• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Elder Scrolls Series First Person RPG Goodness

#1161 User is offline   Defiance 

• Vicariously I live while the whole world dies
  • Group: Malaz Regular
  • Interests:Malazan, RPGs, writing

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:41 PM

I refuse to watch or read anything about ESO. Maybe it'll turn out to be a good game (highly unlikely considering what I've heard from others), but there has literally never been a moment where I was playing Elder Scrolls and thought "this would be more fun with a friend!"
uhm, that should be 'stuff.' My stiff is never nihilistic.
~Steven Erikson

Mythwood: Play-by-post RP board.

#1162 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

The thing is, this game won't be Skyrim with friends. It will be world of Warcraft/Guildwars/Rift/Warhammer: AOR, etc just with Skyrim names and places. It will be point and click, run around and do fetch quests while you grind out your xp so you can get your flying dragon or what ever end content they make up.

The game was conceived before the MMORPG genre went truly in to decline and for some reason nobody thought to cut their loses. Most likely, even as SWTOR was released, Bethesda had already sunk so much money into the development that they "might as well" finish the product and try and earn some of the money back through day one sales and plan for some f2p model 6 months down the line.

Personally I would love it if it was Skyrim with friends, and I haven't even played Skyrim yet (still waiting for Dragonborn DLC for PC). It's what people are waiting for. A giant open world First Person adventure game. The only thing holding the idea back so far is people's connections and computer power. And the right company with the right ambition. Most likely Titan from Blizzard will be the answer to this but lets see.

#1163 User is offline   Tattersail_ 

• formerly Ganoes Paran
  • Group: High House Mafia
  • Interests:Mafia. Awesome Pictures. Awesome Videos. Did I mention Mafia?
    snapchat - rustyspoon84

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:19 AM

I have this but I have not played it yet. I am waiting for the right time.
Apt is the only one who reads this. Apt is nice.

#1164 User is offline   Lucifer's Heaven 

• Shaved Knuckle
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:05 PM

As I have said previously, I would love a multiplayer TES game. In fact there are very few games I don't think would be improved by the inclusion of optional co-op. The point being optional. Especially games that force you to play with a squad or party anyway. Mass Effect games not allowing you to have a friend control one of your squad mates is retarded. But anyway, I've said all that before.

This video pissed me off.
It's supposed to show case the three sides of the conflict. And yet, for a start it's not even evident that they are three separate sides to begin with. The elf sorceress bits shouldn't have been cut up amongst the assassin bits for a start. And they should have had some distinguishable colour schemes or banners.
They had a whole bunch of opportunity to show at least one of each race doing something cool. All three "main" representatives had at least part of the video with at least two allies. And at no point did they showcase any of the more unique looking TES races (the Dunmer being the most exotic) .
The Nord rocks up with TWO Dunmer and you see the edge of an Argonian in the background. Then as they move forward you get a good look at everyone except the Argonian, who it cuts before you even see. Then you see an Argonian silhouette in the background that doesn't move (did you even spot the Argonian at all first time around, I didn't). Then you get to see the Nord and both the Dunmer fight. That's the only time you see any of either beast race or the Orsimer. And it's debatable if you see any Redguard or Bosmer (the assassin dude is a Breton).
To highlight how unique and interesting their game is they decide that their primary trio are:
  • A viking warrior with melee weapons
  • A female elf mage with random skin showing
  • An "assassin" using a bow and thrown weapons
This video pretty much highlights my issues with the game.
It looks pretty cool, there is some very cool bits in there. But it's a bit of a mess overall (as someone said it's not put together very coherently), and there is no need for it to be a TES game.
There are some cool things they're doing.
  • Movement and combat is first/third person with the mouse being locked to look. A left click is a swing, right is block/use second weapon, etc (they aren't the only MMO doing that, but I still like it).
  • Enemy AI sounds way better, and they are grouped up. So aggroing one means everyone who should logically notice and care will join in (no more picking a single enemy and having his allies three feet away ignore him getting attacked), you basically fight enemies by the room and they work together as a team, coordinating targets and stuff.
  • Any class can use any weapon and armour.
  • TESO warzone stuff should be pretty epic (they have at least one dev from Dark Age of Camelot working on it).

