• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

MINECRAFT Pixelated Crack

#501 User is offline   Tarcanus 

• Lord of the Tarcans
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:23 PM

View Postcerveza_fiesta, on 05 October 2010 - 06:28 PM, said:

It's happened a couple times to me now when I die I lose all my gear when I return.

I know it's supposed to disappear after a time, but I can run right back and still lose the works.

Is that a glitch or are there certain means of dying where you actually do lose all your gear?

EDIT

Also, got done the retarded stupidness week at work (last week) and might now finally be able to play with MP server hosting.

Yays

Sounds like you're just getting hosed when it comes to losing your gear when you die. The only times I haven't been able to recover my gear is when I died in or near lava and my gear was burned in it.

#502 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:36 PM

I've lost gear when I was surprised in my walled garden. I went straight there, and it was all gone, and I had a lot of stuff. Other times I've been caught in lava, and some of my stuff survived on ledges nearby.

So who knows.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#503 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:00 PM

View PostTarcanus, on 05 October 2010 - 05:56 PM, said:

Nice, Morgoth! I found clay on an exploration mission last night, too. Not nearly that much, but it was still nice to find some.

You know. different zones or whatever it is he'll call them (desert, snow, swamp, that sort of thing) will certainly encourage more travel. As of now I'm only looking for reeds.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#504 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 05 October 2010 - 11:47 PM

You need a stupid amount of reeds for a bookshelf. I ended up spending hours combing the coastlines of everywhere near me, because I figured out to put some bookshelves in my tower I needed roughly 250 reeds. Then when I was making my fireplace half of my bookshelves ended up burning. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#505 User is offline   Jade-Green Pig-Hog Swine-Beast 

• Knight Seneschal
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Fencing, ninpo, didjeridu, good books, good films and irn-bru.
  • Pre-dinner mayonnaise -- it's good for you!

Posted 05 October 2010 - 11:52 PM

View PostMTS, on 05 October 2010 - 11:47 PM, said:

You need a stupid amount of reeds for a bookshelf. I ended up spending hours combing the coastlines of everywhere near me, because I figured out to put some bookshelves in my tower I needed roughly 250 reeds. Then when I was making my fireplace half of my bookshelves ended up burning. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Grow your own next to some water and harvest them by leaving the bottom reed block in place so that they regrow; that way you only need to go out hunting for reeds once.
The love I bear thee can afford no better term than this: thou art a villain.

"Perhaps we think up our own destinies and so, in a sense, deserve whatever happens to us, for not having had the wit to imagine something better." Iain Banks

#506 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 06 October 2010 - 10:32 AM

View PostGreen Pig, on 05 October 2010 - 11:52 PM, said:

Grow your own next to some water and harvest them by leaving the bottom reed block in place so that they regrow; that way you only need to go out hunting for reeds once.

How do you grow your own? Do you have to collect the block they were growing out of? I've been out and collected some, and made a few bookshelves, but I could do with more. Also, what is the big deal with clay? I've only just got some, don't know what to do with it though!

Also - when you fill the workbench grid with steel ingots, you get a block with cogs all over it - but I can't see it in the minipedia. Anyone know what it is?

@ GreenPig.. did you make a fireplace that doesn't burn up after a few seconds?

Had a good trip out in my boat yesterday, collecting stuff and exploring. Was good to reach home, cruise up to my mountain, into the tunnel, and get swept along to the dock. Maybe I'll do a waterslide from the top next...

This post has been edited by Traveller: 06 October 2010 - 10:34 AM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#507 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 06 October 2010 - 11:36 AM

I think I'm going to start a new world.

I'm getting a little tired of mine and the stuff around my spawn point.

Maybe I'll revisit my old stomping grounds after the 'ween patch. It'll be awesome when all my torches burn out and I get to reclaim my bases from all the new monsters.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#508 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 06 October 2010 - 11:55 AM

fuck! I loaded and somehow the game had moved me from the little island I was camping in to the bottom of the ocean. My character drowned in the middle of god knows where with the hundreds of blocks of clay, reeds, yet another set of iron armour, diamond pick-ax and sword, the lot.

Gah, I'm seriously getting annoyed at this shit.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#509 User is offline   Tarcanus 

• Lord of the Tarcans

Posted 06 October 2010 - 12:57 PM

Last night I installed the Quandary October texture pack. It's pretty neat! I like it so much that I think I'll be changing my texture pack every month.

