• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Assassin's Creed Series The Assassinest of Assassin threads

#181 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 17 November 2017 - 09:34 PM

View PostAlternative Goose, on 17 November 2017 - 08:29 PM, said:

Can't quite remember if there was a way to get to the pictures in game. But on PC you can go find the the Ubisoft folder in your documents or where ever they are. There's a pictures file in there some where. On consoles I imagine there's some kind of media sub section.

There's definitely a ton of stuff to get lost in. A lot of it is just filler but I still enjoy it. According to the stats I am around 2500 kills now. I tend to just go down the map and take out every single soldier in a camp or outpost or all the predators. There's something incredibly satisfying about headshoting soldiers over and over with the predator bow.

The game does bother me a bit though. I wish they'd drop the "revisionist history" angle and just go full fantasy. Some times when I am raiding a tomb I wish mummies would come at me to give me a different kind of enemy AI to battle. Or giant scorpions in the desert. Or Djinns in the sandstorms, that kind of stuff.

When you're travelling through all those ancient ruins it's hard not to envision what this world would look like through the eyes of Robert E Howard or Steven Erikson. What if you were playing as Conan the Barbarian? Or Dassem Ultor? What if you had actual RPG choice based dialogue, etc.

I hope Ubisoft continues down this path and explores the possibilities.

That would be cool if they did go full fantasy and opened up to those things you mention. But I think Ubisoft takes pride in that the franchise is rooted in reality. I get the feeling a lot of first timers to playing any of the games think they are learning actual history.

Having choices in the dialog would be a definite improvement. There's been side quests and main story missions that I've played that would be a lot more interesting if they had included that. The way it is just comes off as predictable to where the dialog ends up going. You can tell they took some pointers from The Witcher III when developing Origins. They should have tried to implement the dialog options as well.

I'm hoping they stay with releasing an Assassin's Creed game every two years now - or even longer, instead of every year so they can take the time to listen to gamers and implement some of these features.

#182 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 17 November 2017 - 09:39 PM

I could imagine them doing staggered releases of AC one year and Watch Dogs the next, repeat, etc.

#183 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 18 November 2017 - 03:46 AM

I feel that, a bit like how Shadow of Mordor plays similarly to AC, the "fantasy rpg alt universe" version of the game could become its own franchise. One can hope.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#184 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 18 November 2017 - 01:14 PM

Started Syndicate, played through the Whitechapel area.

I like the London setting, the trains and the ability to flip between twins. Although neither are particularly appeling. I haven't played an A.C game since Black Flag, and I'm surprised so little has changed. It just feels so.. dated. The usual bugs and poor freerunning controls are all still there, along with the HUD clutter, highlighted targets and constant interruptions to gameplay (the cutscenes are awful! And what happened to blending in? Now I get spotted instantly - but if I press the sneak button everyone looks and says things like 'are you up to no good?' Didn't there used to be a low profile mode?)

But that's all part of AC now I guess, I knew what I was getting on that front. (Although you'd think they would have nailed that freerunning after so many games).

Kind of drawn in though; mostly by the setting I think, and the fact that I want a stovepipe hat.

This post has been edited by T'rav Elar: 18 November 2017 - 03:02 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#185 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:23 AM

Started Origins. Maybe 4 hrs in. Honestly this could be the first time I am properly playing an AC game since the fist. I put time in all of them but for various reasons kept putting playing them off, I kept thinking I wanted the time to be able to immerse myself in them properly which has now led to me having an AC backlog a mile long.

In any event I am so far enjoying it but not loving it. I am not enjoying the RPG mechanics. I knew the game had more RPG mechanics but I thought that refered to skill trees and weapon attributes. Never really thought that it meant that if I went up against someone 5 lvls higher than me and I shot an arrow in his eye that my arrow would glance off his sclera like it was hardened steal for 1 point of damage. It makes me feel less like a badass and constrains my ability to explore. Although Ironically I guess when I go after people 5 levels lower than me I suppose they will die when I look at them.

I also see that they have tried to make combat more exciting and possibly skill based. Although I see why they might have done this I do miss the parry and kill mechanic. I use to ogle in awe at the sweet choreographed moves of my assassin dogging a hammer only to sneak in with his hidden blade in his opponents arm pit. Was a visual feast.

The open world of the game is massive but as a result the missions seem less tight. Maybe its just too early in the game but so far I cant tell the difference between clearing out a random red area with a captain and killing a masked one.

Senu is a cool mechanic that is also reminiscent of the drone from nearly every ghost recon game ubisoft has ever made.

#186 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:31 AM

View PostCause, on 07 December 2017 - 08:23 AM, said:

Started Origins. Maybe 4 hrs in. Honestly this could be the first time I am properly playing an AC game since the fist. I put time in all of them but for various reasons kept putting playing them off, I kept thinking I wanted the time to be able to immerse myself in them properly which has now led to me having an AC backlog a mile long.

