Anime

#4661 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 19 April 2022 - 11:40 PM

View PostD, on 17 April 2022 - 03:47 AM, said:

Didn't know you'd want to know.

It's been pretty fun so far, though not mindblowing. I don't get why everyone is so in love with the OP song, it seems just alright to me, not particularly catchy? Well, not the first time I've been told I have weird taste in music.

Spy X Family still my top runner for the season so far. I'm still shocked it's actually living up to the hype.

Im always down for three kingdoms stuff. I even watched that 90+episode series on youtube from the late 2000s.

Its wholesome and fun which is what I'm liking. As for the OP, call it a blessing as it's been stuck in my mind.

Idk how much you've studied music but simple and repetitive melodies make for earworms and this song fits the bill though it's not bad. (Also apparently its a cover of a kinda meh hungarian song).

#4662 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 20 April 2022 - 07:43 AM

View PostD, on 19 April 2022 - 01:14 PM, said:

Kaguya has basically hit the point where it only cares about the audience who are super duper in love with its characters and I'm not so I think I gotta drop it now.

What's wrong with TBH's voice?

It's the tonality for me. Hard to explain in absolutes, but the pitch, tone and delivery are just... kind of irksome? It might be intentional. It might just be that the VA's delivery doesn't sit right with me.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#4663 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 20 April 2022 - 12:32 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 20 April 2022 - 07:43 AM, said:

Kaguya has basically hit the point where it only cares about the audience who are super duper in love with its characters and I'm not so I think I gotta drop it now.

It's the tonality for me. Hard to explain in absolutes, but the pitch, tone and delivery are just... kind of irksome? It might be intentional. It might just be that the VA's delivery doesn't sit right with me.

Hmm, she is playing up the countryside "hick talk" and some non-Tokyo dialect (I dunno which) aspect, is that part of it?

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#4664 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 22 April 2022 - 07:52 AM

View PostD, on 20 April 2022 - 12:32 PM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 20 April 2022 - 07:43 AM, said:

Hmm, she is playing up the countryside "hick talk" and some non-Tokyo dialect (I dunno which) aspect, is that part of it?

No, it's not the dialect / speech - I don't understand Japanese so I can't assess dialects - it's more the pitch and the delivery. It's very, uh, airy. Hard to describe. The show is enjoyable enough and it's a minor niggle so I'm sticking with it anyway.

#4665 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 25 April 2022 - 07:46 AM

I just counted and I'm at 26 new shows this season (which includes sequels, but doesn't include shows that are running across multiple cours from last season / before). Yeesh.

#4666 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 27 April 2022 - 07:48 PM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 25 April 2022 - 07:46 AM, said:

I just counted and I'm at 26 new shows this season (which includes sequels, but doesn't include shows that are running across multiple cours from last season / before). Yeesh.

You're going to go insane.

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#4667 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 27 April 2022 - 10:44 PM

Good sir... you're holding out on me. I know the only way that's possible is with time manipulation.

#4668 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 28 April 2022 - 11:55 AM

View PostD, on 27 April 2022 - 07:48 PM, said:

You're going to go insane.

As per the words of Duke Nukem, I only wait for the right moment to bring up Taiwan, and so have already gone quite insane, I assure you.

Also it's 27 now, thanks Kongming.

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 27 April 2022 - 10:44 PM, said:

Good sir... you're holding out on me. I know the only way that's possible is with time manipulation.

You know what the really stupid thing is? I have my day job, writing, my band, streaming and now a podcast on top, and somehow I still manage to find time for this many shows.

#4669 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 02 May 2022 - 11:35 PM

Spy X Family is a lot sillier than I thought it was going to be. The characters are all kind of intentionally oblivious to a lot for the sake of more silly comedy. It works and I'm enjoying the comedy, I'm just surprised.

Somehow, I found the time to start Healer Girl and am 3 episodes in so far. It's phenomenal, easily the best show of the season so far - not because there aren't a bunch of other great shows airing, but just because it's so good. It's an iyashikei show, so maybe not for everyone, but it's damn good at doing what it's trying to do.

#4670 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 03 May 2022 - 07:42 AM

For me, Healer Girl is an enjoyable time filler, but middling unless they're actually singing (I have it at 6/10 so far). In terms of overall rating, my top show so far is Kongming.

And yeah SxF is a shenanigans machine. It's dumb fun but it works.

#4671 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 03 May 2022 - 06:53 PM

BUBBLE is a decent, albeit too straightforward riff on The Little Mermaid....but it's gorgeous, and sonically great and the characters have just enough in them to be compelling for the run time.

