• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New Members Start Here

#261 User is offline   frik 

• Corporal
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 25 January 2015 - 08:23 PM

Siep here. Or frik, which is my username. Frik is a Dutch nickname for teacher - and that's what I am.
I've read the first three books of the Malazan series and hope, one day to finish the rest.
I love collecting limited edition books and was lucky to get myself a lettered Memories of Ice, so I'm in for the rest of the SubPress series.
Deadhouse Gates was my first numbered edition - I love what SubPress is doing with these books.

I was wondering: is there a forum section books wanted/books for sale ?
I'd love to get my hands on the lettered editions I've missed. Plus the numbered.

sk

This post has been edited by frik: 25 January 2015 - 08:26 PM

#262 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 25 January 2015 - 08:42 PM

There isn't a forum for that. People post individual threads in various places (mostly Announcements or General subforums), and it's sort of a waiting game.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#263 User is offline   RashanThyr 

• Recruit
  • Interests:Malazan, Sanderson, and LAX
  • B & KB 4 Life

Posted 02 February 2015 - 07:07 PM

Hello All! First time on the forum, it's nice to meet you all!!

#264 User is offline   heavymetaltroll 

• Sergeant

Posted 03 February 2015 - 07:57 AM

View PostMaark, on 08 January 2015 - 03:23 PM, said:

ck'd

View Postheavymetaltroll, on 07 January 2015 - 03:30 AM, said:

Hi all

Finally joined to help satisfy my rampant addiction to all things Malazan. First picked up GotM way back in 03/04 and have carried on and re-read all the books repeatedly since. Having read everything set in Wu bar the two most recent Bauchelain and Korbal Broach novellas I now find myself re-reading them all again, this time trying to fit the Esslemont novels in logical placement with Erikson's. Hoping to air all my crack pot theories and ideas relating to these fantastic series' and hear others opinions on them.

*crack'd pot theories

Also are we talking DURTH MURTURLGH?

No not Death Metal, its a little extreme for me, about the heaviest I get is Panterra lol

#265 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 03 February 2015 - 02:17 PM

View PostGiz, on 16 January 2015 - 12:20 PM, said:

Hi!
My name is Grzegorz (Greg) from Poznań (Poland) and i've been reading Steven Erikson's books since 2002. He's definitely my Nr. 1 in fantasy. Now I read first time all 10 books in a row. It is even better! Excuse my broken english. :(

Am I right in believing you'd pronounce that as 'Cheg-orz'? My Polish needs a little... polish.
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#266 User is offline   Macgruber 

• Recruit

Posted 12 March 2015 - 05:52 PM

Hi All!

I'm excited to be starting these books for the first time. I just picked up GotM on a whim and am only on chapter 11, but I can already tell I am going to be in it for the long haul. Love this book so far!

#267 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 13 March 2015 - 05:31 PM

Hello and welcome all you Newbies :sofa:

I well remember my own excitement when I realized I had found an amazing new looong fantasy series. The bliss of thousands of pages of brilliant writing waiting for me.... aaahhhhh....

Have fun everyone and look forward to seeing you around the forums!

#268 User is offline   Morticia 

• Recruit

Posted 08 April 2015 - 11:00 AM

Hey, this is my first post here. I'm a member of fan forums for other fantasy literature and only just discovered there was one for Malazan so thought I'd give it a try.

#269 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 08 April 2015 - 05:41 PM

Hallo and welcome! How many of the books have you read?

#270 User is offline   Los Mul 

• Recruit

Posted 10 April 2015 - 03:26 PM

Hey, I'm a new guy to the Malazan series. I started with Forge of Darkness, but that was too confusing so I picked up GotM instead and really enjoyed it. Looking forward to discussing the series with people, and especially because I don't know what the hell is going on haha. Whats a warren, a High House? :D Pretty confusing as well but also very interesting at the same time. Definitely very different from other fantasy I've read.

This post has been edited by Maelys I Blackfyre: 10 April 2015 - 09:06 PM

#271 User is offline   pinky 

• Recruit
  • Interests:Reading.

Travelling to Malta.

Posted 09 August 2015 - 06:39 PM

Hi I'm Paul, fairly new to fantasy but have read a broad range so far( well that's my opinion you may disagree). So far I have read books by Gene Wolfe, Robin Hobb, Raymond E Feist, Tad Williams, M John Harrison and Brandon Sanderson. Some of these I discovered on the web mostly in best of lists or with high praise as I do not wish to read any bad fantasy just the good which is why I will soon be starting Gardens of The Moon.

#272 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 09 August 2015 - 09:04 PM

You want to skip the bad fantasy? What, you think you're better than us??

#273 User is offline   pinky 

• Recruit
  • Interests:Reading.

Travelling to Malta.

Posted 12 August 2015 - 06:48 PM

I did not expect a reply like this. I am happy to read any book in any genre and unlike many readers I do not quit once I have started a book. I do prefer to read the most challenging and the best books I can lay my hands on. I assure I am better than nobody only an equal as we all are.

