• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Anime

#4721 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 23 September 2022 - 12:23 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 22 September 2022 - 05:36 PM, said:

Looked it up, apparently the artist, Ilan Manouach, is trying to say that his printed copy of the volumes is not copyrighted as it's his "sculptural material" and not a readable book....which is probably not going to fly and Oda's lawyers will rip it to shreds.

Ha, good luck with that

In other news, finished off RWBY Ice Queendom. They brought back all the amazing Magia Record animators for the finale so it had some really fun action bits in the last couple episodes. Ended up being one of those "crap sandwiches" kind of shows, I'd say, where they go all out in the first few episodes, you get hooked, the middle is really boring (and in this case had some REALLY bad animation in places) but then they finish with a real bang. As someone who has seen most of RWBY it was pretty great seeing this side of it even though I thought the actual story was a slog, but for anyone who hasn't watched RWBY I wouldn't recommend it, or at most I'd say just watch the fight scenes.

Speaking of bad shows, I checked out the "Isekai Pharmacy" show, got 6 episodes through it and couldn't stand any more. It is also very boring. The idea of a modern day pharmacist essentially going back in time with all his knowledge of modern medicine/pharmacy but struggling to apply that to a medieval society that doesn't understand most of his science and he has to worry about not upsetting the guilds, how to source ingredients without global trades, people's superstitions, etc - that's a really interesting idea for a story. But that's not what happens... the guy immediately gets several magic powers to create any ingredient he ever wants and he's born a rich noble who is allowed to bypass the guild... everything is just so EASY for him. The church shows up thinking he's a magic heretic or whatever so you think ah he'll at least have to hide from the church authorities, but nope a priest guy gets one look at his magic powers, decides he's the holy messiah of their god, and then off-screen that guy somehow becomes the next bishop (in, like, a week at most - how convenient the current bishop died/retired at that exact moment or whatever) and covers for the protagonist without even being asked. The show isn't really even about the main character being a pharmacist, he was and becomes more of a doctor - the episodes are pretty much all about him diagnosing patients that have various illnesses, so why bother with the whole pharmacy thing at all? And a from-modern-times doctor having to figure out what old diseases that are far better known by the populace today could be pretty interesting, too... but again he gets a magical power that instantly tells him what ailments everyone he sees has, so there's no challenge or process to anything. It's infuriatingly dull.

Thank goodness Made in Abyss is still good and Isekai Uncle is actually quite funny, or I'd have nothing good to say about this season.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#4722 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 23 September 2022 - 07:55 AM

I actually dropped Isekai Uncle after two episodes. The jank animation and storyline did it in for me.

Made in Abyss was a happy time and I was not traumatised once, nope, never
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#4723 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 27 September 2022 - 07:41 AM

So I haven't been watching much simulcast anime for a loooong while, but Lycoris Recoil was fantastic. 'Cute Girls Doing Counter Terrorism' is perhaps an accurate genre description, but decent story and was fun overall.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#4724 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 27 September 2022 - 07:51 AM

View PostSilencer, on 27 September 2022 - 07:41 AM, said:

So I haven't been watching much simulcast anime for a loooong while, but Lycoris Recoil was fantastic. 'Cute Girls Doing Counter Terrorism' is perhaps an accurate genre description, but decent story and was fun overall.

Have you seen Hideo Kojima being an absolute simp over this show? I wouldn't be surprised if he's considering a license to make a stealth-em-up based on it, or that we will see something with a vaguely similar premise from him soon.

My thoughts on the show are pretty much the same as yours. Decent story, fun overall, nice memorable characters. I haven't enjoyed it as much as Call of the Night but it's not far off.

#4725 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 27 September 2022 - 07:59 AM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 27 September 2022 - 07:51 AM, said:

View PostSilencer, on 27 September 2022 - 07:41 AM, said:

Have you seen Hideo Kojima being an absolute simp over this show? I wouldn't be surprised if he's considering a license to make a stealth-em-up based on it, or that we will see something with a vaguely similar premise from him soon.

My thoughts on the show are pretty much the same as yours. Decent story, fun overall, nice memorable characters. I haven't enjoyed it as much as Call of the Night but it's not far off.

Haha, I'd heard that he was a fan but not much else. I'd be down for a game adaptation, though! XD
The John Wick-esque gunplay (mostly Chisato, admittedly) combined with anime styling was a real nice touch, and honestly anything that could replicate that in a video game would be amazing.

