• You cannot reply to this topic

The Red Dead (Redemption) Series AKA Rockstar's Grand Theft Equine

#101 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 07 June 2010 - 06:31 PM

View PostFist Gamet, on 07 June 2010 - 03:20 PM, said:

View PostTraveller, on 07 June 2010 - 12:45 PM, said:

Hey, take your format whining someplace else (my Xbox and Pc get along fine thanks) - this is the cowboy thread!

Apt - go get an xbox + this game. You can still use the pc for other stuff.

Someone on the RD website was trying for the dastardly achievement; he hogtied a woman, put her on the tracks, and waited. Just before the train arrives,
a sheriff gallops up, sticks her on his horse and rides off with her. Apparently.

Last night I had a couple of drinks in the saloon in Armadillo, then punched the guy next to me and everyone started randomly punching each other in a big bar fight.

Then you gun down the sheriff :D

I haven't gone down the evil outlaw route yet, gonna wait until I am near the end of the game then do a duplicate save for that. Very much looking forwards to riding in to Armadillo, all guns blazing, causing some mayhem, pulling out the bolt-action and taking out the posse that comes after me...or in Escalara and have the Mexican army come get me...oh man...also got me some banks to rob and a train full of passengers to hold up (*not sure if you can do that last one)

Or, lasso the sheriff, hogtie him, put him on your horse then ride out into the wilderness. Put him down, and sprinkle some animal bait near him..

I've not gone down the evil route, but you can have some fun after saves, or get away with more whilst wearing the face bandana thing. I haven't tried robbing stagecoaches. Yet.
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#102 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 09 June 2010 - 04:58 PM

BEat it. God I love this game. Now, time to check out the multiplayer before starting my second run through.
Error: Signature not valid

#103 User is offline   Fist Gamet 

• Mortal Sword
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Writing, reading, writing, climbing, writing, scuba diving and writing (not at the same time)

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:51 PM

Finished? I am close and find I am not sure I want the missions to end...the bloody duels are getting harder though!
Anyone else met the two guys who blow themselves up? That was pretty funny.

This post has been edited by Fist Gamet: 09 June 2010 - 09:52 PM

Victory is mine!

#104 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 09 June 2010 - 11:44 PM

Finished. End with 45 hours of play time for 98% completion (Damn you Mo van Barr glitch!). That is without padding my playtime with any more of the minigames than necessary to unlock my outfits. Considering I'm planning at least one more complete runthrough as a badguy, and have yet to even touch the multiplayer, I would say my price per hour of entertainment (an important rating factor for games to me) is going to be well under a dollar, which is superb.

I hope they throw out some beefy DLC for the singleplayer.

#105 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 10 June 2010 - 08:04 AM

I've not finished yet - keep getting sidetracked! What's the glitch that stops you from getting 100%?

Just finishing up in Mexico - missions are fun, but I'm not finding them difficult at all. I get killed more during random encounters - yesterday I'd finished a mission, was trotting back into town to savegame in my room, when a guy with a knife came out of the gate, chasing a woman. Usually I just shoot the bugger, but this time he caught her right in front of me, and started knifing her - my horses head was in the way, so when I drew I couldn't see him straight away, and he managed to shoot me before I could move my horse.

Also, I heard a guy in a gunfight yesterday, say something like ' goddarn, I just soiled myself..'
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#106 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 10 June 2010 - 03:28 PM

To get the deadly assassian outfit, one of the requirements is to do the mo van barr bounty. Sometimes his poster never shows up if you listen to the sheriff and shoot that guy (don't remember his name) in the legs early in the game. If you kill that guy mo van barr will be more likely to actually show up.

I guess I also need to get the outfit that requires you to do all of the hideouts in 24 hours. Not sure what that means. 24 hours gametime or real time?

#107 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 18 June 2010 - 09:41 AM

Any hints for how to do the last sharpshooter challenge? I've been trying in the bar - drinking moonshine, drawing my pistol, and trying to disarm 6 people. Only trouble is, when their guns are pointing right at you, it's harder to disarm without hitting them elsewhere.. even with the lower powered pistols.

And when I do think I've done it, nothing happens. Hm.

#108 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:15 AM

Just started playing this game today. Sooo awesome. Like, balls-to-the-wall awesome.

By the way, how the hell do you play horseshoes and where are all the animals located? I've got 3 out of 5 coyotes for the first hunting challenge and can't find any more, and I don't think I've ever seen a rabbit.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#109 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile

Posted 18 June 2010 - 01:06 PM

Just trot around away from the paths and roads, and you'll soon see what ever animals are located in that area. They vary at different time of the day - dawn, dusk, day and night. Some can only be found at specific times. Riding around Armadillo at night you'll see coyotes; go north of McFarlen Ranch at night though and you'll probably get eaten by a cougar. And, you can always use bait.