In any event I am so far enjoying it but not loving it. I am not enjoying the RPG mechanics. I knew the game had more RPG mechanics but I thought that refered to skill trees and weapon attributes. Never really thought that it meant that if I went up against someone 5 lvls higher than me and I shot an arrow in his eye that my arrow would glance off his sclera like it was hardened steal for 1 point of damage. It makes me feel less like a badass and constrains my ability to explore. Although Ironically I guess when I go after people 5 levels lower than me I suppose they will die when I look at them.

I also see that they have tried to make combat more exciting and possibly skill based. Although I see why they might have done this I do miss the parry and kill mechanic. I use to ogle in awe at the sweet choreographed moves of my assassin dogging a hammer only to sneak in with his hidden blade in his opponents arm pit. Was a visual feast.

The open world of the game is massive but as a result the missions seem less tight. Maybe its just too early in the game but so far I cant tell the difference between clearing out a random red area with a captain and killing a masked one.

Senu is a cool mechanic that is also reminiscent of the drone from nearly every ghost recon game ubisoft has ever made.

This is basically where I'm at with the game at roughly the same point of progression. Haven't picked it up for a couple of weeks though because I got sidetracked by having internet back.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#187 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 07 December 2017 - 12:02 PM

The game is very set on funnelling you through 4-5 areas specifically untill you reach level 30, then you can branch out and do what ever. As you farm materials you damage will out pace the enemys Health bars.

Also predator arrows to the head will do away with most enemies, except the heavies. And even then, when you get an epic bow, you'll begin to just kill everything that moves.

#188 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 08 December 2017 - 10:02 AM

Yup I have been following the laws of video games. If it's an animal it's just s walking resource and so must be harvested.

I think I'm one level shy of max quiver. Although predator bow is still only like 7 or 8 arrows.

I hate that it's a skill to unlock access to a second bow but at any time I can pause and change weapons. Don't make skills make the UI more streamlined. If they wanted realism they shoukd have made it that you need to interact with the packs on your camel to change your loadout.

#189 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 08 December 2017 - 11:16 AM

I pretty much only carried the predator and hunting bows.

Hunting for normal/weak enemies. Predator for the ones who needed a real kicking.

#190 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 08 December 2017 - 04:02 PM

I always have a hunter bow and predator bow too. I just got the skill where you can control an arrow's flight from a predator bow. It's so satisfying to be high above and direct an arrow to the head of one of the captains/lieutenants you need to kill.

Did you ever tame an animal? I just selected that skill but have yet to use it. I would like to tame a lion at my level and then have him do by bidding. Not sure how it works yet though.

Also, I was looking over the achievements you can get. It looks like there is one when you find the area in the desert where it is raining insects. I'd like to get that one. Sounds cool.

#191 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 12 December 2017 - 08:54 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 08 December 2017 - 04:02 PM, said:

I always have a hunter bow and predator bow too. I just got the skill where you can control an arrow's flight from a predator bow. It's so satisfying to be high above and direct an arrow to the head of one of the captains/lieutenants you need to kill.

Did you ever tame an animal? I just selected that skill but have yet to use it. I would like to tame a lion at my level and then have him do by bidding. Not sure how it works yet though.

Also, I was looking over the achievements you can get. It looks like there is one when you find the area in the desert where it is raining insects. I'd like to get that one. Sounds cool.

Except for 2nd bow which doubled my ammo I have actually been focusing on fighting skills. Seemed the most abundantly useful. I need like 2 more points and then I will start every fight with a full adrenaline bar and be able to use overwhelm on 2 opponents at once. Given most fights are 4 or less enemies at a time so far I figured being able to kill 2 of them outright might really help me out.

#192 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 12 December 2017 - 09:48 PM

View PostCause, on 12 December 2017 - 08:54 AM, said:

View PostMalankazooie, on 08 December 2017 - 04:02 PM, said:

Except for 2nd bow which doubled my ammo I have actually been focusing on fighting skills. Seemed the most abundantly useful. I need like 2 more points and then I will start every fight with a full adrenaline bar and be able to use overwhelm on 2 opponents at once. Given most fights are 4 or less enemies at a time so far I figured being able to kill 2 of them outright might really help me out.

I usually try to stay stealth myself. Any of those places where you have to kill a captain/lieutenant and steal the treasure, I usually silently assassinate them and then either hide the bodies or poison them (which had it's novelty at first, watching their men discovering their bodies and having that surprise sprung on them). I then stealthily steal the treasure. If there are any enemies in the path, I will usually sleep dart them and then just slink on by. Once I get the treasure, I get the hell out of there without another disturbance (if possible).

#193 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 13 December 2017 - 06:51 AM

I used very little up close stealth in this game. Like 80-100% of every encounter was me snipping people with the bows, then looking for more arrows and loot. I killed everything that moved. Songs will be written about the trail of death I cut through Egypt.

This post has been edited by Alternative Goose: 13 December 2017 - 06:54 AM

#194 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 13 December 2017 - 07:25 AM

I go stealth too, but don't really need skill points for that. Just skill and patience. Get spotted every now and then though, also just brawl my way through the convoys.

I think I need to upgrade my bracer because my arrows seldom one shot kill enemies which makes arrow stealth hard.

#195 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 13 December 2017 - 02:01 PM

Have you won a chariot race? I tried a couple times but failed to get first place. Not sure if I need to purchase the fastest horse or just keep at it until I figure out all the nuances to win one.

Also, I came upon the war elephant arena. I jumped the fence and was promptly killed by the elephant. I'm guessing there is a learning curve to that one too.

Still working on solving the papyrus riddles, as that seems the best way to get the exotic gear.

Need to push the story forward now because I've pretty much discovered (and completed) all the ? on the map and all the side missions in the area of Alexandria and locations directly adjacent.

#196 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 13 December 2017 - 02:36 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 13 December 2017 - 02:01 PM, said:

Have you won a chariot race? I tried a couple times but failed to get first place. Not sure if I need to purchase the fastest horse or just keep at it until I figure out all the nuances to win one.

Also, I came upon the war elephant arena. I jumped the fence and was promptly killed by the elephant. I'm guessing there is a learning curve to that one too.

Still working on solving the papyrus riddles, as that seems the best way to get the exotic gear.

Need to push the story forward now because I've pretty much discovered (and completed) all the ? on the map and all the side missions in the area of Alexandria and locations directly adjacent.

Not tried racing yet. Been gaming Wildlands while I game origins so slow going.

I have been warned not to solve the riddles too early. You pick up the gear at the lvl you are when you get it. Blacksmiths can upgrade them to your current lvl but I'm lead to believe its not cheap. I was told to wait for lvl 30 or so before solving them.

#197 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 13 December 2017 - 04:19 PM

View PostCause, on 13 December 2017 - 02:36 PM, said:

View PostMalankazooie, on 13 December 2017 - 02:01 PM, said:

Not tried racing yet. Been gaming Wildlands while I game origins so slow going.

I have been warned not to solve the riddles too early. You pick up the gear at the lvl you are when you get it. Blacksmiths can upgrade them to your current lvl but I'm lead to believe its not cheap. I was told too wait for lvl 30 or so before solving them.

Yes. Blacksmiths upgrades are pricey. I've been bringing my favorite weapons up with my level though. I get so many legendary items that I sell, so I've been able to keep a few of my go to exotics at my level such that it hasn't been to much of a burden on my pocket book. Also, in solving some of the papyrus riddles, I've attained a few duplicate exotics. Which is a nice payday when you sell the extra ones to the blacksmith.

#198 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 16 December 2017 - 09:00 AM

This game has a balancing issue. Whst started out as me being caredull because i was too low lvl has turned into me killing anything that's within 5 lvls of me above or below

I can brawl anything. More enemies need shields. Don't known if it's because I did some gear upgraded or what but it's become ewsy

#199 User is offline   Cause 

• Elder God

Posted 20 December 2017 - 09:30 AM

Update: Sudden difficulty spike around lvl 28. Having to assassinate a lvl 30 champion 3 times to kill them is a little ridiculous. Killed my first Phylake, took 2 assassinations and an overwhelm and some fighting to do it. Does not feel very assassins creed.

The spike in difficulty and the LVL requirements have forced me to slow down and do side missions to lvl up. Not sure how the lvl system works but I presume their are severe damage penalties when I attack enemies higher than me. I thought it really only applied to skull lvl enemies but seems to be true for those even a few lvl HIGHERs. Managed to power through up till now but its become ridiculous. Which is annoying because while some side missions are fun I am finding many are also painfully crap. Kill 2 herons, kill 2 flamingos and go watch a ritual at a temple? Do I really need to waste my time on this? Its not my gear that's the problem. I have lvl everything to be at lest one level short of max already and my weapons are now all legendaries. I just want to proceed with the story.

#200 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 20 December 2017 - 04:07 PM

The level difference once you get into the 30s in a thing, for sure. I'm at level 35 and came upon an encampment with level 37 soldiers. It pretty much handled me as if they had skulls.

Agree about the side missions. There's just not very much variety. If I have to do another mission where I have to carry a schmuck back for his relatives I may just drop him into a crocodile swamp instead.

Share this topic:

• 19 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users