• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Red Dead (Redemption) Series AKA Rockstar's Grand Theft Equine

#121 User is offline   Fist Gamet 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Writing, reading, writing, climbing, writing, scuba diving and writing (not at the same time)

Posted 23 June 2010 - 07:20 PM

:) The end of the story arc was a bit meh.

EYE BLEEDING SPOILERS BELOW

Didn't want to be Jack for the end, he looks a bit naff compared to old John. Oh well. The hunting in Tall Trees is still great fun, especially if you try it on foot at night.
Victory is mine!

#122 User is offline   Beezulbubba 

• ---
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 24 June 2010 - 05:41 AM

View PostFist Gamet, on 23 June 2010 - 07:20 PM, said:

:) The end of the story arc was a bit meh.

EYE BLEEDING SPOILERS BELOW

Didn't want to be Jack for the end, he looks a bit naff compared to old John. Oh well. The hunting in Tall Trees is still great fun, especially if you try it on foot at night.

Ummmm.... "Revenge is a dish best served cold" ? Posted Image

#123 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 24 June 2010 - 10:22 AM

I completed the Legend of the West quests. The sharpshooter one is a lot easier when you realise you have loads of time to do it. I went down to one clip (6 shots) with a pistol, and hid behind the bar in Thieves Landing. Pop up and aim - go into dead eye and see who draws. Pick maybe 2 guns, fire, disarm, then duck back down. Boost up dead eye again. Pop up - see who's left. Pick another two, take their guns - you can get the same guy twice if he picks up another gun. Some people will have left, but soon someone else will come back in. (Btw if you only have one clip, Marston can't automatically reload when you stop targeting, and ruin your chances!)

This way, you can take your time, and check the bar in the journal to see if your disarms counted. I found targeting the guns as they draw meant you hit the gun rather than the hand.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 24 June 2010 - 01:44 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#124 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 24 June 2010 - 12:39 PM

Doesn't seem hard at all now you guys describe it. I'll try it tomorrow. Completed Five Finger Fillet, wasn't too difficult since I wrote the patterns down on a piece of paper and didn't look at the screen. Finally did the poker challenge, that Asian guy who runs the laundry was cleaning 'em out in the beginning. Went from 276 chips to 5000 in the end though, although it took me 2 hours. :)

I liked the end of the story, especially since I managed to take out 8 of 'em with my LeMat. Got Fordham right between the eyes too. At least, I think it was him. Shame the part of it after was so short and meh, although I did get $1200 out of it by murdering the brother and wife as well.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#125 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 24 June 2010 - 01:48 PM

I've had a sneaky peak at multiplayer. I started as a rustler on free roam, and rode around for a bit on my mule, which is all you get to start with.

I went to one of the gang hideouts, where another player was trying to complete it by blowing up carts. I gave him a hand, killed a load of bandits, and blew up a couple of carts. We both cleared the area, but at the end he got himself killed, and I got a load of XP points!

There are a load more challenges too, hunting, shooting etc... looks waaay too addictive, as soon as I finish the main game I'm there.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 24 June 2010 - 01:49 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#126 User is offline   Beezulbubba 

• ---

Posted 24 June 2010 - 03:42 PM

View PostTraveller, on 24 June 2010 - 01:48 PM, said:

I've had a sneaky peak at multiplayer. I started as a rustler on free roam, and rode around for a bit on my mule, which is all you get to start with.

I went to one of the gang hideouts, where another player was trying to complete it by blowing up carts. I gave him a hand, killed a load of bandits, and blew up a couple of carts. We both cleared the area, but at the end he got himself killed, and I got a load of XP points!

There are a load more challenges too, hunting, shooting etc... looks waaay too addictive, as soon as I finish the main game I'm there.

