Malazan Empire: When re-reads make you feel dumb - Malazan Empire

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

When re-reads make you feel dumb Those 'Yeah, shoulda noticed that...' moments... Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is online   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 22 August 2010 - 12:45 AM

View PostWhiskeyJackDaniels, on 22 August 2010 - 12:03 AM, said:

Do they? I think that despite the fact that the 3 Elder Gods doubtless were more powerful than Kallor, I think the strength of all the curses are the same. And since all three have managed to be cursed, and are now defying those curses, it is possible that Kallor is no longer bound by their curses. I'm not saying its absolute knowledge, just a potential effect that I would not be surprised by.

They didn't defy their curses. Draconus was imprisoned by that which he made, Nightchill was betrayed and torn apart by inhuman hands on the battlefield and K'rul was forgotten and sank into obscurity.

But that wasn't death for them - not entirely. They came back because of machinations they put into place to accept and then move on past the completion of the curse - or in K'rul's case a lucky bleeder.

Kallor's curse was to live forever and never ascend. How do you get around that?
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#42 User is offline   Seras 

• Wicked Sick
  • View gallery
  • Interests:MBotF, Anime, Hockey, Strawberry Icecream, Parkour, Piano, Gaming, Music

Posted 22 August 2010 - 03:20 AM

Toc the Younger is related to Crust...found that out during the convo between Toc & Envy, talking about Toc Elder working on a ship and getting it on with Crust's sister, +50 awesome points for him.

I had no clue the Keeper was Urko until Apsalar paid him a visit, re-read the bit with Karsa and Torvald washing up on the shore and paying him a visit...damn, can't believe I missed that.

Quick Ben might be soletaken! It all clicked in Reaper's Gale when Hedge asked QB when that nasty beasty was going to come out, but it turns out there were hints all along, like him having a spicy scent around him, which was mentioned in GotM (started re-reading that yesterday). Should've known, especially after DG...
Lives and loves, the gamut of existence was marked by such things. A breaking of paths, the ragged, uneven ever-forward stumble. Blood dried, eventually. Turned to dust. The corpses of kings were laid down and sealed in darkness and set away, to be forgotten. Graves were dug for fallen soldiers, vast pits like mouths in the earth, opened in hunger, and all the bodies were tumbled down, each exhaling a last gasp of lime dust. Survivors grieved, for a time, and looked upon empty rooms and empty beds, the scattering of possessions no-one possessed any longer, and wondered what was to come, what would be written anew on the wiped-clean slate. Wondering, how can I go on?

#43 User is offline   Sindriss 

• Walker of Edges

Posted 22 August 2010 - 05:07 AM

View Postworrywort, on 21 August 2010 - 09:19 PM, said:

View Postchampooon, on 21 August 2010 - 08:22 PM, said:

jst rereading HoC and come across this lil tidbit... which amused us... knowing SE never writes anything for nothing... Torvald Nom talking with Karsa

"...The gods not only look down on Darujhistan with a protective eye, they probably drink in its taverns"

instantly thought of Kruppe! who knows!

Well, there's Fisher, and some foreshadowing of Lady Envy (or Spite?) finding him. Kruppe's awesome and all, but he's mortal and I don't think anyone worships him.

I always thought it refered to K'rul who is often in the company of Krubbe in various places e.g. the bb old pub

I would like to know if Steve have ever tasted anything like the quorl white milk, that knocked the bb's out.

A: Nope, but I gots me a good imagination.

#44 User is offline   Furion 

• Sergeant

Posted 22 August 2010 - 05:47 AM

View PostErayle, on 22 August 2010 - 03:20 AM, said:

Toc the Younger is related to Crust...found that out during the convo between Toc & Envy, talking about Toc Elder working on a ship and getting it on with Crust's sister, +50 awesome points for him.

I had no clue the Keeper was Urko until Apsalar paid him a visit, re-read the bit with Karsa and Torvald washing up on the shore and paying him a visit...damn, can't believe I missed that.

