Abyss just finished and... and... and... Rate Topic: -----

#141 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 24 September 2009 - 03:12 PM

View PostEpiph, on 24 September 2009 - 02:59 PM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 24 September 2009 - 02:22 PM, said:

Relatedly, anyone think we are to assume that the KN used the power from killing Sorric (seen in TB) to open the gate from the IW?

Are we sure she was killed by KN? There seems to be some contention that she was killed by Edur.

Ahem.. "Sorrit".

The Edur haven't been going around killing dragons like the Nah'ruk. Plus the Nah'ruk also seem to have access to blackwood. There isn't a definite answer yet, but I'd say it's pretty strongly against the Edur being responsible for Sorrit's death.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#142 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 24 September 2009 - 04:45 PM

My opinion is that 3 dragons have been imprisioned/used for blood.

1: The dragon (Sorrit) found in the Skykeep in TBH by Mappo and Icarium. It was not killed by KNCR/KCCM according to Icarium. It is not on a cruciform design.
2: The dragon in the prologue, who was killed and drained of its blood. Its used to open the portal from the IW.
3: The Otatoral Dragon. I initially though that that was the dragon the KCNR wass sneering at in the prologue, but now I don't think so. Pearl and Lostara don't see rivers of blood flowing down from it when they spot it in the IW back in HoC. And it isn't on the same type of cross/lattice structure.

This post has been edited by blackzoid: 24 September 2009 - 04:46 PM

#143 User is offline   Skywalker 

• Mortal LightSaber
  • Pedant.

Posted 25 September 2009 - 09:14 AM

WEll, it was Heboric in a dream/ vision world... we can't take the rivers of blood literally. But otherwise I tend to agree with you. Are there any quotes proving the KCNR used dragon blood to open a gate btw?
Forum Member from the Old Days. Alive, but mostly inactive/ occasionally lurking

#144 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 25 September 2009 - 12:50 PM

Uh, I'm pretty sure that Stormy and Gesler talk about it during the ending. They or Icarium and his posse discuss it.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#145 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 25 September 2009 - 01:09 PM

Someone says something to the effect that the KN killed a dragon to open the gate for their army. It does appear that we're looking at three distinct chained dragons...

SorriT ;) seems like the logical candidate for the KN gate, ...there was otataral used there too - not sure how that would shift things one way or the other..., and Iccy in TB speculated that some ritual had been used to get at her blood.

The dragon is the prologue is not clearly dead - Heboric's vision mentions 'waves of pain' or similar. Obviously his vision could be a flashback, but it's far from clear.

And the otataral dragon is likely a whole separate thing from the gate and Sorrit.

The three dragons chained in Meanas are, as far as we know, still there, but since we've seen Kalse Uprooted and Ampelas Uprooted, i can't help but wonder if there is a link SE will play in TCG. we don't know how many other Uprooted are sitting around empty in the Wastelands.

- Abyss, could say they were being wasted...
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#146 User is offline   ritchiediaz 

• Lieutenant

Posted 25 September 2009 - 01:20 PM

View PostAbyss, on 25 September 2009 - 01:09 PM, said:

we don't know how many other Uprooted are sitting around empty in the Wastelands.

- Abyss, could say they were being wasted...

That's a very good point - Kalse Uprooted was essentially a dead - it's why Ampelas Uprooted was deemed to be the last KCCM stronghold, which the KCNR were coming to obliterate.

Even after a re-read it's not exactly clear to me how much Icarium played in the re-habilitation of Kalse and Sulkit. How many other KCCM strongholds are ther, rooted OR uprooted that have a nanobot / drone a la Sulkit that could conceivably rebuild?

#147 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 03 October 2009 - 05:56 AM

ok, just finished this. oh, and the the thread, I guess

So, I will give myself a pat on the back for that time I said that this is when we will finally see some FAs I think it was when the prologue came out).
Being obcessed as I am with the Elder races, I loved this book.

