Malazan Empire: When re-reads make you feel dumb - Malazan Empire

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

When re-reads make you feel dumb Those 'Yeah, shoulda noticed that...' moments... Rate Topic: -----

#81 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 21 September 2010 - 06:04 PM

View PostLister of Smeg, on 21 September 2010 - 05:38 PM, said:

Ulrik, I'd just like to point you to my previous post, two posts above yours. [/smug mode]

Behold...here comes man who never reads previous posts!:)

Sorry mate...:p
Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimisticīs worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. Itīs bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#82 User is offline   Lister of Smeg 

• King of High House Smeg
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 21 September 2010 - 08:42 PM

I'll let you off .... this time.

But next time, I'll smite you with me Kep'rah!
Avoid being seen as racist by saying, "I'm not a racist, but ..." prior to making a racist comment.

#83 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 24 September 2010 - 06:52 PM

The stuff about the Tyrant and the Seguleh in The Bonehunters. Not realizing it's significance the first time around, I totally forgot about it by the time the Tyrant was mentioned in Toll the Hounds.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#84 User is offline   Panador 

• Corporal

Posted 27 September 2010 - 11:46 PM

Yeah, there's a lot of stuff like this. Imo you HAVE to read Malazan at least twice. There is no way you can fully appreciate all the little "oh that was him?! we already saw that there?! woah, i don't remember them being there! it all makes so much sense now" moments until you do. You gain understanding of the world, the characters etc. the farther you get in the books. There is stuff you simply cannot comprehend when reading the books for the first time.
like the soldier with the fiddle in the GotM prologue. 99% of the people probably won't even remember that. The second time through you go "woah, we met Fiddler so soon?!".
Love it.
That's a strength and a weakness of the books. I love ASoIaF just as much (don't make me decide which is better, I couldn't) but you don't have that there. So you have less frustration reading it for the first time, but you won't have the joy of discovering something new if you read the books a second time like you with Malazan.
We were never what people could be. We were only what we were.
Remember Us.

#85 User is offline   madala 

• Sergeant

Posted 07 October 2010 - 12:40 PM

Another one I came across from the Bonehunters. Where Stormy, QB and Kalam are stressing over what to do about the Nah'Ruk skykeeps. Stormy says something along the lines of "when you can't take on a big, nasty, find a bigger, nastier to do it for you..." I've been noticing quite a lot of Stomry/Gesler foreshadowing, but this is one that springs to mind.

#86 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe

Posted 08 October 2010 - 10:12 PM

Never noticed this before from tBH...

Apsalar's adventures crossing over into the shadow realm...

"They set out, over the tenement, a street and then the rubble of the ruins. In the distance rose ghostly towers. A city of shadow, but this one thoroughly unlike the one of the night before. Vague structers lay over the wreckage below - canals, the glimmer of something like water. Lower bridges spanned these canals. A few thousan paces distant, to the southeast, rose a massive domed palace, and beyond it what might have been a lake, or a wide river. Ships piled those waters, spuare-sailed and sleek, a wood mightnight black. She say tall figures crossing a bridge fifty paces away.
Telorst hissed, "I recognise them!"
Apasalar crouched low, suddenly feeling terribly vulnerable here on this high walkway.
"Tiste Edur!"

Shadow overlapping - 7C and Letherii - just another confirmation that shadow roams everywhere!

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#87 User is offline   Excellence 

• High Fist

Posted 11 October 2010 - 11:49 AM

I have very strong suspicions... it was Kilmandaros who steered the Dinobots in the Malazans' path. They really had little reason to attack feeble humans. Not long before, didn't she get hissed over the Malazan meddling and Shadowthrone's more annoying meddling?
If there were no smart people others wouldn't feel inadequate.

Right?

#88 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 11 October 2010 - 05:05 PM

About 1/5 of the way into RG, when Bugg is talking with Rautos Hivanar about the artifacts that have been uncovered. Very big foreshadowing about it being Icarium's machine which he'll use to replicate K'rul's actions. Don't know how I missed that the first time around, I had no idea what was up with Icarium and his machine until DoD.
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#89 User is offline   Ulrik 

Posted 18 October 2010 - 07:09 AM

OK, is Tool, before trying to enter Hoodīs Gate dreaming about last member of his kin in different world, killed in his cave, bones shattered, just pure imagination or is SE describing end of homo neanderthalis in our world? 