I then continued to explore my mega cave (it's literally the first cave I ever found but I keep finding more branches off of it) and wound up being killed by a small pack of zombies. So I quickly swam back to my mountain fastness, dove into my tunnels and back to the cave and managed to find my death site and reclaim my things. I then found another lava lake area prime for diamond mining so I began digging a 2x2 stairwell straight up. On my way up I found another cave which had a natural opening to the sky across the lake from my house. I shall call it Diamond Mine #2.

Traveller,

You grow your own reeds by planting the reeds you have directly beside water (you literally can't plant them if it's not directly adjacent to water) and after awhile the reed will grow 2 more blocks tall. Harvest the top two blocks of reed and then let it grow again, etc. etc.

This post has been edited by Tarcanus: 06 October 2010 - 01:23 PM

#510 User is offline   Jade-Green Pig-Hog Swine-Beast 

• Knight Seneschal

Posted 06 October 2010 - 01:55 PM

View PostTraveller, on 06 October 2010 - 10:32 AM, said:

View PostGreen Pig, on 05 October 2010 - 11:52 PM, said:

How do you grow your own? Do you have to collect the block they were growing out of? I've been out and collected some, and made a few bookshelves, but I could do with more. Also, what is the big deal with clay? I've only just got some, don't know what to do with it though!

Also - when you fill the workbench grid with steel ingots, you get a block with cogs all over it - but I can't see it in the minipedia. Anyone know what it is?

@ GreenPig.. did you make a fireplace that doesn't burn up after a few seconds?

Had a good trip out in my boat yesterday, collecting stuff and exploring. Was good to reach home, cruise up to my mountain, into the tunnel, and get swept along to the dock. Maybe I'll do a waterslide from the top next...

Right, so...first, reeds must be next to a block of water to grow SO:

• Go out and collect a few reeds - each plant with grows to three blocks in height so you might want to collect two or three plants worth.
  • Plant your reeds in your designated area, next to some water blocks and watch them grow! (Or don't bother and come back later.)
  • When harvesting your plants, only remove the top two blocks, leaving the bottom block in place, therefore you can leave the bottom block to regrow and you can come back again and harvest more later.

I haven't a clue what that steel thing is...I might go and try it out for myself.

Regarding a fireplace, I've found that if you have your block of wood surrounded (all eight blocks, so that your 'fire' is essentially the middle block of a square) by a material that doesn't burn, like stone, then you light the top surface of the wood only, your fire should remain alight.

"Perhaps we think up our own destinies and so, in a sense, deserve whatever happens to us, for not having had the wit to imagine something better." Iain Banks

#511 User is offline   Tarcanus 

• Lord of the Tarcans

Posted 06 October 2010 - 02:01 PM

Some additions to what Green pig said:

- Anytime you put 9 ingots(iron or gold) onto the crafting bench, you get a block of that ore. It's just a plain ore block - nothing special. The block with the gears on it is just a texture for a solid block of iron. A full gold block looks like golden wooden planks (depending on the texture pack you're using) That is, unless it's been updated with a use since the last time I looked.

- I believe that wooden blocks must burn on all 6 sides before it will be consumed, so only lighting one side will let it burn forever.

#512 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 06 October 2010 - 02:12 PM

just make a lava fireplace.

Then you can incinerate useless stuff from your inventory like dirt and gravel.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#513 User is offline   Jade-Green Pig-Hog Swine-Beast 

• Knight Seneschal

Posted 06 October 2010 - 02:29 PM

View PostTarcanus, on 06 October 2010 - 02:01 PM, said:

- I believe that wooden blocks must burn on all 6 sides before it will be consumed, so only lighting one side will let it burn forever.

Well I thought that too, but often, I've lit a block of wood on the top surface only and it still burns up.

#514 User is offline   Tarcanus 

• Lord of the Tarcans

Posted 06 October 2010 - 02:35 PM

View PostGreen Pig, on 06 October 2010 - 02:29 PM, said:

Well I thought that too, but often, I've lit a block of wood on the top surface only and it still burns up.

That's strange. I wonder if it talks about fireplaces on the wiki?

#515 User is offline   Jade-Green Pig-Hog Swine-Beast 

• Knight Seneschal

Posted 06 October 2010 - 02:44 PM

In Alpha, a flammable block, like wood, will burn continuously when its sides (the bottom is not neccesary) are surrounded by non-flammable blocks, like stone or dirt. A fire will only stay burning at the top of a flammable block, not on the sides or the bottom. Once the fire is burning, you may remove all the adjacent blocks, and the fire will keep burning.