You can get rabbits early on in one of the first McFarlen Ranch missions for Bonnie. And horseshoes isn't too hard to play - I can't remember the controls, but you just have to swing your arm a few times, let go and see where it lands. Then adjust your next shot based on that.

Played Liars Dice last night, good game that. Was a bit disappointed with the stagecoach on the train tracks result - I wanted splinters! Had a fairly impressive suicide as though; riding alongside the train, trying to get on, when the track goes out over a ravine - no room to move or pull up, so me and the horse just went out over the edge, and down into the river.

Sploosh.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 18 June 2010 - 04:27 PM

#110 User is offline   Beezulbubba 

• ---
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Banned Users

Posted 18 June 2010 - 02:44 PM

Horse shoes is difficult, search YouTube for some tips. Most importantly aim with LT and LS (position the ringer at the center of the hand so it looks like you are flipping the bird - - - the ringer being your middle finger). Then (for me) when tossing the horse shoe I go by feel more then trying to hit the meter/gauge right on the middle line.

BTW, this game is awesome. Rockstar has really done an awesome job in recreating the "old west" environment. I find myself having more fun riding around (especially at night during a full moon) then doing the missions. I'm up north now and just finished the Sharpshooter/Hunter missing of killing three bears with one shot.... difficult without the buffalo gun.Posted Image

#111 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 18 June 2010 - 04:38 PM

View PostTraveller, on 18 June 2010 - 09:41 AM, said:

Any hints for how to do the last sharpshooter challenge? I've been trying in the bar - drinking moonshine, drawing my pistol, and trying to disarm 6 people. Only trouble is, when their guns are pointing right at you, it's harder to disarm without hitting them elsewhere.. even with the lower powered pistols.

And when I do think I've done it, nothing happens. Hm.

I was able to to it by going up on the balcony in the bar in Armadillo and shooting down on people. THis kept me from being overwhelmed, I could take my time.

#112 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 23 June 2010 - 05:50 AM

Was going for the US Army Outfit scrap by playing Poker in Blackwater. That's some addictive shit, let me tell you. Now, here I was, engaged in a fierce battle with ol' Buck Trimble, a fearsome opponent to be sure. About even numbers of chips, with the other two lickspittles barely holding on in the face of clear chip superiority. We were bleeding them dry - it got to one point where a guy had to go all in on the big blind. :D Anyway, I was out of the gate fast with two aces from the get go. Round of betting follows, pot goes into the low hundreds. Then out of nowhere two shining lassies flop into my lap, plus a measly seven. Another round follows and the pot exceeds one thousand - the other two have folded. I was sitting pretty with an ace/queen two pair, and presumably ol' Buck was too the way he was raisin' me. Pot steadily increases, and we're sitting at around 1500 chips in the pot after the turn - a four. Then, like a shining beauty from heaven, another shining queen comes crashing down onto the tabletop, bejewelled in diamonds. Here we was, ol' Buck Trimble and I, engaged in a fierce battle of wills, and I have myself not one, not two, but three royal beauties starin' up at him, while I held two aces up my sleeve, ready to strike.

But what's this? You're gonna raise me 400 chips, Buck? Ain't that cute, thinkin' you could challenge the big dog. I should reward you for your stones, mah boy, but this hand's just too good for that. How 'bout we raise it another 200? Now it's a real man's game.

I confidently lay down my cards - Full House, queens full of aces, smelling victory. Buck just smiles that country smile o' his, yes he do, and lays down his cards...

...four shining ladies, starin' back at me.

This post has been edited by MTS: 23 June 2010 - 05:55 AM

Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#113 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 23 June 2010 - 06:13 AM

XD ouch!

I actually saw a billboard advertising this today on my way into uni for my last exam. In New Zealand. A billboard. Advertising a game. Now everyone will know that this game *must* be something special! :D

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#114 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 23 June 2010 - 06:22 AM

Yeah I've seen billboards for this game in Melbourne too. Was surprised, to say the least lol.

Another expose on this game delighting in kicking my ass: I have lost 12 whole hands trying to win Five Finger Fillet in Torquemada. Just cannot get it. :D

Oh, and got attacked by 7 bears in a row yesterday.

This post has been edited by MTS: 23 June 2010 - 06:23 AM

#115 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 23 June 2010 - 07:10 AM

Is the DLC that just came out only on xbox? If so, I'm annoyed.

#116 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 23 June 2010 - 10:09 AM

No, pretty sure it's for PS3 as well. Probably just not on PSN yet.

#117 User is offline   Beezulbubba 

• ---

Posted 23 June 2010 - 02:27 PM

View PostMTS, on 23 June 2010 - 06:22 AM, said:

Another expose on this game delighting in kicking my ass: I have lost 12 whole hands trying to win Five Finger Fillet in Torquemada. Just cannot get it. :)

What worked for me was not watching the game but instead, looking at my controller and keeping a descent pace when going through the pattern. Round 1 and 2 were real easy. Round 3 pattern uses buttons A B Y and X, so looking at the controller and going at a brisk cadence proved successful for me.

