Malazan Empire: Richard Morgan - Malazan Empire

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Richard Morgan Takeshi Kovacs books (mostly)

#41 Guest_Reave the Just_*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 15 March 2004 - 01:54 AM

picked up altered carbon for £1.90 in a second hand bookshop in Worthing, West Sussex on saturday (and redemption ark for 1.65) - yippeee

When in Rome, do the Jerk

#42 Guest_FizbansTalking_Hat_*

Posted 21 June 2005 - 06:14 PM

Naw, I'm going to read them in order of publishing date, there has to be a reason he breaks it up like that, besides I wont be touching Morgan for another few months as I'm currently reading all the Malazan Books so for a while I'm set, cheers though.

#43 Guest_Devorn_*

Posted 09 October 2003 - 02:11 AM

Thanks, I've caught up on that last thread.

Pale - What did you think of Broken Angels it was a depature from the Dectective noir, but I still enjoyed it. I think he might go the massive space opera route if he writes any more in that universe setting. Not sure if a single perspective will be good enough for that kind of story expansion.

--------------------------
The personal, as everyone's so soding fond of saying, is political. So if some idiot politician, some power player, tries to execute polices that harm you or those you care about, TAKE IT PERSONALLY.

Altered Carbon - Richard Morgan

#44 Guest_Mithfânion_*

Posted 27 November 2003 - 09:06 AM

Stone

Orion's arm? Is there an Intermediate arm as well?...Sorry...astronomy joke

I admit I didn't get it Posted Image

Orion's Arm is a huge site dedicated to Science fiction in its various stages (interplanetary war, far future, near future, development of nanotech, A.I. etc). It's pretty cool and I love to read it.

http://www.orionsarm.com/

The reason I mentioned it is because you said "it takes an idea (quite a few of them, in fact) and takes it to it's logical (and in this case, awful) conclusion.

I was reminded of Orion's Arm because they often name that as one of the problems of SF, something they strive to do every time, which is take events to their logical conclusion.

"And those that endure in Middle-earth and come not to Mandos shall grow weary of the world as with a great burden, and shall wane, and become as shadows of regret before the younger race that cometh after."

#45 User is offline   stone monkey 

• I'm the baddest man alive and I don't plan to die...
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods

Posted 11 November 2003 - 04:18 AM

Orion's arm? Is there an Intermediate arm as well?...Sorry...astronomy joke..(or attempt at one Posted Image). Can't say I've heard of it

----------------
Pretentious Dilletante of the House of Leaves

"Guess I picked the wrong day to give up sniffing glue!"
If an opinion contrary to your own makes you angry, that is a sign that you are subconsciously aware of having no good reason for thinking as you do. If some one maintains that two and two are five, or that Iceland is on the equator, you feel pity rather than anger, unless you know so little of arithmetic or geography that his opinion shakes your own contrary conviction. … So whenever you find yourself getting angry about a difference of opinion, be on your guard; you will probably find, on examination, that your belief is going beyond what the evidence warrants. Bertrand Russell

#46 Guest_bluesman_*

Posted 23 June 2005 - 01:51 PM

Well. I wish I hadn't read Memories of Ice so I would have something useful to look forward to Posted Image. Except for Olympus I'm short of ideas of what to read next.

Memories of Ice is without doubt the best in the Malazan series yet.

BM

#47 Guest_FizbansTalking_Hat_*

Posted 24 June 2005 - 03:16 PM

I think the reason people like Altered Carbon is that it just throws you in a very different world, everything is strange and new and the idea of Re-sleeving is so cool you're just amazed and the character of Kovacs is still fresh.

I enjoyed Broken Angels but it wasn't as fast a read as Carbon was, I don't know about Market or Furies, but we'll see, cheers.

#48 Guest_bluesman_*

Posted 21 June 2005 - 04:14 PM

I'd read WF first. It's the 2nd best book he's written and is well tied in with AC and BA.

