• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The game I'm playing is...

#3901 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• [MAXIMUM DISGRUNTLEMENT]
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Bringing literacy to the folk of Yorkshire

Posted 22 September 2019 - 12:22 PM

My Space Turtles struck back. One dimensional anchor is down. Now I'm building my fleets up to strike at the other one; seems like Torpedo Corvettes do a lot of damage to them but die very fast. Cruisers and Battleships are the way.
Facebook - www.facebook[dotcom]/MaarkAbbottWriting / Twitter - @MAbbottWriting / I'm on Goodreads somewhere as well

XBL - Shoryukos / Steam - Angryμaark / PSN - AngryMaark

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#3902 User is offline   BfuckinK 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 22 September 2019 - 08:58 PM

I do oh so hate when Saints have a 3pm game! It fucks my 4pm game time up.
Drive by bye bye king on my dumb horse

#3903 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

Posted 23 September 2019 - 07:19 AM

Disaster. The Ruphaari (fallen empire to my west) awakened and I am the nearest galactic power to them, so they declared war on me and rocked up in my outer systems with a 250k fleet. Apparently the galaxy has lived in fear of peaceful space turtles for long enough.

Kind of irritating that they aren't taking on the Unbidden given the whole galactic threat thing...

Facebook - www.facebook[dotcom]/MaarkAbbottWriting / Twitter - @MAbbottWriting / I'm on Goodreads somewhere as well

#3904 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How you doin?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 23 September 2019 - 07:32 AM

Is this still Stellaris you're talking about?

How friendly is that game to people who aren't big strategy or 4X players?

#3905 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

Posted 23 September 2019 - 07:35 AM

View PostAptorian, on 23 September 2019 - 07:32 AM, said:

Is this still Stellaris you're talking about?

How friendly is that game to people who aren't big strategy or 4X players?

Yeah, Stellaris. It has a two-level tutorial (levels as in how much handholding there is) - level 1 is hints and tips here and there, level 2 is full blown explanations for stuff.

It didn't take too much learning, but it is heavily RNG reliant. You can spawn with your home system next to a 17k pirate fleet if you're unlucky, and if you do you'll have to deal with pirate raids from the off.

#3906 User is offline   BfuckinK 

• Master of the Deck
  • Drive by bye bye king

Posted 23 September 2019 - 08:31 AM

I suck 5 day unwashed ballsack at RTS games but this one has always tempted me and even more so now that it is on console.

This post has been edited by BfuckinK: 23 September 2019 - 08:31 AM

Drive by bye bye king on my dumb horse

#3907 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 23 September 2019 - 09:37 AM

I love Stellaris, though it's been a little while since last I dove into it.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#3908 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

Posted 23 September 2019 - 12:41 PM

View PostBfuckinK, on 23 September 2019 - 08:31 AM, said:

I suck 5 day unwashed ballsack at RTS games but this one has always tempted me and even more so now that it is on console.

It's not RTS in quite the traditional sense. Combat is mostly RPS.

View PostMorgoth, on 23 September 2019 - 09:37 AM, said:

How do I survive a belligerent awakened fanatic spiritualist crusade against me? Pls halp or me die

#3909 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How you doin?

Posted 23 September 2019 - 06:54 PM

About half way through the story campaign if Borderlands 3. The actual gunplay is great but I'm starting to have my doubts about the rest of this game.

The story is paper thin and what's there is bad even by borderlands standards. And there's so many little quality of life issues that I don't understand how made it through QA. Lack of vendors and quick travel stations, stupid inventory management, go here go there mission design, etc.

#3910 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 24 September 2019 - 06:45 AM

View PostMaark Abbott, on 23 September 2019 - 12:41 PM, said:

View PostBfuckinK, on 23 September 2019 - 08:31 AM, said:

It's not RTS in quite the traditional sense. Combat is mostly RPS.

View PostMorgoth, on 23 September 2019 - 09:37 AM, said:

How do I survive a belligerent awakened fanatic spiritualist crusade against me? Pls halp or me die

The few times I've survived something like that it's always been through attrition and outmaneuvering. Your fleets repair and replenish, theirs do not. So hits and retreats, followed by another smaller fleet attacking their systems to draw the main fleet away. When they leave the system, scan the battle remains to get that sweet sweet tech. Rinse and repeat until you get your ships up to par with theirs, and their fleet down to a manageable level. Deep layers of fortifications in your systems too.

All that comes to naught though if you don't have the size and industry required to keep up that kind of pressure.

If you do survive though you'll be practically invincible.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#3911 User is offline   Serenity 

• Going somewhere?

Posted 24 September 2019 - 07:05 AM

Up to Chapter 12 of Valkyria Chronicles 4. I think there are 18 chapters in all. Also finished Chapter 4 of Trails in the Sky SC.

