• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

" Thorns " series by Mark Lawrence SPOILERS discussion of all books SPOILERS

#661 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 19 January 2016 - 11:17 PM

Macros, on 19 January 2016 - 09:57 PM, said:

so Bob Dylan = Cylon?

I'm thinking yep.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#662 User is offline   theocean 

• High Fist
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 January 2016 - 03:19 PM

since he was part of the conversation yesterday

https://www.yahoo.co...-230840541.html

#663 User is offline   Mark Lawrence 

• Fist

Posted 24 January 2016 - 07:56 PM

It occurs to me that I may have neglected to spam you guys with the fact I've got an anthology of Jorg/Road Brother stories out!

https://www.goodread...4-road-brothers

Posted Image

#664 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 24 January 2016 - 08:31 PM

Since this is the first I've heard of it, good call!
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#665 User is offline   Itwæs Nom 

• Inquisitor of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 24 January 2016 - 09:22 PM

I'd like to point out that Jorg's sword here looks quite better than the one on PoT cover. I miss the two spikes on the blade tho. Generally the covers looks nice, it would be perfect on paperback I'm sure!

On the other hand, wasn't it meant to be bastartd sword? I think of it like that, thought it was mentioned somewhere. Maybe it wasn't mentioned anywhere so I went for a bit of both. Maybe It's just because he's such a bastard.
All things fall from kings to rose petals

#666 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 26 January 2016 - 12:33 AM

good shout.

always wanted to read more about the brothers. the snippets you gave us at chapter openings were great, only you proceeded to muller almost all of them in the course of the first book.
meh. Link was dead :(

#667 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 01 March 2016 - 11:38 AM

15 chapters into Prince of Thorns

An absolutely excellent read so far.

I was a bit miffed at the autobiographical narrative, but its an excellent way to give the reader an insight into Jorg's fascinating mind. The character he reminds me of is Arya from ASOIAF and I am wondering if this is the path she is heading down eventually.

The worldbuilding is clever. I think its postapocalyptic on our world, I have not placed Crath yet, Ling is China, I think.

#668 User is offline   Mark Lawrence 

• Fist

Posted 03 March 2016 - 06:24 PM

Andorion, on 01 March 2016 - 11:38 AM, said:

I was a bit miffed at the autobiographical narrative, but its an excellent way to give the reader an insight into Jorg's fascinating mind. The character he reminds me of is Arya from ASOIAF and I am wondering if this is the path she is heading down eventually.

The worldbuilding is clever. I think its postapocalyptic on our world, I have not placed Crath yet, Ling is China, I think.

A map spoiler.

#669 User is offline   Itwæs Nom 

Posted 03 March 2016 - 06:34 PM

Ace Books paperback of Liar's Key is going to be published in may this year, roughly year after 1st release of the book. Will it take that long for WoO Ace paperback aswell?

I'm buying whole trilogy once it's all out.

#670 User is offline   Mark Lawrence 

• Fist

Posted 03 March 2016 - 06:56 PM

Itwas Nom, on 03 March 2016 - 06:34 PM, said:

Ace Books paperback of Liar's Key is going to be published in may this year, roughly year after 1st release of the book. Will it take that long for WoO Ace paperback aswell?

Yes, it'll take another year.

This may be of interest:
http://mark---lawren...t-if-youre.html

#671 User is offline   Itwæs Nom 

Posted 03 March 2016 - 07:16 PM

Mark Lawrence, on 03 March 2016 - 06:56 PM, said:

Itwas Nom, on 03 March 2016 - 06:34 PM, said:

Yes, it'll take another year.

This may be of interest:
http://mark---lawren...t-if-youre.html

I see I'm GREAT, thanks.

Actually I was going to choose PoT/Broken Empire as my topic of speech exercise in school, atleast.

This post has been edited by Itwas Nom: 03 March 2016 - 07:16 PM

#672 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 03 March 2016 - 08:31 PM

I've just finished Liars Key. And I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Bit of a slowish start with the travelling, more boats and Jal wishing he was at home quite a bit; but picked up nicely - and unpredictably, in a good way.

Jal continues to remind me of Flashman - there are many similarities but I don't mind as I love those books. (Out of interest, is there any inspiration from there at all, Mark?)

