Malazan Empire: When re-reads make you feel dumb - Malazan Empire

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

When re-reads make you feel dumb Those 'Yeah, shoulda noticed that...' moments... Rate Topic: -----

#61 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:57 PM

View PostAbyss, on 30 August 2010 - 08:37 PM, said:

View Postchampooon, on 30 August 2010 - 04:45 PM, said:

again, something that hasn't really crossed my mind whilst reading it before...

HoC - the chained and possessed Theloman Toblakai ...

How sweet would it be if it turned out to be Ublala Pung since he has the brains of an enkar'al and he does inherit armour from 7C Toblakai...

Nah, the timeline.... umm... i mean, the relative heights... uhh... that is... it was a different conti... err... SE said... nope... crap.
Okay it's a totally valid crazy theory. :p

- Abyss, knows when he's beaten.

Hehe yeh threw that in for abit of fun =D

I'd just remembered whilst reading that passage. From MoI when the Grey Swords meet the Barghast and they appoint the Shield Anvil and Destraint for the Wolves and say the Mortal Sword has been found in a distant land, never realised was referring to this bad boy... or i think it does..!

This post has been edited by champooon: 30 August 2010 - 09:31 PM

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#62 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 30 August 2010 - 09:52 PM

I'm pretty sure that they're referring to Toc, since they later call Toc in Anaster's body the Mortal Sword.

Nothing says that he could be the only Mortal Sword for the Wolves in a different land, however...
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#63 User is offline   random marine doomed to die 

• Corporal
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:well .. reading

Disk Golf also
  • CHARGERS

Posted 01 September 2010 - 12:05 AM

Early in The Bonehunters (first scene with Fids squad?) Koryk is trying to relight the fire from last night. Bottle says something like 'the bastard is going to Y'Ghatan'. Koryk inhales a lungful of ash. (Sorry no book in front of me at the moment.)
Not huge series spanning, but left me with a WOW feeling. Maybe because I didn't catch it until the third read.

#64 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 01 September 2010 - 02:00 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 30 August 2010 - 09:52 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure that they're referring to Toc, since they later call Toc in Anaster's body the Mortal Sword.

Nothing says that he could be the only Mortal Sword for the Wolves in a different land, however...

I took it that Toc was the Mortal Sword of Togg/Fanderlay (and Krughava was the Mortal Sword of Fanderlay/Togg) while the Enakarlakai is the Champion of the House of War. There's nothing stopping the Gods from investing as many champions/Mortal swords/soldiers/whatever as they want provided they are prepared to live with the vulnerability each represents.

Got another one, mid RCG re-read...

Just after the battle in Unta, Kiska returns to Tays while he's in his garden. He's looking at a plant and describes it as a rare 7C species that stinks of rot and death, luring in prey that think they can eat it, and eating them in turn. I'm pretty sure i missed it on the first read but Tays is totally drawing an analogy to Laseen drawing in the Talians, the Guard and Mallick and then turning the tables. Almost.

As an aside, i absolutely love the end of that exchange, where Kiska notes that she saw Laseen take out two Avowed with her bare hands and considers that everyone has forgotten that back in the day, while Dancer was protecting Kellanved, it was Surly who hunted down ascendents for the Empire.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#65 User is offline   Quick Bill 

• Corporal
  • Interests:Philosophy, Growing Food, Cooking Food, Eating Food, Anything with Food, Partying, Camping, Fishing, Hiking, Wandering the Streets, Writing, Reading (Fantasy and otherwise).
  • I am obsessed with the MBoTF. How about you?

Posted 02 September 2010 - 01:55 PM

View PostAbyss, on 01 September 2010 - 02:00 PM, said:

View PostIlluyankas, on 30 August 2010 - 09:52 PM, said:

I took it that Toc was the Mortal Sword of Togg/Fanderlay (and Krughava was the Mortal Sword of Fanderlay/Togg) while the Enakarlakai is the Champion of the House of War. There's nothing stopping the Gods from investing as many champions/Mortal swords/soldiers/whatever as they want provided they are prepared to live with the vulnerability each represents.

Got another one, mid RCG re-read...