All that sounds pretty awesome. But a lot of other stuff bothers me.
Each alliance basically has an agility, a magic and a strength focused race. They can go anything but it's what they're geared towards. They are balancing the three sides to add up to the same, a kind of balancing TES has never done before. Previously it's always just been each race should be worth about the same overall. This balancing everything to an alliance template leads to weirdness like the fact that despite you playing one of the "small bipedal" Khajiit breeds (Suthay-Raht) the Khajiit are the "strength" race for their alliance (because they're lumped in with Altmer and Bosmer). It's randomly inconsiderate to lore, and insanely simple to fix; just change the breed to a "large bipedal" one, like Cathay. But it's the sort of thing they just seem to miss/not care about. Argonians probably won't have Breathe Water to be "fair", so everyone can explore everywhere evenly. Not even getting into the fact that they're supposed to have entire underwater cities/fortresses purely so no other race can fully conquer them. Removal of choice/being an individual, as each race will be locked into an alliance, and you will only be able to explore the land of your alliance and the central warzone. Despite the fact that we can go to Elsweyr, EVERY SINGLE KHAJIIT PC AND NPC IN THE GAME WILL BE OF THE ONE BREED! So on and so forth.

A much better primary trio to highlight the good stuff/potential about the game would be something more along the lines of:
  • A heavily armoured Khajiit mage using two axes
  • A medium armoured Orsimer using a shield and thrown knives
  • A Dunmer agility fighter using a greatsword

That'd be interesting and unique.

NOTE: According to lore there are 17 Khajiit breeds, in case you are wondering. There is a huge amount of physical variation between them, so I'm not just being picky with that qualm.
In most TES games they pick one as the most common in that region and that's what all the ones in that game are. The Mane, is a special breed, there is only one at a time, but all 16 other breeds are fairly common in the Khajiit homeland of Elsweyr. There are bipedal and quadrupedal breeds.
Quadrupedal:
Range in size from house cat size (looks like a cat, but has human intellect and can cast magic) through to a tiger like one that, when standing on hind legs, is twice the height of the Altmer (which is tallest of all Mer and Man races). Big enough for the largest bipedal ones to ride into battle (so they're nicknamed battlecats).
Bipedal:
Usual looking Khajiit with average size of breeds ranging from a short human to a head or so taller than the Altmer. The big ones being quite buff and are able to easily leap over several ranks of soldiers. There are also some breeds that are tailless and look almost identical to Bosmer. Some of the ones from those breeds tattoo their faces to be more cat-like, but others can pass as mer or man, and do so.
"So how'd you save the world?"
"Averted the rapture by drowning the baby Jesus in his own tears"

#1165 User is offline   Silencer 

• Manipulating Special Data
  • Interests:Malazan Book of the Fallen series.
    Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:09 PM

Which was pretty much guaranteed to happen when they made an "MMO". I mean seriously. :)

And that's ignoring the finer lore points that make some of those alliances downright laughable. Not to mention they're going the whole "every single member of this race thinks the same" stereotype that I despise in these kinds of games. At the very least I want there to be the ability to have rogue members of an alliance who sign up with the other side. Ugh.

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#1166 User is offline   Lucifer's Heaven 

• Shaved Knuckle

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:29 AM

Yeah same.
It wouldn't be difficult either. All the alliances are different kinds of alliance, with different beliefs of how things should be done. A mission somewhere along the line where you infiltrate the other two alliances as a spy/emissary/trader and get a bit of a look at how they run, some exposition into how they think. Then at the end a chance to be an expatriate. Permanently changing your areas and alliance to that side. With no option to change again with that character. They wouldn't want the ability to change sides whenever, as that would screw around with the PvP war, people would just switch to the winning side. Not an issue with this idea though. Maybe even put a level cap on when you can switch. Say it has to be done before level 10, otherwise you've done too much damage to the other alliances for them to trust and accept you or something. Level 10 is also when you're allowed into the PvP.

In fact I was just writing another overly long post which mentioned that issue elsewhere. I shall post a link to the article and repost my comment here. It's an alright read for some info on some of the stuff the game is doing, but should probably be taken with the pinch of salt that is my response.

PS - I will double post so my next one is easy to ignore if you wish.

#1167 User is offline   Lucifer's Heaven 

• Shaved Knuckle

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:49 AM

Read this first: http://elderscrollso...will-rule-2013/

This kind of annoys me a bit.