My experience with multi-player (free roam) is I get killed, re-spawn, get killed, re-spawn, get killed...... I'm on Xbox Live and that probably is the issue.... Xbox Live is notorious for 12, 13, 14 year old punks who have nothing better to do with their time (other then being dicks on Xbox Live). Posted Image

#127 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 03 July 2010 - 05:43 PM

Posted Image

#128 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 03 July 2010 - 08:55 PM

100%'d this game the other day without even realising it. :( This game was very easy to clock. Now doing the multiplayer trophies. Going to level 50 seems to be quite the grind.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#129 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 08 July 2010 - 06:14 PM

http://kotaku.com/55...ayer-poker-more

Red Dead Redemption Adding Zombies, Multiplayer Poker, More

There are four new expansions coming from Rockstar Games for the hit Western Red Dead Redemption. One of them will bring zombies. Plus... new animals? Red Dead Revolver characters? Anti-griefing somethings-or-other?

Rockstar outlined the four new paid expansions to Red Dead Redemption today, promising the next one for August and the following downloadable packs in the coming months. The DLC, which will be offered for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, expands the single player and multiplayer aspects of the game.

(The following summaries are quoted from a press release)

1) Legends and Killers Pack (Early August 2010, $10)

-New active map locations, characters and more
- 9 new multiplayer map locations — more than doubling the amount of territories in the multiplayer competitive modes
- 8 new multiplayer characters — play as characters from Red Dead Revolver
- Introducing a new projectile weapon: the Tomahawk, with corresponding challenges for single-player and multiplayer gameplay
- New achievements and trophies

2) Liars and Cheats Pack (TBD release date; $10)

- New competitive modes, multiplayer mini-games in Free Roam, and more
- Attack and Defend multiplayer competitive mode and challenges
- New multiplayer horse races, complete with mounted combat
- Play as the heroes and villains of Red Dead Redemption, as well as 8 additional multiplayer characters
- Multiplayer versions of Liars Dice and Poker from the single-player game
- Introducing a new weapon: the Explosive Rifle, with associated challenges available in single-player and multiplayer gameplay
- New achievements and trophies

3) Free Roam Pack (TBD release date; TBD price)

-Delve deeper into the world of Red Dead Redemption with
new modes, challenges and gang hideouts to discover
-New action areas and defensive placements
-Posse scoring and leaderboards
-New anti-griefing measures in Free Roam (Note from Stephen: Any theories on this, readers?)

4) Undead Nightmare Pack ("Fall" 2010; $10)

- Ghost towns and cemeteries come alive in a West gone horribly wrong
- Brand new single-player adventure, challenges and quests
- 8 new multiplayer zombie characters
- Additional animals unleashed in the world
- New dynamic events and more

Rockstar has not released any screenshots of the new modes, so you'll have to guess what their Red Dead zombies look like. Interesting DLC strategy for this game. Rockstar's last big games, Grand Theft Auto IV, received two massive single-player-centric add-ons released more than a year after the game and offering over a dozen hours of gameplay and story for $20. With Red Dead, Rockstar is creating smaller portions of content and releasing them much closer to release, emphasizing an expansion of multiplayer more than single-player. Both plans were ambitious, showing that Rockstar is serious about post-release support. (But not so serious, folks — zombies!)

#130 User is offline   Zanth13 

• We are not the same
  • Group: Kings of Drink

Posted 08 July 2010 - 09:24 PM

If there Zombie games are anything like Nazi zombies I will be in heaven... zombie killing heaven...

This post has been edited by Zanth13: 08 July 2010 - 09:24 PM

You can't find me because I'm lost in the music

#131 User is offline   Beezulbubba 

• ---

Posted 09 July 2010 - 03:56 PM

The zombie thing irritates me. In my opinion this is Rockstar chasing trends.

To me RDR's appeal is that it puts the player in the old west and has done an excellent job of creating that environment and vibe. Where the hell do zombies fit into this world? RDR invokes spaghetti westerns, Clint Eastwood, shoot outs outside a saloon, train robberies, outlaws...etc.