Just after the battle in Unta, Kiska returns to Tays while he's in his garden. He's looking at a plant and describes it as a rare 7C species that stinks of rot and death, luring in prey that think they can eat it, and eating them in turn. I'm pretty sure i missed it on the first read but Tays is totally drawing an analogy to Laseen drawing in the Talians, the Guard and Mallick and then turning the tables. Almost.

As an aside, i absolutely love the end of that exchange, where Kiska notes that she saw Laseen take out two Avowed with her bare hands and considers that everyone has forgotten that back in the day, while Dancer was protecting Kellanved, it was Surly who hunted down ascendents for the Empire.

I'd really like to know how many and which ascendants she killed back then. Do we know if she is a mage? I don't recall.
"To have dismantled love in order to become capable of loving. To have dismantled one's self in order finally to be alone and meet the true double at the other end of the line. A clandestine passenger on a motionless voyage."
Deleuze and Guattari, Thousand Plateaus p 197

#66 User is offline   Harvester 

• Evil Baron Kitty of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 02 September 2010 - 02:05 PM

I don't think she's a mage, she literally bathed herself in otateral. (Maybe some light Meanas or Mockra, but nothing serious.)

This post has been edited by Harvester: 02 September 2010 - 02:05 PM

#67 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 02 September 2010 - 03:27 PM

I'd really like to know how many and which ascendants she killed back then. Do we know if she is a mage? I don't recall.

View PostHarvester, on 02 September 2010 - 02:05 PM, said:

I don't think she's a mage, she literally bathed herself in otateral. (Maybe some light Meanas or Mockra, but nothing serious.)

I don't think we've ever seen Laseen use magic herself. There was the dead body thing in DG but that could easily be done by another Claw.

I rather like the notion that Laseen herself had no talent for magery, she was just THAT badass.

#68 User is offline   Quick Bill 

• Corporal
  • Interests:Philosophy, Growing Food, Cooking Food, Eating Food, Anything with Food, Partying, Camping, Fishing, Hiking, Wandering the Streets, Writing, Reading (Fantasy and otherwise).
  • I am obsessed with the MBoTF. How about you?

Posted 02 September 2010 - 04:12 PM

View PostAbyss, on 02 September 2010 - 03:27 PM, said:

View PostHarvester, on 02 September 2010 - 02:05 PM, said:

I don't think we've ever seen Laseen use magic herself. There was the dead body thing in DG but that could easily be done by another Claw.

I rather like the notion that Laseen herself had no talent for magery, she was just THAT badass.

I hear you on that one. She would have at least had to use an otataral weapon or something. The funny thing about Laseen is that at first I hated her guts, but the further into the series I went the more I sympathized with her and even developed a grudging respect.
"To have dismantled love in order to become capable of loving. To have dismantled one's self in order finally to be alone and meet the true double at the other end of the line. A clandestine passenger on a motionless voyage."
Deleuze and Guattari, Thousand Plateaus p 197

#69 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 02 September 2010 - 04:27 PM

View PostQuick Bill, on 02 September 2010 - 04:12 PM, said:

I hear you on that one. She would have at least had to use an otataral weapon or something. The funny thing about Laseen is that at first I hated her guts, but the further into the series I went the more I sympathized with her and even developed a grudging respect.

Totally, and to thread fu this back on topic this is one of those things that a re-read can really swing you around on.
The first time you're through up to TB Laseen is just a disaster. NoK hints pretty heavily that Kel was manipulating her into seizing power and 'assassinating' him and Dancer but the Wickan pogrom following on DG and HoC is a lot to process.

RCG paints her in a different light - she's still a stone cold asshat but she's been painted into a corner (at least partly her own fault)and is willing to sacrifice anyone and everyone to save the empire from the consequences of that. her conversation with Kalam and Tavore in TB is REALLY loaded - it's hard to tell whether she really wants them to help her or is pretty much ensuring they go rogue to deal with the Chained God situation while she saves the Empire.

#70 User is offline   Excellence 

• High Fist

Posted 04 September 2010 - 10:41 AM

The hidden Talon in the Bonehunters; Dust of Dreams.

That was a cool mention. What will become of it?
If there were no smart people others wouldn't feel inadequate.

Right?

