• You cannot reply to this topic

New Members Start Here

#301 User is offline   Gnaw 

• Recovering eating disordered addict of HHM
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 14 October 2015 - 12:43 AM

View PostArtificialAscendant, on 13 September 2015 - 03:28 AM, said:

I was invited here by HiddenOne, one of my best friends since the 90's when we were both teenagers growing up in East Kentucky... He also got me reading the Malazan books, after I spent a couple years ignoring his entreaties that I should do so, because his enthusiasm seemed so completely outlandish and out of character that I was unable to take it seriously. I thought he was trying to punk me somehow. I had never seen this, one of my most laconic and emotionally reserved friends, this visibly affected by his overwhelming awe and devotion to anything. After I finally caved in and started Gardens, their were seven books published. I read all seven three times in a row, without reading anything else and stopping only long enough to call HO and say that I had been a fool to refuse to listen to him in the first place and that I would never doubt his word concerning any form of entertainment, or his review of their worthiness.
I have read the entire series, both Erikson and Esslemont, multiple times now, and have had a completely different and unique experience each time. I am completely amazed by the depth and beauty of this epic work. I try to turn new potential fans on to the series every chance I get. 4 years ago we rescued and adopted a Toy Poodle and I named him Quick Ben. he has month old puppies now, they are named Whiskeyjack, Possum, Fist Paran, and Fiddler.
I can't wait for more books to become available, but until they do I will check out what is interesting in the archives around here, participate in the forums when I have something I feel is interesting to contribute, and hopefully make some good friends or worthy foes.
Cheers, all!

You realize that admitting to knowing the HIddonOne is just.......
"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

#302 User is offline   Suzerain_of_Starvald_Demelain 

• Recruit
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 19 March 2016 - 09:09 PM

Hello All,

I am brand new to the forum but have been reading and re-reading the series for several years now. I am looking forward to taking part in the community discussions.

#303 User is offline   StudiousLockReturns 

• Recruit

Posted 25 April 2016 - 09:21 PM

Not remotely new but managed to forget my password, username and the email I used so set up a new account.
Good to be back Posted Image

#304 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 25 April 2016 - 09:56 PM

Which one are you?
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#305 User is offline   TheArchitect 

• Recruit

Posted 03 June 2016 - 04:44 PM

Hi yalll! Big fan. new here. lets have fun?

#306 User is offline   Gray Jay 

• Recruit

Posted 19 July 2016 - 02:03 PM

Hello, everyone. Pleasure to make my very first post on the forums. I hope for a great stay, and wish to join in on all the discussions once I finish the main series. I'm currently on book six having read all the novellas in-between as recommended by the suggested reading order on the Malazan wikia. The series is absolutely amazing -- unlike anything I've ever read before in any genre.

This post has been edited by Gray Jay: 19 July 2016 - 02:41 PM

#307 User is offline   Kruppac 

• Recruit

Posted 27 July 2016 - 03:30 PM

Hi everyone, I hope this thread isn't too old by now, I had just set up when I saw it so here I am :D

#308 User is offline   Anomander's Drake 

• Recruit

Posted 02 September 2016 - 08:50 PM

Hi,

I'm part way through GOTM and I came here looking at read orders.I know that there's a couple of discussions on it and I've seen the one without spoilers. I'm looking forward to getting to grips with a mythos whereas I'm so behind on so many of them!

This post has been edited by Anomander's Drake: 02 September 2016 - 08:52 PM

#309 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 03 September 2016 - 03:12 AM

View PostAnomander, on 02 September 2016 - 08:50 PM, said:

Hi,

I'm part way through GOTM and I came here looking at read orders.I know that there's a couple of discussions on it and I've seen the one without spoilers. I'm looking forward to getting to grips with a mythos whereas I'm so behind on so many of them!

Mind you stay in the spoiler free read order thread as you are in GotM

Happy reading! You have a great experience ahead of you

#310 User is offline   Sabaticus 

• Recruit
  • Interests:reading - travel

Posted 28 February 2017 - 03:45 AM

Hi all

I'm a voracious SF& F reader for many decades. I've wanted to read the Malazan Book of the Fallen series for quite awhile but always had another tome, trilogy or series lined up to read. I finally gathered the whole series along with Esslemont's seven offerings and have started GotM.

I was going to ask when/ if/ or where I should insert the Esselmont books, but nosing around a bit I found the pinned forum on the reading order. After staring at it for a minute, leaning my head to the left and then leaning it to the right, then standing on my head a bright light flashed and I understood the order. A great guide.

