#341 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 26 February 2010 - 06:22 PM

MTS, on 25 February 2010 - 08:59 AM, said:

The Fathers are just that - fathers.

from Inquisitor Sever said:

Outlasting the wild dogs, the cannibal raiders among the last of the surviving adults, and the wretched parasites swarming the ground and the skies above - no, not one Inquisitor could have anticipated this terrible will to survive.

There are references to Fathers as priests in flowing robes as well...although who they worship and why they allied themselves with the FA is anyone's guess.

Thus:

Fathers - humans
Quitters - FA
Inquisitors - FA
Starvers - possibly human

From the Prologue: "the Fathers, all wrapped in black, who plunged into the ragged camps on the roads and stole children away, and once he and a few others had come upon one of their old night-holds and had seen for themselves the small split bones mottled blue and grey in the coals of the hearth, and so understood what the Fathers did to the children they took."

Just for completeness...

Starvers - uncertain, associated with the "bone skinned" Inquisitors by badalle in the prologue, probably like the Tenescowri.
Ribbers - wild dogs
Stra Riders - internal worms
Shards - swarming carnivorous locust thingies.

- Abyss, reader.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#342 User is offline   Captain Beardface 

• Mason of Serc
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Rugby, Darts, Quality Beer, Heavy Metal... Hard Rock in general

Posted 26 February 2010 - 06:28 PM

Lister of Smeg, on 26 February 2010 - 05:54 PM, said:

MuttonChops, on 26 February 2010 - 05:46 PM, said:

This may be going back a bit in this topic but there was a lot of discussion about T'amber being connected to the Eres'al; my question is where in Hood's name was this mentioned, what book? I just finished a reread and I missed it somehow.... some help please

It was at the end of the Bonehunters, in Malaz City. T'amber takes loads of damage but keeps on going and then, when she dies, Grub and Lostara see the Eres standing over the body. She had possessed T'amber, though we don't know exactly how long for.

How the Hell did I miss that... Thanks
Monsignor:...Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.
Connor: [as the brothers exit the church] I do believe the monsignor's finally got the point.
Murphy: Aye.

Boondock Saints

#343 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 26 February 2010 - 06:31 PM

MuttonChops, on 26 February 2010 - 06:28 PM, said:

It was at the end of the Bonehunters, in Malaz City. T'amber takes loads of damage but keeps on going and then, when she dies, Grub and Lostara see the Eres standing over the body. She had possessed T'amber, though we don't know exactly how long for.

You were probably still reeling at what happened to Kalam.

Or drunk maybe? :o

- Abyss, makes excuses for everything.

#344 User is offline   Captain Beardface 

• Mason of Serc

Posted 26 February 2010 - 06:57 PM

Abyss, on 26 February 2010 - 06:31 PM, said:

MuttonChops, on 26 February 2010 - 06:28 PM, said:

You were probably still reeling at what happened to Kalam.

Or drunk maybe? :o

- Abyss, makes excuses for everything.

On the first read I could see the reeling at what happened to Kalam; still secretly holding out hope for him to come out of an Azath and kick some serious ass. But on the second reading I don't know how I missed it, I must have been drunk like the Abyss says...

I honestly have no idea how SE is going to wrap all this up to a satisfactory conclusion, there is so many large characters that where no in DoD and as far as I know not even on the Lether continent. I mean Karsa, Paran, K'rul, Kruppe, ST & C, the Tiste Andii are currently out of the picture.

Must wait patiently as possible for the publication of CG
Monsignor:...Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.
Connor: [as the brothers exit the church] I do believe the monsignor's finally got the point.

Boondock Saints

#345 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 26 February 2010 - 07:14 PM

MuttonChops, on 26 February 2010 - 06:57 PM, said:

I honestly have no idea how SE is going to wrap all this up to a satisfactory conclusion, there is so many large characters that where no in DoD and as far as I know not even on the Lether continent. I mean Karsa, Paran, K'rul, Kruppe, ST & C, the Tiste Andii are currently out of the picture.

I'm fairly certain he won't wrap up EVERYTHING, and some things may be left for ICE or the future Andii and Toblakai trilogies.

- Abyss, trusts in SE. SE is good. SE is great.

#346 User is offline   Captain Beardface 

• Mason of Serc

Posted 26 February 2010 - 07:30 PM

Abyss, on 26 February 2010 - 07:14 PM, said:

...I'm fairly certain he won't wrap up EVERYTHING, and some things may be left for ICE or the future Andii and Toblakai trilogies.

