• You cannot reply to this topic

Michael J. Sullivan....this guy rocks!

#21 User is offline   dktorode 

• Luck is my middle name, Mind you, my first name is Bad."
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 26 October 2010 - 01:29 PM

Listening to it now at work
...┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐...

Why dont they make the whole plane out of that black box stuff?

#22 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 22 February 2011 - 08:18 PM

Sullivan got picked up by ORBIT now. Bought bloody time!

Exciting!

http://icebergink.bl...vans-ryria.html
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#23 User is offline   Fist Gamet 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Writing, reading, writing, climbing, writing, scuba diving and writing (not at the same time)

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:15 PM

I am of a mind to have a read of this but I have a horrendous (in a good way) number of books in my 'to be read' pile. I tend to want to see a number of reviews first as well, having been burned before, thus, has anyone else read The Crown Conspiracy yet?
Victory is mine!

#24 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 23 February 2011 - 01:28 PM

GoodReads has a good smattering of reviews for it.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#25 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 23 February 2011 - 05:19 PM

Fantasy Book Critic is also a big fan.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#26 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 October 2011 - 04:15 PM

Okay guys, with the Orbit release omnibuses coming out over the next few months I've made up a new post to check out. It has all the relevant info about the series and the author, and even info about the new short story he wrote that takes place 11 years before the first book.

http://icebergink.bl...j-sullivan.html

#27 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 13 October 2011 - 05:59 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 13 October 2011 - 04:15 PM, said:

Okay guys, with the Orbit release omnibuses coming out over the next few months I've made up a new post to check out. It has all the relevant info about the series and the author, and even info about the new short story he wrote that takes place 11 years before the first book.

http://icebergink.bl...j-sullivan.html

good piece on your blog, tnx for the tip. I'm in.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#28 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 October 2011 - 06:05 PM

View PostAbyss, on 13 October 2011 - 05:59 PM, said:

good piece on your blog, tnx for the tip. I'm in.

thank you kindly sir.

#29 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 14 October 2011 - 04:38 PM

amazon.uk had them at 5.99lbs each, which with a little exchange rate fu, worked out to less than the .ca or .com prices, so i added all three to my OST pre-order, which has the added benefit of giving me an entire series to read post Malazan fix.

#30 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 14 October 2011 - 04:58 PM

View PostAbyss, on 14 October 2011 - 04:38 PM, said:

amazon.uk had them at 5.99lbs each, which with a little exchange rate fu, worked out to less than the .ca or .com prices, so i added all three to my OST pre-order, which has the added benefit of giving me an entire series to read post Malazan fix.

Indeed, awesome. They are good classical fantasy with a great deal of heart.

#31 User is offline   Michael J. Sullivan 

• Recruit

Posted 16 October 2011 - 11:44 AM

So how terribly cool is it to find a forum that has your name and "this guy rocks" in the title? I'd just like to thank QuickTidal and the other supporters here for helping to get the word out about my books. I was responding to an email from a guy who is just starting his path to publication and found myself saying both ... "I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy" and "There's no greater feeling in the world". It is truly a double edge sword. Publishing is a tough...tough business and everytime you reach one plateau you look up to see another sheer cliff staring you in the face. A bad review will cut through your heart like a knife and there will be numerous reasons to give up alltogether, but then you find people who really "get" what you're doing and love your work and then it is all worth it -- and then some.

In many ways, now that we are close to the Orbit release, I feel like I'm once more at the foot of a cliff face and it seems nearly impossible that I'll be able to reach the next level. But I'm better equipped now (with a large international publisher behind me) then when the climb started and I feel people cheering me on and that is SOOOOO encouraging. For those that don't know...I recently put out a little free short that is a prequel to The Riyria Revelations. It is stand alone and only 5,400 words so it's a quick easy way to test the waters as it were. I hope you'll check it out and whether I fall to my death or reach the next foothold - at least it has been an adventure along the way.

Attached File  The Viscount and the Witch - Michael J. Sullivan.pdf (647.71K)
Number of downloads: 24

#32 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 16 October 2011 - 12:57 PM

Oh awesome, thanks for stopping by Michael!

#33 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 16 October 2011 - 02:33 PM

on the basis of Quick's recommendations, i've Kindled the first of these books.

