• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Concerts Who have you seen live?

#261 User is offline   Serenity 

• Saki!!!!!
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 22 June 2016 - 10:05 AM

Went to see Haken on their Affinitour a few weeks back. Great gig - they're getting better and better.

#262 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 23 June 2016 - 05:33 PM

View PostSerenity, on 22 June 2016 - 10:05 AM, said:

Went to see Haken on their Affinitour a few weeks back. Great gig - they're getting better and better.

Dang man I missed that. They were only playing in two places, both in the South and I couldn't get down there... Love them so much, so that kind of hurt to miss it...

I am going to see Kamasi Washington next week, performing The Epic. So freaking excited!!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#263 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 23 June 2016 - 08:58 PM

Seeing die antwoord in July. Pretty excited. Might have to stab someone.
Error: Signature not valid

#264 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 27 February 2020 - 04:11 PM

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE is touring with support from RUN THE JEWELS this summer...

Like if that's not a fucking BADASS ticket, I don't know what is.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#265 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 27 February 2020 - 05:44 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

I dunno. I fell out of paying attention to anything Rage has been up a long time ago. Have they become one of those caricature, novelty, nostalgia bands?

I can envisage how their set goes:

About midway through the show

Lead singer: "Fuck yeah New Haven! We're here to rock your socks off! What song do you mother fuckers want to hear next!"
Crowd: "Bulls on Parade!"
Lead Singer "We already played that!"
Crowd: "Yeah, we know, play it again!"

It's seems rather transparent to me, that they just so happen to be touring during the presidential election year. As much as they like to put out an image of subversive, deeply political rock band, they chase them duckets just like anyone else. I like guitarist Tom Morello though. Some devout shred heads who are all about technique and fingering adeptness / neck/fret acrobatics would argue some of his signature playing is gimmicky, but hey, it's his stamp and signature on his style, so repect

#266 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 27 February 2020 - 09:42 PM

Yes and no.

Given the fractured nature of the bands history and last year's dissolution of Prophets I'd say they've finally got a place again where they can tour together. In 2/3 years they'll probably take another break. Kind of wish GnR had went through this kind of cycle, instead of Chinese democracy being released

#267 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 28 February 2020 - 12:16 AM

It also means that I get to see this done live.

https://youtu.be/PkGwI7nGehA
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#268 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 18 July 2022 - 02:47 PM

Saw Alanis last night (Garbage was the opener). The very epitome of a Nostalgia show...at probably the WORST concert venue in Toronto (The acoustics are shit because it's outdoor and on the lake).

Alanis can still belt out her songs with verve even as she approaches 50, so I don't have a complaint about her....BUT.....

The place was rammed, and for all the hits people stood (I hate people who stand the whole show at a concert they paid for a a seat for...sit down now and then you idiots)....and collectively BELTED out the songs 9 times out of 10 drowning out Alanis. FOH could not get her vocal levels to deal with the decibels of the crowd OBNOXIOUSLY caterwauling. and during songs like Ironic she did the whole "hold the mike at the crowd" and so she sand about 25% of my fave song...the crowd sang the other 75%.

I'm trying to figure out what I spent north of $250/ticket on...because it seems like I spent that to hear everyone around me badly sing her music like it's a campfire singalong at a level that drowned her out.

What a shitshow. The ONLY saving grace is that half the crowd was not there during Garbage, so I could actually HEAR Shirley Manson during their set, so that was nice.

Maybe I'm spoiled by all the metal shows and other lesser rocks shows I've been to where you can actually hear the act?'

Worse, at every Coldplay show I've ever been to the crowd has sung along, but it's NEVER been deafeningly bad enough to drown out the artist...same with Taylor Swift....whole crowd sang nearly every song, but I could still hear Taylor!...

So consider me annoyed.

#269 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 18 July 2022 - 03:18 PM

Well that's a black fly in your Chardonnay. Posted Image
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#270 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 18 July 2022 - 04:37 PM

Damn. Thats like rain on your wedding day.