It is also possible to make larger blocks of endless fire, by putting flammable blocks diagonally adjacent to block that is burning continuously. Since the already-burning block counts as non-flammable - it is already on fire - the adjacent block will also burn continuously. By igniting multiple blocks this way, you can make a grid of diagonally adjacent burning blocks, which you can then fill with more flammable blocks to complete the surface. However, this method is subject to chance, so it may take a few tries.

#516 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 06 October 2010 - 02:59 PM

View Postcerveza_fiesta, on 06 October 2010 - 11:36 AM, said:

It'll be awesome when all my torches burn out and I get to reclaim my bases from all the new monsters.

All old torches will be turned into permanent lamps when the patch goes through, so that wont be an issue. There's a lot of speculation currently if the patch will only affect torches you already places or whether it might also change the torches in your inventory/chest. Just for the hell of it I've filled two big chests with torches just to see if I'll get a lot of permanent lamps out of it.

View PostMorgoth, on 06 October 2010 - 11:55 AM, said:

fuck! I loaded and somehow the game had moved me from the little island I was camping in to the bottom of the ocean. My character drowned in the middle of god knows where with the hundreds of blocks of clay, reeds, yet another set of iron armour, diamond pick-ax and sword, the lot.

Gah, I'm seriously getting annoyed at this shit.

Were you standing on something weird when you logged out? There's a some kind of bug/feature that moves you if you log out while standing on something like a half stone. This can actually move your spawn point.

View PostGreen Pig, on 06 October 2010 - 02:29 PM, said:

The infinitely burning log is actually a bug. It is not supposed to do that but Notch has not done anything about it yet, since it still serves a purpose. Some times it will burn out, some times it will just burn for ever.

#517 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !

Posted 06 October 2010 - 03:06 PM

I didn't realize you got permanent lamps out of existing torches.

I thought they might do that, but didn't know if it was official or not.

If you want a bunch of lamps through exploit though, just run around outside and hang a torch on every available square. Then clean em up post-patch and you get endless lanterns....more or less.

Was there word on how long torch would burn? A day?
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#518 User is offline   Tarcanus 

• Lord of the Tarcans

Posted 06 October 2010 - 03:28 PM

I'm more worried about what it will take to craft a lantern. They're metal aren't they? If it takes iron, I had better work harder at finding larger iron ore deposits as that's really going to sap my resources, making dozens of lanterns every time I go spelunking.

#519 User is offline   Jade-Green Pig-Hog Swine-Beast 

• Knight Seneschal

Posted 06 October 2010 - 05:10 PM

At last, here it is! In my mind it's some kind of temple but to what, I haven't the faintest.

Images start from the entrance building, moving on in and up, to what you can see from the outside:

Attached File  Entrance.jpg (206.34K)
Number of downloads: 0

Attached File  Entrance2.jpg (135.86K)

Attached File  Entrance3.jpg (109.59K)

Attached File  Entrance4.jpg (113.4K)

Attached File  Entrance5.jpg (143.55K)

Attached File  Entrance6.jpg (129.97K)
(The workbench, chest and furnace will be moved soon.)

Attached File  Entrance7.jpg (126.88K)

Attached File  Entrance8.jpg (82.49K)

Attached File  Entrance9.jpg (258.53K)

Attached File  Entrance10.jpg (268.91K)

I'd love suggestions on how I could improve it - anything from major changes because something looks shit the way it is to making cool patterns using different types of block to other things to add in, to improve the feel of the place. I feel that the glassed area is a little bare and uninteresting, though as I say, I don't know what to do to improve it.

Also, any suggestions on what to do next? I was thinking of digging down another level and expanding my 'temple' even deeper, though what would I use said lower floor for?

Thanks!

EDIT: I might put a steel door on the entrance pyramid. That wouldn't ruin it, would it?

This post has been edited by Green Pig: 06 October 2010 - 05:37 PM

#520 User is offline   Tarcanus 

• Lord of the Tarcans

Posted 06 October 2010 - 05:31 PM

I suggest building a minecart tour system through your temple to make it easier on guests.

Share this topic:

• 215 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

56 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 56 guests, 0 anonymous users