Ye Big Videogames Thread

#3941 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 24 June 2021 - 06:30 PM

View PostBriar King, on 24 June 2021 - 05:52 PM, said:

Probably all PC bullshit and bending us console only peeps over the counter.

The Legend of Heroes stuff

I would guess Falcom is gonna try to put the games everywhere that's not an Xbox.

The fact that Epic leaked this suggests they might be EGS exclusives for launch? That'll be an odd choice, since all the other Trails and Ys games have been on both Steam and GOG.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#3942 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 25 June 2021 - 11:38 AM

View PostMentalist, on 24 June 2021 - 06:30 PM, said:

The fact that Epic leaked this suggests they might be EGS exclusives for launch? That'll be an odd choice, since all the other Trails and Ys games have been on both Steam and GOG.

They're all coming to Switch, PC and PS4, starting with Zero next year.

No mention of Cold Steel 1 and 2 coming to Switch, though. The fall out with XSEED is really hurting that prospect, sadly.

#3943 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 06 July 2021 - 05:15 PM

Nope. According to what I've read so far there's no actual performance improvements besides a nicer screen when playing handheld, which has no interest for me.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 06 July 2021 - 05:15 PM

#3944 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 07 July 2021 - 10:05 AM

I think I wrung out every drop of enjoyment from Tsushima. Can't imagine playing through the whole thing one more time... Though it is tempting.

#3945 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 08 July 2021 - 07:52 AM

View PostBriar King, on 07 July 2021 - 07:31 PM, said:

I know we will never get another Skies of Arcadia

I'm sad again now
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#3946 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 08 July 2021 - 09:51 PM

Dang guys, that Sony State of Play was rad! I'm not saying that would have beaten Microsoft at E3, but they would have definitely been Microsoft's biggest competition, imo (which based on the other presentations at E3 isn't a high bar to clear, but whatevs).

So much to process, but the show ended with Deathloop. Good criminy it looks sweet! So much Dishonored. The Dishonored vibes, so - . . flippin' . . . - much!

Will probably chime in later on some of the other titles revealed, but I would be remiss if I didn't mention Lost Judgement. Uh, what the hell did I just watch?!

#3947 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 09 July 2021 - 03:50 PM

View PostMalankazooie, on 08 July 2021 - 09:51 PM, said:

Dang guys, that Sony State of Play was rad! I'm not saying that would have beaten Microsoft at E3, but they would have definitely been Microsoft's biggest competition, imo (which based on the other presentations at E3 isn't a high bar to clear, but whatevs).

So much to process, but the show ended with Deathloop. Good criminy it looks sweet! So much Dishonored. The Dishonored vibes, so - . . flippin' . . . - much!

Will probably chime in later on some of the other titles revealed, but I would be remiss if I didn't mention Lost Judgement. Uh, what the hell did I just watch?!

Watched it after I cam eback from the pool last night

Moss II is cool. Never played the original, cuz VR's not my thing (though I think it can be played w/o VR on Steam)

New MP shooter was meh, and Tribes of Midgard.... I honestly don't care for survival/crafting mix. Like, I enjoy an occasional city/village builder, but putting together houses from individual walls and stuff like that... I just don't care for it.
I also can't get excited about a game that promises that there will be timed content. I'm sure it's very old-fashioned of me, but I like being able to play games on my own time, not worrying that if I don't fight Fenris before the end of the month, the opportunity will be gone forever. I understand why people like these games; it's just really not my thing, though.
F.I.S.T. finally getting a release date (after it missed the "June 2021" that was posted on Steam) was cool. That trailer is nice. I've played the Steam demo, and the combat was fun, albeit the game didn't really give off a Metroidvania vibe, despite the devs describing it as such.
Sifu looks nice. I still have little idea of how Jett: the Far Shore will actually play- that one will need its own SoP spotlight, probably.

Sega's titles look appropriateily Japanime weird. Wonder how long the OG Judgement will be a Stadia exclusive before it gets a PC port? I really, really need to try the Yakuza games.

Death Stranding DC looks cool. Maybe I'll wait until that's available on PC before finally playing it.

Deathloop continues to be awesome. I'm probably not gonna buy it Day 1, cuz I still wanna play some earlier Arkane games first, but it's got some of the best bits of Dishonored, Thief and Hitman all rolled into one.

