Malazan Empire: The last book in the WoT - Malazan Empire

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The last book in the WoT

#21 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 26 July 2011 - 02:00 PM

View PostWerthead, on 26 July 2011 - 12:17 PM, said:

I got an update from Brandon that his plan is to hand in the book in November 2011. Tor and Harriet want a longer editing period, but how long that takes is up to them.

By my count they could do a six-month turnaround rather than the 2-3 that ToM got and still get the book out in June 2012 (even May, if they stepped on it). That would be awesome. Though Tor may prefer November so they nail the maximum number of possible pre-release Christmas sales.

Yeah it's one of those choices. Do they go for the summer doldrums book release when folk are looking to read in their time off, or close to Christmas when gifts will be bought.

If I was reccomending one I'd say summer simply because folk who want this book would mostly buy it themselves the day it came out...and not wait to be given it as a gift a month after it's released....so TOR would do better with a summer release like ADWD...as ADWD proved it's fairly big business.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#22 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 26 July 2011 - 02:22 PM

View PostKing Kazma, on 26 July 2011 - 02:00 PM, said:

...Yeah it's one of those choices. Do they go for the summer doldrums book release when folk are looking to read in their time off, or close to Christmas when gifts will be bought....

Counter argument runs that people have more liquid dollars to spend (or at least are more likely to spend anyways) around the holidays, so you get the die-hards who are going to buy it whenever AND the gifty crowd.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#23 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 26 July 2011 - 02:29 PM

Another year of waiting... oh noes!!!
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#24 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 26 July 2011 - 02:30 PM

I just hope that if Brandon finishes early and the book is still a November 2012 release, that he gets a good head start on the next Stormlight Archive book before then.

#25 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 26 July 2011 - 02:34 PM

View PostEnd of Disc One, on 26 July 2011 - 02:30 PM, said:

I just hope that if Brandon finishes early and the book is still a November 2012 release, that he gets a good head start on the next Stormlight Archive book before then.

^^This. I was so blown away by the first Stormlight book that I cannot wait for the next one.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#26 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 26 July 2011 - 05:39 PM

View PostUseOfWeapons, on 26 July 2011 - 01:50 PM, said:

View PostTattersail, on 26 July 2011 - 01:11 PM, said:

so this won't be ready for march 2012?

"Pshaw!"

Tugs braid.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#27 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 26 July 2011 - 10:53 PM

so this won't be ready for march 2012?

No. They moved from March to November 2012 around JordanCon, but unlike the last move (November 2011 to March 2012) this was not publicised at all (maybe outside of a couple of threads on Jordan boards), and virtually no-one knew about it.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#28 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 29 July 2011 - 09:28 AM

View PostTattersail, on 26 July 2011 - 09:54 AM, said:

I do have a query, I was thinking on it the other day, why does Egwene or anyone question Rand and his actions? He is here to save the world, even by breaking it or whatever, if he has to break the seals to re seal the prison then that is what he has to do. Why do they presume that they know better? Egwene is awesome as in TGS, but I hate the way she is against anything that is Rand.

View PostSilk, on 26 July 2011 - 10:58 AM, said:

its a case of history repeating itself, which should be obvious as that is the theme of the book..... Its essentially the same as what happened with Lews Therin but
Spoiler

So, we can sum it all up with "Bitches be crazy, repetitive AND never learn"? ;)
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#29 User is offline   Silk 

• Master of the Decks -- Spinning round and Round
  • Group: Bridgeburner

Posted 29 July 2011 - 10:11 AM

Pretty much goes along the common trope of women be healers and men destructors, venus vs mars ......

#30 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB
  • Interests:WWQBD?
  • WoT Fangirl, Rank Traitor

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:18 PM

View PostSilk, on 26 July 2011 - 10:58 AM, said:

its a case of history repeating itself, which should be obvious as that is the theme of the book..... Its essentially the same as what happened with Lews Therin but
Spoiler

Actually, RJ said that if the women had gone with Lews Therin that saidar would have been tainted as well. He's the Dragon, not God. People have a right to question his decisions.

The President (2012) said:

Please proceed, Governor.

Chris Christie (2016) said:

There it is.

Elizabeth Warren (2020) said:

And no, I’m not talking about Donald Trump. I’m talking about Mayor Bloomberg.

