Malazan Empire: D'rek's Map of Wu [SPOILERS, both explicit and implicit!] - Malazan Empire

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

D'rek's Map of Wu [SPOILERS, both explicit and implicit!]

#1 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 11 June 2011 - 03:17 AM

Like it said in the title: SPOILERS. You've been warned.

So anyways, for a while now I've been working on my own world map of Wu, distinct from Wert's tremendous one (which can be found here). For my version, I wanted to do it in the same style as the maps that are provided in the books, so it began by scaling and placing those around in a single file. Since I have no artistic talent, the rest was created by copyi+pasting small parts of the book-supplied maps. It's more obvious in some places - where I got lazy - than in others.

For areas with no official maps, I've tried to shape the land to match events and depictions from the book. That's easy enough somewhere like in south-central Lether, where it is known that skirting the Glass Desert puts you a few days away from the coast. But I also tried to incorporate some more tenuous ideas. So, for example, Shal-Morzinn - where the custom is to burn bodies, the rulers can appreciate a fine sea-craft and the nation is isolationist - is in a swampy area surrounded by lakes where poor ground and frequent flooding would make burying the dead unappealing, yet they have ample reason to have a large ship industry and natural borders surrounding their territory. You can see this area at the southern-most point of the 7C continent.

Lastly, I erased all the names and symbols of the maps and redrew the geographical features beneath them, so now the map is a purely geographical one. I intend to add the cities and names back in later as separate layers in the application I'm developing this in so I can unify the fonts and customize the level of features showing.

Any feedback and critique is very welcome. Since the map is already spoilerific to a degree and there was ample warning above on-thread, you can discuss/critique/etc without spoilers.

Latest version: 11

Preview:
Spoiler

Smaller:
Spoiler

jpg:
Spoiler

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#2 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 11 June 2011 - 03:19 AM

Holy balls.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#3 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Football

Posted 11 June 2011 - 03:22 AM

Letheras and Kolanse is a big ass continent.

What's directly west of Quon? I assume 7 Cities is north of Falar... is it the Jhag Odhan?
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#4 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 11 June 2011 - 03:40 AM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 11 June 2011 - 03:22 AM, said:

Letheras and Kolanse is a big ass continent.

What's directly west of Quon? I assume 7 Cities is north of Falar... is it the Jhag Odhan?

The peninsula in the middle of the 7C continent is the Catal Sea, at the bottom of which is Nemil. Between 7C (the nation/sub-continent) and Nemil would be the Jhag Odhan. South of Nemil would be Shal-Morzinn. The rugged peninsula north-west of the Catal Sea would be Perish. And all the area on the west side of 7C would be places never talked about in the books -_-

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#5 User is offline   King Bear 

• Furry
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 11 June 2011 - 03:55 AM

awesome

#6 User is offline   busy monster 

• Sergeant
  • PipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 11 June 2011 - 05:48 AM

I like. most fan made maps grate on me, since they're very smooth lines where the ocean means the sand. Reality is nothing like that, by any stretch.

I'd actually be interested in sketching up a bit more complex version by hand (yes. I find by hand is the best for getting that rugged shoreline design done), and doing a mild bit of coloring-- if I could get the forests, deserts, mountains highlighted, I might start on it Sunday. I could probably sketch it up in a day or two (scanning, another matter -_-).

I've taken a few notes from other books I've read, maps I've drawn (mostly my own), and just designs I've seen. PM me if you're interested in me doing it, I'll print out this version on Sunday if so. Also, oceans, continents, basic names appreciated. Just because. That's what maps have.

#7 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 11 June 2011 - 06:11 AM

Hmmm, not to be a pedantic bear, but didn't we agree that Jacuruku was indeed west of Korel and there was a distinct pattern for the CG's falling down as a line of craters between Fist and Kolanse, with Jacuruku in the middle?
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#8 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• Necromancer Extraordinaire
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Glass slides with entrapped bits of colored tissue
  • Around, just quiet....er

Posted 11 June 2011 - 01:43 PM

My word D'rek. I've been waiting for this ever since you mentioned it, but wow, this is amazing.
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#9 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• Necromancer Extraordinaire
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Glass slides with entrapped bits of colored tissue
  • Around, just quiet....er

Posted 11 June 2011 - 01:46 PM

Sorry to double post, but as for input, look at the map in the House of Chains for the northern tip of Genabackis. You have some small alterations that need to be made there.
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#10 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 11 June 2011 - 03:13 PM

Drek, your just freaking awesome.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#11 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 11 June 2011 - 07:09 PM

You've probably already thought about this, but isn't Lether kinda, er... well, it seems really far south. Like, below Wu's equator. Seems odd with the way the the climates of various places on that continent are described.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#12 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Not much

Posted 11 June 2011 - 08:46 PM

View PostKanese S, on 11 June 2011 - 07:09 PM, said:

You've probably already thought about this, but isn't Lether kinda, er... well, it seems really far south. Like, below Wu's equator. Seems odd with the way the the climates of various places on that continent are described.

