• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Concerts Who have you seen live?

#1 User is offline   Tapper 

• Lover of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 21 February 2010 - 02:46 AM

Seems we don't have a topic like this yet (apart from the weekends of epiciciciciness thread), which is a damned shame.

To kick off:

Tonight I went to the Lowlands Llaunch, which is the kick-off party for the 3 day alternative music & art festival Campingflight to Lowlands (august).

Saw live:

Selah Sue: flemish songwriter, girl of about 5 foot something, voice like Duffy, can do skat-reggae like a Jamaican dude of 6 foot 10.

Blood Red Shoes: reversed and very young White Stripes from Brighton, only these can sing. Intriguing lady singer. Awesome punk rock, I'm very impressed especially since they played new material and did it flawlessly.

Florence and the Machine: psychadelic metal/rock. I'm not smart enough to understand it and left after 2 songs. Thought it sucks but around 1500 people say i'm dead wrong.

Blue Grass Boogiemen: youre never going to see these guys, unfortunately, as they practically only perform in haystacks in Brabant, Holland. Still, lots of blue grass versions of Hank Williams (THE Hank), good entertainment.

Black Devil Disco Club: didn;t get this one, either. DJ who plays dance/disco but it seemed ridiculous to me.

BoemKlatsch: oh man. Five DJs who jump up and down more than the entire crowd. One of my favourite live acts, and they prove it time and time again that they can get the crowd going. This time was no difference with the previous times I saw them.
Everyone is entitled to his own wrong opinion. - Lizrad

#2 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 21 February 2010 - 03:50 AM

I've seen a fair few good bands over the past couple of years.

Iron Maiden - These guys fully deserve their status as legends of rock. Was in the mosh at Rod Laver Arena and it was insane. I would have gladly paid double the amount I did, it was that worth it.

Rise Against - dunno how to describe these guys (post-hardcore?), but they're fairly well known, so I won't bother. Wasn't in the mosh, but it was still pretty sweet. Setlist was perfect too.

Karnivool - I'm sure a few people have seen me raving about these guys after Tiste and CI introduced them a while back. Seen them twice in the past few months, and loved every second of both performances.

The Mars Volta - these guys were so crazy, yet so awesome.

Mastodon - As Tiste has recently affirmed, this band is simply breathtaking live for those who like this sort of music. One of the best live acts I've seen.

Muse - I think these guys are a tiny bit overrated at the moment, but I've seen them twice now and they're still an amazing act.

Midnight Juggernauts - dunno how to describe these guys, since all the instruments are played live through a range of samplers, pads and various acoustic instruments, but they are a great act live. If ever they tour outside Oz, I recommend seeing them.

Hilltop Hoods - Aussie hip hop band. Their show was a bit meh, to be honest. Good band, just didn't get into it.

That's most of the ones I've seen this year (bar Maiden, which was Feb '08), for starters.

RE: Florence and the Machine - 1501 people say you're dead wrong. :) They're bloody awesome. Haven't seen them live though, they might not be as good live.

This post has been edited by MTS: 21 February 2010 - 03:50 AM

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#3 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 21 February 2010 - 03:57 AM

Jimmy Buffet
Dave Matthews Band
Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds
Farm Aid (Willie Nelson, John Mellencamp, Neal Young) w/ Doobie Brothers there as well.
Alan Jackson & Montgomery Gentry
Hank Williams Jr.

Hell. I've got a lot of fuzzy memories. I'm sure there are more. Like, I think I attended a Warped Tour event, but am not 100% certain. Yay booze!

This post has been edited by H.D.: 21 February 2010 - 03:58 AM

Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#4 User is offline   anothevilbadguy 

• Sergeant

Posted 21 February 2010 - 04:35 AM

Well, I have been going to at least 40 gigs a year for the last 6 years (in 2006 I went to over 100). So, I have been to plenty. In the last few months:

These New Puritans: Who where surprisingly good. Odd mix of electro rock, with orchestral stuff.

Future of the Left: Really fun rock band, with the funniest lyrics of any band I know.

Pulled Apart By Horses: seen them quite a lot recently, really good metally rock band.

Fanfarlo: Sort of cross between Beirut and Arcade Fire.

Los Campesinos: Really good band, but bit of a shit night, as got thrown out for looking drunk. (tut)

Hopefully will see Japandroids on Tuesday, a really good garage band from Vancouver, but have an exam the next day, so probably will have to give it a miss.

p.s. Blood Red Shoes are pretty awesome, seen them a few times, and probably see them again in March. Might go to Lowlands this year, was good last time I went, and I want to go to some festival on the continent this summer.

#5 User is offline   Stalker 

• House Knight

Posted 21 February 2010 - 06:57 AM

I've seen...

