Malazan Empire: D'rek's Map of Wu [SPOILERS, both explicit and implicit!] - Malazan Empire

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

D'rek's Map of Wu [SPOILERS, both explicit and implicit!]

#21 User is offline   Gust Hubb 

• Necromancer Extraordinaire
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Glass slides with entrapped bits of colored tissue
  • Around, just quiet....er

Posted 12 June 2011 - 03:39 PM

D'rek, I was mostly pointing out the lake orientation on the HoC map. Plus, there needs to be room for the plateaus.
"You don't clean u other peoples messes.... You roll in them like a dog on leftover smoked whitefish torn out f the trash by raccoons after Sunday brunch on a hot day."
~Abyss

#22 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:15 PM

View PostGust Hubb, on 12 June 2011 - 03:39 PM, said:

D'rek, I was mostly pointing out the lake orientation on the HoC map. Plus, there needs to be room for the plateaus.

Lake Blued/Owndos Sea is inconsistent between the maps, are there any other lake problems? The plateaus are there, they're just a part of the mountain range and not shown in intricate detail on the genabackis map in MoI.

For comparison:

Nortwhest Genabackis Map (from HoC):
Spoiler

Genabackis Map (from MoI):
Spoiler

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#23 User is offline   Beezulbubba 

• ---
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 13 June 2011 - 11:04 PM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 12 June 2011 - 05:00 AM, said:

This is amazing, and I mean AMAZING, so I kinda hate to be the guy to say this, but am I the only one who thinks the map of Wu looks like
Spoiler

I didn't really get that at all. Genabakis maybe, but too me it looks like a prototypical turd.

#24 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:38 PM

Updated the map to include the Orb Sceptre Throne map of southern Genebackis, and also added in some changes to make the centre of the Lether continent less boring.

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#25 User is offline   Zaloopa 

• Photomancer
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

Very nice map! For a long time I was thinking of scanning the maps in all the books I have and arranging them in photoshop to make a world map, but you've already done better than I ever would have. Now I just need to find some time when the large format photoprinter at work isn't being watched too closely so I can print it out as a huge poster. :D
Everything is a Nemesis plot.

#26 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:50 AM

Possible update with a quick and dirty paste of Jacuruku into it.

Spoiler

Another two months and we can put Assail in, and have the final piece of the puzzle B)

Some existing thoughts: Assail seems to be much closer to the other continents than on this map. It appears to be pretty easy to get to (the Wrecking Coast aside), it's just that everyone avoids it like the plague. I've moved it over closer to Genabackis and Korel. In addition, I believe based on the previous discussions that Genabackis should be slightly bigger and somewhat closer to Seven Cities, but I've left it where it is for now. Also, whilst I believe Lether is huge, it's not quite as big as the Seven Cities continent. I think Hetan said it was about two-thirds the size in a previous thread?

This post has been edited by Werthead: 14 May 2014 - 09:05 PM

Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#27 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:25 PM

Thanks Werthead. Any chance you could upload your maps to the Wikia as well?

http://malazan.wikia...i/Category:Maps

I have a link to your other map on the encyclopaedia here under my favourites because I use it so frequently as a reference tool. I am sure I am not the only one. Your work is definitely appreciated. Look forward to having the final piece of the jigsaw... having said that... the Kharkanas books might add a few more details B)

#28 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:19 PM

View PostWerthead, on 07 May 2014 - 09:50 AM, said:

Possible update with a quick and dirty paste of Jacuruku into it.

Spoiler

Another two months and we can put Assail in, and have the final piece of the puzzle B)

Some existing thoughts: Assail seems to be much closer to the other continents than on this map. It appears to be pretty easy to get to (the Wrecking Coast aside), it's just that everyone avoids it like the plague. I've moved it over closer to Genabackis and Korel. In addition, I believe based on the previous discussions that Genabackis should be slightly bigger and somewhat closer to Seven Cities, but I've left it where it is for now. Also, whilst I believe Lether is huge, it's not quite as big as the Seven Cities continent. I think Hetan said it was about two-thirds the size in a previous thread?

