Ye Big Movie thread

#8061 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?
  • Group: The Wheelchairs of War

Posted 20 May 2016 - 11:05 AM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 20 May 2016 - 10:36 AM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 18 May 2016 - 03:06 PM, said:

View PostMezla PigDog, on 18 May 2016 - 05:00 AM, said:

They're showing the Wolverine movies on Film4 this week. I'm TiVo'ing them as I've only seen them on planes. They're rubbish. Just bored and up for a perv :laughing:

I also don't understand how the ending of DoFT would allow him to get Strykered and get his adamantium skeleton but meh.

Unconscious + government custody = Guinea Pig time!!!

Well if that's how it ended it's ruddy obvious how he got his adamantium. I need to watch that film again.....

No, the film ended happily as far as I recall.

However, after Dwarf Scientist dies, the Military dude is left alive. In the future he heads up the Weapon X program. (Boy, my marvel jeopardy knowledge is fading)

In the comics depending upon the writer Wolverine was either abducted one day while he was out for a beer (or something) or he volunteered/was volunteered for the project, being a Canadian soldier, not knowing what the project was really about.

#8062 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 20 May 2016 - 12:59 PM

View PostMezla PigDog, on 20 May 2016 - 10:36 AM, said:

View PostAbyss, on 18 May 2016 - 03:06 PM, said:

View PostMezla PigDog, on 18 May 2016 - 05:00 AM, said:

They're showing the Wolverine movies on Film4 this week. I'm TiVo'ing them as I've only seen them on planes. They're rubbish. Just bored and up for a perv :laughing:

I also don't understand how the ending of DoFT would allow him to get Strykered and get his adamantium skeleton but meh.

Unconscious + government custody = Guinea Pig time!!!

Well if that's how it ended it's ruddy obvious how he got his adamantium. I need to watch that film again.....

Well he wakes up in custody of the military guy, which you'd think would lead to the experiments etc - but the guy is actually Mistique. That's what made me question it, as why would she be interested in doing that?
So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#8063 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 21 May 2016 - 12:47 PM

Seen the latest Star Trek Beyond trailer?

I don't know what to think of it. Typical cookie-cutter trailer though.

Idris Elba is picking up a lot of gigs these days. Even voice talent roles in Jungle Book and Zootopia.
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#8064 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 21 May 2016 - 12:57 PM

Typical trailer and then in the middle they just straight up spoil a major story turn in the film.

I don't know why I keep watching trailers. I know what is going to happen.

#8065 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 21 May 2016 - 01:03 PM

Join me in the "98% of the time, not seeking out trailers to watch" club. It's just a better user of your time to read reviews in the newspaper or elsewhere.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#8066 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 21 May 2016 - 01:53 PM

As a founding member of a similar club I feel the need to point out to perspective members its a tough crusade, especially when going to the cinema

#8067 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 21 May 2016 - 03:01 PM

I think they felt they had to go for a more normal trailer this time after the completely nuts first one.

As for the major plot turn - if you're talking about what I'm thinking, I think that's less a spoiler than a fair portion of the premise, so I'm okay with that being in it. I don't think I know much more now than I did after the first one, plot-wise, which is fine.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#8068 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 22 May 2016 - 07:24 AM

I just watched the first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie and am ashamed to say how much I enjoyed it. I loved the turtles cartoon as a kid. I could draw them really well when I was about 7 and got the hugest amount of cred at school for it.

All before 8.30am on a Sunday. I watched it whilst sewing Mr PigDogs trousers...not quite how I saw adult life turning out. Think I'll go back to bed now.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#8069 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 22 May 2016 - 08:00 AM

I saw the new X-men last night. It was, hm, alright. Oscar Isaac, the actor in hollywood at the least risk of being typecast, did very well I thought playing the villain of the story. Though he didn't have much to work with. Old, powerful mutant bent on ruling the world because why not is not a particularly interesting premise. Still, he did well.

The regular actors are great as they have been, and the movie is visually impressive. There's not much meat to it though, at the end of the day. Despite the exceptional levels of global destruction, it still felt like a sort of baddie of the week kind of scenario. If that makes sense.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#8070 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 22 May 2016 - 08:30 AM

View PostQuickTidal, on 18 May 2016 - 10:42 PM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 18 May 2016 - 09:27 PM, said:

View Postworry, on 18 May 2016 - 09:08 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 18 May 2016 - 01:35 PM, said:

Finally got to watch EDGE OF TOMORROW....and Meh.

I mean Cruise and Blunt were both great...but the overall premise (like the Japanese lite novel that inspired it) I find to be a bit meh. So while I was moderately entertained, I'm REALLY glad I never saw it in theatre.

Every day more and more you and Apt are switching places.

I was just thinking that! QT what's going on man? Everything OK?

Ha! I'm all good, but we all gotta have Apt days.

Good, good... Let the good taste in films run through you... Now say it with me - The Kingdom of the Krystal Skull was the best best Indiana Jones film... Michael Bay did nothing wrong... Sarah Jessica Parker is a pretty woman!

