Malazan Empire: The Watching Trickster Pub - Malazan Empire

• 190 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Watching Trickster Pub Come in, sit down and share your random thoughts with a good pint.

#3701 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 26 July 2016 - 04:26 AM

Sounds like a cool little hobby, DW. WHat kind of stuff were you planning to grow?

I need something that'll give me short term-amnesia, but leave all cognitive faculties intact. I get home late after a game, eating supper, chatting with parents. They were over at a friends' b-day last night, so I ask about that. Apparently some friends of friends heard that I'm a lawyer now and they have a younger daughter of marriage age... luckily, they pissed off my mom by asking about how tall I was as the first question.
So we all had a good chuckle about that. Then my father has to ruin it by going, "but anyways. You know that girl your mother keeps saying you should try to spend more time with? You need to do that. Because right now you're basically wasting your life, since you don't know what you want in life".

At this point I icily told them I've got a hearing tomorrow morning and I still need to finish writing out my prep (which was true) and ended the conversation.

I love my parents dearly. But we've had an amicable understanding for years that I don't talk to anyone about my personal life (or lack thereof) unless I feel like talking. It's a status quo that worked well. We've made a bunch of compromises since I finished school and started living with them again, and overall I get along decently well with them. But when they suddenly try to give me pointers in my personal life, I revert back to high-school/early Uni mindset, and I'm severely tempted to take the exact same passive-aggressive "I'm a workaholic now and have no time for personal life, even if I wanted to, okthanksgoodnight" stance that I did for the 7 years I've worked as a lifeguard for the sake of long hours, and no free time for social life so as not to have to deal with my mother's "why were you out so late" questions. I realize it's childish, and extremely maladaptive, but whenever this topic gets breached, I cannot respond rationally and all I want is to do the exact opposite of what they suggest purely out of spite.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#3702 User is offline   Darkwatch 

• A Strange Human
  • Group: The Most Holy and Exalted Inquis

Posted 26 July 2016 - 12:00 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 26 July 2016 - 03:08 AM, said:

I'd been up since 5 with a sick kid and no access to coffee.

It was rough.

Hope you're both ok. I'll get you another one ready for after you get some sleep.

View PostMentalist, on 26 July 2016 - 04:26 AM, said:

Sounds like a cool little hobby, DW. WHat kind of stuff were you planning to grow?

I need something that'll give me short term-amnesia, but leave all cognitive faculties intact. I get home late after a game, eating supper, chatting with parents. They were over at a friends' b-day last night, so I ask about that. Apparently some friends of friends heard that I'm a lawyer now and they have a younger daughter of marriage age... luckily, they pissed off my mom by asking about how tall I was as the first question.
So we all had a good chuckle about that. Then my father has to ruin it by going, "but anyways. You know that girl your mother keeps saying you should try to spend more time with? You need to do that. Because right now you're basically wasting your life, since you don't know what you want in life".

At this point I icily told them I've got a hearing tomorrow morning and I still need to finish writing out my prep (which was true) and ended the conversation.

I love my parents dearly. But we've had an amicable understanding for years that I don't talk to anyone about my personal life (or lack thereof) unless I feel like talking. It's a status quo that worked well. We've made a bunch of compromises since I finished school and started living with them again, and overall I get along decently well with them. But when they suddenly try to give me pointers in my personal life, I revert back to high-school/early Uni mindset, and I'm severely tempted to take the exact same passive-aggressive "I'm a workaholic now and have no time for personal life, even if I wanted to, okthanksgoodnight" stance that I did for the 7 years I've worked as a lifeguard for the sake of long hours, and no free time for social life so as not to have to deal with my mother's "why were you out so late" questions. I realize it's childish, and extremely maladaptive, but whenever this topic gets breached, I cannot respond rationally and all I want is to do the exact opposite of what they suggest purely out of spite.

Anything edible. Carrots, celery, strawberries and potatoes among others. I'm not big on plants that are only decorative.

I understand you on that end. I moved back in with my parents for three months once. One of my biggest mistakes. I've rarely ever been as stressed out as I was during those 3 months. Got the hell out of there very quickly. The same agreement of "we won't ask questions" lasted all of two days.
If you've had the discussion of explaining why you think those questions and topics are out of bounds more than once I'm not sure what your other options are but to use evasion tactics.
Honestly though you're far more patient than I am. My cousins always ask me about my relationship status and I find it irritating. If my parents were doing it I think I'd have moved further away than I already have.
The Pub is Always Open

Proud supporter of the Wolves of Winter. Glory be to her Majesty, The Lady Snow.
Cursed Summer returns. The Lady Now Sleeps.

The Sexy Thatch Burning Physicist

Τον Πρωτος Αληθη Δεσποτην της Οικιας Αυτος

RodeoRanch said:

You're a rock.
A non-touching itself rock.

