Abyss just finished and... and... and... Rate Topic: -----

#261 User is offline   Aooga 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 08 November 2009 - 08:15 AM

Aooga, on 05 November 2009 - 03:51 AM, said:

Abyss, on 05 November 2009 - 12:16 AM, said:

Aooga, on 04 November 2009 - 02:49 PM, said:

- What ritual are the FA preparing in Kolanse?

Uncertain but whatever it is the CG is involved and its bad. probably some way to free him.

Ok but what makes you think they are preparing a ritual in the first place?

The book tells us so.

understood...was wondering rather if you could pint out the relevant section in the book that states this? I just don't remember coming across this detail at all.

my theories on Ruthan Gudd:

what do we know so far?
- Humna in appearance and uncomfortable with his beard.
- has Storm Rider weaponry.
- Buddy buddy with Greymane
- Knew Draconus from before he got Dragnipured. Does not seem to get along with him and suggestion that an outcome of any confrantation cannot be determined one way or the other.
- escaped from an Azath that died during the Fall of the Crippled God.

From this I would hazard a guess that he is not human but rather taking a human form, is very fucking old, not an Elder God (since what we know of them suggests that Azaths can't hold them against their will) and so, I think, most probably he's some kind of Tiste.

#262 User is offline   Aooga 

• Sergeant

Posted 08 November 2009 - 01:25 PM

ROTCG and TtH major spoilers...hope that's allowed?
edit: read the official policy thread and we are GO for spoilers.

The timeline is not important, the timeline is not important but.......how come no one knows yet that Laseen is dead? I mean Tavore probably knows because we basically don't know a thing about what she does or does not...but I mean in a general sense...The Empress is dead so wouldn't some talents in the Bonehunters have stumbled over that bit of gossip? any reason why Erikson might have let news of Rake out but not Laseen?

and completely off topic but will ask here because of teh attention thsi thread is getting but this is a Rake vs. Daseem question:
- Why was it necessary for Daseem to kill Rake? couldn't Rake just say hey too late, Hood is dead nyah nyah nyah and then fall on his own sword? why the drama - more poetic that way?

This post has been edited by Aooga: 08 November 2009 - 03:05 PM

#263 User is offline   The Dark Wanderer 

• Captain

Posted 08 November 2009 - 01:34 PM

I think the reason that no one knows about Lassen is more about the consequences rather than the individual. Rake's death led to the destruction of Dragnipur, the abandonment of hood's realm, the re-awakening of Mother Dark, while Lassen's death only affected the Malazan Empire. Although i wouldn't be surprised if ST, Tavore and QB (and maybe a few others) do know, but just haven't bothered to tell anyone!

#264 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 08 November 2009 - 03:26 PM

To Laseen - question is who knows that laseen is dead. She died in well protected tent... maybe Mallick simply plays background chess and clean his path with saying "yes, she was hurt, no I wont let anyone in, we´ve take care of her"... and his renegade Claws slays potential threats.

To Ruthan Gudd - doesn´t we forget one thing? As Greymane he looks to be connected with House of...ugh, Life? Damn, I forgot with whom is Greymane connected in RotCG!!! Anyone helps here? Maybe it has connection to Stormwall...
Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimistic´s worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. It´s bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#265 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 09 November 2009 - 01:18 AM

Greymane seems to have a connection to burn, or maybe Tennes her warren
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#266 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 09 November 2009 - 02:26 AM

View PostUlrik, on 06 November 2009 - 10:19 PM, said:

Arent acorns used to contact his mates?
In HoC thru one arrives QB to kalam dealing with kamist Reloe and I think that in DoD thru another is Fiddler warned. But I do not have book here, so...

Right. But how does he do that? My theory (and I repeat, my theory based on very little evidence other than a hunch) is that a soul is somehow loosely bound to the acorn for a while. When I have some time, I'll go back and find out what exactly Kalam and Fiddler carried. They might not have had acorns, but stones or something similar.

I do know that QB scattered acorns around him just before taking on the Nah'ruk.

View PostUlrik, on 08 November 2009 - 03:26 PM, said:

She died in well protected tent...

She did not. She died after the tent with the scattered otataral business, on the battlefield. Vorcan's daughter appeared behind her and killed her as Very-Skilled-Yet-Dramatically-Not-Confident-In-Abilities Claw watched helplessly.