The one thing that confused the hell out of me (more than ever before) was the whole "Iccy makes a whole bunch of new warrens" bit--seeing as at one point I struggled with the metaphysics of the warrens, well, this kinda killed it for me. but I digress.

The KCCM story was awesome--we got their POV, and it was worth waiting this long to finally understand wtf they're all about. also, great move by SE, making them the victims, when half of us were sittign here saying "the Bonehunters are going east to fight the new evil empire of the KCCM".

The White Face/Hetan/Tool storyline picks up kind of where the Awl left off--it's sad tale of how cultures wipe themselves out and whatnot. well, on top of showing us more of Olar Ethil, who's not an Imass,but plays one when the ritual rolls around.

one question we can all FINALLY put to rest (after Dassem=traveller and Hood is a Jaghut) is that Degaroth is Dissembelackis. I think that's the first time it wwas stated explicitly and with finality.

umm, what else?

Obviously, as expected, Toc is back. although the scene with him&Tool was tragic, I have hope that we will see him and Tool beating the crap out of OE in the future.

the greatest "about damn time" moment was when the Errant gets told by just about every Elder power.
Draconus' entrance scene--pure badassitude.

things left to resolve at this point:
Iccy's ghost must go to the crystal city, where Badalle may "heal his heart". possibly.
Setoc must join Perish as the new Destriant.
the whole "elementsin opposition speech" Kalyth got... the reason why Tiam died and didn't come back was b/c her opposite--the OD was chained.

also, one discrepancy I don't get, but this related back to TTH: when Mommy D turned away, so did FL.
so, then who's in charge of Light when we get the power grab when Rake dies?
crazy theory--the Liosan are responsible for the mess in Assail, somehow.

GAH, i'm starting to ramble (tempted to open several threads), this book was freaking awesome, and i've not even mentioned the Bonehunters, Khundryl, the big K'Chain free for all with walking dragon-shaped cities with lightining beams and skykeeps...

*head explodes from the awesome*
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#148 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 03 October 2009 - 06:21 AM

Took your time, Ment. Now...just let it all simmer and sink in. :)

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#149 User is offline   alt146 

• Here comes the Strongbad!

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:30 AM

Hmm, I'm definitely going to have to reread both this and RG, after reading this thread I have a feeling I missed a couple of things.

I enjoyed the snake arc - it was grim and brutal, the kind of writing SE does very well. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesnt Badalle have a bit of influence on things happening elsewhere. Maybe I'm just confused by the fact that she also spent lots of time flying around in her dreams, but I thought that it was her that guided Gurull to Stormy and Gesler. It would make more sense if it was Kalyth though. It will be interesting to see how this story plays out. I had a feeling there would be 'oh wait' moment (like the first book of HoC when you realise children are humans) and the Inquisitors being FA could be it, but I have a feeling there's something more going on there that we dont know about yet.

Does anyone think Setoc joining the Perish is a little too obvious? It's a perfect fit, but somehow I don't think that's the way things are going to work out.

The Barghast storyline was really sad. Maybe because the first thing that pops into my mind when I think 'Hetan' is the nice lady that runs the board. Anyway, I dont think Tool sacrificed himself to simply save 100 of his rivals. Or at least not just that - by sacrificing himself he finally showed his tribe what he couldnt get across simply by leading them. I mean, we've seen how badass he is in MOI - he could probably have killed the leader of the other tribe and taken control of it by force, but it wouldnt have changed anything. It worked, as we saw when his tribe left the battle (Incidently saving them from Draconus's entrance, but I can't see that as being planned). It would have been mission successful if he hadn't been turned away by Toc and called back by OE. I would like to believe he will find his kids and kick OE's ass with Toc, but I have a feeling there's one of those 'Tavore kills Felisin without realising who she is' moments coming.

If Masaan had found Tool instead of the Unbound, would it actually have helped the BH? I got the impression Tool was aware there were human forces battling nearby and decided not to help them.
[url="http://www.alt146.zzl.org"]MafiaManager[/url]: My Mafia Modding tool - Now at v0.3b

With great power comes a great integral of energy over time.