Muse
U2
We the Kings
The Cab
Sing it Loud (these last three are all relatively unknown bands that my friend took me to see. They were pretty good even though it isn't my style of music)

and I currently have tickets for the next 4 months to see

Muse
Coheed and Cambria (twice)
Dave Matthews Band
Mastodon
Silversun Pickups
Warped Tour (about 7 of the bands playing are ones I really want to see, so that is awesome)

So I am incredibly excited for all the epic music that is going to happen. Hopefully nothing gets cancelled.

#6 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 21 February 2010 - 08:00 AM

Main ones:

Metallica
U2
Pearl Jam
Nirvana
Soundgarden
Tea Party
Garbage
Suede
Offspring

plus a few more I can't recall right now. Metallica at Sydney Entertainment Centre March 31 1993 was the best experience of my life that was vertical and sober. :)
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#7 User is offline   alt146 

• Here comes the Strongbad!

Posted 21 February 2010 - 08:20 AM

As far as international bands go I've seen

Muse
Metallica
Seether
Korn
Collective Soul

along with a couple of other bands like Good Charlotte, 30 Seconds to Mars and some others that I've forgotten about. Missed out on seeing The Offspring when I was in highschool :) Big name bands dont come over very often and when some do they're rarely bands I actually want to see. I've seen more local than you can shake a stick at though, there's two or three festivals every year that feature 50+ bands, I always try make it to one of them. Notable names include

The Narrow, Fokofpolisiekar, Aking, Die Heuwels Fantasties, Lark, Zebra and Giraffe, 16 Stitch, Wickhead and KidofDoom.
[url="http://www.alt146.zzl.org"]MafiaManager[/url]: My Mafia Modding tool - Now at v0.3b

With great power comes a great integral of energy over time.

#8 User is offline   Gladius 

• Corporal
  • Interests:music, movies, literature

Posted 21 February 2010 - 09:14 AM

The Black Crows
Green Day
My Chemical Romance
Weezer
The Foo Fighters
Fuel
The Kaiser Chiefs
Cracker
The Gin Blossoms
The Spin Doctors
The Wall Flowers
George Thoroughgood and the Destroyers
Z.Z. Top
Yes
Foghat
Mountain
38 Special
Can you dig it ?

#9 User is offline   Tapper 

Posted 21 February 2010 - 01:58 PM

well, if we're going to list all the notable stuff we've seen :):

From the top of my head, of the past years:
Metallica
Maiden
Beastie Boys
House of Pain/ La Coka Nostra / Everlast (3x)
Immortal Technique
Fun Lovin' Criminals (x4)
Nouvelle Vague (x5)

Saw a lot more, mostly small bands, but I just can't remember... alcohol is bad for me :)
also a whole slew of national/international djs.
I've got tickets for:

FLC (5th time I see them live)
New Young Pony Club
DeWolff (dutch dirty funk)
and maybe Groove Armada at 5 Days Off.

#10 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 21 February 2010 - 02:25 PM

Maiden, Foos, QOTSA, Manson, will have to check a list of Reading 2005 for the others I've forgotten. Last band I saw was Bloc Party last year for some reason.

Also, anyone else seen Kings of Leon live? Because I have and they are SO INCREDIBLY BORING ON STAGE. A CD player with their album on random would be more exciting. And less predictable.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#11 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 21 February 2010 - 02:38 PM

Red Hot Chili Peppers
Foo Fighters
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
The Cranberries and Collective Soul-Collective Sould blew the berries out of the stadium.
Aerosmith
Green Day
Pearl Jam x2
Weezer and Tenacious D- Weezer sucked, the D was awesome.
Blink 182 and Bad Religion
Hank Williams III
Alan Jackson and Allison Kraus x2
Pat Green x3
Dixie Chicks
Cory Morrow
Trent Summar and the New Row Mob x3
Aaron Tippin
Confederate Railroad
Cross Canadien Ragweed
Lance Miller
Lost Trailers

I'm sure theres more i cant remember, or dont remember.

Had tickets in college for Rage Against the Machine with The Beastie Boys but stupid Mike D broke his arm.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#12 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 21 February 2010 - 03:48 PM

So we're going down that road? Ok.

Metallica
KISS
The Who
Neil Young
Blind Guardian (so very disappointing live...)
Vanishing Point
A Place to Bury Strangers
Brian Jonestown Massacre
All American Rejects
Grinspoon
The Wombats
Dallas Crane
Modest Mouse
Foo Fighters
Vascoe Era
The Prodigy
Bullet For My Valentine
Arctic Monkeys
Birds of Tokyo
Cog

Aaaand many moooore!
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#13 User is offline   Tapper 

Posted 21 February 2010 - 05:40 PM

View PostMTS, on 21 February 2010 - 03:48 PM, said:

Hehe, I was actually intending for the thread to contain short concert descriptions/opinions of stuff we'd 'just' been through, rather than lists, but I guess that purpose was turned pretty soon, nor was I very clear at 3.30 in the morning and under influence :)

#14 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 21 February 2010 - 05:44 PM

View PostTapper, on 21 February 2010 - 05:40 PM, said:

Hehe, I was actually intending for the thread to contain short concert descriptions/opinions of stuff we'd 'just' been through, rather than lists, but I guess that purpose was turned pretty soon, nor was I very clear at 3.30 in the morning and under influence :)

I knew what you were talking about, since you lamented not having a topic like the Pub or the what's making me happy thread where we can share our drunken misadventures. And it will probably evolve into that in time, once people get their lists down and start adding to them.