This post has been edited by Ulrik: 18 October 2010 - 07:10 AM

Being optimisticīs worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. Itīs bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#90 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 18 October 2010 - 07:15 AM

Tool realizes that humans were ultimately the end of the Imass, as they won the battle for primacy and the Imass died out into extinction.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#91 User is offline   Ulrik 

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:11 AM

Well yes, thats obvious (go, team Tool, go!), I just wondered about this one picture.
- Fiddler

#92 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:18 AM

As it is foreshadowing, I don't think it really matters. If I remember correctly, of their clan, only Tool survived Kilava's displeasure at the beginning of the Ritual, so it would then be imaginary, yes? Unless I am taking Tool's eventually being clanless that is in GotM out of context. Could be either way. Foreshadowing is the important part.

This post has been edited by H.D.: 18 October 2010 - 08:21 AM

Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#93 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 18 October 2010 - 08:59 AM

3rd reading of DG and have only now realised that Legana Breed used the soul of the severed head of the Andii he took from the Silanda to seal the rent and not himself. I always knew he took the head but never realised that it was actually the Andii soul and not his that was used to seal the rift. I was expecting the head to come back into it at some book down the line.

#94 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 18 October 2010 - 02:42 PM

View PostUlrik, on 18 October 2010 - 07:09 AM, said:

OK, is Tool, before trying to enter Hoodīs Gate dreaming about last member of his kin in different world, killed in his cave, bones shattered, just pure imagination or is SE describing end of homo neanderthalis in our world?

A little of both i would speculate.

View PostH.D., on 18 October 2010 - 07:15 AM, said:

Tool realizes that humans were ultimately the end of the Imass, as they won the battle for primacy and the Imass died out into extinction.

I'm not sure that's accurate, since the T'lan Imass continued on past the the 'rise' of humans and were around when Dessimbewacky's First Empire destructed.

We only find out a bit later in the book that the last remaining Imass were driven to extinction by humans and attempted a second Tellan Ritual.

View PostUlrik, on 18 October 2010 - 08:11 AM, said:

Well yes, thats obvious (go, team Tool, go!), I just wondered about this one picture.

Tool's vision could be of the end of that late stage of the living Imass rather than a whole other world. Stil speculating tho', because it was pretty ambiguous.

Coming at it another way, what perplexes me is why the Tlan Imass would act to 'save the world' from Jaghut Tyrants and insane soletaken, but not step in to save their own people from apparent extinction?

I suppose the explanation is that the clans in the Wasteland on Leth who attempted the second Ritual were unknown to the Tlan Imass who were mostly fighting Jaghuts on Genebackis and 7C at the time.

View PostH.D., on 18 October 2010 - 08:18 AM, said:

As it is foreshadowing, I don't think it really matters. If I remember correctly, of their clan, only Tool survived Kilava's displeasure at the beginning of the Ritual, so it would then be imaginary, yes? Unless I am taking Tool's eventually being clanless that is in GotM out of context. Could be either way. Foreshadowing is the important part.

Not quite - there were bonds beyond those of Clan. It seems Kilava only took out those whose links to her would draw her into the Ritual, and once enough of them were dead, it didn't matter that Tool still lived.

We have the example of the miner Imass in TtH who was nowhere near the ritual but was still drawn in, versus some kids, stray clans who later attempted the second ritual , those who were off kayaking with the T3... etc who were not drawn in. Point being Kilava being a Bonecaster knew what she had to do to stay out of it.

View Postblackzoid, on 18 October 2010 - 08:59 AM, said:

3rd reading of DG and have only now realised that Legana Breed used the soul of the severed head of the Andii he took from the Silanda to seal the rent and not himself. I always knew he took the head but never realised that it was actually the Andii soul and not his that was used to seal the rift. I was expecting the head to come back into it at some book down the line.

Legana Breed showing up at Braven Tooth's door in TB was pretty funny, but a disembodied Andii head rolling up would have been WAY funnier...
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#95 User is offline   champ 

Posted 19 October 2010 - 08:57 PM

QB in tBH deciding to pay ST a visit (just before Poliel gets owned)...