#71 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor

Posted 04 September 2010 - 05:06 PM

View PostAbyss, on 01 September 2010 - 02:00 PM, said:

I'm not saying Surly/Laseen wasn't a badass, but we also get information in that same book that Dancer used to teleport himself into the middle of the enemy command tent, kill a few mages and get out before anyone knew wtf happened. I don't think anyone in the Old Guard was really protected and sheltered, they got the most they could out of everyone.
So, you're the historian who survived the Chain of Dogs.
Actually, I didn't.

It seems you stand alone.
It was ever thus.

#72 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 05 September 2010 - 06:28 AM

Nefarias Bredd being introduced in House of Chains. I don't think I picked up on the whole joke thing until Dust of Dreams. God I feel dumb.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#73 User is offline   Findarato 

• Lieutenant
  • Interests:wildlife, nature, reading, hiking, keeping mantids

Posted 05 September 2010 - 07:55 AM

View PostDefiance, on 05 September 2010 - 06:28 AM, said:

Nefarias Bredd being introduced in House of Chains. I don't think I picked up on the whole joke thing until Dust of Dreams. God I feel dumb.

same with me, I needed a re-read to get it.

I skipped two lines in TTH and missed the one sentence where Challice jumps. and then I kept wondering where she was. also this cleared up for me during a re-read a few weeks ago. among some other things.

#74 User is offline   Spiridon_Deannis 

• Sergeant

Posted 05 September 2010 - 02:24 PM

Here is a really wicked one from MT. Not really relevant to the arcs, but wicked, about some nasty lynchmobbers:

pg 597 (Bantam-pb): I´ve got a perch halfway up the lighthouse, paid a fortune for it, I´ll see it all.

pg 604: The concussion sent the lighthouse wavering [...]. Two thirds on the way down, along a narrow iron balcony, onlookers were flung into the air, to pitch screaming down to the rocks below.

Nothing like a little divine retribution...

#75 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 06 September 2010 - 06:30 PM

From Midnight Tides. This one didn't make me feel dumb, though - rather, it's something that I think SE put in place for people to catch the second time around.

Brys: "What? Oh, Turudal Brizad."

Ceda: "Ah yes. Such an errant, troubled lad."

Errant indeed.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#76 User is offline   Lister of Smeg 

• King of High House Smeg

Posted 06 September 2010 - 08:13 PM

^ In a similar vein to that one, there is this thought from Banaschar in DoD (Page 100 mmpb):

But that's the problem with the Bonehunters, isn't it?
Nobody can keep them out of
anyone's way.

He sure got that right, didn't he?
Avoid being seen as racist by saying, "I'm not a racist, but ..." prior to making a racist comment.

#77 User is offline   Excellence 

• High Fist

Posted 12 September 2010 - 10:28 AM

With that errant throwaway, you don't notice first read thru. But you grin the second time round when you reread it.
If there were no smart people others wouldn't feel inadequate.

Right?

#78 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 21 September 2010 - 05:47 AM

This is brutal irony. Im rereading DoD and in first chapter Banaschar tolds to himself "But thats the problem with Bonehunters, isnt it? Nobody can keep them out of anyone´s way". SE rulz again, firstly making it as compliment, in the end decimating them by staying in way of Nahruk.
Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimistic´s worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. It´s bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#79 User is offline   Lister of Smeg 

• King of High House Smeg

Posted 21 September 2010 - 05:38 PM

Ulrik, I'd just like to point you to my previous post, two posts above yours. [/smug mode]
Avoid being seen as racist by saying, "I'm not a racist, but ..." prior to making a racist comment.

#80 User is offline   Mcflury 

• First Sword
  • Interests:Reading, writing, partying, playing PC-games (mainly MMO's) and many more.

Posted 21 September 2010 - 05:57 PM

Personally I never saw that "never can keep them out of anyone's way" as a compliment. It's one of the only times I actually picked up one of SE's hints before actually having finished reading the story. I read that line and I thought "well, they'll definately come across some mean, big fucking thing again and stand all alone gainst it" (though I firstly thought they'd survive instead of being decimated and stuff :) )
"There is no struggle too vast no odds too overwhelming for even should we fail, should we fall, we will know that we have lived" - Anomander Rake
(From Toll the Hounds by Steven Erikson)

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users