New Members Start Here

#281 User is offline   Itwęs Nom 

• Inquisitor of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 08 September 2015 - 09:32 PM

View PostLinearPhilosopher, on 04 September 2015 - 04:19 AM, said:

View PostOmniQin, on 30 August 2015 - 11:08 PM, said:

G'day here from Australia.

Recently attempted to read the Malazan series again (have friends who love it, but never quite took to it), and found it finally grabbed me.

Currently reading through the core Erikson decet before launching into Esslemont's books.

Thought it would be good to register here, should any queries arise. Plus, y'know: fan art is cool.

-OQ-

that intro, i read that in my head with an aussie accent

I did that too.
Then I realised I have no idea how does Australian accent sounds.
I wonder what accent was that.
All things fall from kings to rose petals

#282 User is offline   matrim.ivy 

• Historian
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Recruiting historians!!
    I'm working on a list of Fallen and it will be massive!! Anyone who is up to the challenge should contact me :)

Posted 09 September 2015 - 10:46 PM

Hello Malazan family. I'm Crys. I'm very excited to have found a place where people actually understand my constant book references and also speak of the characters like they are actually real haha. For some time I've wanted to make an effort at listing an actual list of deaths throughout all books associated with the Malazan World. I've been unable to find any and I can't seem to convince friends to jump onto my crazy train. Ha. So I suppose I will use this as a default introduction from now on. I look forward to making new friends and I hope that any and all "Duiker" types out there contact me if you're interested in this little project of mine.

#283 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 10 September 2015 - 01:28 AM

View Postmatrim.ivy, on 09 September 2015 - 10:46 PM, said:

Hello Malazan family. I'm Crys. I'm very excited to have found a place where people actually understand my constant book references and also speak of the characters like they are actually real haha. For some time I've wanted to make an effort at listing an actual list of deaths throughout all books associated with the Malazan World. I've been unable to find any and I can't seem to convince friends to jump onto my crazy train. Ha. So I suppose I will use this as a default introduction from now on. I look forward to making new friends and I hope that any and all "Duiker" types out there contact me if you're interested in this little project of mine.

Hello and Welcome!

Your project sounds interesting, do you actually want to list all the deaths that happened, in all the books?

The wiki might be a help to you in this project

#284 User is offline   Itwęs Nom 

Posted 10 September 2015 - 09:12 AM

Well, I always thought of myself like "Claw" type. But still, if you needed something...

#285 User is offline   matrim.ivy 

• Historian
    I'm working on a list of Fallen and it will be massive!! Anyone who is up to the challenge should contact me :)

Posted 10 September 2015 - 04:44 PM

I want a bit more than just a simple list of confirmed deaths. Lol my project is insanely ambitious to say the least. I've been meticulously combing through GotM repeatedly for the last three months extracting any and all information and details no matter how minute. I've also, for lack of a better word, raped wiki for any helpful information to include or assist with my research. It's going to be a long arduous process but my OCD requires that. Lol. I've asked fellow first time readers and re-readers to contact me when they come across a death or any details regarding population or size of a place no matter how large or small. The key information I could find helpful are as follows:

Book
Chapter
Page
Name or number of Fallen

(I.e. GotM,Ch2,p71. Rake slaughters soldiers indiscriminately with Kurald Galain sorcery.
-- with that I have a scenario and location to study to later determine a death toll of approx 7,630-7,650 by using other information I have previously collected--
GotM,Ch2,p61. According to Sorry's statement to Tattersail 1,350-1,370 Bridgeburner deaths during mine collapse)

Of course that's more wishful thinking than actual expectation. Lol.

So basically if anyone comes across any requested information or just something interesting that I should look at a book name and page is good enough for me!! Easy peasy.

#286 User is offline   matrim.ivy 

• Historian

Posted 10 September 2015 - 04:52 PM

View PostCharlie Nom, on 10 September 2015 - 09:12 AM, said:

Well, I always thought of myself like "Claw" type. But still, if you needed something...