#274 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 13 August 2015 - 01:32 AM

View Postpinky, on 12 August 2015 - 06:48 PM, said:

I did not expect a reply like this. I am happy to read any book in any genre and unlike many readers I do not quit once I have started a book. I do prefer to read the most challenging and the best books I can lay my hands on. I assure I am better than nobody only an equal as we all are.

Ah ignore Worry. For the moment. At your own risk.

But on a more serious note, I understand your need to read quality fantasy though you should know tastes and opinions can vary. From your first post it seems you are just starting MBotF. Then you should have a look at the Spoiler Free Read Order Thread and be very careful about spoilers in general.
Happy reading.

Edit: If you want good fantasy recs in general the Reading at the Moment thread in the Other Literature subforum is a good place. Its fairly spoiler safe (though not guaranteed) and I have picke dup many good recs from there before.

This post has been edited by Andorion: 13 August 2015 - 01:51 AM

#275 User is offline   Re-Loading 

• Recruit

Posted 30 August 2015 - 10:22 AM

Hello, everyone.
Newbie to the forum here. Please excuse my English, I`m not a native speaker, but I`ll try my best, I promise!
I`ve been through almost every fantasy out there. Maybe a year back in my desperation I picked up B. Sanderson`s Mistborn, which almost made me quit the genre. Erikson was my last hope, though I have to say I approached him with fair amount of disbelief. The first few pages of Gardens of the Moon felt terrible - new, complicated and way different writing style, dozen of characters, zero exposition, zero explanation. Then Tattersail came in, and Pale`s siege, and the massive, massive battle between Tayschrenn and Anomander and, of course, Hairlock! Damn... Hairlock had such an epic storyline!
So, here I am, an year later, at the end of Midnight Tides and man... did this series change everything for me! It amazes me how different really Erikson is than everything I have ever read. So much more intelligent... At this point I doubt I can return to anything else.
To those who find the books confusing I can say that one should read them like puzzles. Every bit of given information should first be evaluated and understood, and then put in the whole picture. There are no mistakes in the text, no random info, no random words, silly dialogue or anything like those. Also one should always be aware of the point of view of the character. Often a character is right about something and wrong about several other. As a reader, it is your duty to evaluate the information, nothing will be directly explained to you.
To the others, I`m looking forward to our future discussions!
Regards.(and I hope my English wasn`t that bad)

#276 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 30 August 2015 - 11:06 AM

View PostRe-Loading, on 30 August 2015 - 10:22 AM, said:

Hello, everyone.
Newbie to the forum here. Please excuse my English, I`m not a native speaker, but I`ll try my best, I promise!
I`ve been through almost every fantasy out there. Maybe a year back in my desperation I picked up B. Sanderson`s Mistborn, which almost made me quit the genre. Erikson was my last hope, though I have to say I approached him with fair amount of disbelief. The first few pages of Gardens of the Moon felt terrible - new, complicated and way different writing style, dozen of characters, zero exposition, zero explanation. Then Tattersail came in, and Pale`s siege, and the massive, massive battle between Tayschrenn and Anomander and, of course, Hairlock! Damn... Hairlock had such an epic storyline!
So, here I am, an year later, at the end of Midnight Tides and man... did this series change everything for me! It amazes me how different really Erikson is than everything I have ever read. So much more intelligent... At this point I doubt I can return to anything else.
To those who find the books confusing I can say that one should read them like puzzles. Every bit of given information should first be evaluated and understood, and then put in the whole picture. There are no mistakes in the text, no random info, no random words, silly dialogue or anything like those. Also one should always be aware of the point of view of the character. Often a character is right about something and wrong about several other. As a reader, it is your duty to evaluate the information, nothing will be directly explained to you.
To the others, I`m looking forward to our future discussions!
Regards.(and I hope my English wasn`t that bad)

Welcome to the forums!
Glad to hear that Malazan made such a difference to you. For most people reding Malazan changes their ideas about fantasy and a lot of them have trouble really liking other books afterwards.

Also your English is perfectly fine!

#277 User is offline   OmniQin 

• Recruit

Posted 30 August 2015 - 11:08 PM

G'day here from Australia.

Recently attempted to read the Malazan series again (have friends who love it, but never quite took to it), and found it finally grabbed me.

Currently reading through the core Erikson decet before launching into Esslemont's books.

Thought it would be good to register here, should any queries arise. Plus, y'know: fan art is cool.

-OQ-

#278 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 30 August 2015 - 11:50 PM

Crikey!

#279 User is offline   ganparan 

• Recruit

Posted 04 September 2015 - 04:17 AM

Yank living down unda. Read the ten and Night of Knives, started Crimson Guard.
Add Reply
There's no need for that. I am not a cheese for slicing.

#280 User is offline   LinearPhilosopher 

• House Knight
  • Interests:Everything.

Posted 04 September 2015 - 04:19 AM

View PostOmniQin, on 30 August 2015 - 11:08 PM, said:

G'day here from Australia.

Recently attempted to read the Malazan series again (have friends who love it, but never quite took to it), and found it finally grabbed me.

Currently reading through the core Erikson decet before launching into Esslemont's books.

Thought it would be good to register here, should any queries arise. Plus, y'know: fan art is cool.

-OQ-

that intro, i read that in my head with an aussie accent

Share this topic:

• 18 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users