Malazan Empire: Who the hell is Ruthan Gudd? - Malazan Empire

• 12 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Who the hell is Ruthan Gudd? For those who have finished DoD only Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is offline   ISTN4249 

• Sergeant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 01 September 2009 - 10:56 PM

View PostSinisdar Toste, on Aug 31 2009, 06:42 AM, said:

the most intriguing thing is how he says "she answers - as she has never answered before. gods below, spawn of the azath -" just before the shit goes through the fan and is obliterated into tiny fragments

i mentioned Olar Ethil above. here is my reasoning now that i have found it. the timeline of events is a bit up in the air in DOD between differing POVS.

but there is this on pg 527

Kilmandaros was visibly shaking with her fury. "It was her," she hissed. "Last night. That singing - she awakened the ancient power! Olar Ethil!"
Sechul Lath could see sudden worry on the Errant's face. Things were spriralling out of his control.

#42 User is offline   Urizen 

• First Sword

Posted 02 September 2009 - 07:15 AM

View PostISTN4249, on Sep 1 2009, 11:56 PM, said:

the most intriguing thing is how he says "she answers - as she has never answered before. gods below, spawn of the azath -" just before the shit goes through the fan and is obliterated into tiny fragments

i mentioned Olar Ethil above. here is my reasoning now that i have found it. the timeline of events is a bit up in the air in DOD between differing POVS.

Kilmandaros was visibly shaking with her fury. "It was her," she hissed. "Last night. That singing - she awakened the ancient power! Olar Ethil!"
Sechul Lath could see sudden worry on the Errant's face. Things were spriralling out of his control.

Didn't that passage refer to Olar Ethil resurecting Tool? When Tool's shattered bones reasemble a woman is heard singing in the background(presumably Olar)
" Ah, I despair, or I would if I cared enough. No, instead, I will make some ashcakes. Which I will not share."

#43 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 02 September 2009 - 02:29 PM

View PostUrizen, on Sep 2 2009, 04:12 AM, said:

View PostMappo's Travelling Sack, on Sep 1 2009, 01:49 PM, said:

Ardata has an empire on Jacurucku, I believe.
Spoiler
If it is her it raises some questions over where her allegiance lies, and what her ultimate goals are. She has ties to Skinner, who is now the King in Chains, she has marked Mappo, and now she might be mixed up with Ruthan Gudd. She could be hedging her bets, recruiting people from different sides to ensure she gets something out of what's coming.

Oh. and we've never seen Assail, I'm fairly sure. It is still a complete and utter mystery.

I'm not convinced that Ardata is in cahoots with
Spoiler

Dunno how you reconcile the armour he wears then, if she ain't around - the armour that she is said to have personally given Skinner. But anyway, this thread isn't really about Ardata.

I'm not convinced he's an EG, but it is clear he is at least a fairly powerful Ascendant. I wonder if he actually is dead though...that whole bit is completely pointless if nothing eventuates from it.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#44 User is offline   ISTN4249 

• Sergeant

Posted 02 September 2009 - 04:43 PM

View PostUrizen, on Sep 2 2009, 03:15 AM, said:

View PostISTN4249, on Sep 1 2009, 11:56 PM, said:

Didn't that passage refer to Olar Ethil resurecting Tool? When Tool's shattered bones reasemble a woman is heard singing in the background(presumably Olar)

oooh. didnt remember that. damn book needs to be reread like 3 times for things to sink together

#45 User is offline   Urizen 

• First Sword

Posted 02 September 2009 - 05:46 PM

View PostMappo's Travelling Sack, on Sep 2 2009, 03:29 PM, said:

View PostUrizen, on Sep 2 2009, 04:12 AM, said:

View PostMappo's Travelling Sack, on Sep 1 2009, 01:49 PM, said:

Ardata has an empire on Jacurucku, I believe.
Spoiler
If it is her it raises some questions over where her allegiance lies, and what her ultimate goals are. She has ties to Skinner, who is now the King in Chains, she has marked Mappo, and now she might be mixed up with Ruthan Gudd. She could be hedging her bets, recruiting people from different sides to ensure she gets something out of what's coming.

Oh. and we've never seen Assail, I'm fairly sure. It is still a complete and utter mystery.

I'm not convinced that Ardata is in cahoots with
Spoiler

Dunno how you reconcile the armour he wears then, if she ain't around - the armour that she is said to have personally given Skinner. But anyway, this thread isn't really about Ardata.

I'm not convinced he's an EG, but it is clear he is at least a fairly powerful Ascendant. I wonder if he actually is dead though...that whole bit is completely pointless if nothing eventuates from it.

Maybe Skinner looted a tomb, found it in an attic or perhaps he stole it from Jacurucku's world famous Ardata museum..Skinner is completely unrealiable with anything he says.