#150 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:53 AM

He was definitely aware, and definitely refused to go help them. Paraphrasing, but: "He heard the call. It was one he knew. The call of the Malazan Empire. He refused." Or similar. :)

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#151 User is offline   alt146 

• Here comes the Strongbad!

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:59 AM

View PostSilencer, on 03 October 2009 - 09:53 AM, said:

He was definitely aware, and definitely refused to go help them. Paraphrasing, but: "He heard the call. It was one he knew. The call of the Malazan Empire. He refused." Or similar. :)

I knew I read something along those lines - my girlfriend has my book at the moment so I can't check things and I read most of the ending in a car with my four-year old sister trying to get me to entertain her, so I'm not 100% sure I 'got' what happened.
[url="http://www.alt146.zzl.org"]MafiaManager[/url]: My Mafia Modding tool - Now at v0.3b

With great power comes a great integral of energy over time.

#152 User is offline   Bliss 

• Herald

Posted 05 October 2009 - 03:50 AM

how much of the whole barghast self-destructing storyline could have been because their brand news gods we forced to compete with the largest concentration of the crippled god. it may be possible that their gods were "screaming" at them to get as far away from the crippled god and his influence as possible. a lot of what happened to the barghast was in line with how the crippled god usually influences people or races to act.
I saw the sun's bolt
arc an unerring path
to the man's forehead.
As it struck, the crows
converged like night
drawing breath.

DOG CHAIN
SEGLORA

#153 User is offline   Ulrik 

• Highest Marshall of Mott Irregulars
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 05 October 2009 - 09:12 AM

View PostBliss, on 05 October 2009 - 03:50 AM, said:

a lot of what happened to the barghast was in line with how the crippled god usually influences people or races to act.

I dunno. Barghast were divided far before arrival...their bloody and cruel customs were also deeply rooted in that society. That society just went into familiar style... and was almost genocided by random ascendent arrival... Many of them were bastards without CG.
Adept Ulrik - Highest Marshall of Quick Ben's Irregulars
Being optimistic´s worthless if it means ignoring the suffering of this world. Worse than worthless. It´s bloody evil.
- Fiddler

#154 User is offline   blackzoid 

• Mortal Sword

Posted 05 October 2009 - 01:06 PM

Ya, the world is probably better off without them. The Moranth were the ones who looked forward, and not back at the past.

#155 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 05 October 2009 - 02:19 PM

View Postalt146, on 03 October 2009 - 09:30 AM, said:

Hmm, I'm definitely going to have to reread both this and RG, after reading this thread I have a feeling I missed a couple of things.

I enjoyed the snake arc - it was grim and brutal, the kind of writing SE does very well. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesnt Badalle have a bit of influence on things happening elsewhere. Maybe I'm just confused by the fact that she also spent lots of time flying around in her dreams,

her poems are quoted a couple of times, usually related to Icarium. It's not perfectly clear whether that was SE taking dramatic license as when he ends a chapter with 'Draconus.', or showing actual words that the characters are hearing. I suspect that at least at the end with Iccy, Badalle's 'prayers' in Icarias were affecting Iccy somehow.

but I thought that it was her that guided Gurull to Stormy and Gesler. It would make more sense if it was Kalyth though.

quote fu? I thought it was just dumb luck that the che'malle spotted Gesler and stormy via their Kurald Thyrllan aspects.

Does anyone think Setoc joining the Perish is a little too obvious? It's a perfect fit, but somehow I don't think that's the way things are going to work out.

It does seem almost obvious but it would line up nicely with the sheild Anvil seemingly winding up for betrayal of the Mortal Sword.

The Barghast storyline was really sad. ...I dont think Tool sacrificed himself to simply save 100 of his rivals. ...probably have killed the leader of the other tribe and taken control of it by force, but it wouldnt have changed anything.

Tool's problem was that he was sick of killing, likely an after effect of having 'died', spent hundreds of thousands of years killing, and having returned to life, finding that he's expected to kill more. Faced with no other alternative, he took his own life.

