Malazan Empire: Who the hell is Ruthan Gudd? - Malazan Empire

• 12 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Who the hell is Ruthan Gudd? For those who have finished DoD only Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:32 AM

I meant more along the lines of human Ascendant, rather than Soletaken.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#22 User is offline   Varen 

• Recruit

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:37 AM

Now that we've seen Ruthan Gudd in action using the stormrider sword, anyone else think that instead of Greymane being burns mortal sword hes just got one from the stormriders, like Gudd? I just reckon the "evidence" for him being Burns mortal sword was fairly flimsy.

#23 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:19 AM

yeh i think Brood is a better bet but hes an ascendent. I think just because of Return info hes still not really in the running. Also i dont think hes mortal. I mean Dassems not mortal yet can starve to death so i mean theres no hard and fast indication.

Mappo- First hero means one of the soletaken from the First Empire. I know it says it just means ascendents but the only First heros weve seen afre divers or soletaken. In any case at the time of the MOI prologue which that viewpoint is set before the first empire is said to be 'rising on a distant continent' or something like that. He also seems very Korelri based so possibly one of there gods

#24 User is offline   caladanbrood 

• Ugly on the Inside
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 25 August 2009 - 05:10 PM

I don't think Gudd has to be a Stormrider, definitely, and I also highly doubt he's Elder - he has far too little confidence in himself when he talks about Greymane to be Elder, all of whom that we have met are cocky so-and-sos.

Seems to me that he was most likely Greymane's second in command. They clearly know each other very well, and Greymane also had moments when everything around him went extremely cold etc - I think they went through some sort of experience together, possibly on or near the Stormwall, which gave them certain Stormrider powers... kinda similar to Gesler and Stormy in Thyrllan, though probably not quite as extreme. Or maybe he just killed a Stormrider in such a way as to be able to steal his weapon and armour.
O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti tęde; keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.

#25 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant

Posted 25 August 2009 - 06:07 PM

I think hes a bit more than second in command. My original thought is that he was Ipshank but he talks to Draconus 200 000 years ago. I dont think Greymanes that old. Tho i do like the idea of the theivery of StormRider gear

#26 User is offline   Urizen 

• First Sword

Posted 25 August 2009 - 07:12 PM

tiam, on Aug 25 2009, 07:07 PM, said:

I think hes a bit more than second in command. My original thought is that he was Ipshank but he talks to Draconus 200 000 years ago. I dont think Greymanes that old. Tho i do like the idea of the theivery of StormRider gear

I wonder who Gudd was/is (I'm not counting him out just yet) given that he and Draconus seems to respect eachother and has civilized conversations. I mean, the general opinon on Draconus, among those that know him (pre-Dragnipur), seems to be that he's bad with a capital B, the evilest MOF around. So how can Gudd take a raincheck on a duel to the death with no hard feelings on either side?

Or perhaps they were given the Stormrider gear. We know Greymane tried to make peace and the Stormriders in ROTCG seems to like/respect Greymane. So, depending on the what and the how with regards to Stormriders and their gear works maybe Greymane and his closes freinds/follower where made honorary Stormriders or something and given the armour.
" Ah, I despair, or I would if I cared enough. No, instead, I will make some ashcakes. Which I will not share."

#27 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant

Posted 25 August 2009 - 07:15 PM

that actually makes more sense as didnt greymane says in ROTCG that he tried to make peace beetween everyone and maybe thats what gave Gudd the armour

#28 User is offline   Powder 

• Fist

Posted 29 August 2009 - 08:39 PM

I thought he was the missing ascendant, he was sweating and stuff when the errant called the other ones. He spent time in an Azath (and got out without the toblakai killing him{you know he spoke of the one in letheras}) he also was cocky enough to ride into 40k nah'ruk and instead of unveiling himself puts on a disguise. he talks to and mentions killing draconus.

Its not as if there is no precident to an elder god taking a minor roll in this book series. Look at nightchill serving as a highmage for the malazans. For goodness sakes look at bugg being of all things a manservant to a destitute man in a backwater country. Why could'nt GF serve under Greymane? He is obviously hiding something, is of the requisite age, escaped an azath with 5 toblakai gods murdering everything else, I do not feel as though its that farfetched to call him an EG.