Call of the Night was also on my list of shows I was going to check out, but alas, not on Crunchyroll (at least in Australia).

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#4726 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 27 September 2022 - 11:53 AM

There's a lot of pictures of him in Lycoris merch, I think the most recent one was with the author/mangaka? Hell, even Yagoo is on it as well now. Not quite as great as the hype train would suggest, but still a lot of fun.

I'll start posting impressions of new shows as they come in for the next season, one has released early (something like I Am The Villainess And I Tamed The Last Boss) - effectively an incredibly similar premise to All Roads Lead To Doom, but the first episode seems fun and silly enough to give it a few more at least.

#4727 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 29 September 2022 - 07:46 AM

Episode 1 of Reincarnated as a Sword is out. I have read the light novels to a point so I was always gonna pick this up.

It's a silly standard isekai premise - Truck-kun strikes again and now he's a fucking SWORD. I wasn't expecting Fran's voice to be quite how it was but they captured the feel of the LN well. And they gave Fran the Blanc Rage Eye as well, which is always a nice touch.

#4728 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 29 September 2022 - 07:02 PM

UM! Oh man, Urusei Yatsura is alongside Akira as one of the very first anime's I EVER watched, so this is like candy to me. Looks great!

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4729 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 30 September 2022 - 10:52 PM

Are we sure it's not just a cynical cash grab of a remake? There's been a bunch of other old shows remade/revived recently that were... not good. I mean, I want to be optimistic, I really hope it's great, but so far my gut feeling is that the absolute best case scenario is it's just *as* good as the original Urusei Yatsura, right?

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#4730 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 03 October 2022 - 12:18 AM

So apparently MHA comes back and we got a new gundam entry.

#4731 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 04 October 2022 - 07:53 AM

Ok so the season is spinning up and... well.

Golden Kamuy S4 - it's Golden Kamuy, if you liked the other seasons then this is really a logical continuation of that. Still gritty, frowny drama interspersed with JoJo level silliness.

Spy x Family second cour - yep, it's SxF, still wish to die from a Yor kick thanks

Farmer Gets Stronger When He Improves Farmer Skills (idk the actual title) - absolute throwaway garbage, so of course I'm watching it

Villainess Seduces the Last Boss - Bakarina by a different name. Still isekai trash, so I'm watching it

Uzaki-chan s2 - well there's more of an 'oh they're for sure an item' vibe now. Kinda cute, could be fun.

Beast Tamer - feels like Banished from the Hero's Party but with ANIMAL EARS.

Koukyuu no Karasu - Has potential. Historical fantastical stuff.

POPUTEPIPIK-TWO - aw fuck this shit. I ain't watching this shitty anime again. *watches it again*

Management of Novice Alchemist - feels like filler trash, but it's kinda cute and it's fantasy anime so it's on the list.

#4732 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 20 October 2022 - 07:48 AM

So the big name anime of this season is... OK. I wonder how many who don't know the source material (I do not) will pick up on the very groomy vibes it has? If Mushoku decriers don't also decry this I'll be sorely disappointed.

It's largely another season of 'OK' with some gems in there - here's the rest of my list:

Muv-Luv Alternative S2: hey that's an awful pretty head you got there hahaha.

Bocchi the Rock: K-On but with social anxiety

DIY: girls make stuff. Very chilled out time filler

More than Married but Not Lovers: interesting premise. Could be wholesome

Eminence in Shadow: comical isekai, reasonable

Renai Flops: and so does any hint of credibility I clung to

Seiken Densetsu: I'm a Seiken fanboy so of COURSE I'm watching this

Master Has No Tail: Pretty good. I like the concept.

Bibliophile Princess: OK. Has potential.

Raven of the Inner Palace: see above

#4733 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 25 October 2022 - 11:51 AM

Further FURTHER thoughts. I am almost at 30 shows now.

Urusei Yatsura - very weird, looks great but uhhhhhhhhh the setting and premise feel kinda ass backwards now.

Galactic Heroes S4 - more of the same, but that same is pretty great. I've really come to appreciate this show lately.

#4734 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 27 October 2022 - 03:36 PM

Yeah this is a jam-packed season. Not necessarily good or bad jam, but there sure is a lot of it.