I figure that and I also trust in SE and ICE for that matter...

Boondock Saints

#347 User is offline   Fox 

• Sergeant

Posted 26 February 2010 - 07:30 PM

I'm fairly certain he won't wrap up EVERYTHING, and some things may be left for ICE or the future Andii and Toblakai trilogies.

We also have pretty much no idea where Paran has been since tBH. For all we know, he could have been making his way to Kolanse. Or not, who knows.

#348 User is offline   Lister of Smeg 

• King of High House Smeg

Posted 26 February 2010 - 10:30 PM

Fox, on 26 February 2010 - 07:30 PM, said:

We also have pretty much no idea where Paran has been since tBH. For all we know, he could have been making his way to Kolanse. Or not, who knows.

I'm fairly sure he's in Kolanse, judging from his small appearance in TtH. He sounds like he's in a messy place, with loads of fighting, and he tells Picker to "tell her not to come here" or words to that effect. The "her" is IMO Tavore. He's seen the mess Kolanse is and doesn't want his sis getting stuck in the middle of it.
Avoid being seen as racist by saying, "I'm not a racist, but ..." prior to making a racist comment.

#349 User is offline   Onearms"s Host 

• Recruit

Posted 26 February 2010 - 11:43 PM

[quote name='Lister of Smeg' date='26 February 2010 - 03:30 PM' timestamp='1267223443' post='734797']
[quote name='Fox' date='26 February 2010 - 07:30 PM' timestamp='1267212632' post='734743']
[quote name='Abyss' date='26 February 2010 - 02:14 PM' timestamp='1267211641' post='734734']
[quote name='MuttonChops' date='26 February 2010 - 01:57 PM' timestamp='1267210657' post='734727']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think so too, I also think that the Andii will make a rather dramatic and timely appearance in TCG. At least that is what I hope will happen. I cannot fraking wait for CG, at least 1/2 of that book is going to be epic battles. Maybe the Segulah 2nd will bring a Segulah army through what was Hood's warren and link up with the Bonehunters/Perish/Evertine Legion and KCCM to whup some everloving FA/TL/? butt.

No matter what happens though just remember that SE hasn't let us (well me anyways)down through 9 books and I don't think he will in TCG. Whatever happens is going to be epic I'll end with 2 things:

1) In SE we trust, and

2) All Hail The Marines!

#350 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 27 February 2010 - 08:26 AM

I've heard the Karkhanas trilogy being referred to as a prequel here, but haven't read anything directly from SE on the matter. I wonder if it might have concurrent storylines in the current (post-TCG) timeline as well as prequel aspects.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#351 User is offline   geNESis 

• Jumbo Rice Krispies Square

Posted 27 February 2010 - 10:32 PM

I agree worrywort, I actually proposed the same thing yeaterday in the Karkanas Trilogy forum. I'm hoping it'll be both, It'd suck if this was the last we see of the Shake.

#352 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 09 September 2010 - 03:21 PM

Abyss, on 08 September 2009 - 01:38 PM, said:

Even if one hadn't read Pat's review, it was abundantly clear that the book was building to 'something' and that the big ugly something was not going to happen all the way over in Kolanse. Even so, a Nahruk army marching out of the Imperial warren and the Bonehunters just having the crap luck to be caught in the way was painful and logical all at once. It SEEMED random, but i don't believe it for a second. Too many Powers have been in play for that to be a coincidence. Plus it bloodied the Nah'ruk and gave Stormy and Gesler's K'chain Che'malle army (inner fan boy moment of giddyness at typing that) enough time to be ready for the battle.

Who do you think would have the power to set this into motion though? I think it was coincidental as things do happen this way in the real world, just being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I am fine with that, it makes it more real :veryangry:

BEST 'DID THAT JUST HAPPEN' MOMENT: Split between Torrent backhanding Olar Ethil (seriously... the guy just pimp smacked an Elder God) and Mother Dark responding to Withal outside the Andii city (he's bitching and the creator of the frikkin universe responds - yeah no kidding he doesn't want to move). I loved these both too

BEST SE GIVETH AND SE TAKETH AWAY MOMENT: Telorast and Curdle are WHAT??? They can DO that??? Remind me please, what are they? what can they do?

