• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

MINECRAFT Pixelated Crack

#141 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 20 September 2010 - 09:34 PM

One square is roughly equal to one meter. Karsa is around 3 meters tall. Creepers explosions do damage between 3-5 meters I think.

Legolas is who you really want on your team in this game. Him or Wolverine.

#142 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 September 2010 - 09:39 PM

Hmmm... he COULD just shrug off the damage though, no? It's goddamn Karsa Orlong and he won't have any of the Creepers' shit!
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#143 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 21 September 2010 - 06:06 AM

Actually the creepers only explode if they get within one square of you. So his reach would easily kill them before they could detonate.

#144 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 21 September 2010 - 07:55 AM

so, does anyone have the no-sound fix for mac and feel like sharing? The downloads page is down it seems and the game loses some of its pazazz without sound.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#145 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 21 September 2010 - 07:56 AM

View PostTarcanus, on 20 September 2010 - 07:20 PM, said:

It's a highly rewarding game to play, though. You can constantly look over what you've built and feel a wonderful sense of satisfaction. But be warned, it will suck your free time. This past weekend I spent 13 hours playing in two sessions. 9 hours Saturday and 4 hours Sunday. And I don't care one bit because my mountain fastness now has a pit surrounding it and torches in aesthetically pleasing locations all over the mountain I've hollowed out so there is no longer a risk of monsters behind my lines. I have also built skybridges to my floating island as well as started further skybridges to link back to mountains closer to my spawn point (still haven't secured that, yet)

This is what i've been doing! My mountaintop base is getting taller, while inside it's getting deeper. I diverted the lava flow outside into a sort of moat, with a couple of easy access points that I can remove if I'm being followed. Haven't done anything with my spawn point yet, but I might dig a tunnel right through the landscape, under my mountain, and link up with my base... could line it with torches, make a few exit points along the way... this game is awesome! If you want it you can build it.

I downloaded the different skin pack - and the first thing i noticed was that my workbench and paintings on the wall now look like pixellated shit, whereas before they were nicely blurred and indistinct impressions. The crafting screen looks worse too, although the rest looks better I guess. (Is there more than one skin, and once upgraded is it possible to undo it if you don't like it?)

Amazing that it's taken so long for someone to actually do something about the graphics over gameplay problem. I was playing Limbo the other day, small downloadable arcade game from Xbox. Very reminicent of games like Flashback and Another World, if you remember them.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#146 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 21 September 2010 - 10:34 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 21 September 2010 - 07:55 AM, said:

so, does anyone have the no-sound fix for mac and feel like sharing? The downloads page is down it seems and the game loses some of its pazazz without sound.

Take a look at this thread, there is also a couple of other threads about sound issues. Have a look around.

http://www.minecraft...hp?f=17&t=38111

EDIT: Actually I think this may be exactly what you were looking for:

http://www.reddit.co...usic_here_they/

View PostTraveller, on 21 September 2010 - 07:56 AM, said:

I downloaded the different skin pack - and the first thing i noticed was that my workbench and paintings on the wall now look like pixellated shit, whereas before they were nicely blurred and indistinct impressions. The crafting screen looks worse too, although the rest looks better I guess. (Is there more than one skin, and once upgraded is it possible to undo it if you don't like it?)

Are you using the Painterly Pack? If you are there is a special page on their homepage where you can customize which choices you want to switch with the old textures.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 21 September 2010 - 12:07 PM

#147 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 21 September 2010 - 11:01 AM

When I eventually begin my strip mining project, I am going to employ these. So much easier than just swimming up the stream.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 21 September 2010 - 11:02 AM

#148 User is offline   Kanubis 

• Captain of Team Quick Ben
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 21 September 2010 - 12:20 PM

If I buy this I will be ruined.

..have any of you washed or eaten anything besides a pot noodle since this thread started? Anyone resorted to peeing in a bottle yet?
Captain of Team Quick Ben. Also teaboy.

#149 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 21 September 2010 - 12:26 PM

View PostKanubis, on 21 September 2010 - 12:20 PM, said:

..have any of you washed or eaten anything besides a pot noodle since this thread started? Anyone resorted to peeing in a bottle yet?

i'm working 10 hr shifts this week, but I'm managing to get a couple of hours in the evening if I stay up long enough! if i didn't have unavoidable stuff to do i'd be in trouble.

Half the fun of this is thinking of new stuff to do while your not actually playing it.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#150 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 21 September 2010 - 12:34 PM

View PostTraveller, on 21 September 2010 - 12:26 PM, said:

Half the fun of this is thinking of new stuff to do while your not actually playing it.

Ackh I know. Today we had a 3 hour lecture about code names for database entries in the royal library. Only thing going through my head was how to get the dimensions of my new Sub Pen right.

#151 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 21 September 2010 - 12:47 PM

View PostAptorian, on 21 September 2010 - 12:34 PM, said:

View PostTraveller, on 21 September 2010 - 12:26 PM, said:

Ackh I know. Today we had a 3 hour lecture about code names for database entries in the royal library. Only thing going through my head was how to get the dimensions of my new Sub Pen right.

It also doesn't help when the room you're working in has a grey speckled floor, divided up into big squares about a metre across...

This post has been edited by Traveller: 21 September 2010 - 12:49 PM

#152 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 21 September 2010 - 01:06 PM

When I eventually get this game (tonight if the servers are up) the first thing I'm building is a wind tunnel. Through a mountain.

I wish to god that windmill was actually craftable, then I could put in there and have it look real.

You know, one thing they could do to really enhance the look of structures without adding huge amounts of graphics complexity would be diagonals. Nothing crazy, just 45deg angle blocks so you could build smooth roofs, ramps, Realistic looking truss structures, etc...

