• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Red Dead (Redemption) Series AKA Rockstar's Grand Theft Equine

#61 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 01 June 2010 - 07:05 PM

I do not enjoy the poker. NOt the fault of the game, I just don't really enjoy poker. There's a couple of outfit challenges that require it, and those were the worst partxs of the game for me. A lot of people seem to love it though.
Error: Signature not valid

#62 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 01 June 2010 - 07:07 PM

View PostRaymond Luxury Yacht, on 01 June 2010 - 07:05 PM, said:

I do not enjoy the poker. NOt the fault of the game, I just don't really enjoy poker. There's a couple of outfit challenges that require it, and those were the worst partxs of the game for me. A lot of people seem to love it though.

The poker in Armadillo is easy. I haven't done the high-stakes game yet, which is the other outfit challenge I have seen.

Liars Dice is rather fun.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#63 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 01 June 2010 - 07:08 PM

It was easy until I got it down to one guy, who kept folding for an hour.

#64 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 01 June 2010 - 07:13 PM

Thats why I found it easy, they fold if they dont have the cards and they bid if they do.

The game in Mexico is quite a bit tougher so far.

Yeah, i really enjoy Liars Dice. Cant sit and play blackjack though.

Horseshoes is pretty damn tough. Its sad that i'm better in real life than on this game, cause i suck at horseshoes. Give me the washers.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#65 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 01 June 2010 - 07:33 PM

Horeshoes is easy once you get the hang of it.

I do

Back all the way, hard forward.
Back all the way, hard forward, fire.

Kind of like my sex life.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#66 User is offline   Jusentantaka 

• Emperor

Posted 01 June 2010 - 10:29 PM

View PostObdigore, on 01 June 2010 - 07:33 PM, said:

I do

two thrusts and done?

#67 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 01 June 2010 - 11:11 PM

I decided to say fuck the treasure hunting challenge and cheat off of the internet. So glad I did, that shit would be damn near impossible to figure out. My hat is off to anyone who is able to find all of those treasures without cheating.

#68 User is offline   Fist Gamet 

• Mortal Sword
  • Interests:Writing, reading, writing, climbing, writing, scuba diving and writing (not at the same time)

Posted 02 June 2010 - 05:16 AM

God yeah, finding that second treasure was a total nightmare. You know, I have hunted and skinned dozens of wolves, but when I decide to go for the hunters challenge and pull my knife...nary a wolf to be found, just goddam cougars!
Victory is mine!

#69 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 02 June 2010 - 08:10 AM

The third is even worse. I honestly think the treasure hunting part was included just to get dumb people to by the strategy guide. (Seriously, who buys those instead of just using the internet?)

Oh, and enjoy those cougars while you can. Once you need them, they will disappear.

#70 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 02 June 2010 - 10:10 AM

Waiting for this game is killing me...why do I have to come into this thread?
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#71 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 02 June 2010 - 11:55 AM

I watched 'The Outlaw Josey Wales' at the weekend.. good film, serious influence to the game imo.. right down to the scar on Marstons face. And the random strangers that need help. Go watch if you're liking the game.

The machine gun made an appearance when I was playing last night - straight out of the film, carriage mounted and everything; closely followed by the rope ferry crossing.

I'm into Mexico now. I found the first 3 treasures ok - the one in Rio del lobos took longer as I followed the wrong campsite for ages and got attacked by wolves every five minutes.

Not too keen on the poker, but I managed to spend about an hour searching for a goddamn raccoon.

Still not certain about the 'duelling' controls - seems to do something different every time. I usually end up shooting the guys gun out of his hand, but whenever I haven't saved for a while it goes wrong, and I get shot.

(Anyone know exactly what gets lost when you die? Hunted items disappear, but saved targets stay. What about honour/fame that's been gained or lost? Does that reset to last save? I don't know whether it's worth reloading or just carrying on.)

This post has been edited by Traveller: 02 June 2010 - 12:06 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#72 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 02 June 2010 - 12:01 PM

View PostJusentantaka, on 01 June 2010 - 10:29 PM, said:

View PostObdigore, on 01 June 2010 - 07:33 PM, said:

I do

two thrusts and done?

I believe that was the point of the joke, yes.

#73 User is offline   Fist Gamet 

• Mortal Sword
  • Interests:Writing, reading, writing, climbing, writing, scuba diving and writing (not at the same time)

Posted 02 June 2010 - 07:02 PM

Well sod the treasure hunting then. Not sure what you lose when you die, though I am pretty sure it's not everything since the last save, which is weird. You definitely lose skins - twice I nailed four wolves with the knife before finally being pulled down and eaten (North of McFarlane's where the boars be at, I ended up killing over 20 wolves in one insane spree when they just kept coming) thus losing my skins. The bonus was that the fight was during a lightning storm at dusk, which was awesome.
I too find the dueling a bit of a pain in the arse. I get what you are meant to do but I can't seem to get Marsden to simply draw and plug one off right away, I seem to end up clicking four or five marks in deadeye to get the meter up quick enough. :o
Victory is mine!

#74 User is offline   Zeranamu 

• Recruit

Posted 02 June 2010 - 08:09 PM

View PostTraveller, on 02 June 2010 - 11:55 AM, said:

(Anyone know exactly what gets lost when you die? Hunted items disappear, but saved targets stay. What about honour/fame that's been gained or lost? Does that reset to last save? I don't know whether it's worth reloading or just carrying on.)

Pretty sure at most you just maybe lose some money. If you check your items you should still have all your hunted stuff (skins, meats, flowers, etc) - I've gone hours without saving, died multiple times, and still had all my crap. I've never gotten a notification as to losing honor/fame. If you're in the middle of a side-quest you have to go back and start over from wherever you left off, but since those don't generally involve mowing down a lot of people its not really an issue. More of a, you're dead, time to respawn. Same as GTA - when you died, you lost like, some money. And the car you were driving.

This post has been edited by Zeranamu: 02 June 2010 - 08:10 PM

#75 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 02 June 2010 - 10:47 PM

If it hasn't autosaved you lose everything. Autosaving occurs when you accomplish something significant, so if you've been doing nothing but hunting for hours and then die, it's all lost. If before you die you finish a level of the hunting challenge though, it will have auto saved.

I don't get dfuelling either. i either blast the guy with about 20 shots, or I lose.

#76 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 03 June 2010 - 12:28 AM

You're supposed to quick draw and place some precision shots on his body before his gun gets up. It's not that hard if you've played Red Dead Revolver. :o

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#77 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove

Posted 03 June 2010 - 02:44 AM

THat's what I'm doing, but I want to win a duel properly, with one shot, instead of going fully automatic and shredding him like I'm Jese Ventura.

#78 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 03 June 2010 - 02:56 AM

Sounds like there's more hunting going on in this game than Oregon Trail.

99 Boxes of ammunition please.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#79 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 03 June 2010 - 12:20 PM

My problem with the duelling is the single tutorial, with no further assistance. I either seem to be able to fire one shot which hits his gun hand, or nothing happens and I get plugged. To be honest I'm too busy aiming to notice the meters - what do they do?

Just had a fun shoot-out on the train, followed by a bobcat attack. Off to get more treasure, as I passed the rio del toro on the way.

This post has been edited by Traveller: 03 June 2010 - 12:21 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#80 User is offline   Fist Gamet 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 03 June 2010 - 01:11 PM

There is a thread on the forum "reddead.net" that explains how to duel, with a link to a youtube video. Finally makes sense now.

http://www.reddead.n...ead-how-to-duel
Victory is mine!

Share this topic:

• 22 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users