Anyway, having finished Liars Key, I've picked up Prince of Thorns for a reread. Great stuff, thanks Mark.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 03 March 2016 - 08:35 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#673 User is offline   Mark Lawrence 

• Fist

Posted 03 March 2016 - 10:28 PM

Traveller, on 03 March 2016 - 08:31 PM, said:

Jal continues to remind me of Flashman - there are many similarities but I don't mind as I love those books. (Out of interest, is there any inspiration from there at all, Mark?)

Anyway, having finished Liars Key, I've picked up Prince of Thorns for a reread. Great stuff, thanks Mark.

Indeed:

https://www.goodread.../show/734734700

& Flashman, of course, was inspired by a much earlier book!

#674 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 04 March 2016 - 01:02 AM

Finished Prince of Thorns. What a brilliant book! I love how Jorg's character was constructed and then deconstructed.

Did he set fire to a nuclear fuel dump?

So the books are set approximately 1000 years after a nuclear cataclysm. What struck me though is that this would be Westeros of the others never came and the different factions never stopped fighting.

Also started King of Thorns. 14 chapters in. Its really good, but I am not sure about the density of the flashbacks. There seem to be a lot of them.

#675 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 04 March 2016 - 01:03 AM

Mark Lawrence, on 03 March 2016 - 06:24 PM, said:

Andorion, on 01 March 2016 - 11:38 AM, said:

A map spoiler.

https://www.youtube....h?v=GJrCceCilFY

Thanks for this. The Teuton and Normardy names helped me to place it in Europe

#676 User is offline   Mark Lawrence 

• Fist

Posted 05 March 2016 - 12:56 PM

People are always saying to me "nobody told me" when it comes to special editions, so hopefully this doesn't breach any pimping laws.

The Wheel of Osheim special edition listed for pre-order last night. It's about half gone:

http://mark---lawren...edition-is.html

The Broken Empire special edition omnibus is also up for pre-order. Some examples of the interior art here:

http://mark---lawren...al-edition.html

#677 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 05 March 2016 - 02:32 PM

Wow, the BE omnibus art is beautiful! Are these final versions, or will they be colored?

This post has been edited by Whisperzzzzzzz: 05 March 2016 - 02:33 PM

#678 User is offline   Mark Lawrence 

• Fist

Posted 05 March 2016 - 03:15 PM

Whisperzzzzzzz, on 05 March 2016 - 02:32 PM, said:

Wow, the BE omnibus art is beautiful! Are these final versions, or will they be colored?

Final versions. And yes, Jason Chan's pretty incredible!

#679 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 06 March 2016 - 11:33 AM

So I finished both Prince and King of Thorns. I loved Prince of Thorns. An excellent character study, the post-apocalyptic setting is interesting and adds a great extra-dimension to the book.

5 stars.

I really liked King of Thorns. Its a good follow up, but the numerous flashbacks and the whole flashback based structure did not work for me. I guessed part of his strategy from the moment he talked of thousands of soldiers being crowded in valleys. I was thinking in terms of a large area-effect attack, so it was fire, flood, landslide, avalanche. He didn't really have the tech for fire, and there was no river. But I still really liked the book. One thing I did not like was the way his character was going. The thing I liked most about Prince was Jorg's sociopathic character which made him unpredictable. Here though he is clearly getting softer, and I think that started removing what I really loved about the whole concept. Sure, the memories in a box idea was a good concept, but the edge of the narrative seemed to be getting a bit blunted. And lastly, a thousand year old Colt 45 should not have fired. That's silly.

4 stars.

Now I am reading Emperor of Thorns and I really want to stop. Its the same flashback structure. And that makes it predictable. I really really wish this was a more linear narrative.
Also I thought the first person PoV in Prince was a great way to profile the mind of a very remarkable character. Thing is, now its getting boring. The other characters haven;t really received any attention, and I really want multiple PoVs.

#680 User is offline   Mark Lawrence 

• Fist

Posted 18 May 2016 - 01:33 PM

For the interested ... all the reviews of The Wheel of Osheim so far:

http://mark---lawren...ews-i-know.html

Share this topic:

• 41 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic