• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Michael J. Sullivan....this guy rocks!

#61 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:01 AM

Finished Theft of Swords and started Rise of Empires. I like how Sullivan is slow playing Royce and Hadrian's background. I mean a lot is obviously hinted at, but he doesn't give you final confirmation until much later in the series.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#62 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:22 PM

View Postacesn8s, on 10 January 2012 - 11:01 AM, said:

Finished Theft of Swords and started Rise of Empires. I like how Sullivan is slow playing Royce and Hadrian's background. I mean a lot is obviously hinted at, but he doesn't give you final confirmation until much later in the series.

^_^
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#63 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:38 AM

Googling Michael Sullivan, I came across one of the all time greatest album covers:

Posted Image

This post has been edited by End of Disc One: 11 January 2012 - 12:39 AM

#64 User is offline   Pilgrim 

• Lieutenant

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:18 PM

Just finished Theft of Swords, bought on kindle after reading the praise here and I'm not at all disappointed. Great read with hints of a much deeper story to come. I was pleasantly surprised that the ending was not what I expected it to be. Can't wait to move on with the rest of the series!
Bathtardth! Why you do tha? Hood'th b'eth!
--Emancipor Reese

#65 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 17 June 2012 - 01:42 AM

Nearly finished Theft of Swords and will be getting the next omnibus soon. I really like his straightforward writing style, and the characterisation is quite good without being overblown. Sullivan seems to have a knack of giving you what's necessary in a minimum of time without walls of expository text interrupting the flow. It's just so easy and enjoyable to read.

There's a piece in the 2nd book (Avempartha) where Hadrian is instructing a farmer on what's important about using a sword, even before you pick one up. I'm no expert on the subject but it just reads so easily and makes so much sense, and it also gives us a glimpse into Hadrian's character, all at the same time.

Tight, rich, clean (ooo-er, sounds a bit naughty, eh? :harhar: ) prose. Authors of unnecessarily overblown door-stoppers take note.

This post has been edited by Sombra: 17 June 2012 - 01:42 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#66 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:31 AM

I seem to be the only one who doesn't get the love for these. They're perfectly acceptable sword'n'sorcery, I suppose, but not much beyond that.
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#67 User is offline   Ukjent 

• First Sword

Posted 17 June 2012 - 12:51 PM

The series start very well, but it's declining during the final books. But still, it's a enjoyable read

#68 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:10 AM

View PostUseOfWeapons, on 17 June 2012 - 09:31 AM, said:

I seem to be the only one who doesn't get the love for these. They're perfectly acceptable sword'n'sorcery, I suppose, but not much beyond that.

Started off ok, and hes got some interesting ideas, but its pretty obvious what is going to happen less than halfway through the books.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#69 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:02 AM

View PostObdigore, on 18 June 2012 - 04:10 AM, said:

Started off ok, and hes got some interesting ideas, but its pretty obvious what is going to happen less than halfway through the books.

I think I had a bit of a bleh rant already elsewhere :harhar:
It's decent YA/ non-pretentious stuff, I'd consider it 21st century Eddings entry level fantasy, but not a work of brilliance.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#70 User is offline   T77 

• High Fist

Posted 18 June 2012 - 02:41 PM

I didn't care for it either. After seeing much praise for this guy I just did not see it being merited. It found it very meh.

#71 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:19 AM

You're all so jaded. :rolleyes:

The entry-level crack just isn't cutting it for you these days, you need MORE. Pretty soon even Erikson and Bakker won't be enough and you'll be jonesing for a 20 volume series of navel-gazing doorstoppers...

... and then one day even THAT won't cut it. Then you'll be like those bitter, cynical professional film critics who didn't even like The Avengers. Or even worse, like those feminazguls who troll our favourite authors with their wagon trains full of baggage.

Stop now, before it's too late! Please, won't somebody think of the children?!?!

Dun dun dunnnnnnn :)

This post has been edited by Sombra: 21 June 2012 - 10:20 AM

"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#72 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 21 June 2012 - 01:24 PM

Yeah, maybe. But there's entry level crack (Sullivan), and there's entry level cliche-ridden crack done mind-bogglingly well (Butcher's Codex Alera). Forgive me for wanting more of the latter than the former. I still love old-fashioned stories done well.
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#73 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:58 PM

Just finished the 3rd omnibus (Heir of Novron) and it tied it all up pretty satisfactorily. :D :p

With the exception of a couple of off-camera deaths and the occasional jarring "gonna" or "dunno" from a character who hasn't shown a predilection for uing the vernacular previously, I quite enjoyed it.

Definitely better than Eddings entry-level crack. I enjoyed following Royce and Hadrian in a different way than I did when I read about Tavi in the Codex Alera.
Actually, in some ways I think they were better characters. But then again, JB WAS playing with cliches quite deliberately.

I'll be getting the prequel, even though I normally detest such things.

#74 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:19 PM

Just started the first book and am 50 pages in--so far so good! This is exactly what I wanted after the lenghty A Memory of Light.

#75 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:41 PM

I'm planning on reading this sometime soon-ish, but I've got a question: I've got the prequel short story "The Viscount and the Witch" on my Kindle; should I read that first? Or, perhaps more accurately, is there any reason I shouldn't read it first?
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#76 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:29 PM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 25 February 2013 - 04:41 PM, said:

I'm planning on reading this sometime soon-ish, but I've got a question: I've got the prequel short story "The Viscount and the Witch" on my Kindle; should I read that first? Or, perhaps more accurately, is there any reason I shouldn't read it first?

I haven't read the prequel and I don't know when it takes place or when it was released. However part of the fun of The Crown Conspiracy I'm finding is revelations of the characters' pasts in bits and pieces. You don't know anything about them at the start but you learn about them through comments that other characters make. I'm starting to see why this series has "Revelations" in the title.

So I can see why it might matter when you read the prequel.

#77 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:27 AM

You might as well start with it. Michael is really active on reddit's fantasy section, and he recommends people check it out as a sample of his work for anyone on the fence. Since he recommends it as a starting point, no reason not to start with it.

#78 User is offline   Dragnipurake 

• Captain

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:18 AM

Just finished the revelations series over the past week. Its always funny to see how opinions differ and I'm a little stunned to see the negative reviews but this series was just fantastic. The first book (in th original 6 part series) was simplistic but it just kept getting better and better. I found the (anti)climax of rise of empire pretty ballsy for a 'classic' fantasy story.

#79 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:28 PM

Yeah, and the final book in the series is probably the best as well. The journey from book 1 to book 6 really shows how Sullivan's skills grew.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#80 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:39 PM

Read 1-4 ( 5 and 6 in the pipes once EX-COMMUNICATION is done). Totally agree his writing steadily improves.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users