If Rockstar wants to introduce the supernatural element, why not work in a ghost story plot.... but zombies?!?!? boooooooo!Posted Image

#132 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 09 July 2010 - 05:30 PM

Yeah, boo to zombies. Wtf?

We want more bank robberies, train robberies, things to leave on railway tracks, stranger encounters, treasure maps with a longer trail to follow (way too few, not enough gold!) npcs to ally with (good, bad, and ugly); bridges to blow up, more destructive environment, and even more need strangers that need help from nameless strangers. And some shootout/duels with more people involved.

And more stuff to spend money on - fix the horses so they die if you ride non stop to Mexico (!) and have more of 'em (how many cars in GTA?) with real differences/traits useful in different situations. Maybe more places to buy, that you could build up by buying stuff for them.

So many additions to be made to an already excellent game... but... zombies?

BTW i am crap at poker. How the hell am I supposed to win in Blackwater? My strategy so far involves getting caught cheating, shooting the challenger, and so whittling down the opposition at the start.
Then I lose the game anyway.. :)

(I haven't lost a game of Liars Dice though; it must just be easier.)

This post has been edited by Traveller: 09 July 2010 - 05:35 PM

#133 User is offline   Beezulbubba 

• ---

Posted 09 July 2010 - 05:48 PM

My success to winning at poker in Blackwater:

1) Change into the slick outfit (the one that allows you to cheat in poker).... but don't cheat.
2) Join game
3) Go all in every hand (regardless if you have a good hand or not)

The players will start dropping like flies. Using this method, I eliminated the three players within 5 to 10 minutes. Maybe I was lucky, but it worked for me.

On the topic of cheating, I know the slick outfit is supposed to increase your success at cheating, but how does cheating work? I've never figured it out.

#134 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 09 July 2010 - 06:43 PM

View PostBeezulbubba, on 09 July 2010 - 05:48 PM, said:

1) Change into the slick outfit (the one that allows you to cheat in poker).... but don't cheat.
2) Join game

The players will start dropping like flies. Using this method, I eliminated the three players within 5 to 10 minutes. Maybe I was lucky, but it worked for me.

On the topic of cheating, I know the slick outfit is supposed to increase your success at cheating, but how does cheating work? I've never figured it out.

To cheat put on the elegant suit. When you deal, you get the opportunity to cheat.. press y (on xbox) to make an arrow on a slider appear, which wavers slightly - you have to keep it in the middle. When you finish dealing, if the arrow is in the centre, you get a card to hide away for later. It's not always a great card though. During play, you can swap this card for one in your hand - you have to do the slider thing again to see if you manage it undetected.

If the arrow isn't in the middle, you get caught and called out to a duel.

#135 User is offline   Beezulbubba 

• ---

Posted 09 July 2010 - 08:40 PM

I know how to get into cheat mode ... just not good at keeping the arrow in the middle. I thought maybe there was a certain technique to it.

#136 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 11 July 2010 - 07:44 AM

View PostBeezulbubba, on 09 July 2010 - 05:48 PM, said:

2) Join game

Cheers, that worked a treat on my first attempt.

On another note - I just finished the main story. I'm still undecided as to whether it was really good or really crap. I mean, as the story went, it was bound to play out like that, but all through those last missions I was anticipating
*END OF GAME SPOILER*
Spoiler

EDIT.. I've made up my mind, the end has definitely spoiled it for me. I wish something like that could have happened at the end of Dragon Age instead
Spoiler

This post has been edited by Traveller: 12 July 2010 - 12:10 PM

#137 User is offline   Beezulbubba 

• ---

Posted 12 July 2010 - 05:32 PM

The end of the main story thread was a letdown.... it was basically like doing the stranger missions. . . .

Spoiler

Now I have been dabbling in the Free Roam online. Most recently me and two other players went up around Aurora Basin and experienced the "cougar apocalypse." All while being pursued (and killed) by another player - - 34 level. The snow in the are was pink with our blood. If you haven't experienced the cougar apocalypse in Free Roam, you gotta give it a go.... it's awesome! It's not a planned design in the game, but more a glitch around the cabin up there where it starts spawning a lot of cougars.