Yeah, I am planning to put aside some time this summer once Assail is out to get both it and Jacuruku into this properly.

I had Assail where it is because it put the Wrecking Coast almost in a straight line between Darujhistan and the Wastelands, which gives Mappo and co. a good reason to wind up at the Wrecking Coast in-between those two places. Seemed as good an idea as any until we get the actual map of it to learn its true shape.

I'm not convinced about the sizes of Genebackis/7C/Lether and how they compare. Steve has said some things, Hetan has said others, and then there is the scales shown on the maps in the books... and none of these 3 things agree with the other 2. I mainly based the sizes in this map on the scales from the books, and also on the seeming travel times of characters/armies. Given how long it seems the Sengar brothers traveled to reach the sword, the armies moving across Lether and then through the Wastelands+Glass Desert, versus armies traveling to Y'Ghatan or people going from Pale to Darujhistan, or from southern Genebackis to Darujhistan... etc etc... also things like the north Lether ice fields being so big helps to explain the isolation of the Edur, and likewise the minimal cross-knowledge of Lether and the Malazan empire.

But it's all just a big shot in the dark to some extent, too.

I'd say western 7C is the most variable part. I feel like the parts of the Lether continent I added in compared to the size of the parts of Lether that come from the maps line up very well with the plot there - I wouldn't want to change that part much. But western 7C is so described so sparsely it could be much bigger or much smaller and have a very different shape, as needed. My mental placement of Shal-Morzinn ended up being quite wrong, anyways.

#29 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:09 PM

I finally seem to have killed Photobucket with bandwidth, so I switched to using Blogger instead. So that means the map is visible again :wallbash:

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."

#30 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 19 May 2014 - 04:35 PM

Looking at the past information, it appears that the mapped bit of Seven Cities is only one-third of the whole continent, the whole 7C continent is the largest continent on the planet and Lether is two-thirds its size. Whilst Lether is also huge, I'm not sure it's that huge. We're talking about the crossing of the Glass Desert alone being longer than the entire Chain of Dogs, which seems extreme.

I'm also pretty certain that SE later decided not to rely on the scale bars, which is why they were removed from the later maps (not that we ever found out how big a 'league' is in his parlance in the first place, or whether Letherii leagues and Malazan leagues were the same thing).

#31 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 23 May 2014 - 01:53 PM

View PostWerthead, on 19 May 2014 - 04:35 PM, said:

Looking at the past information, it appears that the mapped bit of Seven Cities is only one-third of the whole continent, the whole 7C continent is the largest continent on the planet and Lether is two-thirds its size. Whilst Lether is also huge, I'm not sure it's that huge. We're talking about the crossing of the Glass Desert alone being longer than the entire Chain of Dogs, which seems extreme.

I'm also pretty certain that SE later decided not to rely on the scale bars, which is why they were removed from the later maps (not that we ever found out how big a 'league' is in his parlance in the first place, or whether Letherii leagues and Malazan leagues were the same thing).

Fair enough, the distance across the wastelands and desert is a bit too much compared to the rest of the world. I think it scales with the rest of Lether well, though, so in my working version of the map I have resized the whole continent down to about 60%. I could have sworn I'd based its current size off of a scale bar, but looking for Lether maps now I don't see any. I'll have to check my copy of MT next time I see it. In any case, you're right we probably can't rely on scale bars too much.

On your modified version, Wert, I think Jacuruku is too far north. It could hardly be that isolated if it's that close to Quon Tali/Drift Avalii. Since it is now confirmed to be west of Korel, I guess the icebergs Ereko and Kyle see in RotCG to their south really are the ice fields surrounding Jacuruku, and with your current positioning of it I don't think those could be south of them, either. That being said, the various direction comments from RotCG about Jacuruku don't really all work anymore, I think, now that the jungles of it are on the east side of the continent. Oh well.

Also, you have Bael marked too far south. Bael is just the small middle areas between "Assail lands" and Nabraja, right? I would put Nabraja where you have Bael marked and write in Bael around the middle of the continent.

