Malazan Empire: A soletaken WHAT? And Olar Ethil is WHO? - Malazan Empire

• 10 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A soletaken WHAT? And Olar Ethil is WHO? all things shapeshifty and goddish... Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Not much

Posted 20 January 2010 - 04:27 PM

I'm sure but the point is that Raest had the 90% of his power in a acorn yet still pulverized the dragons and made Rake piss himself( but I discount that as a GotMism).

And yes I think that the fact that it was Hood that sat on the Throne of Ice and led the Jaghut against Death make him the big man among the Jaghut and not Raest(or Gothos ). Although it could simply be that Hood had more of the leader personality than Raest the psycopath or Gothos the asocial)
Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#22 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 21 January 2010 - 10:24 AM

Or that Gothos already at that point had lost interest.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#23 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars

Posted 21 January 2010 - 10:37 AM

Probably in age of hunting young Toblakai girls. Frakin old pervert...:p
Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimistic´s worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. It´s bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#24 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 21 January 2010 - 02:28 PM

Sure, but we have no reason to think any of them are draconic.

Unless someone did that 'deny his draconic blood' thing Andarist ref'd back in HoC. Still, i can't see Raest doing that. Hood, maybe, Gothos, maybe.

- Abyss, ...bets it was Gothos after a sheboing with Tiam, because that dude will shag ANYTHING...
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#25 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 21 January 2010 - 08:45 PM

... and we all know Tiam is the village bicycle.

#26 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 29 January 2010 - 04:26 PM

Is it just me then, who on reading that line in the books for the first time, thought, 'What, someone whose Soletaken form is that of a Jaghut?' Which is a completely nonsensical thing to think, given that the context was Eleint Soletaken, but still. It's what I thought.
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#27 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 29 January 2010 - 05:06 PM

View Postjitsukerr, on 29 January 2010 - 04:26 PM, said:

Is it just me then, who on reading that line in the books for the first time, thought, 'What, someone whose Soletaken form is that of a Jaghut?' Which is a completely nonsensical thing to think, given that the context was Eleint Soletaken, but still. It's what I thought.

Considering Moby was a massive demon with a Bhokarala soletaken form , and Telorast and Curdle were... umm... two dragons with a single Tiste Andii soletaken form... or something like that... that's not as far out as it seems.

Tho when it comes to draconic soletaken in particular, there seems to have to be a direct link to draconic blood for it to happen, whereas it seems unlikely that a dragon drinking Jaghut blood becomes a soletaken Jaghut.

- Abyss, ...notes Moby totally got ripped off in the veered form department...

#28 User is offline   Bauchelain the Evil 

• Greatest necromancer ever
  • Not much

Posted 29 January 2010 - 05:10 PM

I think both those cases are special.

Dessimbelackis did one of his crazy, obscure, Chaotic rituals to turn Curdle and Telorast in a Tiste Andii. As for Moby, I always thought it was more of a magical geas than choice. Just like with Withal's Nachts

This post has been edited by Bauchelain the Evil: 29 January 2010 - 05:12 PM

Adept of Team Quick Ben

I greet you as guests and so will not crush the life from you and devour your soul with peals of laughter. No, instead, I will make tea-Gothos

#29 User is offline   Powder 

• Fist

Posted 29 January 2010 - 05:16 PM

WILD SPECULATION AND CONSPIRACY THEORY FOLLOWING CAPS LOCK!

How's this for foreshadowing-- Gothos is dragon soletaken BEFORE shagging some TTT and spawning Icarium. In the last book we see Iccy piloting a GIANT ROCK DRAGON. In the last book we are going to see him as a GIANT DRAGON WHO ROCKS. KCCM are the first children of dragons, Iccy can fly their piece, Iccy is a dragon. Gothos also had a slave in SD making azaths. How else could he have a slave there than he put him there? He had access to the warren, rediculously powerful beings therein, whos to say he didn't sex tiam in payment for letting his little azath builder stay?

WILD SPECULATION HAS CEASED

Powder

#30 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 29 January 2010 - 09:38 PM

View PostMorgoth, on 20 January 2010 - 11:01 AM, said:

Tiss a good point. Raest might be the most powerful individual we've come across (perhaps apart from Icarium)... Still I'd imagine the Jaghut ruler of the Ice Hold whom then ascended/was promoted sideways to become lord of death also should be in the upper echelons.

Raest only refers to Hood as the Death-Wanderer, though, which may indicate that before Raest was interred Hood wasn't yet God of Death (or Ice-King either, for that matter). Might be Hood is a lot more powerful now.

View PostAbyss, on 29 January 2010 - 05:06 PM, said:

View Postjitsukerr, on 29 January 2010 - 04:26 PM, said:

Considering Moby was a massive demon with a Bhokarala soletaken form , and Telorast and Curdle were... umm... two dragons with a single Tiste Andii soletaken form... or something like that... that's not as far out as it seems.

Tho when it comes to draconic soletaken in particular, there seems to have to be a direct link to draconic blood for it to happen, whereas it seems unlikely that a dragon drinking Jaghut blood becomes a soletaken Jaghut.

- Abyss, ...notes Moby totally got ripped off in the veered form department...

Moby was bound into a bhokaral Mammot or Baruk - apparently bhokaral are great "vessels" for housing your domestic demons. Baruk wrote a whole treatise about it.

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#31 User is offline   Urizen 

• First Sword

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:24 PM

View PostD, on 29 January 2010 - 09:38 PM, said:

View PostMorgoth, on 20 January 2010 - 11:01 AM, said:

Tiss a good point. Raest might be the most powerful individual we've come across (perhaps apart from Icarium)... Still I'd imagine the Jaghut ruler of the Ice Hold whom then ascended/was promoted sideways to become lord of death also should be in the upper echelons.