It was a nice presser, nothing crazy though, imo. Bout same level as Squeeenix' show.

#3948 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 09 July 2021 - 04:10 PM

View PostMentalist, on 09 July 2021 - 03:50 PM, said:

View PostMalankazooie, on 08 July 2021 - 09:51 PM, said:

Watched it after I cam eback from the pool last night

Moss II is cool. Never played the original, cuz VR's not my thing (though I think it can be played w/o VR on Steam)

New MP shooter was meh, and Tribes of Midgard.... I honestly don't care for survival/crafting mix. Like, I enjoy an occasional city/village builder, but putting together houses from individual walls and stuff like that... I just don't care for it.
I also can't get excited about a game that promises that there will be timed content. I'm sure it's very old-fashioned of me, but I like being able to play games on my own time, not worrying that if I don't fight Fenris before the end of the month, the opportunity will be gone forever. I understand why people like these games; it's just really not my thing, though.
F.I.S.T. finally getting a release date (after it missed the "June 2021" that was posted on Steam) was cool. That trailer is nice. I've played the Steam demo, and the combat was fun, albeit the game didn't really give off a Metroidvania vibe, despite the devs describing it as such.
Sifu looks nice. I still have little idea of how Jett: the Far Shore will actually play- that one will need its own SoP spotlight, probably.

Sega's titles look appropriateily Japanime weird. Wonder how long the OG Judgement will be a Stadia exclusive before it gets a PC port? I really, really need to try the Yakuza games.

Death Stranding DC looks cool. Maybe I'll wait until that's available on PC before finally playing it.

Deathloop continues to be awesome. I'm probably not gonna buy it Day 1, cuz I still wanna play some earlier Arkane games first, but it's got some of the best bits of Dishonored, Thief and Hitman all rolled into one.

It was a nice presser, nothing crazy though, imo. Bout same level as Squeeenix' show.

More of what stuck with me.

Hunter's Arena: Legends
- A battle royale but paired with fighting game mechanics (so like street fighter? MK?) instead of a shooter? Eh, it looked kind of okay I guess, but not sure how that will translate to a battle royale type of game. I'm not really into battel royale games anyway....so.

FIST: Forged in Shadow Torch
- I very much liked the visuals and aesthetic. Not knowing a lot about it though, I will wait for more. Link from Sony State of Play: https://www.youtube....h?v=E1EHQKECRdE

Sifu
- Awwww yeah! More footage. I'm really interested in this game personally.The progression of your skills as you mature looks impressive. Link: https://www.youtube....h?v=gtlq3LALlpo

JETT: The Far Shore
- Looks like this is a No Man's Sky clone, except more focus on planet exploration and a wider variety of systems specific to that. I could be wrong, but that's my impression.

And Deathloop of course.

#3949 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 09 July 2021 - 04:59 PM

I thought the State of Play was underwhelming. Certainly not a show aimed at E3 WOW-factor. Deathloop was the main attraction. Still looks good but the more they show of it, the more it just looks like a reskinned Dishonored sequel. That's not a bad thing, just sad that we're not getting more Dishonored in the near future.

#3950 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 09 July 2021 - 05:29 PM

Yesterday.

#3951 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 09 July 2021 - 06:11 PM

View PostAptorian, on 09 July 2021 - 04:59 PM, said:

I thought the State of Play was underwhelming. Certainly not a show aimed at E3 WOW-factor. Deathloop was the main attraction. Still looks good but the more they show of it, the more it just looks like a reskinned Dishonored sequel. That's not a bad thing, just sad that we're not getting more Dishonored in the near future.

Dishonored was a set of linear missions. Deathloop is more of a puzzle where you have to figure out the correct sequence of events to kill all 8 targets in a single cycle; and the only way you can do that is by gathering intel about all of them, via attempting and failing multiple loops. Which is a pretty cool premise, because you are essentially trying to do multiple Hitman missions at once, using the powers and skills that you're familiar with from Dishonored. It's a very Arkane-y idea, since it's clearly a major twist on the immersive sim formula that's been around since System Shock, Thief and Deus Ex days.

#3952 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 09 July 2021 - 06:20 PM

I feel like this is just marketing speak. It's a big level in which you collect intel or do a binary action that you then use to do stuff that lets you finish "a mission" or goal within the level. Just like Dishonored.