#31 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:49 PM

Just Jesus, basically. A crazy, womanizing Jesus. Who doesn't turn the other cheek.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#32 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 September 2011 - 05:08 PM

From Wert's site:

"On Twitter, Brandon Sanderson has confirmed that he is now 52% done with A Memory of Light, the fourteenth and final Wheel of Time novel. In previous Tweets, Sanderson has said he hopes to deliver the final manuscript before the end of the year or early in 2012.

The book is currently - tentatively - scheduled for publication in the second half of 2012. "

Can't wait to finish this series.

#33 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 08 September 2011 - 05:27 PM

52% done exactly? Not 51.5% or 52.4%?
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#34 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 08 September 2011 - 06:11 PM

View PostMcLovin, on 08 September 2011 - 05:27 PM, said:

Sanderson has always done this. Because he fully outlines all his books before he starts writing them he can give a percentage to how much of that existing outline has become actual pages in the book.

But yeah, I don't think the percentage breaks down into the decimal point.

#35 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 09 September 2011 - 01:03 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 08 September 2011 - 06:11 PM, said:

View PostMcLovin, on 08 September 2011 - 05:27 PM, said:

Sanderson has always done this. Because he fully outlines all his books before he starts writing them he can give a percentage to how much of that existing outline has become actual pages in the book.

But yeah, I don't think the percentage breaks down into the decimal point.

he's even got a 'loading' bar on his official website for all his in-progress works.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#36 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 30 September 2011 - 06:31 PM

View PostTattersail, on 26 July 2011 - 09:54 AM, said:

and you may call me

"Rand Sedai"

I liked Aviendha's vision of the future and the implications. I wonder whether Mat joins Tuon again. I am not too bothered about Perrin, he is too whipped. I want to see Rand die and live again.

I do have a query, I was thinking on it the other day, why does Egwene or anyone question Rand and his actions? He is here to save the world, even by breaking it or whatever, if he has to break the seals to re seal the prison then that is what he has to do. Why do they presume that they know better? Egwene is awesome as in TGS, but I hate the way she is against anything that is Rand.

Rand Sedai is dangerous, because of the possible relationship under the Amrylin. Unless he refuses to recognised anything but the authority of the T'amrylin when the Aes Sedai were last whole.

Tuon is going to turn up at the fields of Merrilor, get her life threatened, Mat saves her life because of the Medallion, both wtfpwning the Aes Sedai who will have beef with her, and sticking two fingers up at the white tower. Perrin is going to be game changer persuading people to support Rand's plan, I'm just glad to see him starting to live up to the awesome I saw in him from book one.

Your answer to the Egwene question is, Egwene is annoying.
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#37 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 02 October 2011 - 07:06 AM

Why would Tuon show up at Merrilor?

There it is.

#38 User is offline   Cyphon 

• Cagey Bastard of TQB

Posted 02 October 2011 - 10:41 AM

She's going to ride up to the White Tower for the attack to discover they're all gone elsewhere, and follow them there. Right into the armies of the light at the fields, have a chit chat with Rand and co and decide a picnic with them at Shayol Gul would be most pleasant indeed.

I suppose alternatively they attack the White Tower, with Egwene's delegation learning at the fields and the armies of light all going to the White Tower's aid. Would seem to be a bit clunkier to me. All of the tower should be with the armies of the light as Rand has said they're going straight to Shayol Gul from there.

Of course this leaves out the whole issue of the hell the Black Tower is going to be dealt with.
Para todos todo, para nosotros nada.

MottI'd always pegged you as more of an Ublala

#39 User is offline   Terez 

• High Analyst of TQB

Posted 02 October 2011 - 10:59 AM

I'm pretty sure that Merrilor along with the Dragon's Peace in Aviendha's visions are a huge red herring. With Caemlyn being attacked, it doesn't seem likely that there will be much of a peace meeting. Also, Nicola's Foretelling suggests that the truce won't happen until after Rand's death and resurrection, which fits with the Arthurian requirements for Rand's death (that it happen at the Battle of Caemlyn).

There it is.

#40 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 October 2011 - 03:54 PM

Is it wrong to think that perhaps Rand and Co won't even GET to Merrilor? That the battle will take place elsewhere? It seems a little cut and dried to have it end up there, so I'd love to see a twist thrown in for good measure.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users