Saw TOOL a few weeks ago. I'm convinced Danny Carey is a cyborg. Or has had some kind of futuristic physical enhancements. The man is amazing.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#271 User is online   Azath Vitr (D'ivers 

• Ascendant

Posted 18 July 2022 - 05:12 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 18 July 2022 - 02:47 PM, said:

Saw Alanis last night (Garbage was the opener). The very epitome of a Nostalgia show...at probably the WORST concert venue in Toronto (The acoustics are shit because it's outdoor and on the lake).

Alanis can still belt out her songs with verve even as she approaches 50, so I don't have a complaint about her....BUT.....

The place was rammed, and for all the hits people stood (I hate people who stand the whole show at a concert they paid for a a seat for...sit down now and then you idiots)....and collectively BELTED out the songs 9 times out of 10 drowning out Alanis. FOH could not get her vocal levels to deal with the decibels of the crowd OBNOXIOUSLY caterwauling. and during songs like Ironic she did the whole "hold the mike at the crowd" and so she sand about 25% of my fave song...the crowd sang the other 75%.

I'm trying to figure out what I spent north of $250/ticket on...because it seems like I spent that to hear everyone around me badly sing her music like it's a campfire singalong at a level that drowned her out.

What a shitshow. The ONLY saving grace is that half the crowd was not there during Garbage, so I could actually HEAR Shirley Manson during their set, so that was nice.

Maybe I'm spoiled by all the metal shows and other lesser rocks shows I've been to where you can actually hear the act?'

Worse, at every Coldplay show I've ever been to the crowd has sung along, but it's NEVER been deafeningly bad enough to drown out the artist...same with Taylor Swift....whole crowd sang nearly every song, but I could still hear Taylor!...

So consider me annoyed.

Those big shows tend to have the vocalist at such a distance from almost everyone in the audience and the speakers so loud that you wouldn't be hearing her raw unprocessed voice anyway (not counting your brain's own processing or venue reverberations etc.). If what you really wanted was the highest quality music you'd spend that money on a decent sound system and listen to her best take(s) with the best possible mixing and effects. Or if you wanted to hear a new version of the song no one had ever heard before---she could just do a few new takes, choose the best, send it for ideal processing, and then send them out first to people who paid most. Or if you wanted to preserve the possibility she might mess up---or wanted to hear it 'as she's singing' it---livestream would probably be better than being in a noisy venue. If you wanted to also be able to show your appreciation by clapping or screaming at her or whatever that could also be arranged via livestream.

Or if you want to feel the music through huge speakers that you couldn't use without bothering your family or your neighbors... the physical presence of the performer is not necessary. Could just have a venue with great speakers play her music or a livestream of it---maybe give you a private room to blast the subwoofers.

This post has been edited by Azath Vitr (D'ivers: 18 July 2022 - 05:12 PM

#272 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 18 July 2022 - 05:19 PM

View PostAzath Vitr (D, on 18 July 2022 - 05:12 PM, said:

Those big shows tend to have the vocalist at such a distance from almost everyone in the audience and the speakers so loud that you wouldn't be hearing her raw unprocessed voice anyway

I would agree, and especially agree as this venue is NOTORIOUSLY shitty for sound and acoustics...but I've seen FoH nail the mix at certain shows there to make it still pleasurable as an experience....this was without a doubt the messiest show I've been to there in the 20+ years I've seen summer shows there.

But yeah, you're mostly right anyways. It was my wife's birthday gift, the only thing she wanted this year so we had to go.

#273 User is offline   Malankazooie 

• Elder God

Posted 18 July 2022 - 05:44 PM

You paid $250 to hear your favorite songs.
Only for them to be ruined by a bunch of morons.
Isn't it ironic, don't you think?

#274 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 09 March 2023 - 01:40 PM

I couldn't find a theater thread, so I'm using this.

I saw a traveling production of Hadestown that had sign language interpreters for the last day of the show. The play is incredible. The songs are catchy and often deeply meaningful. The actors did a fantastic job - different than the original cast or the recording, yet quite nice.