It's next on my to read after the Stephenson i'm currently working through.

So i'll report back in, say, a week tops :rofl:
meh. Link was dead :(

#34 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 17 October 2011 - 03:25 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 16 October 2011 - 12:57 PM, said:

Oh awesome, thanks for stopping by Michael!

Seconded, and good luck to you. I'm looking forward to reading the series.
And thanks for the link to the short story.

#35 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:31 PM

well into the first kindle book (which is the first two combined)

entertainingly solid. liking it quite a bit. thanks for the suggestions peoples.

Edit to say - i'll be getting the rest when I finish up the current one ;) Emotionally, I say bless you amazon 1-click. Financially it's getting me into more and more trouble. Oh well, i'd only spend the cash on drugs and hookers otherwise.

This post has been edited by Cocoreturns: 28 October 2011 - 09:36 PM

meh. Link was dead :(

#36 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 13 November 2011 - 07:34 PM

Reading the first Orbit omnibus now. And it's very solid stuff. Enjoyable and light, with the 'classic fantasy' approach not meaning 'outdated and lame, y'know, like Eddings'. Fast-paced and fun with some rather subtle worldbuilding (even if the map's lack of a scale is highly confusing: we are told that the human lands are vast, yet 10 miles seems to take you from one side of a kingdom to the other). I particularly like the fact that when characters meet a long-lived individual born a thousand years earlier who hasn't hung out much with the rest of the world, they can barely understand him and it's like a modern British person trying to talk to Chaucer. They can do it, but it takes time and patience (of course, being a wizard he eventually overcomes the problem, but it's nice it's mentioned).

As of the first book (about 200 pages into the omnibus, so about 2/3s of the way through the original first volume) it's shaping up to be a fun read. As a debut novel, it's much stronger than Scholes, Weeks, Charlton or Sanderson, which I really wasn't expecting given it's self-published origins. Nice one.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#37 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 November 2011 - 07:46 PM

View PostWerthead, on 13 November 2011 - 07:34 PM, said:

Reading the first Orbit omnibus now. And it's very solid stuff. Enjoyable and light, with the 'classic fantasy' approach not meaning 'outdated and lame, y'know, like Eddings'. Fast-paced and fun with some rather subtle worldbuilding (even if the map's lack of a scale is highly confusing: we are told that the human lands are vast, yet 10 miles seems to take you from one side of a kingdom to the other). I particularly like the fact that when characters meet a long-lived individual born a thousand years earlier who hasn't hung out much with the rest of the world, they can barely understand him and it's like a modern British person trying to talk to Chaucer. They can do it, but it takes time and patience (of course, being a wizard he eventually overcomes the problem, but it's nice it's mentioned).

As of the first book (about 200 pages into the omnibus, so about 2/3s of the way through the original first volume) it's shaping up to be a fun read. As a debut novel, it's much stronger than Scholes, Weeks, Charlton or Sanderson, which I really wasn't expecting given it's self-published origins. Nice one.

Glad to hear you are enjoying it sir!

Also, Esrahaddon FTW. LOL

#38 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 17 November 2011 - 05:52 AM

First omnibus just arrived... amazon split up my order. Am leaning towards waiting for the entire thing to be here, but ooo tempting.

#39 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 17 November 2011 - 06:29 AM

Oh the omnibuses came out finally?

Might have to run over to B&N this weekend.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#40 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage

Posted 19 November 2011 - 08:21 PM

I've got the omnibus. Read the first one fairly sharpish, have paused the second one for a bit but will be back.

Enjoyed it. Fills the 'traditional fantasy romp' hole nicely, in a genre which is increasingly moving away from that- not that I'm complaining, but it's nice seeing the ground not entirely abandoned.

One distracting thing was the exposition - I have to disagree with Wert that the worldbuilding was subtle. On several occasions characters stopped to have conversations about things that they clearly all already know, purely for the benefit of the reader. If I'm honest, I skimmed a couple of those.

I also didn't find the prose amazing, but it was fine really; it worked, just I'm very picky and have had similar issues with Sanderson, Scholes, Charlton and several others that didn't have a certain flow.

That I thoroughly enjoyed it despite that problem (I've not finished the first books of either Scholes or Charlton yet) is a plus point for the likability factor.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users