• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Anime

#4701 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 11 August 2022 - 06:37 PM

Jin-roh is on Retrocrush. Though I have no idea what the overlap in catalogues between U.S. and Canada is for pretty much any service.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#4702 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 12 August 2022 - 08:42 PM

View PostD, on 11 August 2022 - 02:40 AM, said:

View PostCancelled, on 11 August 2022 - 02:30 AM, said:

Does [Princess Monoke] one get the D stamp of approval? ;)

Of course! It's a total classic!

Speaking of the D stamp of approval ( ;) ) I recentaly watched the 90s anime movie Jin-roh (subtitled the Wolf Brigade) which was... fascinating! Hard to describe... it's kind of a espionage-thriller, and kind of a philosophical character study, and ultimately left me feeling really uneasy in an "I don't like this feeling but I appreciate how the movie made me feel it" kind of way I guess? The whole opening sequence of a riot being suppressed is breathtakingly intense and well animated, too. Reminds me a lot of the Patlabor movie - same sort of themes and that dark, realistic visual style.

Glad you watched and enjoyed it. I remember i'd watched it a few years ago. THe animation and style is awesome for it. I found the frequent allusions to red riding hood to be interesting given it's a japanese story. I feel like i'd appreaciate it more on a rewatch 10 years later.

#4703 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 19 August 2022 - 03:53 PM

Those in the know... is One Piece worth watching?

Always had an interest but one I never got around to and now with a million episodes I don't want to start it if its turd!

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#4704 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 19 August 2022 - 04:06 PM

View Postchamp, on 19 August 2022 - 03:53 PM, said:

Always had an interest but one I never got around to and now with a million episodes I don't want to start it if its turd!

Yes. The first bunch of eps feel a little generic and are VERY much table setting...but it gets SOOOOOOO good once they get onto the Grand Line.

The episode that sold me is Episode 34 (REUNITED). That's where I feel it goes from good to GREAT.

And a whole slew of the arcs are currently on Netflix too (up to Water 7 now I think).
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4705 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 19 August 2022 - 05:53 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 19 August 2022 - 04:06 PM, said:

Yes. The first bunch of eps feel a little generic and are VERY much table setting...but it gets SOOOOOOO good once they get onto the Grand Line.

The episode that sold me is Episode 34 (REUNITED). That's where I feel it goes from good to GREAT.

And a whole slew of the arcs are currently on Netflix too (up to Water 7 now I think).

That is what I was hoping to hear, I'll check it out, cheers.

I think I may have watched the first five or so eps years ago but it either didn't take at the time or something else got in the way.

It's just a case of getting through the early eps me thinkz, like you say shows like this tend to take a bit of time to get going.

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#4706 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 20 August 2022 - 03:43 PM

In my opinion... no. Regardless of whether the actual story being told is a great one or not, the turgidly-paced anime is a bad, bad way of telling that story. No story can survive being excruciatingly spread over 1000 episodes like that. And in the same amount of time it takes to watch those 1000 episodes you could watch 38 different 2-cour shows that are all told at a proper pace.

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#4707 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 20 August 2022 - 06:25 PM

View PostD, on 20 August 2022 - 03:43 PM, said:

In my opinion... no. Regardless of whether the actual story being told is a great one or not, the turgidly-paced anime is a bad, bad way of telling that story. No story can survive being excruciatingly spread over 1000 episodes like that. And in the same amount of time it takes to watch those 1000 episodes you could watch 38 different 2-cour shows that are all told at a proper pace.

Just to echo this.

You could experience so much more by watching so many other shows (including anime and other mediums) and get so much more out of your life of watching this.

I have a friend who started watching one piece a few months back. She is enjoying it, but time is also something she has tons of. I don't have tons of time so my consumption of anime is pretty limited. I'd make the call to watch one piece one the basis of how much time it's going to take you and ask yourself do you have that time to spare?

On another topic. is anyone else here watching the new rwby animation? I am positively enjoying it! I love how they are adding context to much of the original trailers, but also taking the characters and going into a different direction and taking the time to explore the characters. The entire arc so far heavily revolves around weiss and does an amazing job of exploring the character that didin't happen in season 1.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by LinearPhilosopher: 20 August 2022 - 06:31 PM

#4708 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 22 August 2022 - 03:53 AM

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 20 August 2022 - 06:25 PM, said:

On another topic. is anyone else here watching the new rwby animation? I am positively enjoying it! I love how they are adding context to much of the original trailers, but also taking the characters and going into a different direction and taking the time to explore the characters. The entire arc so far heavily revolves around weiss and does an amazing job of exploring the character that didin't happen in season 1.