It worked, as we saw when his tribe left the battle (Incidently saving them from Draconus's entrance, but I can't see that as being planned). It would have been mission successful ...

Not exactly. The first replacement leader who 'got' Tool's lesson was taken out by rivals and the second one led his people away from fitghing the Akyrrni but then decided, literally for lack of a better option, to attack the Malazans.

how much of the whole barghast self-destructing storyline could have been because their brand news gods we forced to compete with the largest concentration of the crippled god. it may be possible that their gods were "screaming" at them to get as far away from the crippled god and his influence as possible. a lot of what happened to the barghast was in line with how the crippled god usually influences people or races to act.

Totally possible but also likely that notwithstanding their gods' return, the Bhargast had changed too much for their gods to influence. Likely given time the gods would have become as savage as the Whiteface, rather than the other way around.

View PostUlrik, on 05 October 2009 - 09:12 AM, said:

a lot of what happened to the barghast was in line with how the crippled god usually influences people or races to act.

I dunno. Barghast were divided far before arrival...their bloody and cruel customs were also deeply rooted in that society. That society just went into familiar style... and was almost genocided by random ascendent arrival... Many of them were bastards without CG.

Totally true. And correct me if i'm wrong, but the Whiteface were only one 'nation' of the Barghast, not the totallity of the race. Aside from the Gilk still intact in the Wastlands, there would be other Barghast tribes still on Genabackis. I think.

- Abyss, pinkface.

#156 User is offline   Daser 

• First Sword

Posted 05 October 2009 - 03:01 PM

Tool`s death didnt feel quite in character to me.

Abyss you say he is sick of killing. Wouldnt it be more in line just to leave?

Knock Hetan out , put her over the shoulder and pack the kids up, then just get the fuck out of there.

#157 User is offline   beru 

• shy guy
  • Interests:gaming (strategy/tactic first persons)<br />reading<br />swiming

Posted 05 October 2009 - 05:52 PM

he is a wee bit to lyal to do that i think
i want to see this world where T'lan imass kneels

#158 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 07 October 2009 - 08:58 PM

I don't htink it was dumb luck, I think the Destriant had that whole "spectral sight thing" going on after doing the whole 'riding the spotted horse" ritual when she saw Heboric. That's how she spotted gesler + Stormy.
The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#159 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 07 October 2009 - 09:25 PM

View PostDaser, on 05 October 2009 - 03:01 PM, said:

Tool`s death didnt feel quite in character to me.

Abyss you say he is sick of killing. Wouldnt it be more in line just to leave?

Knock Hetan out , put her over the shoulder and pack the kids up, then just get the fuck out of there.

THAT would have been out of character. Plus don't forget he and Hetan had just had a nasty 'you just don't understand me' fight, so packing up the kids and moving wasn't really on the table.

View PostMentalist, on 07 October 2009 - 08:58 PM, said:

I don't htink it was dumb luck, I think the Destriant had that whole "spectral sight thing" going on after doing the whole 'riding the spotted horse" ritual when she saw Heboric. That's how she spotted gesler + Stormy.

But we don't see that, do we. There isn't any point where Kalyth says 'hey, i just spotted two good candidates!". If anything we only find out that Gurull spotted them because their K Thyrllan aspect stood out to him. The K'Chain team was travelling in the direction of the Malazans because that was the only way out of the Wasteland that made sense, and naturally the Malazans were travelling in the opposite direction, same path, because it's the only way to go. Kalyth's visions, aside from her interactions with Heboric and Whiskeyjack, are more of the vision quest for self type.

- Abyss, has has drinking binges like that.

#160 User is offline   Wampyry 

• High Fist

Posted 09 October 2009 - 12:25 AM

Great post, Abyss. Informative, humorous and complete. Little green button was pushed a few days ago. Keep up the good work and I won't have to re-read :p

This post has been edited by Wampyry: 09 October 2009 - 12:26 AM

Share this topic:

• 18 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

62 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 62 guests, 0 anonymous users