We left Aurora Basin and ended doing some of the gang hideouts and then found this level 34 player riding around the Great Plains later on..... we exacted bloody justice. One thing we thought would be cool (and something we think would be awesome if Rockstar implemented) would be to capture another player with the rope and tie them to the train tracks or hang them for some real old westy style justice. Not sure how they could do that.... but make it happen Rock*! Also, include tandem riding on the horses. One guy can steer and ride like a madman while his partner on back can pick enemies off.

#138 User is offline   zpconn 

• Recruit

Posted 23 July 2010 - 05:24 PM

Some spoilers follow.
I hate to be a negative Nancy, but I really didn't enjoy this game. I mean, it's wonderful as a piece of technology--and being a former graphics programming enthusiast I assure you I have a lot of appreciation for graphical advances--but the gameplay amazingly did not pull me in at all. I say "amazingly" because I really liked GTAIV and in general love open world games. I thought I would be an ideal member of the target audience.

I think my lack of enjoyment stems from the following two facts:

(1) I didn't like the combat. With auto-aim on, it was too automated for me. With "expert" aiming, it was too hard to be fun. There was no good balance at all. And I hated the way the game just threw armies of random bandits at you. It felt silly and did not fit in at all with how seriously the game took its story.

(2) The story was not very good considering how seriously the game took itself. First, you're fighting to save a family you've never met. Second, most of the characters you meet are just ridiculous, in the bad way, not the charming way. Third, some of the most real and human characters like Bonnie are just eliminated early on (not killed--they just disappear from the game). Suffice it to say the RDR writers don't have Erikson's skill in handling large ensemble casts, so they can't get away with this stunt. Fourth, the ending--whatever. Fifth, John Marston's character is just utterly undefined, especially as far as morality is concerned. His entire moral character flip flops in nearly every single interaction. Sixth, the game really encourages you to operate within the law. I didn't think it was fun at all to break the law--it just got downright repetitive. Seven, the first half of the game, when you're hunting down Bill Williamson, is so unsatisfying. It's just artificial plot device piled on top of artificial plot device to make it take longer to get to him. When you finally reach him, he throws an implausibly large army at you. And then he just escapes. Whatever.

Gameplay-wise I felt RDR was a really big step back from GTAIV, although it did fix some big technical issues that the latter had.

Edit: I made this slightly less negative. :)

This post has been edited by zpconn: 24 July 2010 - 12:24 AM

#139 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:10 PM

It's funny how differently people perceive games. I loved almost everything about RDR, but found GTAIV so boring I couldn't bring myself to finish it.
Error: Signature not valid

#140 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 23 July 2010 - 09:02 PM

Generally I really enjoyed it. Most of it I loved - the hunting, the stranger missions that didn't involve collecting stuff, and the first part of the main story, centred round MacFarlene Ranch. The combat was a bit easy, but it was still fun. The first time you have to gather the cattle in the thunderstorm? That's when I really got hooked. It was the 'small' stuff I liked the most, I would have been perfectly happy with no main story. Instead, being able to set up a ranch from scratch, with a lot of associated missions, and the ability to use money from hunting, collecting bounties/robbing stuff.

Asspects I didn't like - the inconsistancy with Marstons character, as mentioned above. You could be shooting civilians one minute, and in the next cut scene, talking about how reformed and good you are. Also, the fact that you could just be riding into town,
and you might accidentally run over a stray mongrel. Suddenly you have a bounty on your head, and sheriffs appear, shooting to kill. Over a stray dog? The main story got dull for me when every mission involved a looong ride to another location, and the whole 'hunting down the gang' got re-used over and over. Caught up with them? Shot everyone? Oh no, so-and-so's escaped again somehow.

I am still annoyed about the end. I wanted payback, dammit!

Share this topic:

• 22 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users