Spoiler

I really enjoyed the first 3 episodes recapping the original season 1, the animation/visuals on some of those scenes were out of this world, all the more so when you go and remind yourself how crude the original season 1 looked.

I'm a couple epiosdes behind, but haven't been loving the new storyline part very much so far. There's some good jokes/moments in there, but the intentional repetitiveness isn't working for me, and Weiss' conflict being played up to ridiculous degrees in the dream world feels too silly and over the top? And the visuals dropped a ton after those recap episodes.

#4709 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 22 August 2022 - 11:00 PM

View PostD, on 22 August 2022 - 03:53 AM, said:

Spoiler

I really enjoyed the first 3 episodes recapping the original season 1, the animation/visuals on some of those scenes were out of this world, all the more so when you go and remind yourself how crude the original season 1 looked.

I'm a couple epiosdes behind, but haven't been loving the new storyline part very much so far. There's some good jokes/moments in there, but the intentional repetitiveness isn't working for me, and Weiss' conflict being played up to ridiculous degrees in the dream world feels too silly and over the top? And the visuals dropped a ton after those recap episodes.

Well to me what I like about them playing up weiss issues, is that to me this show was at it's best when it was exploring the interpersonal relationships between the characters. I don't recall much emphasis on weiss character change in the original if any. There were a few scenes but that's about it. So in a way they're spending more time on the part of the show I liked the most.

#4710 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 23 August 2022 - 04:17 AM

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 22 August 2022 - 11:00 PM, said:

View PostD, on 22 August 2022 - 03:53 AM, said:

Spoiler

Well to me what I like about them playing up weiss issues, is that to me this show was at it's best when it was exploring the interpersonal relationships between the characters. I don't recall much emphasis on weiss character change in the original if any. There were a few scenes but that's about it. So in a way they're spending more time on the part of the show I liked the most.

Yeah, the first few seasons of the original were so short they didn't really have time to put emphasis on any of the character relationships that much. Once Weiss and Blake make up at the end of season 1 it's not really touched on again and you have to just assume they gradually got to know each other better in the timeskip between season 1 and 2 (though even then, IIRC Weiss is still the cautious, by-the-book one contrary to the other 3 in season 2, the "Ice Queen" joke comes from there).

It just feels weird to me having this whole dream/possession plot fixated entirely on Weiss' issues/relationships and not anyone else's, I guess, the way a real remake of the first few seasons of the original with full-length episodes probably would have.

#4711 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 27 August 2022 - 10:28 PM

rwby spoiler

Spoiler

#4712 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 29 August 2022 - 05:32 PM

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 27 August 2022 - 10:28 PM, said:

rwby spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#4713 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 30 August 2022 - 07:53 AM

If one piece is too long, you could always petition the dog to leave the bar for a bit and abridge it.

But yes it is extremely long.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#4714 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 30 August 2022 - 11:48 PM

View PostD, on 29 August 2022 - 05:32 PM, said:

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 27 August 2022 - 10:28 PM, said:

rwby spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

yeah that was short lived...

#4715 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 02 September 2022 - 11:50 AM

SUTUOUN FURIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIi
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#4716 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 20 September 2022 - 03:44 AM

Halfway through Cyberpunk Edgerunners and it's a ton of fun.

#4717 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 20 September 2022 - 04:42 PM

This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of in the industry in a long time...like this is Capitalism-writ-large...a piece of art meant to be read that cannot feasibly be read, selling for north of 2k...

https://hypebeast.co...ok-release-info

I like OP as much as the next guy, but buying a 2k paperweight to display, is peak fucking 2022 nonsense. I hate everything about it.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4718 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 21 September 2022 - 09:16 PM

Is that even legal? Doesn't sound like he has a deal with the publisher...

#4719 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 September 2022 - 02:15 AM

View PostD, on 21 September 2022 - 09:16 PM, said:

Is that even legal? Doesn't sound like he has a deal with the publisher...

Good question. I have no idea.

#4720 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 22 September 2022 - 05:36 PM

Looked it up, apparently the artist, Ilan Manouach, is trying to say that his printed copy of the volumes is not copyrighted as it's his "sculptural material" and not a readable book....which is probably not going to fly and Oda's lawyers will rip it to shreds.

Share this topic:

• 241 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users