Raest only refers to Hood as the Death-Wanderer, though, which may indicate that before Raest was interred Hood wasn't yet God of Death (or Ice-King either, for that matter). Might be Hood is a lot more powerful now.

-

Raest might not know who and what Hood is and thu's disregarding his power. Conversely Hood might not really care enough about Raest to be bothered since death comes to everyone no matter what Raest does in his "empire".
Raest is, probably, from the time after the Jaghut society. From Raest in his PoV in GOTM we learn that he's suprised when the other Jaghut comes after him as a community, indicating that Raest is used to the solitary way of jaghut living.
Hood on the other hand sat on the Throne of Ice during the period when the Jaghut lived in society. His war on death most likely a leading cause as to what led to the disitegartion of Jaghut society.
" Ah, I despair, or I would if I cared enough. No, instead, I will make some ashcakes. Which I will not share."

#32 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:37 PM

Gothos on Raest:

"He was one of my more annoying offspring." Paraphrased.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#33 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:42 PM

View PostH.D., on 29 January 2010 - 10:37 PM, said:

Gothos on Raest:

"He was one of my more annoying offspring." Paraphrased.

More like "annoying relations", maybe a cousin twice removed or something.

He's probably not directly related. Also, Gothos dismissal of Raest doesn't necessarily mean that Raest isn't in Gothos league. It just means that Gothos is an arrogant bastard, a trait found to be very common in Jaghuts.

#34 User is offline   WhiskeyJackDaniels 

• Emperor

Posted 29 January 2010 - 11:29 PM

TtH page 263:

"Raest was the name of the Tyrant we defeated. One of my more obnoxiously arrogant offspring. I did not mourn his fall. In any case, unlike Raest, I was never the strutting kind. It is a sign of weakness to shine blinding light with one's own power. Pathetic diffidence. A need that undermines. I was more...secure."

Personally, I think Raest was a direct offspring of Gothos, and definitely could have been stronger. But it's impossible to tell either way.
So, you're the historian who survived the Chain of Dogs.
Actually, I didn't.

It seems you stand alone.
It was ever thus.

#35 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 30 January 2010 - 08:28 AM

Okay he was a child of Gothos then, my bad. But yeah, no reason to believe that Gothos is stronger than Raest.

#36 User is offline   foolio 

• Emperor
  • about as popular as a whores dose of the face eater

Posted 09 February 2010 - 04:14 PM

just caught this on the reread...
DoD, UK hb, p72, Udinaas is recalling his recent chat with Silchas about the nature of the elient. Silch was bemoaning the nasty nature of draconic soletaken...

"Rare the blood-fouled who managed to overcome that innate megalomania. 'Ah, Udinaas,' Silchas Ruin had said, 'My brother perhaps, Anomander. Osserc, maybe, maybe not. There was a Bonecaster, once... and a soletaken Jaghut..."

so am I to assume that Silchas is just wrong about the megalomania? We know of Orfantal and his sister, Korlat, among others that are extremely loyal followers of anomander. Not only do they follow anomander but they dont chafe at each others company either. Or are these just inaccuracies in the books? Also we are given hints that Nimander and company are all Soletaken Eleint but the group has no problem following nimander...
I have seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter at the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in the rain...."

#37 User is offline   Fox 

• Sergeant

Posted 09 February 2010 - 05:15 PM

View Postfoolio, on 09 February 2010 - 04:14 PM, said:

DoD, UK hb, p72, Udinaas is recalling his recent chat with Silchas about the nature of the elient. Silch was bemoaning the nasty nature of draconic soletaken...

"Rare the blood-fouled who managed to overcome that innate megalomania. 'Ah, Udinaas,' Silchas Ruin had said, 'My brother perhaps, Anomander. Osserc, maybe, maybe not. There was a Bonecaster, once... and a soletaken Jaghut..."

so am I to assume that Silchas is just wrong about the megalomania? We know of Orfantal and his sister, Korlat, among others that are extremely loyal followers of anomander. Not only do they follow anomander but they dont chafe at each others company either. Or are these just inaccuracies in the books? Also we are given hints that Nimander and company are all Soletaken Eleint but the group has no problem following nimander...

Maybe the ennui of the Andii counters the megalomania?

#38 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 09 February 2010 - 06:28 PM

ennui, the successive generations with ever less of tiam's blood and the fact that silchas might not know of korlat and orfantal, nimander and the rest. he was azathed quite soon after leaving KG and has been out of the loop for a long time
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#39 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 11 February 2010 - 07:39 AM

Tho Korlat, Orfie and co drank directly from Tiam, so technically they are first gen draconic.

Korlat's a special case via her loyalty to Rake. Presumably this applies to Orfantal and the other two as well, tho we don't know the history. They could have been absolute asshats to each other for a few millenia.

We do know that all of Tiam's daughters were less than cooperative, and similarly Envy and Spite who were descended from one of them.

- Abyss, will never call a family member 'dragon-lady' again.

#40 User is offline   anothevilbadguy 

• Sergeant

Posted 19 February 2010 - 12:09 AM

View Postfoolio, on 09 February 2010 - 04:14 PM, said:

I don't think he is necessarily wrong. He mentions that some lesser draconic soletaken with 'thinner blood' also managed to control the megalomania. So, that would seem to fit those soletaken Andii following Rake.
It also seems people are misinterpreting the quote, he doesn't say there is only one soletaken Jaghut, he just says only one had control over it. So, it is perceivable that all three popular choices can veer. I mean I don't think it can be said Raest managed to turn away from megalomania, and it is suggested that Gothos had wilder days in his 'youth'.

Share this topic:

• 10 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users