• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Michael J. Sullivan....this guy rocks!

#81 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:34 PM

Just finished Avempartha and loved it even more than the first. These books are near perfect to me. Fun reads with all the fat trimmed, and just enough world building/backstory to keep me interested. The only complaint I can think of is that the action scenes can be lacking, and Sullivan sometimes breezes through them too quickly.

#82 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 12 November 2013 - 02:41 PM

View PostEnd of Disc One, on 12 November 2013 - 02:34 PM, said:

Just finished Avempartha and loved it even more than the first. These books are near perfect to me. Fun reads with all the fat trimmed, and just enough world building/backstory to keep me interested. The only complaint I can think of is that the action scenes can be lacking, and Sullivan sometimes breezes through them too quickly.

There are some great action sequences coming up in latter books. Just keep reading. :unworthy:

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 12 November 2013 - 02:41 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#83 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 12 November 2013 - 06:58 PM

So i finished the HEIR OF NOVRON series and enjoyed it.
Nicely written, fun characters, great action scenes. Hadrian and Royce are a great team in the spirit of Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser.

I will cheerfully spend dollars on more from this author.

I do, however have one 'complaint' i'd like to see what others think of:
SPOILERS FOR LAST TWO BOOKS IN SERIES

Spoiler

Did this jump out to anyone else?
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#84 User is offline   Stormcat 

• cat of storms
  • Interests:sci fi/fantasy books. WoW.

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:35 PM

I grabbed the free short story on my kindle, put the others on my wish list. :unworthy:

#85 User is offline   Ukjent 

• First Sword

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:37 PM

Now you just have to start reading The rose and the Thorn and The Crown Tower. Both are set some time before the happenings of Revelation.

#86 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:28 PM

View PostAbyss, on 12 November 2013 - 06:58 PM, said:

Nicely written, fun characters, great action scenes. Hadrian and Royce are a great team in the spirit of Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser.

Spoiler

I'd say...

Spoiler

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 12 November 2013 - 08:32 PM

"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#87 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:33 PM

View PostGraablick, on 12 November 2013 - 07:37 PM, said:

Now you just have to start reading The rose and the Thorn and The Crown Tower. Both are set some time before the happenings of Revelation.

I'm staring the ROSE & THORN later, but I can fully vouch for the excellence of THE CROWN TOWER. :unworthy:

#88 User is offline   Dragnipurake 

• Captain

Posted 13 November 2013 - 06:45 AM

The crown tower was great but the rose and the thorn was filled with useless 'spacefiller', pages and pages of irrelevant stuff to pad up the book. I just wish he made this into a short story instead.

#89 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 November 2013 - 11:12 PM

View PostDragnipurake, on 13 November 2013 - 06:45 AM, said:

The crown tower was great but the rose and the thorn was filled with useless 'spacefiller', pages and pages of irrelevant stuff to pad up the book. I just wish he made this into a short story instead.

Part of it WAS a short story funnily enough, the second or third chapter is actually a portion of THE VISCOUNT AND THE WITCH.

I'm about halfway through and I've not found it to be filler-ish at all. He's kind of filling in the world of the main series with back-stories, like Hilfred.

#90 User is offline   Dragnipurake 

• Captain

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:39 AM

The background story on other characters like Hilfred is good but i just felt the scenes in this book had a lot of unnecessary descriptions (something like you see in the latter WOT books).

#91 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:34 PM

I enjoyed the trilogy, but the "revelations" were rather... predictable. As far back as 50 pages into Theft, I had two storylines figured out. Now, I didn't have it all down, and that's what made it quite entertaining, along with the fact that Sullivan does a nice job of mixing in some newer tropes into his classic fantasy world.

Would recommend. Would recommend Alera before.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#92 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 09 February 2017 - 06:34 PM

Spoiler

NECRO!!!!!!!!

Abyss... so this is neat all these years later to necro this thread. The new series Sullivan is currently releasing, which starts in AGE OF MYTH...actually answers your years-ago complaint from above in a very interesting way.

The history of the elves as we know it in The Revelations...it turns out is NOT the history of the Elves really at all and was fashioned by unreliable-narrator/historian humans after the fact. AGE OF MYTH is very much like Erikson's current series in that respect. Completely rewriting what we think we know about the world that the author created, and more specifically...the elves (in Erikson's case the Tiste) story.