Of course physics of the game would have to be modified slightly so that you would slide down em if you land on top of one. I know it would ruin the glorious squareness of the game, but I think it would be neat. They come close by allowing 1/2 blocks i guess.

Maybe keep the rando world as blocks, but allow angular blocks through crafting only. Then your structures would really stand apart from the surroundings.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#153 User is offline   Tarcanus 

• Lord of the Tarcans
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 21 September 2010 - 01:12 PM

haha, I'll agree with those sentiments as well. At work, it's difficult to concentrate on work when I'm deciding where I want to dig a stairwell down to my lake for a dock.

I had a magma mishap last night, my friends! It was terrible! I died in a fiery pit and lost: Full set of steel armor, diamond pickax, 10 buckets filled with magma (for my obsidian gate building project), and all of the iron ore I had mined prior to the incident. What made it worse was that when I came back to the scene of the accident, none of my stuff was there. It must've all been consumed by the fire. Worst moment of the game, so far :). I then found a motherload of iron ore and another couple of diamond ore, so I'm back to where I was before the incident, but boy was it disheartening. 'Ware the magma, gents!

#154 User is offline   Jade-Green Pig-Hog Swine-Beast 

• Knight Seneschal
  • Interests:Fencing, ninpo, didjeridu, good books, good films and irn-bru.
  • Pre-dinner mayonnaise -- it's good for you!

Posted 21 September 2010 - 01:12 PM

Aye, I agree! Currently, I use stairs for that sort of thing, but they don't always do the trick...
The love I bear thee can afford no better term than this: thou art a villain.

"Perhaps we think up our own destinies and so, in a sense, deserve whatever happens to us, for not having had the wit to imagine something better." Iain Banks

#155 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 21 September 2010 - 01:43 PM

What I'd really like is paint or dye. Maybe something you could craft from water and flowers...and the blood of your enemies... that you could use to change the color of the blocks. Hell I wouldn't mind if you could only paint the smooth stone and refined wood blocks.

It would allow you to create more artistic stuff and you could do some more interesting designs, both as decor but also in structures. For example I'm planning on building a huge Sub Marine, and I want it to be black, but I can only get that effect by using Obsidian. And I REALLY do not feel like building a 500 block submarine out of Obsidian and then finding out I need it to be just a bit smaller.

#156 User is offline   Jade-Green Pig-Hog Swine-Beast 

• Knight Seneschal
  • Interests:Fencing, ninpo, didjeridu, good books, good films and irn-bru.
  • Pre-dinner mayonnaise -- it's good for you!

Posted 21 September 2010 - 01:50 PM

Indeed, I'd have built my tower out of obsidian if I could but...well..I can't, so a black paint would be awesome.

Does Notch have some kind of email address for suggestions like these? Maybe somebody just needs to tell him!
The love I bear thee can afford no better term than this: thou art a villain.

"Perhaps we think up our own destinies and so, in a sense, deserve whatever happens to us, for not having had the wit to imagine something better." Iain Banks

#157 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 21 September 2010 - 02:04 PM

Just did a search on r/minecraft to see if it had been discussed. It appears that dye used for coloring at least the cotton blocks is on his to do list but it's low priority. You can also see all kinds of other interesting things on there. Seasons are pre-beta which sounds awesome.

http://www.toodledo....td4b49fbf9c05a0

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 21 September 2010 - 02:05 PM

#158 User is offline   cerveza_fiesta 

• Outdoor Tractivities !
  • Interests:beer, party.

Posted 21 September 2010 - 02:10 PM

I think he gets plenty from the fora and random emails already. There's something close to a million subscribers right now, so they have to prioritize.

On the official minecraft site he has a to-do list that shows his current priorities. Unfortunately, they are a lot higher than "paint" and "diagonals" at the moment. He's hacking away at security, multiplayer and adding seasons last I checked. It will all come in time. By the time they hit beta, he'll probably have a small staff and be able to really ad some flash to the game.

But you guys are right. Some relatively basic things like paint (which is really just an in-game texture-swap) would make the game infinitely more enjoyable on the building end without sacrificing the lovely simplicity of it.

I would have a giant painted sign on my fort telling all zombies, skeletons and creepers to fuck off.

Nice to know this project started as - and will probably continue to be - a labour of love by the programming staff, which means the core game will only get better as time goes on. Plus when they get a stable vanilla minecraft release, there will probably be functionality to open the game up to the greater modding community. Then things will really get interesting.

I was thinking while trying to sleep last night, it would really be nice if the final release came in the form of something like WoW where there is a persistent server world so that anybody with access (like malazites) can join and build/fight stuff whenever they want one member needing to have a dedicated computer running 100% of the time for the others' benefit.
........oOOOOOo
......//| | |oO
.....|| | | | O....
BEERS!

\\| | | |

........'-----'

#159 User is offline   HiddenOne 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 21 September 2010 - 02:37 PM

View PostKanubis, on 21 September 2010 - 12:20 PM, said:

A bottle? A BOTTLE!! I knew something was wrong. And to think of the trouble I had with the cool hot water heater design...
HiddenOne. You son of a bitch. You slimy, skulking, low-posting scumbag. You knew it would come to this. Roundabout, maybe. Tortuous, certainly. But here we are, you and me again. I started the train on you so many many hours ago, and now I'm going to finish it. Die HO. Die. This is for last time, and this is for this game too. This is for all the people who died to your backstabbing, treacherous, "I sure don't know what's going on around here" filthy lying, deceitful ways. You son of a bitch. Whatever happens, this is justice. For me, this is justice. Vote HiddenOne Finally, I am at peace.

#160 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 21 September 2010 - 02:53 PM

I now have an image of you peeing in a bowl, soaking your noodles in it and wolfing it down... I need some mind bleach.

Share this topic:

• 215 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users