I think this blows Hamilton out of the water and I'm directly comparing them because that's the next production at my local theater that'll have sign.

I was legit crying during the first Wait for Me because the song plus signing was incredibly beautiful and moving.

The interpreters did a superb job of conveying who was singing with their body language - Hades had his own set of motions/posture, Eurydice, Orpheus, Hermes, Persephone.

This post has been edited by amphibian: 09 March 2023 - 01:42 PM

I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#275 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 17 July 2023 - 06:39 PM

Emimen popped out to the roar of the crowd at Ed Sheeran's show in Detroit. Amazing! This would have been equivalent to Taylor Swift bringing out Bryan Adams to sing Summer of '69 at the Canadian date I was at for the Reputation tour.

You literally cannot buy this kind of crowd elation. So cool. Plus, I like Ed Sheeran and Emimen, so the would have been sweet.

#276 User is offline   TheRetiredBridgeburner 

• House Knight

Posted 17 July 2023 - 08:47 PM

View Postamphibian, on 09 March 2023 - 01:40 PM, said:

I saw a traveling production of Hadestown that had sign language interpreters for the last day of the show. The play is incredible. The songs are catchy and often deeply meaningful. The actors did a fantastic job - different than the original cast or the recording, yet quite nice.

I think this blows Hamilton out of the water and I'm directly comparing them because that's the next production at my local theater that'll have sign.

I was legit crying during the first Wait for Me because the song plus signing was incredibly beautiful and moving.

The interpreters did a superb job of conveying who was singing with their body language - Hades had his own set of motions/posture, Eurydice, Orpheus, Hermes, Persephone.

That's wonderful! Wait for Me always makes me well up on the cast recording, I dread to think what I'd be like seeing it live. It's finally coming to the UK early next year, I'm very excited!

View PostQuickTidal, on 17 July 2023 - 06:39 PM, said:

Emimen popped out to the roar of the crowd at Ed Sheeran's show in Detroit. Amazing! This would have been equivalent to Taylor Swift bringing out Bryan Adams to sing Summer of '69 at the Canadian date I was at for the Reputation tour.

You literally cannot buy this kind of crowd elation. So cool. Plus, I like Ed Sheeran and Emimen, so the would have been sweet.

How awesome! I love that song :D
- Wyrd bið ful aræd -

#277 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 18 July 2023 - 03:05 AM

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 17 July 2023 - 08:47 PM, said:

That's wonderful! Wait for Me always makes me well up on the cast recording, I dread to think what I'd be like seeing it live. It's finally coming to the UK early next year, I'm very excited!

I saw the Broadway production of Hadestown. I loved that one too. I think Eva Noblezada is a big time star - even on Broadway where everyone is very good at what they do, she's special.

You'll love the UK version.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#278 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 18 July 2023 - 12:31 PM

View Postamphibian, on 18 July 2023 - 03:05 AM, said:

View PostTheRetiredBridgeburner, on 17 July 2023 - 08:47 PM, said:

I saw the Broadway production of Hadestown. I loved that one too. I think Eva Noblezada is a big time star - even on Broadway where everyone is very good at what they do, she's special.

You'll love the UK version.

Chiming in, my wife and her father coincidentally saw this on Friday night in Toronto and they both LOVED it!

#279 User is offline   Nicodimas 

• Soletaken
  • https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XbGs_qK2PQA

Posted 13 October 2023 - 08:55 PM

Something good to take your girl/partner too. My girl is more of a Whovian than Star wars fan. I know I know ..terrible problem to have..ha

The empire strips back.. go see it. I think she cried during wrecking ball lol. At first she wasn't super impressed ..they had chewbecca thongs for instance and caught a huge eye roll and was like this really sold out?!?! ..but she recommended it to her girlfriend and was impressed with the dancing (she likes dancing).

Our next thing will Harry Potter and half blood price at a symphony. I did this for Lord of the rings way fun.
-If it's ka it'll come like a wind, and your plans will stand before it no more than a barn before a cyclone

Share this topic:

• 14 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users