Tis gud, but would not touch other anime movies I've seen.

A fun popcorn movie if you don't think about it too much.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#4672 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 05 May 2022 - 04:01 AM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 03 May 2022 - 07:42 AM, said:

For me, Healer Girl is an enjoyable time filler, but middling unless they're actually singing (I have it at 6/10 so far). In terms of overall rating, my top show so far is Kongming.

No no you couldn't be more wrong with this take. Kongming is fine, it's fun, but c'mon there's hardly any actual substance to it. Eiko is just a likeable energetic girl working towards her dream and Kongming is just a fun meme. There's not really any actual challenge or catharsis to it. Aside from episode 1, they haven't even been all that clever with the "Kongming does a Zhuge Liang strategy from the stories in the modern world" thing.

Meanwhile Healer Girl's 3rd episode is, like, the most well-crafted episode of TV anime in at least several years.

View PostQuickTidal, on 03 May 2022 - 06:53 PM, said:

BUBBLE is a decent, albeit too straightforward riff on The Little Mermaid....but it's gorgeous, and sonically great and the characters have just enough in them to be compelling for the run time.

Honestly that's about what we expected, I think? If it had a better story they would've put more of the story in the trailers ^_^ Should be a fun watch sometime just for the visuals though.

#4673 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 05 May 2022 - 07:52 AM

View PostD, on 05 May 2022 - 04:01 AM, said:

View PostMaark Abbott, on 03 May 2022 - 07:42 AM, said:

No no you couldn't be more wrong with this take. Kongming is fine, it's fun, but c'mon there's hardly any actual substance to it. Eiko is just a likeable energetic girl working towards her dream and Kongming is just a fun meme. There's not really any actual challenge or catharsis to it. Aside from episode 1, they haven't even been all that clever with the "Kongming does a Zhuge Liang strategy from the stories in the modern world" thing.

Meanwhile Healer Girl's 3rd episode is, like, the most well-crafted episode of TV anime in at least several years.

View PostQuickTidal, on 03 May 2022 - 06:53 PM, said:

Honestly that's about what we expected, I think? If it had a better story they would've put more of the story in the trailers ^_^ Should be a fun watch sometime just for the visuals though.

I still don't agree. Healer Girl is an enjoyable time filler and not more than that. I'm not at all getting anything particularly special from it - it's good, yes, but for me, not close to earth shattering. Ep3 was fine, but not more than fine.

Meanwhile Kongmong ep1 had me halfway to ugly crying because it encapsulated the hopelessness that being a creative no one cares about well, and then also captured what it feels like when someone gives their support to you heart and soul.

#4674 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 06 May 2022 - 01:53 AM

latest ep of kongming was AMAZING.

I dont even speak japanese and I could appreaciate it.

Also found this one for the music nerds here.

This post has been edited by LinearPhilosopher: 06 May 2022 - 02:03 AM

#4675 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 06 May 2022 - 08:03 AM

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 06 May 2022 - 01:53 AM, said:

latest ep of kongming was AMAZING.

I dont even speak japanese and I could appreaciate it.

Also found this one for the music nerds here.

https://www.youtube....channel=ANIMYZE

The rekindling of his drive and fire was ludicrously well done - I can't overstate how well the author and then director have captured creator dread to an incredibly accurate degree. Hell, I can't fucking stand rap or hippity hoppity and I thought this episode was great.

#4676 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 11 May 2022 - 12:49 AM

So i was told to try spy X family.

Was told I would like it.

Said friend did not lie. This show is great, all the characters are so adorably dorky its amazing.

#4677 User is offline   D'rek 

Posted 11 May 2022 - 02:17 AM

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 11 May 2022 - 12:49 AM, said:

So i was told to try spy X family.

Was told I would like it.

Said friend did not lie. This show is great, all the characters are so adorably dorky its amazing.

Yup yup! I thought it was going to be a lot more serious and dramatic at first, but the silly comedy style it actually ended up being is a ton of fun.

#4678 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl

Posted 11 May 2022 - 07:53 AM

SxF is extremely silly, but a fun time. It doesn't take itself too seriously, and that's obviously a good thing.

Also drunk Yor? I kneel.

#4679 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight

Posted 12 May 2022 - 01:42 AM

and apparently there is a manga! So i may have to get on that once the anime's done.

#4680 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 06 June 2022 - 05:57 PM

I''m keeping my feelings in check on this one, but let's hope they don't screw it up! The sets look great though.

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

Share this topic:

• 241 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users