DIY is really impressing me. It's kind of just another moe cute girls do a thing slice of life show, sort of, but the characters are capturing me more than that kind of show usually does and the art style at first felt a bit weird but has really grown on me, it fits the show super super well. I like it. Where Akiba's Sailor Uniform earlier this year did "slice of life school girls and the animation is incredible for no particular reason" this feels like a more... uh, deliberate (not quite the right word) approach where they're not just doing a unique art style for the sake of it, it feels kind of paint-y, kind of deliberately undetailed at times, in a way that fits the show being about unpolished DIY craftyness.

I haven't watched much else yet aside from Spy X Family, which yeah is more Spy X Family what is there to say? Good show, the dog is cute.

Did watch the first episode of the Urusei Yatsura remake and, well, yeah it looks good and it sure is being Urusei Yatsura. The fakeout of it being modern day but then switching back to the 80s setting was funny. But I dunno, I'm not really seeing a reason to watch it? If anything, I feel like I'd go watch the original. Either way, I doubt I will watch the rest, but not because it is bad.

Haven't watched a single second of Chainsaw Man yet but I'm sure I'll get to it eventually just to see what all the fuss is about.

#4735 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 27 October 2022 - 04:56 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 25 October 2022 - 11:51 AM, said:

Urusei Yatsura - very weird, looks great but uhhhhhhhhh the setting and premise feel kinda ass backwards now.

Where are you guys watching it?
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4736 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 28 October 2022 - 07:53 AM

View PostD, on 27 October 2022 - 03:36 PM, said:

Yeah this is a jam-packed season. Not necessarily good or bad jam, but there sure is a lot of it.

DIY is really impressing me. It's kind of just another moe cute girls do a thing slice of life show, sort of, but the characters are capturing me more than that kind of show usually does and the art style at first felt a bit weird but has really grown on me, it fits the show super super well. I like it. Where Akiba's Sailor Uniform earlier this year did "slice of life school girls and the animation is incredible for no particular reason" this feels like a more... uh, deliberate (not quite the right word) approach where they're not just doing a unique art style for the sake of it, it feels kind of paint-y, kind of deliberately undetailed at times, in a way that fits the show being about unpolished DIY craftyness.

I haven't watched much else yet aside from Spy X Family, which yeah is more Spy X Family what is there to say? Good show, the dog is cute.

Did watch the first episode of the Urusei Yatsura remake and, well, yeah it looks good and it sure is being Urusei Yatsura. The fakeout of it being modern day but then switching back to the 80s setting was funny. But I dunno, I'm not really seeing a reason to watch it? If anything, I feel like I'd go watch the original. Either way, I doubt I will watch the rest, but not because it is bad.

Haven't watched a single second of Chainsaw Man yet but I'm sure I'll get to it eventually just to see what all the fuss is about.

CSM is... really mid. Has some nice action, but the characters are flat, the humour is very miss, and the story feels really all over the place. I think it's one of those things hyped up far beyond its means by loud fans - not as egregious as Stormlight (because it isn't actively bad but just nowhere near what it was hyped up to be.

DIY is great, I am enjoying it quite a bit. SxF is like you say, more SxF, it delivers, Bond says borf, shenanigans.

View PostQuickTidal, on 27 October 2022 - 04:56 PM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 25 October 2022 - 11:51 AM, said:

Where are you guys watching it?

YAR HAR FIDDLEDEE DEE

#4737 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 28 October 2022 - 11:51 AM

Akiba Maid War is shaping up to be my favourite show this season.

It doesn't try to pretend that it isn't fucking stupid. It doesn't try and hold pretenses of being anything beyond what it is, and it's funny as fuck. It's honest with itself, takes a couple of sips of coffee laced with LSD and then smashes an omurice into your face. Delicious. The joke could wear thin so I am leery that it will maintain until the end, but so far it's really enjoyable.

#4738 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 24 November 2022 - 08:48 AM

Chains boy what the FUCK

#4739 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 29 December 2022 - 08:50 AM

OK so Chainsaw Lad ended reasonably well, but it was excessively mid for the longest time - it's nice that the last 2-3 episodes ramped everything up but my god that was a Stormbad level of slog to get to the good bit.

Bocchi was my favourite show of the season, followed closely by Akiba Maid War.

#4740 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 29 December 2022 - 12:40 PM

Oh yeah and honourable mention to DIY which was a comfy good time and had probably the most memorable OP of the season.

Share this topic:

• 241 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users