#3703 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 26 July 2016 - 11:37 PM

Up to very recently, I had to occasionally endure the "you need to figure out what you are doing with your life" philosophical ramblings aimed at my job. After I got into law school, and later when I moved back and started working as a legal assistant/looking for articling/then articling/now working as a lawyer, that topic kinda died down. This is a new one, and quite frankly, not a pleasant topic.

#3704 User is offline   Darkwatch 

• A Strange Human

Posted 28 July 2016 - 02:25 AM

View PostMentalist, on 26 July 2016 - 11:37 PM, said:

Up to very recently, I had to occasionally endure the "you need to figure out what you are doing with your life" philosophical ramblings aimed at my job. After I got into law school, and later when I moved back and started working as a legal assistant/looking for articling/then articling/now working as a lawyer, that topic kinda died down. This is a new one, and quite frankly, not a pleasant topic.

Being judged on a relationship status by your parents is something I don't stomach either. I'm not sure where it comes from though. In what way does it relate figuring things out?
It's never fun to have those discussions, yet another reason that I would only move back if it absolutely had to, as in there or the street.
It has taken me years of direct and indirect conversations to stop these lines of inquiry and even then it gets rehashed sometimes. Or other unpleasant lines of conversation.

Besides it all feels like moving goal posts. Job problems: "figure your life out". Ok done, "Well it's not figured out, you're still single!" *Hypothetical* I'm in a relationship, "When are the kids do?" And on and on.

I suppose it has to do with trying to square the pattern they followed with the one your doing and them not being the same.
The Pub is Always Open

Proud supporter of the Wolves of Winter. Glory be to her Majesty, The Lady Snow.

RodeoRanch said:

You're a rock.

#3705 User is offline   Centzon Totochtin 

• For Pony!
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Stuff, and sometimes also things.
  • Bunnies!

Posted 28 July 2016 - 11:42 AM

I need alcohol... tasty alcohol... in a bucket... Posted Image

Work has been rough this week and I have gone back to the gym so everything hurts!

And I am really missing having my close friends in the same city at the moment Posted Image
That Elephant is looking rather frayed at the edges

#3706 User is offline   Darkwatch 

• A Strange Human

Posted 28 July 2016 - 11:56 AM

I've got a whole bucket of some red wine here and a few of your Centz' Zinger's to chase the wine with.

I can sympathize with the gym part, my body is currently grumbling mutiny at the new program I started.

For the rough work week, I hope it was rough for good reasons (i.e. lots of work but with good results) and not bad ones.
Could you pull a two birds one stone by taking an extra day off Monday to go and spend time with friends?
The Pub is Always Open

RodeoRanch said:

You're a rock.

#3707 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 15 August 2016 - 02:19 AM

Hung out with a bunch of ppl from my soccer team for a BBQ/pool party, since we had an oddly early scheduled game today.

I had about 7 beers, but on an almost empty stomach, and it was a deceivingly hot day (in a sense there was almost no sun, but it was hot).

Feeling kinda tipsy. Possibly that's why I'm not feeling the pain I should be from my injury right now- and that's worrying me slightly.

I'm also sufficiently inebriated that I can't really read/game/sort music right now. which means it'll probably be an early night, as the beginning of this week is a tad busy at work.

A Morning After would probably be a good thing to have on standby. Got a bottle of Pellegrino I'm working my way through right now as a substitute.

#3708 User is offline   Darkwatch 

• A Strange Human

Posted 18 August 2016 - 02:19 AM

Those days are not fun with alcohol.

Here's your Morning After. How you feeling now?
The Pub is Always Open

RodeoRanch said:

You're a rock.

#3709 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 18 August 2016 - 03:12 AM

Oh, I survived. won't say it was a pleasant Monday, but it was decently slow at work, so things turned out allright.

Right now I'm bothered by my latest soccer injury (pulled smth in the core/groin area) that happened a week or so ago, and is taking its sweet time recovering. Beyond that, things are good. Work is slow in the summer, weather is pretty gorgeous. Nothing to complain about, really.

#3710 User is offline   Darkwatch 

• A Strange Human

Posted 08 September 2016 - 04:09 PM

Sorry for the absence.

Everybody gets a drink on the house.
The Pub is Always Open

RodeoRanch said:

You're a rock.

#3711 User is offline   Darkwatch 

• A Strange Human

Posted 15 September 2016 - 06:08 PM

Went to an event on campus last night, a bunch of shows for the beginning of the semester.

The music was good but it was by far the most obnoxious crowd I've ever seen. People were starting mosh pits during really low energy post-rock songs while wearing their backpacks (which they were allowed to have for some reason). Also in one hall the density of the crowd was very low with navigable paths everywhere, but it's as if people were trying to run into as many people as possible. The icing on the cake was that a whole lot of people were trying to be overly "Quirky & Cool TM" and overly "Spontaneous TM".

