of "Broken Angels".

I've read a lot of positive reviews of "Market Forces" but the subject matter ( Capitalist Future Satrire etc ) does not appeal to me at present...mainly as Satire bores the tits off me ( See Bremner Bird , Private Eye, Dead Ringers, Michael Moore etc ).

I'll wait for his next Kovacs Novel

#40 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 26 April 2005 - 12:09 PM

I've seen the TPB in Ottawa and Toronto. $25'ish.

- Abyss, nano-weapon.

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users