Just a fun factoid about the new series. I was rereading the thread and came across your old spoilered comment, and thought...holy crap, Sullivan is dealing with this very thing in the new story.

#93 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 09 February 2017 - 09:25 PM

BK start with Theft of Swords.

#94 User is offline   JPK 

• Lemming of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Sacrificing myself for everyone else's greater good!

Posted 09 February 2017 - 09:40 PM

As much as I'd love to get you on Wurts, I'd recommend waiting until you've finished either Safehold or Outlander. WoLaS are fairly dense reads.

#95 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 10 February 2017 - 01:39 AM

I am going to have to finish Riyria at some point - I read the first book and liked it.

BTW I asked the author himself, and he prefers a publication based reading order: Revelations - Chronicles - Age of Myth

#96 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 10 February 2017 - 02:04 AM

View PostCheesewiz, on 10 February 2017 - 01:57 AM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 10 February 2017 - 01:39 AM, said:

I am going to have to finish Riyria at some point - I read the first book and liked it.

BTW I asked the author himself, and he prefers a publication based reading order: Revelations - Chronicles - Age of Myth

Cool. I ll add it to my 2034 pile.

Yeah Kitsu I'm super happy I got the call when I did otherwise I'd have bought another fucking bk when I still have 20+ unread at home. I just happened to have be standing right fucking in front of those when I was reading QTs post. Fate

Very strange they didn't have Wurts or GGK. Figured they would. Guess I ll have to Amazon them.

I will have to echo JPK here. Wurts is fantastic, but huge. And the series is still ongoing, I think one book this year, and the last one next year.

So go for GGk. Have you read anything by him? I would recommend Lions of Al Rassan as a starter, I plan to read the Sarantium duology and Tigana this year.

#97 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 10 February 2017 - 02:08 PM

View PostBriar King, on 10 February 2017 - 01:57 AM, said:

View PostAndorion, on 10 February 2017 - 01:39 AM, said:

Cool. I ll add it to my 2034 pile.

Yeah Kitsu I'm super happy I got the call when I did otherwise I'd have bought another fucking bk when I still have 20+ unread at home. I just happened to have be standing right fucking in front of those when I was reading QTs post. Fate

Very strange they didn't have Wurts or GGK. Figured they would. Guess I ll have to Amazon them.

LOL, sorry BK!

But yeah, start with the Revelations for sure.

#98 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 13 February 2017 - 03:53 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 09 February 2017 - 06:34 PM, said:

Spoiler

NECRO!!!!!!!!

Abyss... so this is neat all these years later to necro this thread. The new series Sullivan is currently releasing, which starts in AGE OF MYTH...actually answers your years-ago complaint from above in a very interesting way.

The history of the elves as we know it in The Revelations...it turns out is NOT the history of the Elves really at all and was fashioned by unreliable-narrator/historian humans after the fact. AGE OF MYTH is very much like Erikson's current series in that respect. Completely rewriting what we think we know about the world that the author created, and more specifically...the elves (in Erikson's case the Tiste) story.

Just a fun factoid about the new series. I was rereading the thread and came across your old spoilered comment, and thought...holy crap, Sullivan is dealing with this very thing in the new story.

Neat.
...tho is he expanding on the history or dealing with that particular plot point i was annoyed about?

Will be getting back to Sullivan eventually. He's not high up in the e/TRPFH just now, but definitely an author i want to read more of.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#99 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 13 February 2017 - 03:56 PM

You know what? Before I started my Riyria re-read, I would have said a late-game retcon....but in THE CROWN CONSPIRACY, Myron starts to talk about the elves as if he knows that the histories are incorrect, but Royce silences him with a look...so I wonder if Sullivan always planned that the history everyone knows would be wrong, and the elves had a wholly different one to tell. I'd be spoiling if I told you more from AGE OF MYTH tho, so I'l leave it at that.

#100 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 06 October 2017 - 02:20 PM

Sullivan is kickstarting the next Ryria book THE DISAPPEARANCE OF WINTER'S DAUGHTER. If you're into these books, head on over and see if you might take part.

https://www.kickstar...of-winters-daug

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users