Not that it really helps but In TBH, Gudd says he's from the island of Strike.
Perhaps I've posted this before but given that Gudd appearently could take a raincheck on duel to the death with Draconus with no hard feelings on either side (and Draconus pre-Dragnipur was a Bastard). This makes me believe Gudd is one of three things. The only beings I expect Draconus would give some leeway and respect. 1) a fellow Elder God 2) a loyal(to Draconus) Tiste Andi from their time in Kharkanas(Sp?) or 3) a son of Draconus.

Gudd seem to think that he be a goner when charged the Na'ruhk and they have shown themselves to be capable killers who don't leave things half-done. I hope he survived though.
The point might come when Gudd's EG/Ascendant buddies gets sad and miffed about his death and goes on a rampage against the Na'ruhk.
" Ah, I despair, or I would if I cared enough. No, instead, I will make some ashcakes. Which I will not share."

#46 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 02 September 2009 - 06:00 PM

I may have missed it, but does anyone have a quote from Gudd talking about taking a duel with Draconus?

Because I just remember it as Gudd wanting to kill Draconus if he could. That doesn't mean he is in Draconus league or that he is an Elder God. It just means the two crossed paths and Draconus was mean to him.

I think Gudd is just a First Empire Era human ascendant. I'm not even sure he's an ascendant at that.

#47 User is offline   Urizen 

• First Sword

Posted 02 September 2009 - 06:53 PM

View PostAptorian, on Sep 2 2009, 07:00 PM, said:

I may have missed it, but does anyone have a quote from Gudd talking about taking a duel with Draconus?

Because I just remember it as Gudd wanting to kill Draconus if he could. That doesn't mean he is in Draconus league or that he is an Elder God. It just means the two crossed paths and Draconus was mean to him.

I think Gudd is just a First Empire Era human ascendant. I'm not even sure he's an ascendant at that.

Here it is..

'It's better this way, Draconus'
'This is Kallor's empire, friend. Will you not reconsider?
Reconsider. Yes theres that. 'The shore seems welcoming enough. If I mind my own business...'
He'd smiled at that.
And I simled back.
Draconus returned to that continent- I felt his footfalls, there inside my seemingly eternal prison. He returned to see for himself the maddness of Kallor.
You were right, Draconus. I should have minded my own business. For once.
Can you hear me now? Draconus? Are you listening?
I have reconsidered. At long last. Ad so Igive you this. Find me, and one of us will die.

I read this as Draconus wanting a fight but Gudd passes on the "offer" because he wants to spend time on Jacarucku dong his own thing.

#48 User is offline   ISTN4249 

• Sergeant

Posted 02 September 2009 - 07:21 PM

View PostUrizen, on Sep 2 2009, 02:53 PM, said:

View PostAptorian, on Sep 2 2009, 07:00 PM, said:

Here it is..

'It's better this way, Draconus'
'This is Kallor's empire, friend. Will you not reconsider?
Reconsider. Yes theres that. 'The shore seems welcoming enough. If I mind my own business...'
He'd smiled at that.
And I simled back.
Draconus returned to that continent- I felt his footfalls, there inside my seemingly eternal prison. He returned to see for himself the maddness of Kallor.
You were right, Draconus. I should have minded my own business. For once.
Can you hear me now? Draconus? Are you listening?
I have reconsidered. At long last. Ad so Igive you this. Find me, and one of us will die.

I read this as Draconus wanting a fight but Gudd passes on the "offer" because he wants to spend time on Jacarucku dong his own thing.

I read it as Draconus wanting to get Rudd in on cursing Kallor w/ Sister of Cold Nights and Krul

#49 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 02 September 2009 - 07:42 PM

Right, that's how I remember that. None of that suggests that Gudd is a god or that he is Draconus equal. It merely means that Rudd thinks he might be able to take Draconus in a sword fight. If nothing else, just to break the monotony of his life in the army.

Saying Rudd is Draconus equal just because he might be able to stand toe to toe with him, is like saying Trull is as powerfull as Icarium or Ruin. Which he wasn't.

#50 User is offline   Urizen 

• First Sword

Posted 02 September 2009 - 08:02 PM

View PostAptorian, on Sep 2 2009, 08:42 PM, said:

Right, that's how I remember that. None of that suggests that Gudd is a god or that he is Draconus equal. It merely means that Rudd thinks he might be able to take Draconus in a sword fight. If nothing else, just to break the monotony of his life in the army.

Saying Rudd is Draconus equal just because he might be able to stand toe to toe with him, is like saying Trull is as powerfull as Icarium or Ruin. Which he wasn't.

I never felt Gudd was Draconus equal. DoD if anything, makes Draconus out to be the baddest MOF around, (excepting Rake of course)

#51 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon

Posted 03 September 2009 - 06:52 PM

I thought Rudd was GF at first, but reading this now makes me question that... I'm even wondering if he is someone we have heard of before? I mean he could just be a massively powerful old guy who died by the lightning. That isn't perhaps SE's style but it's possible...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#52 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 03 September 2009 - 10:17 PM

Gudd is oooold. just before that passage with draconus, gudd recalls climbing out of a dying azath. now i assume the azath died cuz kaminsod was coming down in pieces, but even so, Gudd is not just some first hero from dessimbelackis empire
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#53 User is offline   Skywalker 

• Mortal LightSaber
  • Pedant.

