• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Anime

#4681 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• [MAXIMUM DISGRUNTLEMENT]
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 08 April 2021 - 07:53 AM

Oh I forgot about Oto which I am also watching - I picked that up purely because shamisen is fucking cool. Jouran is on my to-check list.

I gave Full Dive a whirl this morning. It's dumbass but enjoyable enough despite coming over as slightly trash.

The two shows I am most anticipating are Max Level Witch (Slime-Nen? IDK the shorthand but it's my favourite LN series) and 86 of which the first LN was really impressive. MLW is what I'd call an isekai Non Non Biyori with additional shenanigans (very chilled out and there's not really any high stakes going on) and 86 is all about war, racism, duty and other edgy stuff that makes you think of dour faces like the Oni in Slime had before Rimsy made them all happy.

Facebook - www.facebook[dotcom]/MaarkAbbottWriting / Twitter - @MAbbottWriting / I'm on Goodreads somewhere as well

XBL - Shoryukos / Steam - Angryμaark / PSN - AngryMaark

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#4682 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 08 April 2021 - 06:47 PM

I'm looking forward to those 2 as well. Both start this weekend, I think?

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#4683 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

Posted 09 April 2021 - 07:53 AM

Saturday for both.

Zombieland Saga Revenge seems to be on an interesting tack in that the band is washed up and lost their success. Can they make a comeback? Will Tae munch heads? FIND OUT

Facebook - www.facebook[dotcom]/MaarkAbbottWriting / Twitter - @MAbbottWriting / I'm on Goodreads somewhere as well

#4684 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 10 April 2021 - 02:27 PM

Slime Witch is off to a good start! So comfy

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#4685 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 12 April 2021 - 12:28 AM

Yet another spring show on my list now... Pretty Boys Detective Club. Exactly what it sounds like, but the characters have so much energy it's pretty charming.

And it looks amazing

Posted Image

#4686 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

Posted 12 April 2021 - 07:49 AM

View PostD, on 10 April 2021 - 02:27 PM, said:

Slime Witch is off to a good start! So comfy

This is pretty much the series' default. Any peril or conflict is incredibly mofumofu and resolved quickly purely so Azusa can enjoy the comfy once more as quickly as possible.

Ep 1 of 86 on the other hand was serious, gritty, bleak... Faithful to the source material. I enjoyed it rather a lot.

Oto ep2 was... well, let's just say I enjoyed shamisen before on occasion but it's pretty menkle to see it as a focal point. Sounds so damn good.

Shadows House was kind of weird. Not sure if it's an enjoyable weird yet - but worth pushing to ep 2 for sure.

#4687 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

Posted 13 April 2021 - 07:44 AM

To Your Eternity - now this was weird and cool in a very interesting way. The first episode didn't go anywhere near as I'd expected it to. Could be one to watch out for, especially as it's posited at 20 episodes. I'll not say more because it's one to watch and find out.

Jouran ep 1 - was weird and not really in a good way. Felt very disjointed and whilst the aesthetic was cool overall, the MC going rage mode seemed to take the art back to the days of Claymore which felt quite jarring (and it feels like this will happen a lot). I'll see if the next episodes pick up a bit, I think.

#4688 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

Posted 14 April 2021 - 07:44 AM

Not sure if you'll watch D, but Slime Diaries is airing. Spinoff of That Time - and it's basically the comfy life of the monster nation as they farm, craft stuff and generally moeblob about with zero threat or war or dying. It's aight.

#4689 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 14 April 2021 - 02:00 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 14 April 2021 - 07:44 AM, said:

Not sure if you'll watch D, but Slime Diaries is airing. Spinoff of That Time - and it's basically the comfy life of the monster nation as they farm, craft stuff and generally moeblob about with zero threat or war or dying. It's aight.

If there wasn't so much else to watch this season I probably would, but since it is I won't. Or maybe I'll binge it all in one weekend at the end of the season if the mood takes me.

Oto Masahiro ep 2 - daaaaaamn that vocal duet was intense and gorgeous. Crazy mom being a powerful singer is a cool dynamic, I wasn't expecting it at all.

#4690 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• General Kenobi
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Sith Beatdowns

Posted 14 April 2021 - 03:32 PM

Reading this thread makes me wish I had more time to watch anime....as it stands I barely get enough time to keep up with NARUTO SHIPPUDEN, and DEMON SLAYER...but there's a bunch of stuff I want to watch and simply don't have the time.

I'll just live vicariously through you lot.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

#4691 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 14 April 2021 - 07:21 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 14 April 2021 - 03:32 PM, said:

Reading this thread makes me wish I had more time to watch anime....as it stands I barely get enough time to keep up with NARUTO SHIPPUDEN, and DEMON SLAYER...but there's a bunch of stuff I want to watch and simply don't have the time.