So do you happen to have any info (ANY, I'm not picky. All knowledge is power) on organizations such as the Claw, the Talon or the Assassins Guild?? 😁

#287 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 10 September 2015 - 11:31 PM

If you lack a better word than that, hold the thought until you think of one.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#288 User is offline   Lepht 

• Recruit

Posted 11 September 2015 - 08:41 AM

Hi! My name is Cory but I like to go by Lepht online.
I'm a huge fan of fantasy, whether that be literature, movies, or video games.
My introduction to the fantasy genre was Eragon when I was 10 years old. I was addicted to the dragons and magic. Later I went through a phase of reading Huxley, Orwell, Rand, London, and the like. I returned to the fantasy genre in my senior year of high school (2013) when I read all of the current A Song of Ice and Fire novels. At the time they were the best thing I've ever read, and maybe still to this day. I've never seen the show and I don't plan to; I love the books too much to see a chopped up variation. After A Song of Ice and Fire I read The Dark Tower series by Stephen King and I thoroughly enjoyed that as well. Now I am reading GoTM and while I am confused somewhat, I am intrigued as well. I hope the books don't disappoint!

-Lepht

#289 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 11 September 2015 - 03:32 PM

View PostLepht, on 11 September 2015 - 08:41 AM, said:

Hi! My name is Cory but I like to go by Lepht online.
I'm a huge fan of fantasy, whether that be literature, movies, or video games.
My introduction to the fantasy genre was Eragon when I was 10 years old. I was addicted to the dragons and magic. Later I went through a phase of reading Huxley, Orwell, Rand, London, and the like. I returned to the fantasy genre in my senior year of high school (2013) when I read all of the current A Song of Ice and Fire novels. At the time they were the best thing I've ever read, and maybe still to this day. I've never seen the show and I don't plan to; I love the books too much to see a chopped up variation. After A Song of Ice and Fire I read The Dark Tower series by Stephen King and I thoroughly enjoyed that as well. Now I am reading GoTM and while I am confused somewhat, I am intrigued as well. I hope the books don't disappoint!

-Lepht

Welcome!
The books are going to be a bit different, but if you liked SIF and TDT, you're already in the right brainspace to get into MBF.
And if you're stumped on any point, hey, that's what we're here for, even if responses tend towards 'keep reading, it's too awesome to spoil!'.

...welll, that and the ritualistic floggings, but we'll let you get into the books first before starting the whole cerebellum scarification and identity reformat...
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#290 User is offline   ArtificialAscendant 

• Recruit
  • Interests:Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Horror books, movies, T.V. shows and video games... many other types of literature, many forms of interesting rock and roll, particularly my favorite musicians Devin Townsend, Josh Homme, and Al Jourgenson... all the strange things to be experienced while living in the most interesting epoch in human history thus far
  • I am enthusiastic about being in this group that is devoted to the greatest work of fiction that mankind has ever produced. The Malazan series has redefined my entire perception of what the artform of creative writing is capable of.

Posted 13 September 2015 - 03:28 AM

I was invited here by HiddenOne, one of my best friends since the 90's when we were both teenagers growing up in East Kentucky... He also got me reading the Malazan books, after I spent a couple years ignoring his entreaties that I should do so, because his enthusiasm seemed so completely outlandish and out of character that I was unable to take it seriously. I thought he was trying to punk me somehow. I had never seen this, one of my most laconic and emotionally reserved friends, this visibly affected by his overwhelming awe and devotion to anything. After I finally caved in and started Gardens, their were seven books published. I read all seven three times in a row, without reading anything else and stopping only long enough to call HO and say that I had been a fool to refuse to listen to him in the first place and that I would never doubt his word concerning any form of entertainment, or his review of their worthiness.
I have read the entire series, both Erikson and Esslemont, multiple times now, and have had a completely different and unique experience each time. I am completely amazed by the depth and beauty of this epic work. I try to turn new potential fans on to the series every chance I get. 4 years ago we rescued and adopted a Toy Poodle and I named him Quick Ben. he has month old puppies now, they are named Whiskeyjack, Possum, Fist Paran, and Fiddler.
I can't wait for more books to become available, but until they do I will check out what is interesting in the archives around here, participate in the forums when I have something I feel is interesting to contribute, and hopefully make some good friends or worthy foes.
Cheers, all!
After she showed me her Tiste, I was ready to Jaghut off. But then she let me Forkrul her Assail!

#291 User is offline   Berix 

• Recruit

Posted 13 September 2015 - 02:52 PM

I am from Croatia, male, almost 37 years old, already married so please don't send me any marriage proposals. :harhar:

I have read all the books except Assail and FoD. And I like them all - both SE and ICE books. What I like about this forum is that there are so many fun / useful posts. It is great addition to the books and it definitely make the experience of Malazan world even more enjoyable.

#292 User is offline   animext 

• Recruit

Posted 20 September 2015 - 03:15 AM

Came for the fanart, stayed for new perspectives and to actually witness people talking about this book. Seems like no one I know has even heard of it, never mind read it.