This post has been edited by D'rek: 23 May 2014 - 01:56 PM

#32 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 24 May 2014 - 05:10 PM

Yeah, the scale bar is only on the MT map of north-west Lether. The maps in RG and DoD showing the whole western half of the continent don't have a bar on them.

It could hardly be that isolated if it's that close to Quon Tali/Drift Avalii

It's an interesting one, especially as we also have to account for the White Spires Ocean running from Kolanse all the way to Stratem without Jacuruku interrupting it too much (otherwise we'd have two separate seas) and Jacuruku also lying at the south-western end of the Ocean/Strait of Storms, which lies just south of Quon Tali. Some of this might be dealt with by resizing Jacuruku: it's probably too big on my version. I think Mal and Hetan said Jacuruku was actually smaller than Quon Tali or Korel and the "Isle of Jacuruku" designation in B&B suggests that it may be in that grey area between small continent and large island.

#33 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 25 May 2014 - 06:56 AM

Toyed around with this somewhat tonight. Here's what I put together:

Spoiler

And with some region/nation names added:
Spoiler

Genostel/Cabal/Umryg/etc locations are just random guesses. Moved Assail closer, resized Lether continent, moved Genebackis a bit, added in Jacuruku (a tiny bit smaller than in yours, Wert).

This post has been edited by D'rek: 25 May 2014 - 06:59 AM

#34 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 25 May 2014 - 12:20 PM

Genostel isn't on the map is it?

Based on Hetan's info from the other thread, it appears to be one very large island (but not continent-sized) and a few surrounding islands, maybe halfway from Genabackis to western Seven Cities?

#35 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 25 May 2014 - 04:00 PM

Kudos D'rek, map looks amazing. I like the re-sized continents - Lether was looking absurdly large before.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#36 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 25 May 2014 - 06:53 PM

View PostWerthead, on 25 May 2014 - 12:20 PM, said:

Genostel isn't on the map is it?

Based on Hetan's info from the other thread, it appears to be one very large island (but not continent-sized) and a few surrounding islands, maybe halfway from Genabackis to western Seven Cities?

I think all we know about Genostel is that it is an archipelago, and that (from Lady Envy in MoI) it is "halfway around the world" from the Pannion Domin. I randomly decided to put it at the islands between the Letheri and 7C continents, but it could be almost anywhere we want it to be.

#37 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 25 May 2014 - 07:40 PM

I just don't like the size of the Letherii continent. It's HUGE. I know you tried to take travel times into consideration and that has a part to play in the massive middle section, but I'd rather it be some mystical/god-slain reason that makes the Glass Desert so impossible to pass as opposed to nearly being the size of Quon Tali.

Bluerose can't possibly be that large?
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#38 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 25 May 2014 - 08:05 PM

Hetan's map (based on SE's) does clearly show Genostel in that position between between Genabackis and 7C though. Give that that ocean (the Rust Ocean) appears to be the largest on Wu, it can still be quite distant in that position, whilst also explaining how the Genostellians did invade Genabackis at one point in the past.

As for Lether, it is a massive continent, the second-largest on the planet (after the full Seven Cities supercontinent). Not as big as on the first map, but yeah, it's a big one.

Quon Tali does feel a little small (it's about the size of Australia, I think) considering all the action that happens on it and the sheer number of cultures and cities that appear on it, but then so does Europe on a map.

#39 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 26 May 2014 - 01:08 AM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 25 May 2014 - 07:40 PM, said:

I just don't like the size of the Letherii continent. It's HUGE. I know you tried to take travel times into consideration and that has a part to play in the massive middle section, but I'd rather it be some mystical/god-slain reason that makes the Glass Desert so impossible to pass as opposed to nearly being the size of Quon Tali.

Bluerose can't possibly be that large?

If the Glass Desert was small, they would have just gone around it.

#40 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 03 July 2014 - 10:30 PM

From the Assail extract, it sounds like the Bloodmare Ocean is quite a bit smaller than previously thought: Assail is only two weeks' travel to the east of Korel and Kyle suggests it should be called more of a strait than an ocean. It is also located more like south or even south-west of the Galatan Sweep off Genabackis's south-eastern coast.

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users