Side note and random crazy theory, QB noms on every powerful thing that dies near him adding souls to his repitoire.

#29 User is offline   Urizen 

• First Sword

Posted 29 August 2009 - 09:05 PM

Powder, on Aug 29 2009, 08:39 PM, said:

I thought he was the missing ascendant, he was sweating and stuff when the errant called the other ones. He spent time in an Azath (and got out without the toblakai killing him{you know he spoke of the one in letheras})

Gudd wasn't in the Azath in Letheras with the Toblakai. He climbed out of an Azath on Jacararu(Sp?) after Kallor wiped out all life on that continent.
" Ah, I despair, or I would if I cared enough. No, instead, I will make some ashcakes. Which I will not share."

#30 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant

Posted 30 August 2009 - 12:19 AM

Urizen, on Aug 29 2009, 10:05 PM, said:

I thought he was the missing ascendant, he was sweating and stuff when the errant called the other ones. He spent time in an Azath (and got out without the toblakai killing him{you know he spoke of the one in letheras})

Gudd wasn't in the Azath in Letheras with the Toblakai. He climbed out of an Azath on Jacararu(Sp?) after Kallor wiped out all life on that continent.

i definitely missed this bit. Although does that make sense hes an EG? I mean Mael is considered to tough by the albeit dying Letherii azath

#31 User is offline   Powder 

• Fist

Posted 30 August 2009 - 04:38 PM

tiam, on Aug 29 2009, 08:19 PM, said:

Urizen, on Aug 29 2009, 10:05 PM, said:

i definitely missed this bit. Although does that make sense hes an EG? I mean Mael is considered to tough by the albeit dying Letherii azath

thanks for the correction. I must have misread. Even still the guy seems on par with draconus to me. His mysterious allbeit heroic death just allows him to keep below the radar imo. is ruthan gudd grizen farl you ask? why no ruthan died to the CCNR!

#32 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 31 August 2009 - 10:42 AM

the most intriguing thing is how he says "she answers - as she has never answered before. gods below, spawn of the azath -" just before the shit goes through the fan and is obliterated into tiny fragments. which she could he be referring to? at first i thought nightchill, just cuz it would tie in with the EG theory, but im not sure about it. this also happens right before he puts on his fancy stormrider gear, could the she be the one giving him the armour? wouldn't have had to be cuz gudd was with the riders for a while or something, cuz that seems permanent.

and consider this, over the course of the series we've learned of a soletaken demon familiar, moby, who is apparently a jaghut creation. then just now in DoD sandalath tells us that the gaddamn nachts are demon soletaken as well. or maybe d'ivers. hell the stormriders are obviously a manifestation of OP, why not a bunch of demon soletaken or d'ivers too eh?

the woman ruthan gudd is talking about could even be a jaghut who had a hand in creating stormriders.

woo enough wild speculating for one post
There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#33 User is offline   ISTN4249 

• Sergeant

Posted 31 August 2009 - 05:06 PM

Sinisdar Toste, on Aug 31 2009, 06:42 AM, said:

the most intriguing thing is how he says "she answers - as she has never answered before. gods below, spawn of the azath -" just before the shit goes through the fan and is obliterated into tiny fragments. which she could he be referring to? at first i thought nightchill, just cuz it would tie in with the EG theory, but im not sure about it. this also happens right before he puts on his fancy stormrider gear, could the she be the one giving him the armour? wouldn't have had to be cuz gudd was with the riders for a while or something, cuz that seems permanent.

hrm. what was Olar Ethil up to at that point?

#34 User is offline   Urizen 

• First Sword

Posted 31 August 2009 - 07:42 PM

Sinisdar Toste, on Aug 31 2009, 11:42 AM, said:

my first thought was that Gudd was refering to Tavore.

#35 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 31 August 2009 - 07:52 PM

and consider this, over the course of the series we've learned of a soletaken demon familiar, moby, who is apparently a jaghut creation. then just now in DoD sandalath tells us that the gaddamn nachts are demon soletaken as well. or maybe d'ivers.

When was it shown that Moby was created by a Jaghut? All I remember from Deadhouse Gates is Moby preferring to appear as a bhok'aral, when he's really a giant demon. He was Barukanal's familiar, and since Uncle Baruk had been around for ages as a secretly powerful mage, I presume he summoned and befriended Moby. Even within the Azath, Moby preferred to remain visible as a bhok'aral when speaking with the other armored inhabitant.