Quick Ben might be soletaken! It all clicked in Reaper's Gale when Hedge asked QB when that nasty beasty was going to come out, but it turns out there were hints all along, like him having a spicy scent around him, which was mentioned in GotM (started re-reading that yesterday). Should've known, especially after DG...

What beast do you think he would become? Maybe he's d'ivers?

Or maybe he is some sort of reverse human d'ivers, judging by his being a sum of multiple souls?

If I had to choose a beast, I'd have to go with a pack of wolves, or a swarm of locusts.
Till shade is gone, till water is gone, into the Shadow with teeth bared, screaming defiance with the last breath,
to spit in Sightblinders eye on the last day.
May you shelter in the palm of the Creator"s hand, and may the last embrace of the Mother welcome you home.

#45 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 22 August 2010 - 07:25 AM

Just a thought, but it makes more sense that QB did not go with Kalam and Fiddler on the 7 Cities mission, as it means QB didn't get sucked into the whole Path of Hands debacle. I doubt there's any textual mention of it, and it may not have been prominent in SE's mind (but who knows), but it was Iskaral Pust, minion of Shadowthrone, who tricked all the soletaken and d'ivers into that trap.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#46 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor

Posted 22 August 2010 - 07:32 AM

View Postamphibian, on 22 August 2010 - 12:45 AM, said:

Do they? I think that despite the fact that the 3 Elder Gods doubtless were more powerful than Kallor, I think the strength of all the curses are the same. And since all three have managed to be cursed, and are now defying those curses, it is possible that Kallor is no longer bound by their curses. I'm not saying its absolute knowledge, just a potential effect that I would not be surprised by.

They didn't defy their curses. Draconus was imprisoned by that which he made, Nightchill was betrayed and torn apart by inhuman hands on the battlefield and K'rul was forgotten and sank into obscurity.

But that wasn't death for them - not entirely. They came back because of machinations they put into place to accept and then move on past the completion of the curse - or in K'rul's case a lucky bleeder.

Kallor's curse was to live forever and never ascend. How do you get around that?

I'll grant you that SoCN's curse seems fulfilled, and she was only able to return because being torn apart doesn't necessarily kill an EG. But K'rul's was to be forgotten and sink into obscurity. Kallor doesn't add 'for awhile' on the end of that. So what is the difference between that and Kallor's curse of 'you will never ascend'...for awhile?

Again, I'm not saying this is definite, it's just a theory (though I think a plausible one). There isn't really any textual evidence you can use in this circumstance, because the only example of cursing we see in the books is with Kallor. That's why I'm not sure how you can be so confident that you are incontrovertibly right.
So, you're the historian who survived the Chain of Dogs.
Actually, I didn't.

It seems you stand alone.
It was ever thus.

#47 User is online   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 22 August 2010 - 07:35 PM

View PostWhiskeyJackDaniels, on 22 August 2010 - 07:32 AM, said:

I'll grant you that SoCN's curse seems fulfilled, and she was only able to return because being torn apart doesn't necessarily kill an EG. But K'rul's was to be forgotten and sink into obscurity. Kallor doesn't add 'for awhile' on the end of that. So what is the difference between that and Kallor's curse of 'you will never ascend'...for awhile?

Again, I'm not saying this is definite, it's just a theory (though I think a plausible one). There isn't really any textual evidence you can use in this circumstance, because the only example of cursing we see in the books is with Kallor. That's why I'm not sure how you can be so confident that you are incontrovertibly right.

I'm not sure I am incontrovertibly right. To be so about as yet unpublished books that Steven Erikson writes would be foolhardy. The man surprises.

However, the language of Kallor's curse did not impose eternity upon K'rul's sojourn into obscurity. It said that he would be forgotten and obscure - without saying that it was a permanent condition. The Elder Gods' curse did say "never ascend" - which implies a permanent condition.