10) Could be interesting, I am curious to see how this turns out
9) Theoretically true, except, that, well, most of it won't be explorable on release. And yes, there is good potential for expansion, but I don't know that it's going to be any bigger than a lot of other MMOs on release. Guild Wars 2 (which I may be comparing to a few times as it is the most recently released AAA MMO to compare to) had a huge amount of space and also has a ridiculous amount of potential room to expand.
8) The factions so far seem a little forced. Especially the part where they are making things the same across them. Things like making the Khajiit a "strength focussed" race, because the Altmer are magic and the Bosmer are agility, and they "have" to have a strength, agility and magic focussed race in each alliance. *sigh* There is such a thing as asymmetrical teams that are still balanced.
7) It's just a big server with lots of mirrors. That's not particularly new, lots of MMOs use mirrors. It has some really clever sounding ideas for how it will decide which mirror to load you into and with whom, that could be really cool. From a tech side it's not very amazing though. Heck Eve Online has only one server and NO mirrors, EVERYBODY plays in the same game space and can run across everybody else. It's done that since it launched and it's 10 years old. And now they're adding a completely different game to that server for real time interaction. THAT is amazing tech.
6) Should hopefully be good or better :)
5) Okay, the graphics look good, damn good for an MMO, but they're definitely a solid chunk down from Skyrim. If you can't see the difference then... Well I suppose that has some positives and negatives for you.
4) So far, most of the footage looks a lot like Guild Wars 2 WvW footage. Which I think is great, but like a few bits here it speaks more of the author's isolation from a lot of other good games out there than it does of this game being unique. And yes the big PvP in this could be different and awesome, but we haven't seen that in the videos yet. And on top of that they have pretty much stated that they're aiming for war like Dark Age of Camelot's, they even have a dev from that game heading the team doing the PvP.
3) Another point that's easy to compare with Guild Wars 2, and in fact Guild Wars. Which actually started the whole "use less slots to make interesting builds" idea that this game is using.
2) No. This is not the first MMO to be using click to swing. Not by a long shot. Don't get me wrong, I greatly prefer this sort of combat, and TESO using it is good. But this game isn't the start of a revolution. Again, author's ignorance.
1) What's that you say? Freedom? You mean I am free to play my character how I want? I can make my own class? I can foray into enemy territory to do dangerous missions or just sabotage their stuff? I can steal anything that isn't furniture? I have a choice of whose side I am on? I can become an expatriate, because I am an individual not a racial drone.
No. No I can't do any of that.
I do love that any race can play any class (another not new, but good feature), and I love that all classes can use any weapon and any armour and that your available skills change to reflect this. That's great.
Not having to do the whole quest hubs thing and being able to level by just exploring and joining in is also neat. Again though, ground already broken. Good it's in there, but not a new idea.

That's pretty much why it annoyed me. They really do have some great ideas, and are implementing some other peoples great ideas. Possibly even doing a better job of some of them. But a lot of the stuff I read about the game seems to try really hard to make ALL of the stuff they're doing sound like their own original unique ideas and they're the first to do them and they're revolutionising MMOs in each of those areas. Which is just downright lying.
It could have been written with all the same points, but more measured, with less...PR style information. Nothing wrong with not pretending every feature is new and unique. Some of the best games are collections of features from other games, that are done really well (possibly with a unique twist) and put together really well.
I much prefer a more honest preview.

#1168 User is offline   Garak 

• Emperor
  • Interests:40k, Star Wars, Babylon 5, WW2, A Song of Ice and Fire, the Drenai series, the Riftwar and all that followed it, D&D, Vikings, the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I think you get the gist of it.

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

I probably won't bother with this game. But the one thing that instantly irked me about it is that you can't join the Imperial Legion. I've joined them in Morrowind and Skyrim (damn you Oblivion) and I always loved those guys.

On the other hands, Nords, Dunmer and Argonians working together sounds insanely hilarious. I can just imagine them constantly snarking at one another (well, depending on the individuals of course).
The meaning of life is BOOM!!!

#1169 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:11 AM

Well, I've tried a few times to like this game. I even brought it with me and loaded it on to my new laptop to see if it could help me kill a few hours here and there but no ... the complete inability to take left and right turning away from the mouse and put it into a much more logical WASD setup just fucks me every time. Q and E are for strafing left and right, the mouse is for targetting and view. This makes sense from an ergonomic viewpoint as otherwise I'm repeatedly swiping the damn mouse all over the desk to simply turn around on the spot, and thus makes it slow to target things.

Sorry Skyrim, you could have been a fun game, but that 1 crucial thing has forever barred me from playing you.

Uninstall. ^_^
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#1170 User is offline   Obdigore 

• ThunderBear

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:47 AM

View PostSombra, on 07 April 2013 - 07:11 AM, said:

Well, I've tried a few times to like this game. I even brought it with me and loaded it on to my new laptop to see if it could help me kill a few hours here and there but no ... the complete inability to take left and right turning away from the mouse and put it into a much more logical WASD setup just fucks me every time. Q and E are for strafing left and right, the mouse is for targetting and view. This makes sense from an ergonomic viewpoint as otherwise I'm repeatedly swiping the damn mouse all over the desk to simply turn around on the spot, and thus makes it slow to target things.

