• 18 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Abyss just finished and... and... and... Rate Topic: -----

#301 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 19 November 2009 - 09:36 AM

The man writes for four hours a day. The rest of his time is probably spent browsing the forum. :w00t:

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#302 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 19 November 2009 - 10:06 AM

I think he still has a life...:w00t:
Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimistic´s worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. It´s bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#303 User is offline   Ain't_It_Just_ 

• The Recidivist
  • Group: LHTEC
  • Interests:Dungeons and Dragons, and the odd caramel slice.
  • The AIJman cometh

Posted 20 November 2009 - 08:55 AM

View PostSilencer, on 19 November 2009 - 09:36 AM, said:

The man writes for four hours a day. The rest of his time is probably spent browsing the forum. :w00t:

It'd be awesome if at the conclusion of TCG, he came on here and told us of nay forum things that he worked into the books. :w00t:
Suck it Errant!

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum...and I'm all out of gum."

QUOTE (KeithF @ Jun 30 2009, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It has been proven beyond all reasonable doubt that the most powerful force on Wu is a bunch of messed-up Malazans with Moranth munitions.

#304 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 20 November 2009 - 06:15 PM

I remain confident that in the end, the Crippled God will be defeated by bacon.

- Abyss, ....'Fener'... of course i meant 'Fener'...
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#305 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 20 November 2009 - 07:39 PM

View PostAbyss, on 20 November 2009 - 06:15 PM, said:

I remain confident that in the end, the Crippled God will be defeated by bacon.

- Abyss, ....'Fener'... of course i meant 'Fener'...

mmm god of war bacon... garrglghgarggl *drools*
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#306 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 20 November 2009 - 08:42 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 19 November 2009 - 09:22 AM, said:

View PostTraveller, on 18 November 2009 - 08:33 PM, said:

I know the quote about the timeline has been attributed as a nod to the forum.. has anyone mentioned the bit where Shoaly has his feet in the fire?

'Am I done yet, Primly?'
'Crispy bacon, I'd wager.'
'Gods, I love bacon.'

May just be a bit of a coincidence, but hey, we've had plenty of bacon threads..

If SE reads the Inn enough to see all the bacon threads then he procrastinates worse than me when he is supposed to be writing. Which means The Crippled God can be finished by Christmas if he pulls his finger out!

Nope, I reckon that if he picked one random day of the year and had a look in the Inn, he'd see BACON!! written somewhere, with accompanying picture/poll/numerous exclamation marks!

(actually, it would be pretty funny if a 'Dance with Dragons' turned out to be full of Bacon, Pink vests, and discussions about who is the best swordsman...)

This post has been edited by Traveller: 20 November 2009 - 09:01 PM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#307 User is offline   Leigh1992 

• Recruit

Posted 26 November 2009 - 01:20 AM

just going back before the bacon bit :o
correct me if i missunderstood something but didnt Olar Ethil proclaim herself as Burn the sleeping goddess and also the Eres'al mother of herself??? that kinda blew my mind!!

and a little bit ago someone was saying that d'rek was old old or elder or something? but d'rek is poliel and poliel was killed by a shard from an otateral sword so she cant be elder seeing how "elder magic isnt affected by otateral"

#308 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 26 November 2009 - 01:55 AM

View PostLeigh1992, on 26 November 2009 - 01:20 AM, said:

correct me if i missunderstood something but didnt Olar Ethil proclaim herself as Burn the sleeping goddess and also the Eres'al mother of herself??? that kinda blew my mind!!

The possibility exists that she was lying (in part or wholly) - or completely off her rocker. Or telling the unvarnished truth. At this point, I'm prepared for any of the above.

and a little bit ago someone was saying that d'rek was old old or elder or something? but d'rek is poliel and poliel was killed by a shard from an otateral sword so she cant be elder seeing how "elder magic isnt affected by otateral"

Where did you get this "D'rek is Poleil" from?
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#309 User is offline   Leigh1992 

• Recruit

Posted 26 November 2009 - 02:13 AM

View Postamphibian, on 26 November 2009 - 01:55 AM, said:

View PostLeigh1992, on 26 November 2009 - 01:20 AM, said:

The possibility exists that she was lying (in part or wholly) - or completely off her rocker. Or telling the unvarnished truth. At this point, I'm prepared for any of the above.