I'll just live vicariously through you lot.

The secret is to never ever sleep

#4692 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 15 April 2021 - 01:24 AM

But in all seriousness...

a} I thought you gave up on Naruto?

View PostQuickTidal, on 02 March 2020 - 02:35 PM, said:

Tried to watch NARUTO.

Not for me.

It's one thing to power through a 12-episode anime that isn't doing it for you... but hundreds of episodes? Why force yourself, when there are a bajillion other shows out there to try?

and

b} If you've started on Demon Slayer, do yourself a favour and find a way to finish it. Overall it's a very good show, but more importantly it has a few absolutely phenomenal moments that make it a must watch.

As evidence, I present us gushing over a certain few scenes in this very thread back when it was airing (with any specifics removed so it doesn't give away when any such scene might be about to happen):

View PostD, on 11 August 2019 - 05:35 PM, said:

I've been kinda sleeping on this show and not talking about it that much, even though its been pretty fun the whole way so far, [...] Today, though, was an absolutely jaw-dropping, tear-shedding, eyeball-gasming experience, and I can't shut up about it anymore. [...] I can't remember a single episode this good from at least the last few years.

View PostMaark Abbott, on 12 August 2019 - 07:48 AM, said:

That battle with [redacted] was excellent to begin with, but when [redacted] Fuck me, I immediately went and got a beer after that. One of the best sequences in anime that I've seen in YEARS.

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 14 August 2019 - 12:29 AM, said:

I find myself in a similar boat to yourselves.

The latest episode was amazing simply put.

#4693 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• General Kenobi

Posted 15 April 2021 - 02:28 AM

View PostD, on 15 April 2021 - 01:24 AM, said:

But in all seriousness...

a} I thought you gave up on Naruto?

View PostQuickTidal, on 02 March 2020 - 02:35 PM, said:

Tried to watch NARUTO.

Not for me.

It's one thing to power through a 12-episode anime that isn't doing it for you... but hundreds of episodes? Why force yourself, when there are a bajillion other shows out there to try?

and

b} If you've started on Demon Slayer, do yourself a favour and find a way to finish it. Overall it's a very good show, but more importantly it has a few absolutely phenomenal moments that make it a must watch.

As evidence, I present us gushing over a certain few scenes in this very thread back when it was airing (with any specifics removed so it doesn't give away when any such scene might be about to happen):

Oh yes, I went back to NARUTO after that post and got right into it, and finished the original series, so now Iím about 20 eps into SHIPPUDEN. I ended up liking it more than ONE PIECE. 😁

I will definitely be finishing DEMON SLAYER, good to know thereís some great moments coming up.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

#4694 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 15 April 2021 - 03:04 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 15 April 2021 - 02:28 AM, said:

I ended up liking it more than ONE PIECE. 😁

Who are you and what have you done with QT???!!!

#4695 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

Posted 15 April 2021 - 11:36 AM

Joran ep2: made a lot more sense than ep1, much less disjointed and all oert oyle.

#4696 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• General Kenobi

Posted 15 April 2021 - 11:48 AM

View PostD, on 15 April 2021 - 03:04 AM, said:

I ended up liking it more than ONE PIECE. 😁

I Know, right?

They are both good, but I got more rewarding stuff from NARUTO overall. I enjoy both.

After DEMON SLAYER, what should I check out?

#4697 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 15 April 2021 - 01:18 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 15 April 2021 - 11:48 AM, said:

I ended up liking it more than ONE PIECE. ��

I Know, right?

They are both good, but I got more rewarding stuff from NARUTO overall. I enjoy both.

Star Twinkle Precure, of course!

(I am going to keep making this joke until someone gets so sick of it they watch the whole show out of spite.)

Do you want another shounen action show after Demon Slayer, or something else entirely? Or...?

#4698 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• General Kenobi

Posted 15 April 2021 - 03:39 PM

View PostD, on 15 April 2021 - 01:18 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 15 April 2021 - 11:48 AM, said:

I ended up liking it more than ONE PIECE. ��

I Know, right?

Star Twinkle Precure, of course!

(I am going to keep making this joke until someone gets so sick of it they watch the whole show out of spite.)

Do you want another shounen action show after Demon Slayer, or something else entirely? Or...?

I'd love to get in on something that's really rewarding that's more recent. I don't really mind if it's shounen or not. Just something with a great story, be it action, slice of life, or whatever.

#4699 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 15 April 2021 - 07:04 PM

Hmm, rewarding and a great story but no preference for style or genre. That's tricky 'cause there's like a million things to choose from and I don't want to overload you with a huge list of too many choices either... but here goes. I'm going to try and pick one for each of a bunch of different genres. I'll throw a picture for each one, too, 'cause sometimes the visual style is the real hook.