#3953 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 09 July 2021 - 06:49 PM

It's got a little bit of Running Man in it, in that you are hunted through each part it looks like by that one specific "Visionary" - is that what they are called? (Julianna). "Julianna has entered the arena."

I'm predicting that you gather all the intel required and she shows up and shits on your victory just as you are about to take down a Visionary. Then back to the drawing board.

#3954 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 09 July 2021 - 07:45 PM

View PostAptorian, on 09 July 2021 - 06:20 PM, said:

I feel like this is just marketing speak. It's a big level in which you collect intel or do a binary action that you then use to do stuff that lets you finish "a mission" or goal within the level. Just like Dishonored.

I recall reading that there's actually only one way to execute a full run, so the point of the game is to figure that sequence out.

As in, there are multiple ways in which you can kill specific Visionaries, and even a number of them, but only one way that makes sure you get all 8. Since the day is split into 4 "phases" during which they will move from one area to another, but you are only allowed to visit each area once per loop. Which is why it's more of a puzzle.

#3955 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 15 July 2021 - 06:38 PM

Netflix getting into video games.

"The Netflix of Gaming".... I've heard that somewhere I think.

I wonder how this will start and what the short term strategy is? I'm guessing casual games? The sit on the couch with friends social ("Netflix Games and chill"?) and time wasters that tie-in to their content. Something like a Bejeweled skinned with Stranger Things. Or will they go bigger eventually? Seems like Xbox Game Pass has gobbled up so many titles. Eventually there will probably be the situation with video games (like with traditional programming) where games will come and go from competing services?

#3956 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 15 July 2021 - 07:28 PM

Valve revealed their handheld gaming system today. It's called Steam Deck.

https://store.steamp...d.com/steamdeck

It's basically the Nintendo Switch only made with parts that weren't already dated during the last generation. If I actually cared about handheld gaming I would be over the moon about this thing.

Nintendo are lucky they've got those core IPs.

Valve must be kicking themselves that this thing wasn't ready last year when the pandemic was in full swing. On the other hand it seems dreadful to launch yet another piece of hardware during the chip shortage.

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 15 July 2021 - 07:32 PM

#3957 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 15 July 2021 - 08:15 PM

A dock isn't a priority. Why would it be, it would largely be an ornamental addition. Just put a cable into the TV from the Deck instead.

#3958 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 15 July 2021 - 08:34 PM

I think they'd probably suggest you buy a PC instead of trying to hook up a controller to the deck.

I don't think Nintendo owns the concept of detachable controllers. It's more that detachable controllers are pointless unless you're focused on Wii like games. Detachable controllers are a failure point. Better to avoid them unless necessary. Also Valve already produces wand like peripherals for their VR headsets you could use instead. If you were rich.

#3959 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 16 July 2021 - 12:47 AM

You can use BT to hook up any controller to it, if that's your thing. This is gonna be literally a mini-PC, to the point where you can wipe the pre-installed Linux SteamOS and install Windows on it, and use it as an actual PC, if that's your thing. (Also, yes, it could run various emulators, or stream GamePass games, if you"re running Windows 10 on it) Its specs are comparable to an XSS, so it can also be used as a productivity tool, if needed. For 500 bucks for the NVME SSD build, the thing's a bargain.

Valve is gonna make their own dock, but since it's got a standard USB-C port, any off the shelf dock/USB hub will work just as well, which is why it's not a priority.

Realistically, though, this thing is aimed at ppl who already have huge Steam libraries, moreso than newcomers. That's why the pre-registration to fend off scalpers requires you to have a Steam account and to have made purchases at least last month, or earlier- so you can't just use bots to create new accounts to spoof the system.

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 16 July 2021 - 12:49 AM

#3960 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 16 July 2021 - 02:38 AM

View PostBriar King, on 16 July 2021 - 01:15 AM, said:

I’m interested in it because The Legend of Heroes games should be available right? I don’t do hand held so it would definitely need to be hooked to tv. As that’s the case I’d go for the $300 one without the anti glare glass.

I’ve never done a Steam thingy though.

The good thing about Steam is, yes, it's free. And yes, all the Legend of Heroes game available on (or are coming to) Steam.

You might have to wait until it's actually out in retail to buy one if you don't already have a Steam account, though.

Share this topic:

• 218 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users