I think I'm officially too old for this shit.
The Pub is Always Open

RodeoRanch said:

You're a rock.

#3712 User is offline   Lady Bliss 

• Shameless Minister of Silly Catwalks of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 15 September 2016 - 06:26 PM

Lol... NEVER too old!

Times are tough bartender. Can I start off with a shot?
"If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge?" - Shylock

#3713 User is offline   Darkwatch 

• A Strange Human

Posted 15 September 2016 - 07:20 PM

View PostLady Bliss, on 15 September 2016 - 06:26 PM, said:

Lol... NEVER too old!

Times are tough bartender. Can I start off with a shot?

@ Bliss, no problem. I've got a centurion of rum ready and waiting. Is there anything else that'll help?

Well the next show I'm going to isn't on campus, so maybe it'll be better crowd wise.
The Pub is Always Open

RodeoRanch said:

You're a rock.

#3714 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 01 October 2016 - 08:41 PM

So, my birthday is coming up. I can't really do anythign big this year, b/c the actual birthday date is a long weekend Monday, which is a work night. And I can't host a birthday party before the date, because my supersticious mother would skin me alive.

So I figured "let's get some people together on a Sunday (day before) and go bowling".

I made an event on Facebook, and invited a bunch of people. I have 3 main contact groups I split my social circle into:- my Ukrainian friends, my school classmates/their friends I play soccer with; and my law school classmates and their friends I play soccer with.

Keeping it pretty tight (i.e, people I speak to decently often), I came up with about 40 people.

This really makes me question my self-identification as a somewhat anti-social person.

#3715 User is offline   Darkwatch 

• A Strange Human

Posted 15 November 2016 - 01:56 PM

View PostMentalist, on 01 October 2016 - 08:41 PM, said:

So, my birthday is coming up. I can't really do anythign big this year, b/c the actual birthday date is a long weekend Monday, which is a work night. And I can't host a birthday party before the date, because my supersticious mother would skin me alive.

So I figured "let's get some people together on a Sunday (day before) and go bowling".

I made an event on Facebook, and invited a bunch of people. I have 3 main contact groups I split my social circle into:- my Ukrainian friends, my school classmates/their friends I play soccer with; and my law school classmates and their friends I play soccer with.

Keeping it pretty tight (i.e, people I speak to decently often), I came up with about 40 people.

This really makes me question my self-identification as a somewhat anti-social person.

I feel bad that I lapsed out of existence for this.

Happy (really, really) belated birthday!

It's moments like that when you realise, shit I know a lot of people. Hope it was a good Sunday.
The Pub is Always Open

RodeoRanch said:

You're a rock.

#3716 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 15 November 2016 - 09:46 PM

Thanks. It was alright, not the best turnout, with people cancellin due to Thanksgiving and all that, but people had fun. These birthday things are generally about other people enjoying themselves moreso than me, so i'm used to that.

How ha things been with you? Any more amusing anecdotes concerning your co-workers?

#3717 User is offline   Darkwatch 

• A Strange Human

Posted 17 November 2016 - 04:53 AM

Well I hope you also had fun and good beer.

Things are rolling along here fast enough. I've got a paper to write in a week and work is interesting. As for coworkers one of the people replacing the administrative assistant often spoke of the weird part of youtube and the things she saw there. Worse she believed the things she saw there, such as archeology being a lie and that there was proof of 250 million (MILLION) year old humans.
It was strange. She's gone now.
As most, last week was all about seeing clouds gatherings.
We also had a friend's birthday party that ended with cigars and poker which was a good point.
The Pub is Always Open

RodeoRanch said:

You're a rock.

#3718 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 17 November 2016 - 04:32 PM

I can tell il getting older. I used to ask for whiskey or beer, now I just want a good strong coffee to get me through the day.

About 2-3 weeks left on the house I'm building. Putting down flooring today.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#3719 User is offline   Darkwatch 

• A Strange Human

Posted 17 November 2016 - 05:28 PM

Sympathy on the age situation.
I've noticed that not only have I started having hangovers, but that they last two days. It really is annoying. At least I haven't begun drinking wine and having cheese plates (the horror of such a fate).

What kind of house is it?
The Pub is Always Open

RodeoRanch said:

You're a rock.

#3720 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 17 November 2016 - 06:07 PM

Eh, nothing particularly wrong with wine and cheese per se (first off, my profession is quite into it. Second, I often share a bottle of of with parents on those rare occasions all 3 of us eat at the same time).

It's when you start choosing wine as your drink of choice on nights out when you should start worrying, imo.

Got a Uki rock concert to go to tonight, with an expected after-pa till 2 AM. An tomorrow's work. And I won't be able to call sick, because a least 1 set of clients will be relyin on me as translator.

It'll be interesting.

Share this topic:

• 190 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users