• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New Members Start Here

#241 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 18 December 2014 - 12:28 AM

Having only that information as context, I think you made the right decision.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#242 User is offline   Melnibonean Wanderer 

• Recruit

Posted 29 December 2014 - 09:01 PM

Hello, all.

I've finished reading the Book of the Fallen. Now I'm reading Malazan Empire by I.C.E, about to crack open Stonewielder. I'm excited to see more of the Stormriders and Korel. I first learned of Malaz back in 2010. I was at a Hastings, buying one of the Weis/Hickman Dragonlance novels. At the time I was neck deep into my biology undergrad program, slogging through organic chemistry. So I needed some easy reading in between exams (turns out that was hard reading...I kept wondering why I was still reading Dragonlance). Anyway, I get to the check-out and the clerk said I should try Gardens of the Moon. A year later I was reading Tom Lloyd's Twilight Reign series (a blurb on the back said fans of Erikson would love this series, so again I started thinking about going to Malaz after I was done with Twilight Reign). I picked up GotM after Twilight Reign and was sucked into this strange, wondrous and sometimes confusing world of Wu. Next to Moorcock's Elric saga, Lloyd's Twilight Reign and REH's Conan, this was the most enthralling fantasy series I'd encountered. Excellent characters, pacing, and the mostly standalone nature of the Book of the Fallen (sans DoD/TCG) make this one of the best of the epic fantasies...or rather, epic sword and sorcery with a nice touch of Homer.

I'm thrilled to have discovered the boards, and look forward to discussing the series and characters with everyone!

#243 User is offline   Vengeance 

• High Priest of Shinrei Love and Worship
  • Group: Administrators
  • very good...;)

Posted 30 December 2014 - 04:55 AM

Awesome!! Welcome to the board. Questions/answers and thoughts abound.
How many fucking people do I have to hammer in order to get that across.
Hinter - Vengy - DIE. I trusted you you bastard!!!!!!!

Steven Erikson made drowning in alien cum possible - Obdigore

#244 User is offline   dogfood 

• Recruit

Posted 01 January 2015 - 08:17 AM

Happy New Year Everyone.

First time here and first post.

Been reading most of the series all of the last year. Joined to work out who is who and why stuff happens. Looking forward to discovering stuff. :)

#245 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 01 January 2015 - 11:46 AM

View Postdogfood, on 01 January 2015 - 08:17 AM, said:

Happy New Year Everyone.

Been reading most of the series all of the last year. Joined to work out who is who and why stuff happens. Looking forward to discovering stuff. :)

Welcome and Happy New Year! You chose a good day to join. Have you read all the books?

#246 User is offline   dogfood 

• Recruit

Posted 01 January 2015 - 07:24 PM

View PostAndorion, on 01 January 2015 - 11:46 AM, said:

View Postdogfood, on 01 January 2015 - 08:17 AM, said:

Happy New Year Everyone.

Welcome and Happy New Year! You chose a good day to join. Have you read all the books?

Currently reading Reaper's Gale. I have about 7 I think

#247 User is offline   Vel Proclet 

• Recruit

Posted 02 January 2015 - 02:22 AM

Hello everyone!
I just finished GoTM and I'm definitely hooked! Looking forward to read the next books in the series. Oh yes, and I can't wait to discuss things in the forums with fellow Malazan fans.
Cheers!

#248 User is offline   Echos from Chain of Dogs 

• Recruit
  • Interests:Avid reader, gardening, knitting.

Posted 02 January 2015 - 11:45 PM

Newly registered and first post.

History: Im putting my life on hold for the next 3 months to finish reading the Malazan series for the 3rd time (yes I know sucker for punishment). Currently onto Memories of Ice. Terrific to find a site with as many enthusiastic followers as no one I know read my genre of books, bit hard to find over 50's women who read Erikson, Eddings, Jordan, Donaldson etc. Have to say that Erikson is my favourite. Gradually working my way through the all the forum posts and just wanted to say hi an have a great new year.

#249 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 03 January 2015 - 03:08 AM

View PostEchos from Chain of Dogs, on 02 January 2015 - 11:45 PM, said:

History: Im putting my life on hold for the next 3 months to finish reading the Malazan series for the 3rd time (yes I know sucker for punishment). Currently onto Memories of Ice. Terrific to find a site with as many enthusiastic followers as no one I know read my genre of books, bit hard to find over 50's women who read Erikson, Eddings, Jordan, Donaldson etc. Have to say that Erikson is my favourite. Gradually working my way through the all the forum posts and just wanted to say hi an have a great new year.

Hallo and welcome! I totally get your point about not getting any peers who read these books. I have the same problem where I live, which is why these forums were such a huge bonus. Keep posting as you re-read. Re-readers often find lots of stuff which had gone unnoticed until then.

