• You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Videogames Thread

#3961 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 16 July 2021 - 07:51 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 15 July 2021 - 06:38 PM, said:

Netflix getting into video games.

"The Netflix of Gaming".... I've heard that somewhere I think.

I wonder how this will start and what the short term strategy is? I'm guessing casual games? The sit on the couch with friends social ("Netflix Games and chill"?) and time wasters that tie-in to their content. Something like a Bejeweled skinned with Stranger Things. Or will they go bigger eventually? Seems like Xbox Game Pass has gobbled up so many titles. Eventually there will probably be the situation with video games (like with traditional programming) where games will come and go from competing services?

Was pondering more about this Netflix announcement, which I read later they would be focused on downloads initially? Which seems odd and counter to where their core competency lies. Anyway, in thinking about this, Google Stadia came to mind. Is that still a thing? I sort of remember it had some bad PR at the outset of its soft launch to those who signed up for beta access.

#3962 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 17 July 2021 - 03:27 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 16 July 2021 - 07:51 PM, said:

View PostMalankazooie, on 15 July 2021 - 06:38 PM, said:

Netflix getting into video games.

"The Netflix of Gaming".... I've heard that somewhere I think.

I wonder how this will start and what the short term strategy is? I'm guessing casual games? The sit on the couch with friends social ("Netflix Games and chill"?) and time wasters that tie-in to their content. Something like a Bejeweled skinned with Stranger Things. Or will they go bigger eventually? Seems like Xbox Game Pass has gobbled up so many titles. Eventually there will probably be the situation with video games (like with traditional programming) where games will come and go from competing services?

Was pondering more about this Netflix announcement, which I read later they would be focused on downloads initially? Which seems odd and counter to where their core competency lies. Anyway, in thinking about this, Google Stadia came to mind. Is that still a thing? I sort of remember it had some bad PR at the outset of its soft launch to those who signed up for beta access.

It exists. They closed their 1st party dev studios in Feb, I think, so now it's only 3rd party games.

The issue with Stadia is that they are charging full-price for a copy of a game that you "own" only on their servers, with no way to access the data other than streaming the game.

That, and their marketing of it has been pure garbage.

If NetFlix wants to get into gaming, it needs to learn from Google and Amazon's mistake, and make no big moves until they've got the games to back it up. Their initial efforts will probably be interactive media/cross fiction stuff that's directly related to their IPs. If the games are small "companion pieces" to NEtflix IPs, downloading them would be a better option while NetFlix is able to finetune the latency lag that's significantly different in gaming as opposed to passive movie streaming.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#3963 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 17 July 2021 - 06:04 PM

Yeah, I was listening to some opinions on where Netflix will initially enter into the space. For the most part it was the same take - small casual games that tie-in to their content that will reinforce consumer 'stickiness ' to their service.

I'm interested to know how streaming games perform in general, regardless of service provider. Particularly in a multiplayer, pvp, fps type of game play.

#3964 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 17 July 2021 - 10:36 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 17 July 2021 - 06:04 PM, said:

Yeah, I was listening to some opinions on where Netflix will initially enter into the space. For the most part it was the same take - small casual games that tie-in to their content that will reinforce consumer 'stickiness ' to their service.

I'm interested to know how streaming games perform in general, regardless of service provider. Particularly in a multiplayer, pvp, fps type of game play.

Stadia has decent reviews in terms of their technical stuff- Destiny 2 was their big headliner, and it's apparently a decent enough experience from the technical perspective.
Their business model is garbage, though, which is a huge problem.

Other streaming services (such as Xcloud, PSNow, and NvidiaShield are much more niche "add-ons" to existing ecosystems in most cases, so you'd need to look into specific coverage.
Amazon Luna appears to be be pretty DoA, since people are mentioning it even less than Stadia

#3965 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 26 July 2021 - 06:33 PM

Missed that EA Play Live event last week. I'm not all that enthusiastic about EA's stuff, but did they have something about Dead Space? Either doing something new with Dead Space, or are they going to remake it with a slick graphics upgrade and such? Like seems to be a trend now with older games.

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 26 July 2021 - 06:34 PM

#3966 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 30 July 2021 - 08:58 PM

DeadSpace is being "re-imagined" RE2-style.

In the least surprising news ever, Horizon Forbidden West appears to be delayed to 2022.

Looks like DeathLoop is gonna be the focus of Sony's marketing for the rest of 2021, as it's their one big exclusive.

Microsoft should have Halo, Forza, as well as Age of Empires 4 all rolling out this year.

#3967 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 31 July 2021 - 02:32 AM

Cool, I never played Dead Space, but I vaguely remember it being terrifying. So I can only guess that they will really turn up the scare quotient with the latest systems' graphics and sound.

Here is the video of Stray. I know we have many cat lovers on the forum and this looks to right in their wheelhouse. Looks fun and weird (in a good way).

#3968 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 02 August 2021 - 07:31 PM

Sucker Punch has unfinished business with 'Ghost of Tsushima'

*link is to www.washingtonpost.com

#3969 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 03 August 2021 - 07:55 AM

View PostMentalist, on 30 July 2021 - 08:58 PM, said:

DeadSpace is being "re-imagined" RE2-style.

In the least surprising news ever, Horizon Forbidden West appears to be delayed to 2022.

Looks like DeathLoop is gonna be the focus of Sony's marketing for the rest of 2021, as it's their one big exclusive.