I also believe this website is going to be a great companion for my readings and can't wait to read the comments for each of the books when I'm finished

#311 User is offline   Gorefest 

• Witness

Posted 28 February 2017 - 09:51 AM

Welcome to the fold! It's going to be a great ride, I hope.

Yeah, there are good spoiler free discussions on read order. Esslemont doesn't really come into it until after the first five Erikson books.

The usual advice: steer clear of Googling for info as you are very likely to stumble upon spoilers that way; the best thing to do when stuck is just ask here. Lots of people around who are happy to help. Make sure to put your questions in the book subforum that you are reading, because the general forums may also contain accidental spoilers. Enjoy!

This post has been edited by Gorefest: 28 February 2017 - 09:51 AM

Yesterday, upon the stair, I saw a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. Oh, how I wish he'd go away.

#312 User is offline   mellint 

• Recruit

Posted 07 March 2017 - 11:17 PM

Hello, I am mellint, and I am a new reader of the Malazan series. I am very close to completing book one. Only 100 pages left!

#313 User is offline   Captain Beardface 

• Mason of Serc
  • Interests:Rugby, Darts, Quality Beer, Heavy Metal... Hard Rock in general

Posted 16 March 2017 - 04:18 PM

Not new, just have been away for awhile. On my fourth trip through the series but this time I'm listening to the audiobooks. Currently 3/4 done with House of Chains. The change in narrator wasn't an issue voice wise but the change in pronunciation is aggravating to say the least. I'll be over in the general book forum's audiobook thread ranting about it later.
Monsignor:...Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.
Connor: [as the brothers exit the church] I do believe the monsignor's finally got the point.
Murphy: Aye.

Boondock Saints

#314 User is offline   Hoedini 

• Recruit

Posted 01 June 2017 - 12:38 PM

Hi,

My name is Dennie. I'm in my second read of the original series (first 10 books). Currently at the Bonehunters and really into it (again). Already bought all the other books a few weeks ago but thought it would be a good idea to read the orignal series to get into the story. No regrets so far but cant wait to read al the "new" material.

Kinds regards,

Dennie

#315 User is offline   Itwęs Nom 

• Inquisitor of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 01 June 2017 - 03:05 PM

View PostHoedini, on 01 June 2017 - 12:38 PM, said:

Hi,

My name is Dennie. I'm in my second read of the original series (first 10 books). Currently at the Bonehunters and really into it (again). Already bought all the other books a few weeks ago but thought it would be a good idea to read the orignal series to get into the story. No regrets so far but cant wait to read al the "new" material.

Kinds regards,

Dennie

You could entwine some of the "other" books with the main series

Spoiler-free reading order thread

And welcome

This post has been edited by Itwęs Nom: 01 June 2017 - 03:06 PM

All things fall from kings to rose petals

#316 User is offline   TheHoundsCall 

• Corporal

Posted 16 July 2017 - 12:31 PM

Hey fellow Malazan fans. So I just read GotM and I started Deadhouse Gates. I really liked GotM and I feel that I've found my new obsession! I asked my friends on the 17th shard what a good series would be between Stormlight releases and they recommended Malazan. Glad to be a part of this community.

#317 User is offline   scarface 

• Recruit

Posted 08 March 2018 - 02:42 AM

Hey fellow Malazan fans,
I have begun my journey into the Malazan set of novels by finishing GoTM recently; cant wait to start DG. I also have a hobby of collecting limited edition books and happen to love what subpress have done with the series. Hit me up if anyone here is looking to sell a set!

#318 User is offline   Mako2401 

• Corporal

Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:23 AM

Hello everyone, I'm a new reader of Malazan, coudln't get it because the books were not available in my country, finally got a Kindle and bought them online. Been reading the books with TOR reread.

#319 User is offline   Egwene 

• Emperor

Posted 31 May 2018 - 07:32 PM

Welcome to the forum all you new people :headbang:

To those who have just started the series - enjoy reading the best epic fantasy series, ever :)

#320 User is offline   Kruppe80Slovakia 

• Recruit
  • View gallery

Posted 02 June 2018 - 09:13 PM

Hi everyone, i will use name Kruppe as it is one of my most favourite characters. Posted Image

My mission, why i appear here is to create playable card game Deck of Dragons. I think many of you wish to have this deck and i am now in proces of creating it. And so this wish maybe finally come true. Posted Image

Many of you here do great job in painting many characters and discuss and learn many stuff about Malazan books. I will appreciate your help with knowlegde and paintings for cards. So who is willing to help me with all this stuff? Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 18 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users