Sorry Skyrim, you could have been a fun game, but that 1 crucial thing has forever barred me from playing you.

Uninstall. ^_^

You think a and d should turn you? Oh Sombra. You poor misguided fool.
Monster Hunter World Iceborne: It's like hunting monsters, but on crack, but the monsters are also on crack.

#1171 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:31 AM

Addendum to my last:

One of my roommates has showed me how to increase the mouse sensitivity so at least I don't have to swipe-swipe-swipe every time I want to turn or check right. I will try to give it a go for a while, but I still far prefer the other way.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#1172 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:10 AM

Uninstall. ^_^

You poor man... A and D are for strafing...
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#1173 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:59 AM

I'm definitely not touching the ES MMO. Hopefully they'll just ignore the whole thing when it comes to lore of the regular ES titles.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#1174 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:18 AM

Sombra lives in a parallel world to the rest of us, wherein mice are neither sensitive nor intuitive devices for interacting with virtual worlds. Sadly for him, every decent game/gamer EVER has been built with this most fundamental control scheme in mind. ^_^

...and I seem to recall having this conversation before somewhere. Any ideas if you've made this poor argument before, Sombra? XD

Shinrei said:

<Vote Silencer> For not garnering any heat or any love for that matter. And I'm being serious here, it's like a mental block that is there, and you just keep forgetting it.

#1175 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:19 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 07 April 2013 - 10:59 AM, said:

I'm definitely not touching the ES MMO. Hopefully they'll just ignore the whole thing when it comes to lore of the regular ES titles.

Dude, they can barely ignore those atrocious novels, how do you think they'll ignore the MMO? ^_^

Shinrei said:

#1176 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 07 April 2013 - 11:44 AM

That's the thing about old people, they're bad at adapting to advances in technology. Like a mouse.

(I went back to an old keyboard turning FPS - maybe original Duke 3D, I forget - and I was weirded the fuck out at first, just stick with it and you'll sort it pretty soon)
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#1177 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:53 PM

Allright so I've been playing it a bit again, this time going for a heavy armor two-hander restoration type build. smithing and enchanting also, obviously.
Also, I've modeled this char to look like my ex (gf at the time). Long tradition continued :) spoilered for size:
Spoiler

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#1178 User is offline   Mentalist 

• Martyr of High House Mafia
  • Interests:Soccer, Chess, swimming, books, misc
  • Junior Mafia Mod

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:15 PM

Uninstall. :)

What Gothos said. A and D are fo srafing, Q and E are for leaning (which seems to be alost art form in most games nowadays)

View PostSilencer, on 07 April 2013 - 11:19 AM, said:

Dude, they can barely ignore those atrocious novels, how do you think they'll ignore the MMO? :)

By setting it before Morrowind in the Timeline?

This post has been edited by Mentalist: 17 April 2013 - 11:17 PM

The problem with the gene pool is that there's no lifeguard
THE CONTESTtm WINNER--чемпіон самоконтролю

View PostJump Around, on 23 October 2011 - 11:04 AM, said:

And I want to state that Ment has out-weaseled me by far in this game.

#1179 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:21 AM

LEft thumbstick moves, right thumbstick looks. Never a problem.
Error: Signature not valid

#1180 User is offline   Silencer 

Computer Game Design.
    Programming.

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:35 AM

View PostMentalist, on 17 April 2013 - 11:15 PM, said:

Uninstall. :p

What Gothos said. A and D are fo srafing, Q and E are for leaning (which seems to be alost art form in most games nowadays)

View PostSilencer, on 07 April 2013 - 11:19 AM, said:

Dude, they can barely ignore those atrocious novels, how do you think they'll ignore the MMO? :D

By setting it before Morrowind in the Timeline?

Eh, I doubt it. That isn't so much "ignoring" as it is "setting it so far in the past the events cannot have ramifications on the present time" - BUT, that doesn't mean the events and so forth do not become canon/lore and it also doesn't prevent them from choosing to do something like the Warp in the West again to reconcile something "awesome" that happens in the MMO with the regular games.

Ideally, the would have ignored both the atrocious novels of crapness AND the MMO. But we'll have to wait for the fallout (hehe, pun) from this one, I guess...

Shinrei said:

Share this topic:

• 68 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

7 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users