Microsoft should have Halo, Forza, as well as Age of Empires 4 all rolling out this year.

I mean, Dead Space always played like the RE2make does, over the shoulder run and gun. I'm actually playing it right now for funsies.

We'll see how they go with it but that's a very tall order of a game to remake because even now it plays really well. Except for the MOTHERFUCKING ADS CANNON OH MY FUCKING GOD it's lovely.

Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#3970 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 03 August 2021 - 10:35 AM

Is Dead Space the one where you can kill the things better by shooting them in the wavy extremities rather than the body or face cos I bailed on that one pretty quickly.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#3971 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 03 August 2021 - 11:55 AM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 03 August 2021 - 10:35 AM, said:

Is Dead Space the one where you can kill the things better by shooting them in the wavy extremities rather than the body or face cos I bailed on that one pretty quickly.

Yeah you gotta dismember them, the in-game logic is that by cutting off limbs you render them harmless, the gameplay logic is that slicing shit up is fun.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#3972 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 03 August 2021 - 12:51 PM

Deadspace goes something like this: Pew pew their limbs, then STOMP URGH STOMP URGH STOMP STOMP STOMP.

#3973 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 04 August 2021 - 08:50 PM

Halo Infinite short video. Guy is using a grenade to launch a power rifle drop into the air, which he then grapples.

I get some serious Destiny vibes from the video though. Which makes sense, because isn't Destiny the spiritual successor of the Halo series? I think I read that somewhere. In this particular video it's uncanny though.

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 04 August 2021 - 10:04 PM

#3974 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 05 August 2021 - 02:04 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 04 August 2021 - 08:50 PM, said:

Halo Infinite short video. Guy is using a grenade to launch a power rifle drop into the air, which he then grapples.

I get some serious Destiny vibes from the video though. Which makes sense, because isn't Destiny the spiritual successor of the Halo series? I think I read that somewhere. In this particular video it's uncanny though.

Bungee made Halo and then went off to make Destiny.

343 has been both trying to modernize Halo AND "recapture the Bungee magic". So... the convergence kinda makes sense?

It'll be interesting to see if the free to play Halo Infinite multiplayer manages to carve out a niche in the modern FPS landscape.

#3975 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 05 August 2021 - 07:43 PM

Amazon Games' New World. Is it on your radar? I believe it's an MMO, so not really my thing personally. Just been hearing and reading about it of late.

Didn't a PR shit storm go down recently when it supposedly bricked expensive hardware during early access beta testing or something ?

#3976 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 06 August 2021 - 12:14 AM

View PostMalankazooie, on 05 August 2021 - 07:43 PM, said:

Amazon Games' New World. Is it on your radar? I believe it's an MMO, so not really my thing personally. Just been hearing and reading about it of late.

Didn't a PR shit storm go down recently when it supposedly bricked expensive hardware during early access beta testing or something ?

yeah, the top-end Nvidia cards of certain manufacturers (EVGA and some other ones) were getting fried. Sounds like a manufacturer's defect, though.
Don't really care for MMOs, but it's Amazon's last big play in the attempt to make a splash in terms of games, so curious how it'll go.

#3977 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 06 August 2021 - 06:52 PM

You guys seen the new Early Access game called Starbase yet?

https://www.starbase..._2021_1440p.jpg

This was the concept video 2 years ago:

This is the trailer for Early access launched last week:

It's being developed by the devs who made the beautiful Trine 2D puzzle platformers. Only, this time they're making an overly ambitious build and combat focused sorta management/survival type of game, like you smacked Space Engineers and Satisfactory together and added some Planetside.

The kicker is that it's an MMO, it's big and it's complicated. It sorta looks like the logical evolution of Minecraft, where all that redstone bullshit eventually took Steve into space after he took an electrical engineering degree. Also he was made into a robot.

I can't believe you can rewire the ships and program the software.

I kinda wanna jump in now to get into the wonder of a developing MMO but on the other hand, like Satisfactory, I really don't want to start playing the game before all the mechanics are added and the sharp edges have been sanded down.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 06 August 2021 - 06:54 PM

#3978 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 08 August 2021 - 06:13 PM

I don't think we have any Fortnite players here do we? I think the demographic for the game is around middle school/high school age? So probably not a game most of us have played?

Anyway, did any of you guys see that Ariana Grande concert in the game? Similar to the Travis Scott concert last year, except I guess they upped the ante according to this write-up and accompanying video.

I killed a demon, cowered before a giant bear, and survived an M.C. Escher world at Ariana Grande's Fortnite concert

* link is to www.pcgamer.com

This post has been edited by Malankazooie: 08 August 2021 - 06:16 PM

#3979 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 09 August 2021 - 06:13 PM

Xbox is doing another Indie stream tomorrow with Twitch; also they're gonna do a thing on the 24th for GamesCom

#3980 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 11 August 2021 - 01:09 AM

Thinking about getting Hades. It's going to be available on the PlayStation Store sometime this month. I think I remember it being discussed here somewhere, but I didn't feel like tracking those posts down. I vaguely recall that it was received with high praise? Is that correct? It's also from the developers of Bastion and Transistor? Is that also correct? I loved those games, so that is a positive edging me towards the purchase. Although I might hold off as GoT Director's Cut is coming this month with Iki Island DLC and I'm for certain going to get that.

Share this topic:

• 218 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users