I'M CALLING IT NOW: releasing the Otataral Dragon is related to Tiam's return. You read it here first. I was right about Redmask, so doubt me at your peril. How do you think this will occur? Just want your crazy theory on this, I am not disagreeing, no way, In fact I do agree, but how do you see it happening?

I really liked this book, I think tCG will be so amazing, thanks to this book, I think people will like this book even more after tCG gets released, they maybe cannot appreciate it as much uuntil they see the whole picture and that is why we love re reads so much, there are so many possibilities this storyline can go I cannot wait for January!!
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#353 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 10 September 2010 - 10:05 AM

MTS, on 16 September 2009 - 11:12 AM, said:

You're reading it wrong blackzoid. There's no mention of Errastas going after Paran. If you look at the language, Setch says that Paran will be in no position to intercept him, not defend against.

However, I concede the point that it probably isn't about Calm. I think it's about some Eleint. Kilmandaros says that 'there ever was the danger - so close to the Eleint - that I lose control', and she stays behind and has a chit chat with Mael.

He's not talking about the Holds though. Like I said, the language used doesn't make sense.

just an absolutely crazy thought came to my mind reading this post, what if calm was a FA soletaken eleint?

#354 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 28 September 2010 - 03:25 PM

Tattersail, on 09 September 2010 - 03:21 PM, said:

Abyss, on 08 September 2009 - 01:38 PM, said:

Even if one hadn't read Pat's review, it was abundantly clear that the book was building to 'something' and that the big ugly something was not going to happen all the way over in Kolanse. Even so, a Nahruk army marching out of the Imperial warren and the Bonehunters just having the crap luck to be caught in the way was painful and logical all at once. It SEEMED random, but i don't believe it for a second. Too many Powers have been in play for that to be a coincidence. Plus it bloodied the Nah'ruk and gave Stormy and Gesler's K'chain Che'malle army (inner fan boy moment of giddyness at typing that) enough time to be ready for the battle.

Who do you think would have the power to set this into motion though? I think it was coincidental as things do happen this way in the real world, just being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I am fine with that, it makes it more real :)

See upthread and elsethread discussion. Any party that had a reason to see the Bonehunters shredded before they got to Kolanse.

BEST SE GIVETH AND SE TAKETH AWAY MOMENT: Telorast and Curdle are WHAT??? They can DO that??? Remind me please, what are they? what can they do?

The the 'Olar Ethil is Who?' thread, but briefly, they were two pureblood elient souls attached by Draconus to a single dead Tiste Andii body.

Tattersail, on 10 September 2010 - 10:05 AM, said:

...just an absolutely crazy thought came to my mind reading this post, what if calm was a FA soletaken eleint?

At this point FA and K'chain are the only races that we haven't had confirmed draconics from. So it's possible, but that said I doubt it. tho Calm was curiously more coherent than any FA we've seen since.

#355 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 28 September 2010 - 04:09 PM

Mmm...what if Telorast (Curdle) is Otataral dragon and its "counterpart" ( SagChurok explaining to Kalyth over dead dragon skull). OK, really not probable...possible, but its funny idea...:)
Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimisticīs worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. Itīs bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#356 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 28 September 2010 - 05:54 PM

The the 'Olar Ethil is Who?' thread, but briefly, they were two pureblood elient souls attached by Draconus to a single dead Tiste Andii body.

Dessembelackis.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#357 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 05 October 2010 - 02:04 PM

H.D., on 28 September 2010 - 05:54 PM, said:

Dessembelackis.

yah, that!

#358 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 05 October 2010 - 02:35 PM

I do not think there is anyone powerful enough to make the Nah'ruk march with all the sky keeps to get rid of the bonehunters. the bonehunters where in the wrong place at the wrong time. Imagine one of the elder Gods, for example, trying to manipulate them into opening their warren in the bonehunters path or on the wastelands, I don't think they would have the power. The Nah'ruk were looking for the KCCM to destroy an old foe imo. Nothing wrong with the BH's being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

#359 User is offline   poorly sighted gallan 

• Recruit

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:54 PM

HoosierDaddy, on 29 October 2009 - 09:43 PM, said:

1. It's the "Just Wars" that were fought between the FA and Liosan. Reaper's Gale, 394.

2. As for the Liosan, FA, and Ribby Snake:

The latter sections make clear that Brayderal was "hiding" as a human child, but that her increasing stress was making it difficult to keep her hidden.