Comedy - Kakushigoto - A manga artist who got famous drawing toilet humour series is now a single parent and believes he must hide his real job from his daughter.

Action/Adventure - Rage of Bahamut: Genesis - A swashbuckling bounty hunter tries to hook up with a naive girl but she turns out to be a demon and grows a tail on him, refusing to remove the tail until he takes her to Helheim (which he boastfully lied about knowing a shortcut to). The two journey together to Helheim, pursued by angels, demons, and a disgraced knight.

Drama - A Place Further than the Universe - Four girls from different walks of life join together to force their way onto an Antarctic research expedition.

Sports - Haikyuu - A kid and his rival both end up going to a high school with a once-famous volleyball team that has now fallen on hard times.

Romance - Sing Yesterday for Me - After graduating from college, a man struggling with future goals reconnects with an old crush while being pestered by a new friend.

Psychological Thriller - Death Parade - A heavenly bartender and his assistant pit the recently dead against each other in extreme versions of bar games to decide whether they will be reincarnated or damned.

Action/Thriller - Akudama Drive - In a dystopian cyberpunk future setting, a mysterious benefactor blackmails a group of cutthroat mercenaries, and also one ordinary girl who was in the wrong place at the wrong time, into staging a dangerous train heist.

Something Weird (but Good) - Granbelm - What's more anime, mecha or magical girls? How about both! Mage girls pilot giant magic robots in a battle royale to take control over the source of all magic, with some shocking revelations along the way.

Aside from Haikyuu, all of those are short (11~13 episodes), self-contained stories with real endings that have a climactic payoff. Couldn't think of a good one-season sports show with a big payoff, but in Haikyuu's case each season ends with a big climactic match so it still delivers plenty of payoff.

Alternatively, if you want to jump on something really, really recent, Maark and I are both watching a currently-airing show called Mashiro no Oto about a shamisen player who loses his motivation and sound after his grandfather dies, and is now on a journey to discover his own unique sound and fall in love with the instrument again. Only 2 episodes have aired so far so we can't promise it'll have a huge payoff, but the musical performances in it so far have been mesmerizing so it is already worth it and probably is going to end well, too.

#4700 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• General Kenobi

Posted 15 April 2021 - 07:58 PM

View PostD, on 15 April 2021 - 07:04 PM, said:

Hmm, rewarding and a great story but no preference for style or genre. That's tricky 'cause there's like a million things to choose from and I don't want to overload you with a huge list of too many choices either... but here goes. I'm going to try and pick one for each of a bunch of different genres. I'll throw a picture for each one, too, 'cause sometimes the visual style is the real hook.

Comedy - Kakushigoto - A manga artist who got famous drawing toilet humour series is now a single parent and believes he must hide his real job from his daughter.

Action/Adventure - Rage of Bahamut: Genesis - A swashbuckling bounty hunter tries to hook up with a naive girl but she turns out to be a demon and grows a tail on him, refusing to remove the tail until he takes her to Helheim (which he boastfully lied about knowing a shortcut to). The two journey together to Helheim, pursued by angels, demons, and a disgraced knight.

Drama - A Place Further than the Universe - Four girls from different walks of life join together to force their way onto an Antarctic research expedition.

Sports - Haikyuu - A kid and his rival both end up going to a high school with a once-famous volleyball team that has now fallen on hard times.

Romance - Sing Yesterday for Me - After graduating from college, a man struggling with future goals reconnects with an old crush while being pestered by a new friend.

Psychological Thriller - Death Parade - A heavenly bartender and his assistant pit the recently dead against each other in extreme versions of bar games to decide whether they will be reincarnated or damned.

Action/Thriller - Akudama Drive - In a dystopian cyberpunk future setting, a mysterious benefactor blackmails a group of cutthroat mercenaries, and also one ordinary girl who was in the wrong place at the wrong time, into staging a dangerous train heist.

Something Weird (but Good) - Granbelm - What's more anime, mecha or magical girls? How about both! Mage girls pilot giant magic robots in a battle royale to take control over the source of all magic, with some shocking revelations along the way.

Aside from Haikyuu, all of those are short (11~13 episodes), self-contained stories with real endings that have a climactic payoff. Couldn't think of a good one-season sports show with a big payoff, but in Haikyuu's case each season ends with a big climactic match so it still delivers plenty of payoff.

Alternatively, if you want to jump on something really, really recent, Maark and I are both watching a currently-airing show called Mashiro no Oto about a shamisen player who loses his motivation and sound after his grandfather dies, and is now on a journey to discover his own unique sound and fall in love with the instrument again. Only 2 episodes have aired so far so we can't promise it'll have a huge payoff, but the musical performances in it so far have been mesmerizing so it is already worth it and probably is going to end well, too.

Amazing list. Thank you so much! This will help me.

Share this topic:

• 236 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users