Malazan Empire: PROLOGUE general discussion - Malazan Empire

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

PROLOGUE general discussion from June 30 2010 posting of prologue Rate Topic: -----

#81 User is offline   Zorland 

• Corporal
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 01 October 2010 - 01:38 AM

When I first read the passage, I thought the God was Burn for sure. Now, I am much less sure of myself. I think it is the appearance (rot, bile, sores, etc.) that just doesn't sync right, and I'm not feeling the CG's infection as the answer. However, I don't think it is Killy at all. She is typically worshiped as a destructive force and while I can imagine her being protective of her worshipers, the idea of building a wall to solve the problem seems inimical to her nature.

This post has been edited by Zorland: 01 October 2010 - 01:38 AM

#82 User is offline   T'renn 

• First Sword
  • Cussing Forevah

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:25 AM

Maybe it was Poliel ? I mean, disease is her thing....

Besides, a sudden weakening of the Stormwall could correlate with her death
...Every tale is a gift,
And the scars bourne by us both,
are easily missed,
In the distance between us.

-Fisher-

Don't be blind,
Mind,
To be kind,
For you will find,

Kindness has its own rewards,
and each must find his way to heaven

-T.D. Mengerink-

#83 User is offline   Mcflury 

• First Sword
  • Interests:Reading, writing, partying, playing PC-games (mainly MMO's) and many more.

Posted 01 October 2010 - 07:51 PM

View PostImperial High Mage Tayschrenn, on 01 October 2010 - 06:25 AM, said:

Poliel wasn't an elder god though was she? And I'm pretty sure whoever that godess was, she is or was part of the Elder group.
Of course, I could be mistaken... wouldn't be my first time at all...
"There is no struggle too vast no odds too overwhelming for even should we fail, should we fall, we will know that we have lived" - Anomander Rake
(From Toll the Hounds by Steven Erikson)

#84 User is offline   The Seguleh 46th 

• High Fist

Posted 02 October 2010 - 04:41 AM

View PostMcflury, on 01 October 2010 - 07:51 PM, said:

View PostImperial High Mage Tayschrenn, on 01 October 2010 - 06:25 AM, said:

Poliel wasn't an elder god though was she? And I'm pretty sure whoever that godess was, she is or was part of the Elder group.
Of course, I could be mistaken... wouldn't be my first time at all...

A wee bit off topic here, but what exactly was Poleil? And her twin Soleil for that matter? Their descriptions in TBH (when they were in their "true" forms) was something downright crazy, IIRC. Maybe demons? Or rather, demon goddesses?

This post has been edited by The Seguleh 46th: 02 October 2010 - 04:42 AM

#85 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 02 October 2010 - 05:22 AM

i've always thought that they were FA that became gods. though they could be some kind of demon. the androgyny and paleness of their forms is what made me think FA.

i think it's in MT when silchas ruin mentions that in some places FA are worshipped by misguided mortals.
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#86 User is offline   The Seguleh 46th 

• High Fist

Posted 02 October 2010 - 08:48 PM

View PostSinisdar Toste, on 02 October 2010 - 05:22 AM, said:

i've always thought that they were FA that became gods. though they could be some kind of demon. the androgyny and paleness of their forms is what made me think FA.

i think it's in MT when silchas ruin mentions that in some places FA are worshipped by misguided mortals.

I thought that too, at first. But weren't they really huge, and had three talons/claws for both their hands and feet? Not really important, just thought it was neat to add to the complexity of the pantheon, if they indeed were demon lords/goddesses. I imagine though that you are in fact probably 100% correct in them being FA though, as i most likely simply read too much into it.

#87 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor

Posted 02 October 2010 - 09:46 PM

View PostThe Seguleh 46th, on 02 October 2010 - 08:48 PM, said:

View PostSinisdar Toste, on 02 October 2010 - 05:22 AM, said:

I thought that too, at first. But weren't they really huge, and had three talons/claws for both their hands and feet? Not really important, just thought it was neat to add to the complexity of the pantheon, if they indeed were demon lords/goddesses. I imagine though that you are in fact probably 100% correct in them being FA though, as i most likely simply read too much into it.

I didn't get the impression that they were FA. Just Gods that had unique appearances (Mael, Fener, etc...). And that Silchas Ruin line isn't really relevant, because he says it after saying that FA were very hard to kill, and in most places they were just imprisoned (like Calm and the one from MT, Repose I think), and that was who the misguided mortals worshipped. Clearly Poliel wasn't imprisoned anywhere.
So, you're the historian who survived the Chain of Dogs.
Actually, I didn't.

It seems you stand alone.
It was ever thus.

#88 User is offline   ritchiediaz 

• Lieutenant

Posted 30 October 2010 - 04:01 PM

Just a crazy thought regarding Burn and Kilmandaros.

Is it possible they are one and the same? What do we really know about Burns sleep?

Quote regarding Kilmandaros from Dust of Dreams (p218 UK hardback):-

In the tower of the Azath, within a chamber that was an entire realm, she slept and she dreamed.

We know from an earlier exchange between Quick and the Tennes Witch in Memories of Ice that Burn 'sleeps to dream'

Now with this prologue to Stonewielder, I wonder...

This post has been edited by ritchiediaz: 30 October 2010 - 04:01 PM

#89 User is offline   D'iversify 

• First Sword

Posted 30 October 2010 - 04:30 PM

View Postritchiediaz, on 30 October 2010 - 04:01 PM, said:

Just a crazy thought regarding Burn and Kilmandaros.

Is it possible they are one and the same? What do we really know about Burns sleep?

Quote regarding Kilmandaros from Dust of Dreams (p218 UK hardback):-

In the tower of the Azath, within a chamber that was an entire realm, she slept and she dreamed.

We know from an earlier exchange between Quick and the Tennes Witch in Memories of Ice that Burn 'sleeps to dream'

Now with this prologue to Stonewielder, I wonder...
Kilmandaros is seen elsewhere in the series (Reaper's Gale I think, lives in a house under the sea) clearly active though, whereas Burn is always asleep in the series.
I am the Onyx Wizards

#90 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 30 October 2010 - 04:53 PM

According to what we understand. Killy has not been active. She has been sitting in that Azath, distracted by Knuckles spell. If she was unable to even draw herself away from the game, it would stand to reason that she would be unable to get involved in the outside world as well, be that in the physical form or as an avatar. If that is the case, it can't possibly be her who gave the Korelri the means to create the Stonewall. She has been sitting in the Azath for over 300,000 years.

#91 User is offline   pat5150 

• D'ivers

Posted 31 October 2010 - 01:18 AM

There is nothing in Stonewielder that even hints that Burn and Kilmandaros could be one and the same. . .

Patrick
For book reviews, author interviews, giveaways, related articles and news, and much more, check out www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

#92 User is offline   ritchiediaz 

• Lieutenant

Posted 01 November 2010 - 11:46 AM

View Postpat5150, on 31 October 2010 - 01:18 AM, said:

There is nothing in Stonewielder that even hints that Burn and Kilmandaros could be one and the same. . .

Patrick

Like I said it was a crazy theory, but the quote in DOD really made me do a double take.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users