It may be possible that the Elder Gods release their curse upon Kallor, as a gesture of forgiveness. But Kallor's working for the Crippled God now - and killed Whiskeyjack. He's probably not getting anything from anyone besides The Redeemer at this point.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#48 User is offline   Excellence 

• High Fist

Posted 23 August 2010 - 11:32 AM

Reread Bonehunters after Dust of Dreams...

I'm realising a lot of setup in book 6 for book 9. Oh he's a sneaky so and so.

Iskar Jarak and the Annibar.
Ruthan Gudd was also acting "mysteriously"

This post has been edited by Excellence: 23 August 2010 - 11:39 AM

If there were no smart people others wouldn't feel inadequate.

Right?

#49 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 24 August 2010 - 06:09 PM

View Postamphibian, on 21 August 2010 - 10:47 PM, said:

View PostWhiskeyJackDaniels, on 21 August 2010 - 10:08 PM, said:

Actually this makes me think of Kallor at the end of TtH lol. With the return of Draconus maybe his curse is finally ended and he can finally ascend.

Because the curses of Kallor have come to pass does not denote that the combined curse of Nightchill, Draconus and K'rul has lifted from Kallor. The three still exist, albeit much changed from the time the curse was given.

The point is that all the curses happened as cursed, but all the targets have since found ways around the end results. krul faded, but he got better. Drac was imprisoned, but he got sprung. SisCo was in fact ripped to shreds but lives on inside Silverfox and Kallor has never ascended but he's gained power other ways.

View Postamphibian, on 22 August 2010 - 12:45 AM, said:

He doesn't, but since you need not be an ascendent to have power, he's still a player.

we've never seen a ref to Toc TY having Napan blood (blue skin), so it's possible, but not necessarily the case.

As for QB, there was also the hint in MoI when the Tennes Witch calls him a 'desert snake', leading to speculation his form is a snake. Or maybe a beige dragon, who knows...? :thumbup:

View PostSindriss, on 22 August 2010 - 05:07 AM, said:

View Postworrywort, on 21 August 2010 - 09:19 PM, said:

View Postchampooon, on 21 August 2010 - 08:22 PM, said:

jst rereading HoC and come across this lil tidbit... which amused us... knowing SE never writes anything for nothing... Torvald Nom talking with Karsa

"...The gods not only look down on Darujhistan with a protective eye, they probably drink in its taverns"

instantly thought of Kruppe! who knows!

Well, there's Fisher, and some foreshadowing of Lady Envy (or Spite?) finding him. Kruppe's awesome and all, but he's mortal and I don't think anyone worships him.

I always thought it refered to K'rul who is often in the company of Krubbe in various places e.g. the bb old pub

Agreed. TtH prologue, Krul is hanging out, having a drink with Fisher and Kruppe, iirc.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#50 User is offline   End of Disc One 

• House Knight

Posted 24 August 2010 - 06:20 PM

SisCo was in fact ripped to shreds but lives on inside Silverfox

Silverfox let him see that thong

#51 User is offline   Hellian's Keg Lid 

• Shiksa Goddess

Posted 24 August 2010 - 09:26 PM

I thought it was a given that Toc Younger was related to Crust after Toc starts telling that story about how Crust's sister got knocked up and Toc Elder waited days before stepping up because Crust was so.... Crusty. >.>

Edit: My quote fu is weak, but I remember the scene because it made me snort. Toc is eiitherrr talking to Envy or someone of that ilk on his journeys about his origins to break up some heavy talk.

This post has been edited by Hellian's Keg Lid: 24 August 2010 - 09:27 PM

Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.

#52 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 24 August 2010 - 09:40 PM

View PostAbyss, on 24 August 2010 - 06:09 PM, said:

we've never seen a ref to Toc TY having Napan blood (blue skin), so it's possible, but not necessarily the case.

View PostHellian, on 24 August 2010 - 09:26 PM, said:

I thought it was a given that Toc Younger was related to Crust after Toc starts telling that story about how Crust's sister got knocked up and Toc Elder waited days before stepping up because Crust was so.... Crusty. >.>

Edit: My quote fu is weak, but I remember the scene because it made me snort. Toc is eiitherrr talking to Envy or someone of that ilk on his journeys about his origins to break up some heavy talk.