A different throne, this one so faint as to be nothing more than the hint of slivered shadows, sketched across planes of dirty ice - oddly changed, Quick Ben decided, from the last time he had seen it

proof all along ST sitting on more than one throne staring us right in the face?

Tehol said:

#96 User is offline   champ 

Posted 22 October 2010 - 08:52 PM

another thought whilst reading, our favourite drunk Sergeant wondering on the name of the Bonehunters...

"...The Bonehunters. Yes, I can live with that name. True, it wasn't as poignant as Bridgeburners. In fact, its meaning was a little bit obscure..."

just got thinking on SE playing with words how he does (recent QB discussion soletaken ie) we know the crippled gods body was tore apart in the Fall, the trip to Kalanse a hunt for his body... a hunt for his bones... The Bonehunters!

a hint of what was to come..?

Tehol said:

#97 User is offline   Mcflury 

• First Sword
  • Interests:Reading, writing, partying, playing PC-games (mainly MMO's) and many more.

Posted 23 October 2010 - 11:08 AM

View Postchampooon, on 22 October 2010 - 08:52 PM, said:

another thought whilst reading, our favourite drunk Sergeant wondering on the name of the Bonehunters...

"...The Bonehunters. Yes, I can live with that name. True, it wasn't as poignant as Bridgeburners. In fact, its meaning was a little bit obscure..."

just got thinking on SE playing with words how he does (recent QB discussion soletaken ie) we know the crippled gods body was tore apart in the Fall, the trip to Kalanse a hunt for his body... a hunt for his bones... The Bonehunters!

I thought it was more because of anywhere they went, death preceded them. At the beginning at least.
Keep in mind that nobody actually knows where they're going, only Tavore does, and iirc it wasn't Tavore who first came up with the name.
"There is no struggle too vast no odds too overwhelming for even should we fail, should we fall, we will know that we have lived" - Anomander Rake
(From Toll the Hounds by Steven Erikson)

#98 User is offline   champ 

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:14 AM

View PostMcflury, on 23 October 2010 - 11:08 AM, said:

View Postchampooon, on 22 October 2010 - 08:52 PM, said:

I thought it was more because of anywhere they went, death preceded them. At the beginning at least.
Keep in mind that nobody actually knows where they're going, only Tavore does, and iirc it wasn't Tavore who first came up with the name.

was more referring to SE hinting at whats to come, not Tavore

edit

another example of SE foreshadowing...

Fiddler playing in the finale of tBH

"Here's a different song for you, one of the few I've actually learned. From Kartool. It's called "The Paralt's Dance." He rested the bow on the strings, then began.
Wild, frantic, amusing. Its final notes recounted the triumphant female eating her lover.

Lostara and Pearl... maybe not triumphant but still...

This post has been edited by champooon: 24 October 2010 - 10:19 AM

Tehol said:

#99 User is offline   Brys Beddict 

• King's Champion

Posted 24 October 2010 - 08:36 PM

I also kinda glazed over the part of the prologue where it says that the one ghost was walking around talking a bunch of different voices. Led to some confusion later on in the book when all of a sudden Icarium popped out. That and I completely forgot that Taxilian and Rautos died at the end of RG. All the characters also had a weird hatred of spears and were all terrified of the very thought of a spear. That should have been a big give-away.

When Kalyth rides the Spotted Horse and finds Heboric and he mentions her needing to find champions who have been annealed, and tempered and well-forged. Go figure that Gesler and Stormy have always been described that way past DG.

Again with Kalyth, when she finds the site where the Otataral dragon killed the other one, Sag'Churok launches into describing gods and forces in opposition and that's why the O-dragon exists. Reminds of back in DG when someone mentions that Kellanved carved into the gate of Li Heng (or some city like it) "Elemental forces in opposition". Really sets the tone for the series and shows how far thinking Kell is, eh?

#100 User is offline   Ulrik 

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:02 PM

The scene where Olar Bitch Ethil meest Silchas and Rudd is awesome. I forgot - why the hell are Telorast and Curdle seeking OE?
- Fiddler

Share this topic:

• 9 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users