"She alone possessed the legacy of the Inquisitors, shining bright beneath her almost translucent skin.... I am a child of the Quitters. I am here to complete their work."

Further on:

"Be careful, daughter, with these humans. To live, they will do anything."

Further yet:

"And the Quitters came among us, down from the north. They walked like the broken...."

"The sun made the world white, bitter with purity. This was the perfection so cherished by the Quitters."

We also have 3 distinctive titles amongst the remaining 4 "Quitters".

Inquisitor Sever, Brother Adroit, Sister Rail, and Sistern Scorn who is the remaining Adjudicator. All 4 emerged:

"from the heat shimmer...fast closing. Like win-rocked puppets, every limb snapped back until broken, wheeling loose, and death surrounded them in whirlwinds.... [She] saw mouths open - YIELD!"

So, to some up, all four Quitters have the multiple joints of Assail. They walked like the broken, I guess if they walked with lose joints some might see their gait as broken.

At least two have the word magic as "mouths" opened.

Brayderal, is a child of the Quitters, and has translucent skin. Badalle equates "a world made white" with the Quitters. We have never seen FA use voice magic before in the other ancient and very powerful few we've met (however, I'll note that could be an evolutionary thing that developed).

It seems to me that there is a combination of Forkrulian and Liosan traits here, which would denote a mixing of the two.

3. As for Mr. Beard, there is a character with a beard mentioned three times in the book that I noted:

'Thank you, Captain,' Ruthan replied, combing fingers through his beard....'

'The mystery is, there's at least three in there I can't even identify. A woman, a girl and some bearded bastard who feels close enough to spit on.'

"Among all in her clan, Kebralle Korish alone had succeeded in drawing close enough to the Three to swing her blade. She remembered, with vivid clarity, the shock upon the face of the Bearded One, when her curved weapon's edge had bit deep, scoring the flesh deep and wide across his chest....

Kebralle Korish stood on the wall of the Fastness. She delivered a wound upon one of the Three, the only T'lan Imass to have done so. Had he stood alone, she would have killed him. The Bearded One would have fallen, the first breach in the defences of the Three.... [who] had seen the stain of his blood? Running black as night."

In addition, I noted ZERO other characters in the Wastelands with a beard, including Draconus, Ublala, Torrent, Silchas, (don't remember of Ryadd Elalle does).

My guess is the guy with the beard is Ruthan Guud, who is just (obviously) very good at concealing his nature and staying out of the way of those who might take notice. However, the addition of the Bearded One in a random aside just seems too damned convenient to me in this situation, and could be more history on the mystery man himself.

The black blood is an interesting bit. Guess where we've seen it before?

"He swung at a shoulder and the tulwar slid through the stones with a grating screech. The arm hung half-dismembered, accompanied by a gout of black blood as thick as tar."

RotCG, Traveller, Kyle, & Ereko v. the Cabal in Jacuruku.

I know you posted this ages ago but Ive only just read it now. Aren't the Three that Kebralle Korish mentions the mage(s) ahl, thal and lar from li heng which we see in rotcg? Just a guess but that was my first thought.

#360 User is offline   Spoilsport Stonny 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:09 PM

Its been widely accepted that "The Three" are the storied sorcerer kings of Shal-Morzinn, a call-back to the Bonehunters, where its mentioned as a land that no one really wants to travel through, so the Perish utilized a passage through the realm of the Wolf Gods to avoid it.

Not a definite, tho, AFAIK. But it's just an example of how SE populates the world of his works.

This post has been edited by Spoilsport Stonny: 25 July 2014 - 04:11 PM

Theorizing that one could poop within his own lifetime, Doctor Poopet led an elite group of scientists into the desert to develop a top secret project, known as QUANTUM POOP. Pressured to prove his theories or lose funding, Doctor Poopet, prematurely stepped into the Poop Accelerator and vanished. He awoke to find himself in the past, suffering from partial amnesia and facing a mirror image that was not his own. Fortunately, contact with his own bowels was made through brainwave transmissions, with Al the Poop Observer, who appeared in the form of a hologram that only Doctor Poopet could see and hear. Trapped in the past, Doctor Poopet finds himself pooping from life to life, pooping things right, that once went wrong and hoping each time, that his next poop will be the poop home.

Share this topic:

• 18 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users