This post has been edited by amphibian: 09 November 2009 - 07:01 PM

I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#267 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 09 November 2009 - 05:32 AM

you mean taya right?

- Oscar Levant

#268 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 09 November 2009 - 05:38 AM

No one in DoD knows Laseen is dead because it happened on the other side of the world more or less just before or during the events in DoD.

The acorns could be souls, possibly not even QB's own. hey could also be bound demons, invested constructs, or just really, really, powerful acorns. Elder Acorns, even,;)

Greymane is carrying around a stone sword that appears to be analugous to Brood's hammer in terms of Burn.

- Abyss, wonders if Kurald Acorn is a warren.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#269 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 09 November 2009 - 05:56 AM

Can't the acorns just be enchanted items? He binds a spell to them in preparation, and then stores them.

He gave a stone to Menandore (stealth-like), he used an acorn twice in relation to Kalam - sort of as a "I need help" and a homing beacon cross. They're like magical foci, too, in that regard.
With the Nah'ruk he used them like magical cussers, further implying to me that he was using them as pre-prepared spells so that he didn't expend too much energy in the confrontation, leaving him still fresh even after taking out plenty of enemies.

As for why no-one knows that Laseen died...she's...Laseen. Her death does not leave a void in the power gap of ascendants, certainly not on the scale of Rake or Hood. Nor does it compare to the shattering of Dragnipur and the arrival of Draconus. It's a matter of the really loud nuclear explosion over the hill drowning out the gun fire down the street. Rake's death had...ripples. Laseen's did not.

And the whole "Why did Rake have to fight Dassem" thing has no immediate answer, other than that SE wanted him to.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#270 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 09 November 2009 - 06:06 AM

View PostSilencer, on 09 November 2009 - 05:56 AM, said:

Can't the acorns just be enchanted items? He binds a spell to them in preparation, and then stores them.

Agreed. S.O.P. here for Quick, and too many have been tossed aside so far, throughout the series, to be actual canon incorporated souls.

<SNIP>

And the whole "Why did Rake have to fight Dassem" thing has no immediate answer, other than that SE wanted him to.

If DoD says anything about Rake, it is that Rake plans out everything. Therefore, Rake was in with ST and Cots, agreed with their goal, and willingly walked into that situation.

This post has been edited by HoosierDaddy: 09 November 2009 - 06:07 AM

Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#271 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 09 November 2009 - 03:52 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 09 November 2009 - 06:06 AM, said:

Agreed. S.O.P. here for Quick, and too many have been tossed aside so far, throughout the series, to be actual canon incorporated souls.

Or at least, not likely to be HIS souls.

that said, he was pretty put out to recover that stone from the CG in MoI. I'm not certain the pebble in MoI and the COMBAT STRIKE ACORNS OF DOOM in DoD were necessarily the same type of thing, but in theory any investment that provides a link to a mage's power involves the soul in some way.

If DoD says anything about Rake, it is that Rake plans out everything. Therefore, Rake was in with ST and Cots, agreed with their goal, and willingly walked into that situation.

see here: http://forum.malazan...showtopic=14688

- Abyss, gots the thinkymeatz workin', yes he does...

#272 User is offline   Aooga 

• Sergeant

Posted 09 November 2009 - 08:48 PM

awesome summary Abyss. Thanks. All seems to make more sense.

Well now that Hood is alive again things may be looking up for good old Daseem. Wonder if SE takes that one or leave it to ICE like every other cool character, group or place so far. I swear that irks me a bit. I love everything I read about the Crimson Guard & Skinner, The Seguleh, The Stormriders, Assail and that's all with ICE now.....including Karsa, Kruppe and Kallor it seems.... :S

#273 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 09 November 2009 - 09:28 PM

Considering the sheer scope of what SE has written, we're lucky ICE is around to pick up some of those threads and run with them, because even with the mother of all doorstoppers, there is no way TCG is going to wrap up EVERYTHING.

I don't need total closure, i just need to read a damn good story. Sometimes unfinished elements add to that.

- Abys

(...heehee, see what i did there?)

#274 User is offline   Aooga 

• Sergeant

Posted 09 November 2009 - 09:40 PM

Yes but I'm selfish and want SE to do Daseem vs. Hood, Skinner vs. Seguleh Second and Iron Bars vs. Stormriders . *grumble grumble*

#275 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 09 November 2009 - 09:49 PM

Give ICE a chance, we haven't got his best work yet i'm betting, could be he'll come into his own and blow minds as well as SE ever could.

