• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Just bought the first 3

#21 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Football

Posted 13 May 2009 - 03:34 AM

In actuality, the books are fairly formulaic. Harry gets pushed to the bring as things tend to "converge" like in Malazan, and he pulls it out in the end. But, then again, most fantasy is formulaic. "The Hero of a Thousand Faces." The difference with Dresden is that Butcher has created a very large universe in which to play around in, and the humor is so fantastic that it keeps the formulaic story unpredictable and fun.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#22 User is offline   Assail 

• Destriant of the Abyssmal Army
  • Group: The Abyssmal Army

Posted 13 May 2009 - 03:52 AM

View PostHoosierDaddy, on May 12 2009, 08:34 PM, said:

In actuality, the books are fairly formulaic. Harry gets pushed to the bring as things tend to "converge" like in Malazan, and he pulls it out in the end. But, then again, most fantasy is formulaic. "The Hero of a Thousand Faces." The difference with Dresden is that Butcher has created a very large universe in which to play around in, and the humor is so fantastic that it keeps the formulaic story unpredictable and fun.

I agree. Hey is it just me but does Butcher keep describing everything at the start of the novel? Mister, his Beetle etc etc. Is he trying to make each book readable as a standalone?
I still heart Goodkind.

#23 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 13 May 2009 - 03:54 AM

Maybe at first. And to some extent, maybe still. But, by the time you get to where we are in the series, there are arc's overreaching individual books, that he does take a wee bit of time to back-story up, but are clearly the TRUE story of the series. Kind of reminiscent of Donaldson's Covenant trilogies.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#24 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 13 May 2009 - 11:18 AM

It's part and parcel of the format: noir(ish) detective story. The genre always has repetition for common elements that recur throughout -- they serve to orient new readers, and as familiar milestones for fans.
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#25 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 13 May 2009 - 02:38 PM

Probably the same reason they stopped putting 'Book # of the Dresden Files' on the covers and now just include 'A Novel of the Dresden Files'.

- Abyss, self-contained.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#26 User is offline   Assail 

Posted 16 May 2009 - 02:39 AM

Finished Death Masks. Definitely my favourite so far.
Spoiler

Just watched 10 minutes of the T.V. series and my God, this shit is fucking awful. Bob isn't a skull anymore? What. The. Fuck. AND HE DOESN'T DRIVE A BEETLE?!

THE TRAVESTY!

Edit: Okay, fucking hell, Carmichael isn't even fat. What the fuck is this shit. Who hired the fucking screen writer?

This post has been edited by Aptorian: 26 May 2009 - 09:42 AM

I still heart Goodkind.

#27 User is offline   Skywalker 

• Mortal LightSaber
  • Pedant.

Posted 26 May 2009 - 08:50 AM

View PostFluffy Princess, on May 16 2009, 08:09 AM, said:

Spoiler
Lol

Can't say its my favorite so far (I'm kinda partial to Summer Knight)... I'm halfway through Blood Rites now, and it looks awesome too. I think Fluffy Assail overtook me :rant: No more keeping pace in the reading, eh?

Just watched 10 minutes of the T.V. series and my God, this shit is fucking awful. Bob isn't a skull anymore? What. The. Fuck. AND HE DOESN'T DRIVE A BEETLE?!

THE TRAVESTY!

Edit: Okay, fucking hell, Carmichael isn't even fat. What the fuck is this shit. Who hired the fucking screen writer?

Erm... as your evil yearded overlord Badkind would say "The series is not the book"

*snickers*

:)
Forum Member from the Old Days. Alive, but mostly inactive/ occasionally lurking

#28 User is offline   Assail 

Posted 26 May 2009 - 02:44 PM

View PostSkywalker, on May 26 2009, 01:50 AM, said:

Spoiler
Lol

Can't say its my favorite so far (I'm kinda partial to Summer Knight)... I'm halfway through Blood Rites now, and it looks awesome too. I think Fluffy Assail overtook me :rant: No more keeping pace in the reading, eh?

THE TRAVESTY!

Erm... as your evil yearded overlord Badkind would say "The series is not the book"

*snickers*

:)

No reason to 150% butcher the bloody book though lol. Take your snickers and leave! :rant:

Edit: Oh and yeah, I just finished Small Favor. I think I've had quite a bit more spare time though, if that makes you feel better.

This post has been edited by Assail: 26 May 2009 - 02:45 PM

I still heart Goodkind.

#29 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 26 May 2009 - 07:20 PM

The tv series did not happen.

- Abyss, because if we all believe it hard enuf, eventually it will be true.

#30 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing. Martial arts. Sport. Music, playing and singing, composition.

Posted 26 May 2009 - 07:57 PM

Oh come on, the TV series wasn't a complete travesty! I actually kinda liked the guy who played Harry! And they had to change Bob, a talking skull would never have worked on the screen. I actually kinda liked it. It doesn't make the books any worse.
It is perfectly monstrous the way people go about nowadays saying things against one, behind one's back, that are absolutely and entirely true.
-- Oscar Wilde

#31 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 26 May 2009 - 08:00 PM

Of course a talking skull would have worked on the screen. If they didn't have the money to make it look believable they could just had left the skull inanimate and had it illuminated from within with a blue glow and a eerie voice coming out of it.