The Nachts were hiding in similar manner, though we do have Sandalath's speculation and the killing of the Forkul Assail scene which is pretty credible.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#36 User is offline   Sinisdar Toste 

• Dead Serious
  • View gallery

Posted 01 September 2009 - 05:03 AM

amphibian, on Aug 31 2009, 02:52 PM, said:

and consider this, over the course of the series we've learned of a soletaken demon familiar, moby, who is apparently a jaghut creation. then just now in DoD sandalath tells us that the gaddamn nachts are demon soletaken as well. or maybe d'ivers.

When was it shown that Moby was created by a Jaghut? All I remember from Deadhouse Gates is Moby preferring to appear as a bhok'aral, when he's really a giant demon. He was Barukanal's familiar, and since Uncle Baruk had been around for ages as a secretly powerful mage, I presume he summoned and befriended Moby. Even within the Azath, Moby preferred to remain visible as a bhok'aral when speaking with the other armored inhabitant.

The Nachts were hiding in similar manner, though we do have Sandalath's speculation and the killing of the Forkul Assail scene which is pretty credible.

actually its uncle mammots familiar, as i search through GotM looking for the relevant quote. i'm quite sure moby is mentioned in connection with the jaghut somewhere in here. still looking

EDIT: ah i guess i just invented that detail about moby, buggah

This post has been edited by Sinisdar Toste: 01 September 2009 - 05:29 AM

There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.

- Oscar Levant

#37 User is offline   ISTN4249 

• Sergeant

Posted 01 September 2009 - 05:15 AM

pg 612 of the mass market ppb (US). this might be what you were thinking of. ill keep looking too though

Quick Ben heard Mammot's scream.

"Attend, Wizard!" the woman said. "He is Jaghut possessed!"

This post has been edited by ISTN4249: 01 September 2009 - 05:16 AM

#38 User is offline   Chaeone 

• Irish Expat

Posted 01 September 2009 - 01:25 PM

Sinisdar Toste, on Aug 31 2009, 11:42 AM, said:

and consider this, over the course of the series we've learned of a soletaken demon familiar, moby, who is apparently a jaghut creation. then just now in DoD sandalath tells us that the gaddamn nachts are demon soletaken as well. or maybe d'ivers. hell the stormriders are obviously a manifestation of OP, why not a bunch of demon soletaken or d'ivers too eh?

the woman ruthan gudd is talking about could even be a jaghut who had a hand in creating stormriders.

woo enough wild speculating for one post

Pure speculation, could "she" be ardata? we know she's still active, just not really involved. And wasn't she somewhere on jakuracku? or was that Assail?

#39 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 01 September 2009 - 01:49 PM

Ardata has an empire on Jacurucku, I believe.
Spoiler
If it is her it raises some questions over where her allegiance lies, and what her ultimate goals are. She has ties to Skinner, who is now the King in Chains, she has marked Mappo, and now she might be mixed up with Ruthan Gudd. She could be hedging her bets, recruiting people from different sides to ensure she gets something out of what's coming.

Oh. and we've never seen Assail, I'm fairly sure. It is still a complete and utter mystery.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#40 User is offline   Urizen 

• First Sword

Posted 01 September 2009 - 06:12 PM

Mappo's Travelling Sack, on Sep 1 2009, 01:49 PM, said:

Ardata has an empire on Jacurucku, I believe.
Spoiler
If it is her it raises some questions over where her allegiance lies, and what her ultimate goals are. She has ties to Skinner, who is now the King in Chains, she has marked Mappo, and now she might be mixed up with Ruthan Gudd. She could be hedging her bets, recruiting people from different sides to ensure she gets something out of what's coming.

Oh. and we've never seen Assail, I'm fairly sure. It is still a complete and utter mystery.

I'm not convinced that Ardata is in cahoots with
Spoiler

Back to Gudd and some perhaps pointless knowledge about him. In TBH, as the army awaits Admiral Nok's fleet, he talks about the Strike Island and how the inhabitants on Strike are the orignal inhabitants to the Falari Islands and the "current" Falari were invaders.

Share this topic:

• 12 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users