- Oscar Levant

#276 User is offline   Spiridon_Deannis 

• Sergeant

Posted 10 November 2009 - 03:46 AM

View PostSinisdar Toste, on 09 November 2009 - 09:49 PM, said:

Give ICE a chance, we haven't got his best work yet i'm betting, could be he'll come into his own and blow minds as well as SE ever could.

Well...I sure hope so, because so far...RotCG was serviceable, but that's it...kind of a *McG does a 90-minute version of Godfather 1 and 2 combined* serviceable...

#277 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 10 November 2009 - 06:22 AM

View PostAbyss, on 09 November 2009 - 09:28 PM, said:

Considering the sheer scope of what SE has written, we're lucky ICE is around to pick up some of those threads and run with them, because even with the mother of all doorstoppers, there is no way TCG is going to wrap up EVERYTHING.

I don't need total closure, i just need to read a damn good story. Sometimes unfinished elements add to that.

- Abys

On the nature of that post (epic, btw, to have seen it that clearly before DoD made the entire stupid "Who'd win in a swordfight thread" more redundant than saying "epic win" on this forum) it's obvious Hood was never "dead dead" he was only "mostly dead." Or, in other words, could Hood be the first ascendant who ascended to near Elder God level?

(...heehee, see what i did there?)

Agreed. Every romance needs a little mystery. And, we obviously heart SE....

-HD

(Saw what you did there, felt it would have been better if you would have cut it ear....)

This post has been edited by HoosierDaddy: 10 November 2009 - 06:37 AM

Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#278 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 10 November 2009 - 04:32 PM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 10 November 2009 - 06:22 AM, said:

... it's obvious Hood was never "dead dead" he was only "mostly dead." Or, in other words, could Hood be the first ascendant who ascended to near Elder God level?

That's a tricky one because Jaghut, or at least the older ones like Gothos, seem to operate at god-like levels generally.

It's a fuzzy line because we've seen multiple examples of Jaghut who weren't THAT powerful... the Seer's mom being taken out by Imass, Cynnigig hiding, Aramala stuck under a rock, Ganath getting headsmacked by a sneaky Nah'ruk... but even then we have Raest, Gothos, Huntress perhaps, who are HUGELY powerful.

And arguably the Jaghut War on Death took place waaaaaay back when, and the Jaghut who became Hood was a leader among Jaghut even then, so his power level must be impressive.... which of course casts another light on QB ambushing him via Talamanadas in MoI, tho i hold to my theory that Hood actually played QB that time.

Point being, Hood at the height of his power probably exceeded that of most Elder Gods at the height of theirs.

- Abyss, hoodwinked.

#279 User is offline   Sixty 

• Don't be fooled. I am very serious.
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:08 AM

View PostAbyss, on 09 November 2009 - 03:52 PM, said:

View PostHoosierDaddy, on 09 November 2009 - 06:06 AM, said:

Or at least, not likely to be HIS souls.

that said, he was pretty put out to recover that stone from the CG in MoI. I'm not certain the pebble in MoI and the COMBAT STRIKE ACORNS OF DOOM in DoD were necessarily the same type of thing, but in theory any investment that provides a link to a mage's power involves the soul in some way.

see here: http://forum.malazan...showtopic=14688

- Abyss, gots the thinkymeatz workin', yes he does...

Wasn't the QB thing in MoI that the stone provided a pathway for tCG to control him or something since he had invested it? The same way he managed to grab hold of Hood.

#280 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:14 AM

In MoI, Quick gave a stone to track the trader who had created the new "House of Chains" Deck of Dragons Cards for Kaminsod. After the artist (who becomes someone in his House later, Cripple I believe) gives them to Kaminsod, Quick is drawn there when he goes investigating.

Kaminsod, who is the ultimate power in his tent-warren, blocks Quick from leaving. And, yes, he does desperately try to regain his pebble from him, as it is a "string" as discussed between Bottle and Quick in the latter half of DoD. (Like a knuckle in the hole alarm, trigger sort of thing.)

The point remains, they are randomly used easily discarded items that Quick uses. Why use something expensive? That'd just be dumb.

Share this topic:

• 18 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

46 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 46 guests, 0 anonymous users