Still haven't watched any of the episodes, really would like to though.

#32 User is offline   Assail 

Posted 26 May 2009 - 08:00 PM

View Postjitsukerr, on May 26 2009, 12:57 PM, said:

Oh come on, the TV series wasn't a complete travesty! I actually kinda liked the guy who played Harry! And they had to change Bob, a talking skull would never have worked on the screen. I actually kinda liked it. It doesn't make the books any worse.

BURN HIM! BURN HIM NOW!

Sure, I thought the guy who played the actor fit the role, even if he wasn't that funny. But come on, they didn't even get Murphy right, or Carmichael, or THE BEETLE. Bob as a talking skull would have been a hell of a lot cheaper and easier with today's technology as opposed to hiring an actor. Sure it didn't make the books worse, but if people were going to see that show, they might think less of the books because of the stupid people who made the show.

This show was worse than legend of the seeker. And that's saying something considering the amount of deviation they did from the SOT books.
I still heart Goodkind.

#33 User is offline   Use Of Weapons 

• Soletaken
  • View gallery

Posted 26 May 2009 - 08:17 PM

But what you mean by 'right' basically equates to 'like the books', does it not? I don't really care about that. All I care about it if they got the _feel_ of the books onto the screen. And for my part, they did, at least the feel of the first books.
-- Oscar Wilde

#34 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 27 May 2009 - 03:01 PM

I do not say that the tv series was shite based on how they changed things from the books. I have precisely zero angst over any time a property is changed when it jumps mediums. There are generally good reasons for those changes. In fact, i thought some of the changes were awesome - the Hockey Stick of Doom instead of a staff, the jeep instead of the Beetle, Harry's office being in a warehouse that he lives in instead of the books' basement/rarely seen office... I even liked the actor.

But the bulk of acting was dire, the plots were lame (damsel in distress crosses Harry's path, Harry must help, supernatural villain is vanquished, rinse, repeat) and the couple of eps that were mildly less lame in plot - the Bob ep, the werewolf ep, the thing with the dragon.... - were STILL predictable and lame. Gee, Bob is tempted by the Dark Side... will he side with evil and sacrifice Harry??? Um, no. Will Harry kill the damsel in distress werewolf? Umm, no. Is Murphy REALLY dead? Um, no. Shapeshifter.

I don't expect brilliance from most tv but when they take a core concept like 'Wizard, PI' and can't come up with better than what we got, the show deserves what happened to it.

- Abyss, ...really did like the hockey stick tho'...

#35 User is offline   MTS 

• Fourth Investiture

Posted 27 May 2009 - 04:05 PM

I just bought the first Dresden the other day. Now if I continue reading I'll have an idea of what the hell you guys are talking about! :D

Wizard, P.I. though - sounds cool.
Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem.

Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades.

#36 User is offline   Abyss 

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:51 PM

we have another one... excellent...

- Abyss, notes its all going according to plan, yesss....

#37 User is offline   Assail 

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:18 PM

View PostAbyss, on May 27 2009, 12:51 PM, said:

we have another one... excellent...

- Abyss, notes its all going according to plan, yesss....

Yes... yesssssssss.
I still heart Goodkind.

#38 User is offline   RangerSG 

• Fist

Posted 29 May 2009 - 11:13 PM

I curse you Assail and Abyss, for you got me hooked on Dresdencrack as well. Midway through Summer Knight now, and Butcher is amazing.

I watched an episode of the TV show the other day, and I think the problem with it for me was the guy who plays Dresden is all of Harry's smarmy and none of Harry's chivalry.

#39 User is offline   Assail 

Posted 30 May 2009 - 09:34 PM

View PostRangerSG, on May 29 2009, 04:13 PM, said:

I curse you Assail and Abyss, for you got me hooked on Dresdencrack as well. Midway through Summer Knight now, and Butcher is amazing.

I watched an episode of the TV show the other day, and I think the problem with it for me was the guy who plays Dresden is all of Harry's smarmy and none of Harry's chivalry.

Curse us? Without us you would be without Butcher! Without us you would be a mess!
I still heart Goodkind.

#40 User is offline   Skywalker 

• Mortal LightSaber
  • Pedant.

Posted 12 July 2009 - 04:41 AM

I've been missing from the forums for a while (yes, again) so just wanted to put up a hand and say... I finished Turn Coat, and now cannot wait for Changes. Also, Jim Butcher rocks enough that I'm going to take Codex Alera out for a spin. Unfortunately can't read too much for the next couple of weeks, and there is that Malazan re-read (GotM -> TtH + NoK, RotCG) that I'd promised myself, so...
Forum Member from the Old Days. Alive, but mostly inactive/ occasionally lurking

Share this topic:

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users