But I promise to stay on topic next time. :)

#15 User is offline   alt146 

Posted 21 February 2010 - 07:25 PM

View PostMTS, on 21 February 2010 - 05:44 PM, said:

I knew what you were talking about, since you lamented not having a topic like the Pub or the what's making me happy thread where we can share our drunken misadventures. And it will probably evolve into that in time, once people get their lists down and start adding to them.

But I promise to stay on topic next time. :)

I'm going to a day festival on the 6th, I shall report back on what I hope to be an awesome day out. Seriously jealous of the Capetonians who get to go to the main festival, the lineup looks ridiculously good.

Also, I'm super jealous of all you people who can go to actual concerts, seriously considered auctioning body parts for plane tickets when I saw the lineup to Big Day Out two or three years ago (whicever one had Tool, Muse, Pearl Jam and the Chilli Peppers)
[url="http://www.alt146.zzl.org"]MafiaManager[/url]: My Mafia Modding tool - Now at v0.3b

#16 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 21 February 2010 - 07:37 PM

View Postalt146, on 21 February 2010 - 07:25 PM, said:

View PostMTS, on 21 February 2010 - 05:44 PM, said:

But I promise to stay on topic next time. :p

I'm going to a day festival on the 6th, I shall report back on what I hope to be an awesome day out. Seriously jealous of the Capetonians who get to go to the main festival, the lineup looks ridiculously good.

Also, I'm super jealous of all you people who can go to actual concerts, seriously considered auctioning body parts for plane tickets when I saw the lineup to Big Day Out two or three years ago (whicever one had Tool, Muse, Pearl Jam and the Chilli Peppers)

It was Big Day Out 2007. I'm annoyed I missed that one, and I've been to every one since. Still, it's pretty much one of the best music festivals in the world (no, I'm not biased, not at all! :) ), so if you're ever in Oz, go in late January so you can witness it in all its glory. It's been getting more and more pop-dance-indie focused lately though, which is annoying. I would have preferred the earlier lineups that were more rock-oriented.

#17 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 21 February 2010 - 07:54 PM

Most of the bands I've seen you wouldn't know, so I'll just keep it to the ones you might: Therion and Tristania. Bands don't go visiting these lands often, plus I'm usually pretty unlucky with gig dates: I've missed two Opeth tours in the past several years due to uni stuff I had to stay home for. I've also missed Guano Apes in similar circumstances. Annoying.

Anyway, this summer I'm planning to visit the Opener Festival, where, among others, I'll Kasabian and Pearl Jam.
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#18 User is offline   alt146 

Posted 21 February 2010 - 07:55 PM

If I could even remotely have gone I would have been more than annoyed at missing it :) One of my missions in life is still to see Tool play live, but I doubt I'll be able to afford an overseas holiday for a good couple of years still :)

At least the South African music scene has picked up a lot over the last couple of years and the bigger festival organisers have started programs to swop artists with overseas festivals. Our headlining acts only get middle-of-the-lineup people from festivals like Pikkelpop, but it's good exposure and hopefully big bands overseas will start to realise there is actually a decent market here.

#19 User is offline   Captain Beardface 

• Mason of Serc
  • Interests:Rugby, Darts, Quality Beer, Heavy Metal... Hard Rock in general

Posted 22 February 2010 - 02:06 AM

Well I saw Clutch several months back and I must say, other than a couple of douche bags in the crowd, it was the best small venue show I've ever been to. And Clutch was absolutely flawless on stage, they are one of the most underrated bands ever, every album rocks out...

And I am amp'd to see Mastodon in April at the same venue that I saw Clutch at, I'll pop back in and post my impressions after the show...

This post has been edited by MuttonChops: 17 April 2010 - 07:22 PM

Monsignor:...Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.
Connor: [as the brothers exit the church] I do believe the monsignor's finally got the point.
Murphy: Aye.

Boondock Saints

#20 User is offline   Black Winged Lord 

• Sergeant

Posted 22 February 2010 - 03:51 AM

Last gig was Pearl Jam couple months ago. By far the best sing-along concert I've caught.
Ben Harper sucked. Hard.

Best gig is a toss up between Disturbed in 2005, and Foo Fighters in 2007.

Metallica rock too hard to even put on a list, unfortunately can only remember bout 30 secs of their 2 hours.

Share this topic:

• 14 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users