I love this series so far, I'm nearly at the end of Midnight Tides and I am constantly surprised at how into it I am, considering it's a whole fresh batch of characters I know nothing or little about.

This series has been hugely rewarding, some of the scenes are so incredible.

Gotm spoiler:

Spoiler
Incredibly good shit.

Pleasure to meet you all, looking forward to reading everyones thoughts and ideas and oogling over fan art. I wish I could draw SO HARD

#293 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 20 September 2015 - 03:26 AM

View PostBerix, on 13 September 2015 - 02:52 PM, said:

I am from Croatia, male, almost 37 years old, already married so please don't send me any marriage proposals. :(

I have read all the books except Assail and FoD. And I like them all - both SE and ICE books. What I like about this forum is that there are so many fun / useful posts. It is great addition to the books and it definitely make the experience of Malazan world even more enjoyable.

Wanna get married? I'm pretty!
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#294 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 20 September 2015 - 11:47 AM

Pretty what?
Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#295 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 20 September 2015 - 12:32 PM

View Postanimext, on 20 September 2015 - 03:15 AM, said:

Came for the fanart, stayed for new perspectives and to actually witness people talking about this book. Seems like no one I know has even heard of it, never mind read it.

I love this series so far, I'm nearly at the end of Midnight Tides and I am constantly surprised at how into it I am, considering it's a whole fresh batch of characters I know nothing or little about.

This series has been hugely rewarding, some of the scenes are so incredible.

Gotm Spoiler:

Spoiler
Incredibly good shit.

Pleasure to meet you all, looking forward to reading everyones thoughts and ideas and oogling over fan art. I wish I could draw SO HARD

Welcome to the forum man, Also judging by your username might wana drop by the anime thread, theres a few of us there

#296 User is offline   Itwęs Nom 

Posted 21 September 2015 - 08:55 PM

View Postmatrim.ivy, on 10 September 2015 - 04:52 PM, said:

View PostCharlie Nom, on 10 September 2015 - 09:12 AM, said:

So do you happen to have any info (ANY, I'm not picky. All knowledge is power) on organizations such as the Claw, the Talon or the Assassins Guild?? 😁

I meant the second thing that claws are good (or bad in most cases) at

#297 User is offline   Faradan Sort 

• Recruit

Posted 27 September 2015 - 11:58 AM

Hello Malazan Empire family:)
My name is Marina and I`m from Bulgaria. I LOVE MBoTF and for me It`s the best fantasy EVER. I`m currently reading MT (for second time). I`m glad that I found you guys, there are many interesting discussions here and Its also a good way to practise my English (and I definitely need that). Posted Image

#298 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 29 September 2015 - 03:38 AM

View PostGorefest, on 20 September 2015 - 11:47 AM, said:

Pretty what?

Awesomely ridiculous!

Also stupid.

View PostFaradan Sort, on 27 September 2015 - 11:58 AM, said:

Hello Malazan Empire family:)
My name is Marina and I`m from Bulgaria. I LOVE MBoTF and for me It`s the best fantasy EVER. I`m currently reading MT (for second time). I`m glad that I found you guys, there are many interesting discussions here and Its also a good way to practise my English (and I definitely need that). Posted Image

Feel free to practice. If you want we'll both provide you with knowledge, thoughts on your opinions, and help with your English.

Welcome!

This post has been edited by HoosierDaddy: 29 September 2015 - 03:39 AM

Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#299 User is offline   Kalam&Quick 

• Recruit

Posted 29 September 2015 - 05:37 PM

Long time forum reader, first time poster, have been meaning to make an account and finally got around to it.
Picked up GoTM a few years back and never really read it until this past year, Am now onto DoD and currently own all published maalzan books except for FoD.
By far my favorite part of the Malazan universe is the Duo BAness of Kalam and quick Ben.
And Anything Karsa Related.
I also second the fact that there is 100% more segulah Needed.
“Hello, Capustan. The Bridgeburners have arrived.”

#300 User is offline   Toc_theyounger 

• Recruit

Posted 30 September 2015 - 05:39 PM

Hey guys, Toc-theyounger (mind the dash, its important) here. I got here via the Malazan wikia where I've been contributing under Toctheyounger. Recruitment details include being forced into this enlistment by Egwene of the Malazan Empire. I will have to pay her back sometime. I'm almost a native English speaker, having studied it since 4. Just here for the thrills people. *Doffs hat* , Top of the mornin' to you all. i'll get back to editing the wikia then.

This post has been edited by Toc_theyounger: 30 September 2015 - 05:39 PM

Share this topic:

• 18 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users