Posted 04 September 2009 - 04:39 AM

In the RotCG prologue, Osserc kills an Azath. Then is discovered by a "child of the earth" and runs off before Draconus gets there.

Honestly, when Gudd mentioned the dying Azath, I did a double take and for a moment figured Gudd was the "child of the earth". But then the Stormrider thing threw me off completely.

Still, Ruthan Gudd could well be that person (or one like him).

The other thing the RoTCG prologue tells us is that an Azath can die (and cataclysmically) without the event necessarily requiring Kaminsod coming down or anything on that level. We also know Icarium killed an Azath and god his chaos memory sickness that way...
Forum Member from the Old Days. Alive, but mostly inactive/ occasionally lurking

#54 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 04 September 2009 - 06:42 AM

I think an Elder God in his prime getting knocked the fuck down and severely wounded and all his buddies, probably nearly as powerful as the EG getting vaporised, in the process of killing an Azath, qualifies as a cataclysmic event. A hell of a lot of power was dispensed in the destruction of that Azath.

#55 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 04 September 2009 - 06:53 AM

The thing that struck me in all of this was, "This is Kallor's Empire, friend." As though the HFE was different to Draconus for some reason. Obviously, Rudd was at least near ascendent level when going into the ground, and having been brought back, seemingly hundreds of thousands of years ago, makes him almost definitely an ascendent. The question becomes, is he an ascendant or a god?

He possesses the armor of a Stormrider, but that is obviously from his time spent on the Stormwall. EG's can change their appearance at will, as we've seen, but what EG's are missing other than Toasty?

TA - MD
TL - FL
TE - Someone other than Scabandari, Edgewalker would make sense here....
TI - OL
FA - Knuckles/Kily
H - Errastas
Jaghut - Hood? Icarium? Gothos? (Hood obviously took over the Realm of Dead after that war, the last pages seemingly assure that sentiment. "What was that war against? HAHAHAHAHA).)
KCCM - Matrons 'n dragons
KCNR - ????
TTT - ????
Evolution/Life - Eres'al?
Deep Blue Sea and surrouding environs - Mael

So damned confusing.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#56 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 04 September 2009 - 07:02 AM

Oh, god damn it. He is NOT an EG in the class of the big ones.

If he was he would have had a personal warren and he would have disappeared the whole Nahruk army. He would have blown them to oily mist, teleported them to the moon, made them cross eyed or I don't know what, even if he was so dimished that he couldn't crush an entire army he would have been desperate enough to call on someone. He didn't do any of the things above. He doesn't have any major power.

I think he's something in the lines of a FE ascendant. Not a strong ascendant in any regard, just strong and immortal.

#57 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 04 September 2009 - 07:23 AM

So certain, Apt. Did you notice the, "Is" in that statement? Or do you just want to overreact to stuff to feel better? Or better yet, do you have proof other than denial? You know as much as us about Ruthan Guud, so quit pretending you know more.

He could be Grizzin Farl just as much as he could be a random fucking First Hero. Hell, maybe he's the ceator of the Stormrider mess, or perhaps, he's Dessimbelackis. Some of these are more likely than others, but SE also said there were no Hounds of Light at one point, so I think you should recognize that, just maybe, you could be wrong?
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#58 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 04 September 2009 - 07:35 AM

I want to overreact to stuff to feel better. It is what I do.

Do you think that an EG, one in the league of the other EGs we know of, would have thought charging straight into the KCNR was his first and best option?

#59 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer

Posted 04 September 2009 - 07:38 AM

View PostAptorian, on Sep 4 2009, 03:35 AM, said:

I want to overreact to stuff to feel better. It is what I do.

Do you think that an EG, one in the league of the other EGs we know of, would have thought charging straight into the KCNR was his first and best option?

I'm thinking Elder Gods, for the most part, have shown themselves to be pretty damned idiotic up to this point. However, I don't think they are stupid per se, and you have an actual point. If Grizzin Farl is incorporeal like some think he is, then he has obviously lost a large margin of his power. There are lots of other options. I think it's mad to foreclose options so quickly after having read the book once. I think a re-read is going to provide massive amounts of information, seeing as how this is the penultimate book in the series.

#60 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 04 September 2009 - 07:44 AM

I personally think he's your "average" Ascendant. Nothing really all that powerful, but still fairly potent. Apt makes some good points. Many EG just go smashy-smash when they are faced with annoying mortals - Draconus, the Errant and Killy for instance.

But don't worry guys, I'm on a re-read right now. Expect imminent illumination, as I dazzle you with my ineffable, epiphanous wisdom.

Commence holding your breath.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

Share this topic:

• 12 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users