I read it not long ago, know where it is...

"Come along, Envy. I'll bore you with a detailed recounting of my youth - it'll pass the time. I was born on a ship, you know, and it was more than a few days before Toc the Elder stepped forward to acknowledge his fatherhood - my mother was Captain Cartheron Crust's sister, you see, and Crust had a temper..."

This post has been edited by champooon: 24 August 2010 - 09:49 PM

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#53 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 24 August 2010 - 09:56 PM

When QB reveals his identity to Shadowthrone in GotM, ST calls him a "shape-shifting bastard!" Doesn't necessarily mean he's Soletaken, but that line alone makes for some interesting discussion.
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#54 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:39 PM

Just like real life, blue skin is probably a recessive gene.

#55 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 25 August 2010 - 02:05 PM

View Postchampooon, on 24 August 2010 - 09:40 PM, said:

I read it not long ago, know where it is...

"Come along, Envy. I'll bore you with a detailed recounting of my youth - it'll pass the time. I was born on a ship, you know, and it was more than a few days before Toc the Elder stepped forward to acknowledge his fatherhood - my mother was Captain Cartheron Crust's sister, you see, and Crust had a temper..."

That nails it. Quote fu rep'd accordingly.

Unless of course ToctE was lying.... :thumbup:

- Abyss, denies paternity in all cases.

#56 User is offline   Excellence 

• High Fist

Posted 28 August 2010 - 11:19 AM

Toc wouldn't lie. How dare you insinuate. He's one of the series coolest characters.
If there were no smart people others wouldn't feel inadequate.

Right?

#57 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 30 August 2010 - 04:45 PM

again, something that hasn't really crossed my mind whilst reading it before...

HoC - the chained and possessed Theloman Toblakai in the well where the Ashok regiment are hiding, that Kalam then stabs releasing the demon possessing it, it switches bodies with an enkar'al and the enkar'al's soul goes into the Theloman Toblakai

Rage and terror. Unanswered, except by the promise of eternity.
Or so it would have remained.
Had the Beast Thrones stayed unoccupied.
Had not the reawakened wolf gods known an urgent need... for a champion.
Besides, this champion would taste blood... and soon

Another bad ass soon to be unveiled again?

Super duper speculation 1% chance of been true

How sweet would it be if it turned out to be Ublala Pung since he has the brains of an enkar'al and he does inherit armour from 7C Toblakai

"The ghost says there's a name for that armour," said Harlest, "even as the mace is named. First Heroes were wont to such affectations. This particular one, a Thelomen, haled from a region bordering the First Empire – in a land very distant – the same land the first Letherii came from, in fact. A belligerent bastard – his name is forgotten and best left that way. Take that armour, and the mace."

or at least the armour he get's could of at least come from this chained dude...

This post has been edited by champooon: 30 August 2010 - 04:51 PM

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#58 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 30 August 2010 - 07:28 PM

That would be pretty sweet.

#59 User is offline   BridgeBurner 

• High Fist

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:19 PM

View PostAbyss, on 24 August 2010 - 06:09 PM, said:

As for QB, there was also the hint in MoI when the Tennes Witch calls him a 'desert snake', leading to speculation his form is a snake. Or maybe a beige dragon, who knows...? :p

And another hint in TBH suggesting the same. :p

#60 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:37 PM

View Postchampooon, on 30 August 2010 - 04:45 PM, said:

again, something that hasn't really crossed my mind whilst reading it before...

HoC - the chained and possessed Theloman Toblakai ...

How sweet would it be if it turned out to be Ublala Pung since he has the brains of an enkar'al and he does inherit armour from 7C Toblakai...

Nah, the timeline.... umm... i mean, the relative heights... uhh... that is... it was a different conti... err... SE said... nope... crap.
Okay it's a totally valid crazy theory. :p

- Abyss, knows when he's beaten.

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users