BM

#49 Guest_Duiker_*

Posted 12 February 2004 - 12:07 PM

Thought Altered Carbon was great and very cool. Just finished it. It seems Broken Angels is
(slightly less good, but still) a must read. Anyone already read Market Forces?

------------------------------
Stake Your Claim. Live the Legend. A World Awaits. The World of Warcraft (release Summer 2004) But for now, SWG will suffice

#50 Guest_Pale Remnants_*

Posted 08 October 2003 - 12:49 PM

I've read both. I started a thread a while back.

This is some of the best SF Dectective noir i have ever read. A mixture of Raymond Chandler, William Gibson and Peter F Hamiltion.

Great action and plotting. It's not often first person narratives impress me. But this work is something special.

Hug a Cactusman today.
http://baslag.proboa...2.com/index.cgi

#51 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 20 April 2005 - 08:50 AM

Do we know when the paperback of Woken Furies is coming out?
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#52 Guest_Mithfânion_*

Posted 09 November 2003 - 09:38 AM

It does what all good SF should do: it takes an idea (quite a few of them, in fact) and takes it to it's logical (and in this case, awful) conclusion.

Are you familiar with the Orion's Arm project Stone? Posted Image

"And those that endure in Middle-earth and come not to Mandos shall grow weary of the world as with a great burden, and shall wane, and become as shadows of regret before the younger race that cometh after."

#53 User is offline   Clarkesworld Books 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 April 2005 - 04:33 PM

The import trade paperback is out, but the US trade paperback isn't scheduled yet. I just checked the Random House ordering system.

-Neil

#54 User is offline   drinksinbars 

• Soletaken
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 22 June 2005 - 02:28 AM

he wrote market forces first though and couldnt get it published. its set way in the past compared to the others and doesnt touch much ont he kovacs world beyond a loathjing of corporations that morgan seems to possess. i still really enjoyed it, but chris faulkner aint as good a character as kovacs.

#55 Guest_Duiker_*

Posted 19 February 2004 - 05:33 AM

I like military stuff more than hard-boiled. Aargh this makes me want to read BA even more!
All hail Morgan!
And MF will rock too, I'm sure of it.

Edit- couldn't resist getting Broken Angels in Waterstones yesterday. Started it immediately (although I'm bizzy with Karsa's journey in you-knpw-which book) and must say I liked it thus far.

Man's the measure of all things

[This message was edited by Duiker on 25 February 2004 at 10:23 AM.]

#56 Guest_Devorn_*

Posted 08 October 2003 - 09:19 AM

So has anyone here read Richard Morgans 2 books ? :
Altered Carbon
Broken Angels

I enjoyed them both, but the first is slightly better, though I liked the soul vivisection in the second book. It has a brilliantly realised future scope on separating the body from the mind.
--------------------------
The personal, as everyone's so soding fond of saying, is political. So if some idiot politician, some power player, tries to execute polices that harm you or those you care about, TAKE IT PERSONALLY.

Altered Carbon - Richard Morgan

#57 Guest_Duiker_*

Posted 29 February 2004 - 01:39 PM

Finished Broken Angels and enjoyed it every bit as much as AC. Anyone read Market Forces? It has an UK hc release in march I think.

Man's the measure of all things

#58 User is offline   Fist Gamet 

• Mortal Sword
  • Interests:Writing, reading, writing, climbing, writing, scuba diving and writing (not at the same time)

Posted 24 June 2005 - 12:56 PM

Heading towards the climax of Broken Angels and thoroughly enjoying it. Still reckon Altered Carbon is a touch better but still an excellent read. Like AC, I cannot tell where the story is going and the unexpected twists have kept me up nights Posted Image
Victory is mine!

#59 User is offline   Rich the Great 

• First Sword

Posted 24 June 2005 - 01:41 PM

Woken Furies was rather good, was really surprised that my library even had it. Better than Broken Angel but not quite up there with Altered Carbon.

#60 Guest_syntaxhorror_*

Posted 15 July 2005 - 07:35 AM

His next book will be out May 2006. The title is The Black Man. Don't know if it is a Kovacs book though.

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users