And then played a couple of hours of Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch on Switch last night, because I really needed to start another long-ass JRPG Posted Image :lol:

#3912 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

Posted 24 September 2019 - 07:07 AM

Wellp thanks Morgoth. Seems me die then

#3913 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How you doin?

Posted 24 September 2019 - 03:07 PM

Just finished Untitled Goose Game. Best game of the year so far. Damn near perfect gaming experience if you let yourself have fun with the concept.

#3914 User is offline   Serenity 

• Going somewhere?

Posted 13 October 2019 - 09:06 PM

I've been playing Pathfinder: Kingmaker this weekend. Still in the early stages but I'm enjoying it more than the Pillars of Eternity games and - dare I say it - Divinity: Original Sin 2 - so far, anyway.

#3915 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 14 October 2019 - 07:08 AM

Aptorian, on 24 September 2019 - 03:07 PM, said:

Just finished Untitled Goose Game. Best game of the year so far. Damn near perfect gaming experience if you let yourself have fun with the concept.

Great fun when you see an opportunity, try it, and it turns out it was on the extras list. I liked the little touches, like crashing through the house; appearing on tv and walking right up to the camera so theres a big goose face in the window.. so funny.

Currently playing Rebel Galaxy. Zipping between planets and stations type fare; space/western music pushes it very much in the Firefly direction. Except instead of having a single fighter type, you get more of a battleship; the combat is more like Black Flag than anything else, with turrets and broadsides.

It's on a 2d plane which takes some getting used to after NMSky - weird at first but the battles are fun when you get the scale of it - my turrets are shooting down fighters in seconds, while it takes longer and some tactical shifts of energy reserves between shields and weapons to bring down other capital ships.

The music is a sort of blend of tracks from Firefly and Sons of Anarchy. Early game so just doing safer missions at the moment, lots of nice upgrades to buy though.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 14 October 2019 - 07:20 AM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#3916 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 15 October 2019 - 11:09 AM

Couple more hours into Rebel Galaxy.

Getting drawn in now, very like Cowboy Bebop universe, with orbital stations, circular gates for jumping systems, and general traffic between outposts.

You can hail other ships like the Militaria ones or traders, just exchanging news or time of day, it makes it seem busy.

Combat has improved now I've upgraded a few weapons and added a deflector shield; and while I've been blown up a couple of times, I've had a few decent wins against pirates and the odd large frigate.

Circling around on a 2d plane, deflecting, using broadsides, taking out fighters with turrets, while avoiding space debris is all pretty fun. And there can be quite a lot of debris - I thought it would just explode on contact like in NMS but no... you thump into stuff, deflect off it, and take damage. I even got stuck headfirst in a piece of destroyed starship during a battle - the good thing was I figured out how to reverse, which has cool animations on the ships retros.

There is a main story which is ok, not essential though as the most I'll be getting out of it is the continual upgrading and ship improving - I'm still on the first one, the space version of a sloop I guess, fast but light.

Looking forward to some battles with the bigger ones down the line.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#3917 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

Posted 15 October 2019 - 11:47 AM

Finished BL3 main story.

The game is fun in all the usual BL ways, but my god there are some really irritating bugs in at least the multiplayer.

- Load in cutscenes / dialogue - whoever is hosting gets almost all of these, whoever is not hosting will take a good ten seconds past the host to load in and so will invariably miss stuff.
- non-hosts having to restart their game to get access to certain things. When we first cleared it outright refused to let me into Guardian Rank, we had to drop out and reboot for it to work.

I think that with a few QOL patches it would be a lot better.

Also whose fucking decision was it to make the last two bosses into Touhou Project

#3918 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How you doin?

Posted 15 October 2019 - 01:24 PM

I've put Borderlands 3 into the freezer until after the fall is over.

Playing Destiny 2 after Borderlands 3 felt like experiencing a whole different level of design quality.

#3919 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

Posted 16 October 2019 - 07:29 AM

View PostAptorian, on 15 October 2019 - 01:24 PM, said:

I've put Borderlands 3 into the freezer until after the fall is over.

Playing Destiny 2 after Borderlands 3 felt like experiencing a whole different level of design quality.

The fall of capitalism? ARRIBA

#3920 User is offline   Serenity 

• Going somewhere?

Posted 16 October 2019 - 07:52 AM

I'm about 15 hours into Pathfinder: Kingmaker now. Still in the first chapter, so I've barely scratched the surface, and haven't had to deal with any of the kingdom management aspects as yet, but in terms of the rpg and combat elements I'm really enjoying it. I've got a couple of mods running - one that allows you to turn the camera, and one for turn-based combat. Both are great but the latter is particularly good as you can switch between it and the standard real-time-with-pause combat on the fly and - so far - it works brilliantly Posted Image

All this in the week that Baldur's Gate I & II, Icewind Dale and Planescape Torment are released on Switch, too :lol:

Share this topic:

• 198 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users