Where did you get this "D'rek is Poleil" from?

hmm good question. partly from the glossarly of GotM and DG but in the bonehunters (or possible HoC those two kinda mash together for me i dunno where which starts and the other ends) when all the preists of d'rek are being killed by their patron it is show to be poliel who is doing it and then banaschar in DoD and RG is always going on about he is the only preist of D'rek that wasnt taken by his own god apart from tayschrenn and now his god is dead and all... i may be slightly off but i recon all these things point to poliel lol.
the glossary does say "D'rek worm of autumn (sometimes mistress of disease see poliel" and "poliel lady of pestilence" but i always took this as the one god having two different titles and doing different jobs at different times and i remember i think its from either the prologue of BH or one of the poems or stories at the start of something but the poem is about poliel and it refers to her being predominant in autumn when all the growth of summer is rotting and decaying - i always took this to be a sign that poliel was also the worm of autumn and so on... please tell me if you find this info for sure and im wrong cause there is the slight possibility my mind is just making things up to sound smart :o

#310 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 26 November 2009 - 07:17 AM

Alright, I can see where that comes from.
However, D'rek is distinct from Poliel, as far as I'm aware. Poliel is the Mistress of Pestilence, while D'rek is the Worm of Autumn. Early glossaries aside, one is to do with natural decay and death, while the other is to do with disease and plague.
D'rek killed all her disciples because "they made the wrong choice" - i.e. they chose to serve the Crippled God. Poliel is Consort of House Chains, so this would be a rather large contradiction of motive, no? :o
Now, the scene in the Grand Temple of Poliel (note, this Grand Temple is in G'danisban, while the Grand Temple of D'rek is in Kartool), the goddess is shown to be taking her servants as lovers, using them up, and discarding them. Not the mass deaths that occurred in the Temple in the prologue.
I'm re-reading DoD now, but I wasn't aware that D'rek had died.

As I say, I'm not 100% on that, but the glossaries early on are not to be trusted - part of the reason SE stopped putting them in. I'll see what more I can dig up...

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#311 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 26 November 2009 - 03:32 PM

Drek and Poliel are NOT the same, but there is that confusing glossary entry. write it off as overlap between disease and rot.

Paran took out Poliel in TB while Drek is still hanging out in Bana's belly in RG and DoD.

- Abyss, wormed his way out of that one.

#312 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 26 November 2009 - 07:26 PM

Yeah, you could say that sometimes their aspects mingle, and so D'rek may be occasionally worshipped in a capacity similar to that of Poliel's.

Shinrei said:

#313 User is offline   Leigh1992 

• Recruit

Posted 27 November 2009 - 12:25 AM

haha okies i just took all banaschar's winging about his god being dead to true :o oh well i s'pose thats been cleared up.

#314 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 27 November 2009 - 04:35 PM

Does he ever say Drek is dead? I could be misremembering but doesn't Bana just whine a lot about rot and other fun happy stuff?

- Abyss, ate a tequila worm once.

#315 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 27 November 2009 - 06:58 PM

i don't think d'rek is dead. telorast and curdle can "smell" the worm in banaschar, so its a good bet she's still there, wriggling around in his guts. (or w.e it is that worm goddesses wriggle)
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#316 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 07 December 2009 - 08:51 PM

RichieDiaz raised a point elsethread that made my thinkymeatz tingle...

Stormy and Gesler were Fener Cultists before the Big Pig got Jaded and they were adopted into the KCHAIN CHE'MALLE ALL OUT LIZARD ASSAULT ARMY OF AWESOME. And as far as we see, they never really gave up on Fener(, although in HoC they do swear an oath on Fener AND Trake.)

Fener is on Leth. Not so very far away from events in the Wastelands.

And now two of his remaining worshippers, already bordering on ascendent, just got a major power up.

