• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Michael J. Sullivan....this guy rocks!

#41 User is offline   Tuberski 

• Lieutenant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 19 November 2011 - 09:16 PM

I've read the first four books and enjoyed them quite a lot. I got the first book as a free download on Amazon. If not for that I may not have read any of them....until now.

#42 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 19 November 2011 - 11:25 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 19 November 2011 - 08:21 PM, said:

I've got the omnibus. Read the first one fairly sharpish, have paused the second one for a bit but will be back.

Enjoyed it. Fills the 'traditional fantasy romp' hole nicely, in a genre which is increasingly moving away from that- not that I'm complaining, but it's nice seeing the ground not entirely abandoned.

One distracting thing was the exposition - I have to disagree with Wert that the worldbuilding was subtle. On several occasions characters stopped to have conversations about things that they clearly all already know, purely for the benefit of the reader. If I'm honest, I skimmed a couple of those.

I also didn't find the prose amazing, but it was fine really; it worked, just I'm very picky and have had similar issues with Sanderson, Scholes, Charlton and several others that didn't have a certain flow.

That I thoroughly enjoyed it despite that problem (I've not finished the first books of either Scholes or Charlton yet) is a plus point for the likability factor.

Sometimes PG...just sometimes...I think you are TOO picky. :)

But I'm down with it anyways.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#43 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 20 November 2011 - 09:28 PM

I can't argue with that one... :) Sometimes it's really annoying. :)
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#44 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 06 December 2011 - 05:50 AM

Read the first Omni, was pretty good. Picked up the second one, having a bit of trouble getting into the first story.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#45 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 December 2011 - 02:12 PM

Yeah, NYPHRON RISING takes up a few whole new plot threads and thus is a bit of a slower mid-book, but it does get better once you get solidly into it, and EMERALD STORM (4th book) is really decent as well....but I think the 5th book WINTERTIDE is my 3rd fave after the first and second.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#46 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:49 PM

A quick little review of the short fiction prequel piece he recently wrote.

http://icebergink.bl...-and-witch.html

#47 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 18 December 2011 - 03:48 AM

Bought the first Orbit omnibus yesterday. Looking forward to it, but I admit the 'to read' pile is rather daunting now.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#48 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 30 December 2011 - 01:38 PM

Am about 140 pages into the final book (received as an ARC kindly from the author) PERCEPLIQUIS and so far it's been REALLY good. The opening chapter was a doozy in which:

Spoiler

#49 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 01 January 2012 - 07:18 PM

just finished my ARC of the final book PERCEPLIQUIS. I was literally blown away. The book is an absolute triumph for the end of the series. Definitely my fave of the whole series, it is an AMAZING conclusion. You folks are in for a treat. :D

#50 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:47 PM

Here is my spoiler-free review of the last book folks!

In short, I LOVED it.

http://icebergink.bl...-michael-j.html

#51 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 02 January 2012 - 06:27 PM

Based on your reviews I picked up the 1st Omnibus for my Nook.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”
― Steven Brust, The Phoenix Guards

#52 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 January 2012 - 07:03 PM

View Postacesn8s, on 02 January 2012 - 06:27 PM, said:

Based on your reviews I picked up the 1st Omnibus for my Nook.

Hope you enjoy it!

#53 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken
  • Interests:Reading, video games, role playing games, Fountain Pens, journals...

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:07 PM

ebook keeps crashing my Nook App (iPhone). It works fine on my Nook, though.
“The others followed, and found themselves in a small, stuffy basement, which would have been damp, smelly, close, and dark, were it not, in fact, well-lit, which prevented it from being dark.”

#54 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:29 PM

The positive buzz here is very encouraging.
Received the first collection but am resolutely going to wait for the other two to arrive with OST and then (enthusiastically) read them all in a row.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#55 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:03 PM

I have also bought the first two books solely because of QuickTidal. Or at least, I never would have paid attention to other reviews for it if not for QuickTidal. Probably won't get to them for a while though.

#56 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:03 AM

Started Theft of Swords yesterday. I was a little dubious based on the simplistic description of the Kingdoms of Apeledon in the beginning of the book, but the Sullivan's prose is just fine. Just scratching the surface now, seems pretty good.

#57 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:29 PM

View Postacesn8s, on 04 January 2012 - 11:03 AM, said:

Started Theft of Swords yesterday. I was a little dubious based on the simplistic description of the Kingdoms of Apeledon in the beginning of the book, but the Sullivan's prose is just fine. Just scratching the surface now, seems pretty good.

There is a simple and easy manner to a lot of the goings on, but do not be deceived, things go much deeper as the story progresses.

THE CROWN CONSPIRACY is awesome, but it almost acts as prelude to the amazing events on AVEMPARTHA where Sullivan REALLY ups the ante.

#58 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:48 PM

Oh, I got the book to work on my Nook app. It appears that when I tried to bookmark on of the map pages, the bookmark never took and the app crashed. When I checked the bookmarks on my Nook I could see a bookmark without a page number. I cleared all the bookmarks and waited for about a 1/2 hour and opened the book on my phone again. Nook app is working fine now.

#59 User is offline   acesn8s 

• Soletaken

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:11 PM

1/2 way through the first omnibus and enjoying the heck out of it. A nice fun read.

#60 User is offline   heretics fork 

• Corporal

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:40 AM

You guys convinced me, I bought Theft of Swords and it is now on my (extensive) TBR pile.

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users