Also, you really liked Deadhouse Gates didn't you?

#250 User is offline   Echos from Chain of Dogs 

• Recruit
  • Interests:Avid reader, gardening, knitting.

Posted 05 January 2015 - 08:40 AM

View PostAndorion, on 03 January 2015 - 03:08 AM, said:

View PostEchos from Chain of Dogs, on 02 January 2015 - 11:45 PM, said:

Hallo and welcome! I totally get your point about not getting any peers who read these books. I have the same problem where I live, which is why these forums were such a huge bonus. Keep posting as you re-read. Re-readers often find lots of stuff which had gone unnoticed until then.

Also, you really liked Deadhouse Gates didn't you?

Does it show LOL. Trying to stick with no spoilers, it was the first book I read in the series and after I sobbed (and it wasn't a pretty cry) I had to read from the start. Man was I confused, kept trying to find someone I knew. I have a tendency to get right into my reading and I annoy others with my gasps, OMGs and arguing with characters so needless to say ive kept the tissue companies in business. Anyway thanks for the welcome.

#251 User is offline   Catherine 

• Lieutenant
  • Interests:SCA<br />International Side-saddle Association<br />good books<br />the Space Channe<br />Arabian horses

Posted 05 January 2015 - 11:45 PM

I'm over 50 and just love these books, started Assail tonight.

#252 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 05 January 2015 - 11:49 PM

View PostCatherine, on 05 January 2015 - 11:45 PM, said:

I'm over 50 and just love these books, started Assail tonight.

They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#253 User is offline   Catherine 

• Lieutenant
  • Interests:SCA<br />International Side-saddle Association<br />good books<br />the Space Channe<br />Arabian horses

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:22 PM

I'm not that flexible but still can handle my spirited Arabian horse, lol.

#254 User is offline   heavymetaltroll 

• Sergeant

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:30 AM

Hi all

Finally joined to help satisfy my rampant addiction to all things Malazan. First picked up GotM way back in 03/04 and have carried on and re-read all the books repeatedly since. Having read everything set in Wu bar the two most recent Bauchelain and Korbal Broach novellas I now find myself re-reading them all again, this time trying to fit the Esslemont novels in logical placement with Erikson's. Hoping to air all my crack pot theories and ideas relating to these fantastic series' and hear others opinions on them.

#255 User is offline   Maark Abbott 

• Part Time Catgirl
  • Interests:Redacted

Posted 08 January 2015 - 03:23 PM

ck'd

View Postheavymetaltroll, on 07 January 2015 - 03:30 AM, said:

Hi all

Finally joined to help satisfy my rampant addiction to all things Malazan. First picked up GotM way back in 03/04 and have carried on and re-read all the books repeatedly since. Having read everything set in Wu bar the two most recent Bauchelain and Korbal Broach novellas I now find myself re-reading them all again, this time trying to fit the Esslemont novels in logical placement with Erikson's. Hoping to air all my crack pot theories and ideas relating to these fantastic series' and hear others opinions on them.

*crack'd pot theories

Also are we talking DURTH MURTURLGH?
Debut novel 'Incarnate' now available on Kindle

#256 User is offline   Giz'burn 

• Recruit

Posted 16 January 2015 - 12:20 PM

Hi!
My name is Grzegorz (Greg) from Poznań (Poland) and i've been reading Steven Erikson's books since 2002. He's definitely my Nr. 1 in fantasy. Now I read first time all 10 books in a row. It is even better! Excuse my broken english. :(

This post has been edited by Giz'burn: 16 January 2015 - 12:21 PM

#257 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 16 January 2015 - 02:31 PM

View PostGiz, on 16 January 2015 - 12:20 PM, said:

Hi!
My name is Grzegorz (Greg) from Poznań (Poland) and i've been reading Steven Erikson's books since 2002. He's definitely my Nr. 1 in fantasy. Now I read first time all 10 books in a row. It is even better! Excuse my broken english. :(

Welcome aboard!

Have you been reading the books in English or the translated Polish versions? Of all the translations, the Polish ones seem to be the most complete and have the best covers, IMO!

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#258 User is offline   Giz'burn 

• Recruit

Posted 19 January 2015 - 05:59 PM

In polish - I read Jordan/Sanderson final 3 volumes in english but Erikson is harder.

#259 User is offline   Judge Bredd 

• Justiciar
  • YOU HAVE BEEN JUDGED....

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:29 AM

Hello everyone.....just signed in here......love this place and the books......
DREDD THE BREDD!!!!!

#260 User is offline   Andorion 

• God

Posted 20 January 2015 - 01:35 PM

View PostJudge Bredd, on 20 January 2015 - 09:29 AM, said:

Hello everyone.....just signed in here......love this place and the books......

Welcome. So have you read all the books?

Share this topic:

• 18 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users