Well, most of the ice there is due to Gothos' ritual and starts to melt as soon as it unravels,which would point towards a temperate/hot climate.
Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#13 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 11 June 2011 - 08:49 PM

View PostBauchelain the Evil, on 11 June 2011 - 08:46 PM, said:

Well, most of the ice there is due to Gothos' ritual and starts to melt as soon as it unravels,which would point towards a temperate/hot climate.

This. Omtose Phellack rituals played havoc with Wu.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#14 User is offline   Jade-Green Pig-Hog Swine-Beast 

• Knight Seneschal
  • Interests:Fencing, ninpo, didjeridu, good books, good films and irn-bru.
  • Pre-dinner mayonnaise -- it's good for you!

Posted 11 June 2011 - 08:53 PM

AWESOME STUFF! I'm just wondering what the landmass to the far east is...?
The love I bear thee can afford no better term than this: thou art a villain.

"Perhaps we think up our own destinies and so, in a sense, deserve whatever happens to us, for not having had the wit to imagine something better." Iain Banks

#15 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 11 June 2011 - 08:57 PM

Bael & Assail, I think.

#16 User is offline   Jade-Green Pig-Hog Swine-Beast 

• Knight Seneschal
  • Interests:Fencing, ninpo, didjeridu, good books, good films and irn-bru.
  • Pre-dinner mayonnaise -- it's good for you!

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:01 PM

Ah yes, I'd forgotten about that.
The love I bear thee can afford no better term than this: thou art a villain.

"Perhaps we think up our own destinies and so, in a sense, deserve whatever happens to us, for not having had the wit to imagine something better." Iain Banks

#17 User is offline   Kanese S's 

• TMI Frigate Bird of Low House PEN
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 12 June 2011 - 12:12 AM

View PostBauchelain the Evil, on 11 June 2011 - 08:46 PM, said:

Oh, right. I just always read the part that the Edur were from as being chillier, but I guess the ice to the northeast of them from the sorcery explains that.
Laseen did nothing wrong.

I demand Telorast & Curdle plushies.

#18 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 12 June 2011 - 05:00 AM

This is amazing, and I mean AMAZING, so I kinda hate to be the guy to say this, but am I the only one who thinks the map of Wu looks like
Spoiler

"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#19 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 12 June 2011 - 07:01 AM

Haha the greatest revelation!
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#20 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 12 June 2011 - 02:48 PM

Thanks for the compliments, everyone, makes the long hours spent in paint all worth it! -_-

View PostGothos, on 11 June 2011 - 06:11 AM, said:

Hmmm, not to be a pedantic bear, but didn't we agree that Jacuruku was indeed west of Korel and there was a distinct pattern for the CG's falling down as a line of craters between Fist and Kolanse, with Jacuruku in the middle?

It's still a big point of debate. The map Hetan did up that was based on a viewing of SE's own map did have it on the west of Korel, so I am deviating from that in this regard, but to me an eastern Jacuruku makes more sense for Shurq Elalle's pirating and Iron Bars journeys in RotCG. Kyle and company are the only other ones that can give us some info on it, but depending on the shape of Jacuruku and Stratem it could really work either way for them.

More on that can be found in the DoD World Map thread, starting at post 178. Snake has a good argument for Jacuruku being on the west, and I follow it up with an east-side rebuttal.

View PostGust Hubb, on 11 June 2011 - 01:46 PM, said:

Sorry to double post, but as for input, look at the map in the House of Chains for the northern tip of Genabackis. You have some small alterations that need to be made there.

I didn't incorporate the Northwest Genebackis map from HoC because it was too detailed for the small area and therefore didn't scale well with the rest of the map. It does have more detail that the GotM/MoI Genabackis maps, though, so I would like to try and get some of the details from it into the final version, especially the towns and forests.

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 12 June 2011 - 05:00 AM, said:

This is amazing, and I mean AMAZING, so I kinda hate to be the guy to say this, but am I the only one who thinks the map of Wu looks like
Spoiler

Oh god, I KNOW!!! Every time I try to make a peninsula it turns into a penis. So then I try to put another one next to it and roughen the coasts up to get rid of it, and now the inlet looks like a penis! And don't get me started on the islands! Whether it's my subconscious or the method or what, they just won't go away!

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users