As for bears, switch to the buffalo gun and shoot them in the face using your deadeye (one shot to the mug drops them). Wait until you have to knife a bear to complete Hunter Rank 8.

For me, cougars are the top predator in the game; bears are too slow, but if they get on top of you you're screwed. . . . knifing one is not a trivial task.

I have just the Survivalist Rank 10 to get, which entails getting something like 15 violet snowdrop in Tall Trees, and then two of every other plant in New Austin....grrrrr.

#118 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 23 June 2010 - 02:41 PM

View PostBeezulbubba, on 23 June 2010 - 02:27 PM, said:

View PostMTS, on 23 June 2010 - 06:22 AM, said:

Another expose on this game delighting in kicking my ass: I have lost 12 whole hands trying to win Five Finger Fillet in Torquemada. Just cannot get it. :)

What worked for me was not watching the game but instead, looking at my controller and keeping a descent pace when going through the pattern. Round 1 and 2 were real easy. Round 3 pattern uses buttons A B Y and X, so looking at the controller and going at a brisk cadence proved successful for me.

As for bears, switch to the buffalo gun and shoot them in the face using your deadeye (one shot to the mug drops them). Wait until you have to knife a bear to complete Hunter Rank 8.

For me, cougars are the top predator in the game; bears are too slow, but if they get on top of you you're screwed. . . . knifing one is not a trivial task.

I have just the Survivalist Rank 10 to get, which entails getting something like 15 violet snowdrop in Tall Trees, and then two of every other plant in New Austin....grrrrr.

Cheers for the tip man, I'll try that. Cannot get past the third guy (is there a fourth?). Still gotta do arm wrestling too. I find it funny some of these minigames are harder than the main story. :D

Knifing cougars is easy, mate. Harder than bears, certainly, but not really much to it. Either shoot it in the rump a couple times with the Cattleman and slash it across the face once, or meet it head on as it charges you, although you might have to slash it from horseback the last time. Harder when you can't see it, but by the time he runs away and comes back you'll be at full tilt again. Generally if you're on horseback when they strike you, you'll be right. Harder when there's two, but they only attack one at a time I've found (unlike bears...).

Survivalist one is easy. Tedious, but easy. I've got Sharpshooter Rank 10 to get, that's impossible. Anyway, go to Manzanita and buy a Survivalist Map. While you're riding up to Tall Trees, collect two Hummingbird Sage. When you get above the snowline and you're seeing the plants, use your map and quickly collect the ten Snowdrops. Then ride down to Beecher's Hope and get the Golden Currant and the other one. Fast travel to the swamps south of Thieves' Landing and collect the Wild Feverfew, then ride over to Rio Bravo and get the Red Sage. Fast travel to Gaptooth Ridge and get the Desert Sages, then fast travel down to Punto Orgullo and Perdido to get the three plants around there (don't bother fast traveling between them). If you do it quickly, you don't even have to search at all - 15 minutes tops.

This post has been edited by MTS: 23 June 2010 - 02:42 PM

#119 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 23 June 2010 - 05:57 PM

ONe thing to remember about that sharpshooter chalenge, if you go in to deadeye, it refills your ammo, but doesn't count as a reload. Keep the zoom button held down so you don't put you gun away, and make sure you have stuff to refill your deadeye metet. Oh, and do it from the balcony in the bar in Armadillo.

#120 User is offline   Beezulbubba 

• ---

Posted 23 June 2010 - 07:19 PM

Yep.... keep the left trigger (Xbox) deployed. And be sure to stock up on chewing 'backy, moonshine...etc. to replenish your deadeye and medicine for health. You can go into the menus (satchel and map/journal menu) while you have your gun drawn, it's kind of tricky though, as I found once in the menu I had to release the left trigger to move around and select moonshine or chewy 'backy to replenish my meter.... just make sure you pull back on the LT button before you exit out of the menu.

I did it in the bar in Thieve's Landing. 1) shooting someone does not bring the sheriff (ie. wanted status is not affected). I guess this is because you are in a town that is full of criminals (hence the name Thieve's Landing) and 2) Go behind the bar and draw your gun. Once you take out the guns drawn on you, you can walk to a door in the back of the bar and return that way and it will reset the patrons in the bar.

Also regarding Five Finger Fillet, I believe there are 3 challengers and 6 rounds (2 rounds/challenger).

I completed Survivalist Rank 10. Stupid me, I just needed to look at stats for that task and I found I only needed to collect 2 prickly pears, 2 butterfly weeds, 1 woolly blue curl and 1 red sage. Most of these were in the western part of Mexico, so it didn't take too long. Once all of the challenges are complete you get the Legend of the West outfit.... which is sweet!

This post has been edited by Beezulbubba: 23 June 2010 - 07:20 PM

Share this topic:

• 22 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users