One can't help but wonder whether SE is setting up for the WarHog to be linked to the K'Chain.

- Abyss, waits for the legion of K'chain B'acon...

#317 User is offline   ritchiediaz 

• Lieutenant

Posted 07 December 2009 - 09:03 PM

View PostAbyss, on 07 December 2009 - 08:51 PM, said:

One can't help but wonder whether SE is setting up for the WarHog to be linked to the K'Chain.

- Abyss, waits for the legion of K'chain B'acon...

Cheers, I agree it belongs onin this thread - for completeness:-

Stormy, Gelser & K'Chain
Heboric being in Kaylyth's dream
Heboric, Stormy & Gesler are all linked to Fener
Heboric put his 'alien' stump into Stormy's wound adding a further link.
Fener is lurking in Letheras somehow connected to Errastas.

Especially Heboric in Kalyth's acid trip - too many links to Fener to be just coincidence. I'll need to check that dream sequence to see if there is any quotes with some direct relevance.

I don't want to get to carried away, but assuming that the Forkrul Assail have a big part to play in Kolanse, Errastas has a huge part in FA history, and looks to be central to the events in the Crippled God too due to freeing the OD. I'm wondering whether Errastas is thinking of using Fener in some way, but won't be able to due to K'Chain involvement.
Possibly a step too far, but there is a lot of links here!

This post has been edited by ritchiediaz: 07 December 2009 - 09:51 PM

#318 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 07 December 2009 - 09:19 PM

The Errant assisting Fener was one of the few nice things Errant did in the books, tho it's fair to wonder whether he had alterior motives.

Your Heboric/Kalyth point is also a very good one... it can't be a complete coincidence that the (sometimes) dead destriant of Fener is appearing to the brand shiny new destriant of the KC just as they were about to go to war against the Nahruk.

Interesting.

- Abyss, awaits the K'Chain Pork'chop legions!

#319 User is offline   Paran 

• High Fist

Posted 08 December 2009 - 09:07 AM

ORSM thread! Few things to add:
1. Henar Vygath - was he the assassin that was protecting the Edur leader from the assassination attempts in RG when the Letherii/Edur were at war with Redmask?
2. Forkrul Assail - as far I understand, they were harnessing power in the area but doing whatever they did to the children of the snake's parents, etc, under the instructions of Kilimandaros and Knuckles. This was their game and gambit to return to power, and they were using Errastas to facilitate this. The ritual was the harnessing of this power for their gods/parents. he CG was/is obviously interested in this power, as would any other ascendant as they would wish to make it their own. As has been mentioned a few times, the motivations of all are not as they seem - a lot of the players are using the CG and this was as a subterfuge to further their own agendas, especially the elder gods.
3. Icarium - pretty sure that at some point he talked to Krul to learn about the warrens, and then of course, went about trying to recreate these is Lether when he arrived previously as they didn't have any due to Gothos' ritual. He probably enlisted Mael's assistance in this then. Whether he attempted to use it then is not clear, but it would be a reason for him being the way he is.
4. Heboric - super dope pure otataral hands? ('Cos he ain't goin' out like dat!)
5. Gods of War - it was hinted in the book that they were formenting the wars for their own benefit/power/existance?
6. Will be honest and say that I'm not sure war bacon would be as tempting as first though... will it be succulent and streaky? I think not - that Fener bloke sounded like he was in shape, low body fat, and honestly, a bit of a hard arse. Not the recipe for great crispy bacon I say. Especially now that he's in hiding and probably malnurished!
"The harder the world, the fiercer the honour" - Dancer

#320 User is offline   Hellian's Keg Lid 

• Shiksa Goddess

Posted 08 December 2009 - 11:22 AM

1- That guy died when that whole contingent got wiped out by the Barghast, his name I think (and will look up) is something with a G.

And the rest I am leaving to other people because I tripped over my own feet this morning, faceplanted into the floor and garnered a bashed-face. aka I shouldn't be let near large subjects :)
Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow.

Share this topic:

• 18 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

8 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users