Malazan Empire: Who the hell is Ruthan Gudd? - Malazan Empire

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Who the hell is Ruthan Gudd? For those who have finished DoD only Rate Topic: -----

#221 User is offline   Abey1245 

• Corporal
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:20 PM

A staple food source from the bottom of the ocean? Highly unlikely, as fishing takes place much, much closer to the surface. Do we know how old Nerruse is? As a goddess of the seas she has surely been around for ages, if not, perhaps he could be another descendant of Mael. Everything for him always hints to water, at least that's how it seems to me.

#222 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 06 May 2012 - 08:25 PM

R

Hardly impossible he recognised it from when it was much more common but as you say might not be correct. The example we have is Sechul LAth creating the newer gods and Oponn isnt considered an elder god and is infact cosnidered less than a child in relation the magic that made Tool. Nerruse and Beru are likely new gods so not likely to be Nerruse.

Also Nerruse is a girl and was at one point like a mile away from her father who probably would have been like 'my daughters with that army btw Tehol. Yes it looks like a man and has sex with an undead lady but definitely my daughter'

This post has been edited by Jean-Claude Van tiam: 06 May 2012 - 08:27 PM

#223 User is offline   D'rek 

• Consort of High House Mafia
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:08 PM

Descendant of Mael is an interesting idea. I don't think Ruthan could possibly be Nerruse or Beru, but he could be a non-god, lesser descendant of Mael (kind of like Jayashul compared to Sukul and Menandore - all Osseric's daughters but not on the same scale of efficacy).

View Postworrywort, on 14 September 2012 - 08:07 PM, said:

I kinda love it when D'rek unleashes her nerd wrath, as I knew she would here. Sorry innocent bystanders, but someone's gotta be the kindling.

#224 User is offline   Phaedrus 

• Recruit

Posted 12 May 2012 - 07:25 PM

Whoever the guy is... He wins ultimate badass award for his final charge there. He seems to be a stormrider, or a very powerful human with stormrider equipment at his disposal.

#225 User is offline   Spidermule 

• Recruit

Posted 30 June 2012 - 02:57 PM

View PostUrizen, on 23 January 2010 - 10:51 PM, said:

View Postanothevilbadguy, on 23 January 2010 - 10:09 PM, said:

View Postchampooon, on 20 January 2010 - 07:55 PM, said:

can't think of any known andii etc he could be...

I am having trouble remembering, but I think there where suggestions of maybe a link to Blind Gallan (think thats his name), who was a poet and powerful mage andii, who seems to be unaccounted for, and was mentioned quite a bit in DoD.

I don't know about that. While it's been a loong time and all, I don't see any similarities between crazed with grief Blind Gallan and QB.
QB could be inhabited by Grizzin Farl's "soul" and through it be "aspected" to drakness since we don't know what Grizzin Farl's aspect was. For all we know he was Brother of Warm nights to compliment Nightchill being Sister of Cold nights and Draconus being King of Night.

I don't see Gudd as Grizzin Farl as Gudd seems to be more of a follower, which I don't see in an Elder God. Those EG's we see all have a certain selfishness and independance that I don't see in Gudd. QB on the other hand...
I still feel Gudd originaly was a powerful Tiste Andi that followed Draconus rather than being a follower of Rake, Silchas and the other Andi lords and ladies. Perhaps he was to Draconus what Spinnock was to Rake.

so thats maybe why gudd is having sex all the time?
Nefarious Bredd is a Mule!

#226 User is offline   Mrs Savagely Wishy Washy 

• unaligned and irremediable
  • Interests:vested.
  • Ugly is the new pretty.

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:30 AM

I haven't read all of the posts in this thread- so sorry if I am repeating.

Stonewielder Spoiler

Spoiler

I think Ruthan Gudd is a Stormrider, that's how I interpreted the scence anyways. What QB says sounds to me as if the Stormriders were the offspring of Nerruse who is/could be a daughter of Mael, after all. We don't have an awful lot of information on the Warren of the Sea, yet. RG may have been one of her first children, that could explain his age, and power to shape-shift. L'Oric has done it, and if I remember correctly, Rake has also been hiding his true identity amongst people- was it the Seguleh? for a time.

I quite like the post that the Adjuncts Otataral sword negated the magic that he used to conceal the identity of his weapons and armour.

Also, I say Grizzin Farl is the Nefarius Bredd of the Elder Gods.

This post has been edited by Miss Savagely Wishy Washy : 23 March 2013 - 09:41 AM

but are they worth preserving?
'that judgement does not belong to you.'

#227 User is offline   tiam 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Mott Irregulars

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:02 PM

View PostMiss Savagely Wishy Washy, on 23 March 2013 - 09:30 AM, said:

I think Ruthan Gudd is a Stormrider, that's how I interpreted the scence anyways.

Its unlikely IMO that a Storm Rider, when charging thousands of KCNR, would say 'I hope this Storm Rider stuff works'. That lack of familiarity with the equipment seals the deal for me.

#228 User is offline   Aertheron 

• Corporal

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:57 PM

Hi Guys,

I don't think he is an Elder God. (see spoiler for reason why)
That he has been around for some time is clear, otherwise he wouldn't have known Draconus from before his stay in Dragnipur.
He is also not a Storm Rider, because he is unsure if the "Storm Rider stuff" will work.
He is not a soul taken or D'ivers because why didn't he veer into that form to fight the Nah'Ruk.

So what options do we have left?
First Hero?
Ascendant? - The Malazan Wikia lists him as such, but reading his article I don't see any evidence for it, except him being very old.

Spoiler

Share this topic:

• 12 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users