#8071 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 22 May 2016 - 09:13 AM

View PostMorgoth, on 22 May 2016 - 08:00 AM, said:

The regular actors are great as they have been, and the movie is visually impressive. There's not much meat to it though, at the end of the day. Despite the exceptional levels of global destruction, it still felt like a sort of baddie of the week kind of scenario. If that makes sense.

Makes perfect sense, since that's what Ultron turned out to be (which was fairly disappointing after the great trailer). But Apocalypse is to the X-Men franchise what Thanos is to the MCU, so if that's the case an okay movie might be an even bigger disappointment.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#8072 User is offline   Aptorian 

• How 'bout a hug?

Posted 22 May 2016 - 10:03 AM

This is the fundemental problem with movies, I think. Even if they extend the MCU films to 2,5- 3 hour marathons, the build up comic books allow, is hard to replicate on screen. They are sort of doing it with Thanos by dropping bread crumbs in earlier films but there isn't the true investment in the crisis you'd wish for.

I sort of wish they'd make short films or mini-series, released on social media as prologues and appetizers for the MCU films. Sort of like the short-stories for the Matrix films. It would help to flesh out the universe and characters if you had these 5-10 episodes that allowed one or more characters to be presented. Like how Weyland was presented in the TED-talk before Prometheus was released in theaters. Or how the Matt Damon video blogs helped humanize the crew in The Martian.

It's part of why I think Cap America: Civil War fails as a movie adoption of the comic book run. the film only shows a struggle between a dozen heroes. It never shows you the consequences for average citizens, it doesn't show you SHIELD showing up in Hells Kitchen to arrest Daredevil or a random "Enhanced" being assaulted on the street because of the political chaos, etc. You could show those things in small youtube clips and show the movie goers what is at stake.

This post has been edited by Apt: 22 May 2016 - 10:05 AM

#8073 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 22 May 2016 - 10:50 AM

View Postworry, on 22 May 2016 - 09:13 AM, said:

View PostMorgoth, on 22 May 2016 - 08:00 AM, said:

Makes perfect sense, since that's what Ultron turned out to be (which was fairly disappointing after the great trailer). But Apocalypse is to the X-Men franchise what Thanos is to the MCU, so if that's the case an okay movie might be an even bigger disappointment.

Agreed. Age of Ultron had a great trailer which built up Ultron like some sort of utterly invincible and sinister villain. And then he turned out to be nothing more than a two-bit freak-of-the-week villain with crummy one-liners and stupid plans. Seriously? Throughout that movie, which I sort of liked regardless, I half expected Ultron to start a monologue about his evil plans in a Daffy Duck-esque voice. Ultron was unworthy of the sinister aspect they had played up in trailer with James Spaders otherwise excellent voice acting.
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#8074 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 24 May 2016 - 02:01 AM

I cant not see "Big Fucking Giant" when i read that.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#8075 User is offline   Andorion 

• God
  • Interests:All things Malazan, sundry sci-fi and fantasy, history, Iron Maiden

Posted 24 May 2016 - 02:39 AM

I somehow don't give a shit about the X men movies. I loved First Class, but as soon as I heard that they were doing time travel in Future Past I noped out. I hate time travel.

I haven't seen Wolverine 2 either.

#8076 User is offline   Salt-Man Z 

• My pen halts, though I do not
  • View gallery

Posted 24 May 2016 - 03:29 AM

View PostSlow Ben, on 24 May 2016 - 02:01 AM, said:

I cant not see "Big Fucking Giant" when i read that.

I play OG Doom all the time (indeed, I just finished playing through a new WAD from this year before hopping over here) so I've never been able to see it as anything other than Big Fucking Gun. (Doesn't help that I've never heard of the book before the movie started making noise.)
"Here is light. You will say that it is not a living entity, but you miss the point that it is more, not less. Without occupying space, it fills the universe. It nourishes everything, yet itself feeds upon destruction. We claim to control it, but does it not perhaps cultivate us as a source of food? May it not be that all wood grows so that it can be set ablaze, and that men and women are born to kindle fires?"
―Gene Wolfe, The Citadel of the Autarch

#8077 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 24 May 2016 - 07:57 AM

View PostSalt-Man Z, on 24 May 2016 - 03:29 AM, said:

(Doesn't help that I've never heard of the book before the movie started making noise.)

Philistine! Same goes for anyone fearing being spoilered by the trailer. If you haven't read the book to yourself or your kids then you get left behind when we move on to the next planet.

This post has been edited by Mezla PigDog: 24 May 2016 - 07:59 AM

Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#8078 User is offline   Tsundoku 

• A what?

Posted 24 May 2016 - 08:08 AM

Independence Day: Resurgence extended trailer

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
"Fortune favors the bold, though statistics favor the cautious." - Indomitable Courteous (Icy) Fist, The Palace Job - Patrick Weekes

"Well well well ... if it ain't The Invisible C**t." - Billy Butcher, The Boys

"I have strong views about not tempting providence and, as a wise man once said, the difference between luck and a wheelbarrow is, luck doesn’t work if you push it." - Colonel Orhan, Sixteen Ways to Defend a Walled City - KJ Parker

#8079 User is offline   champ 

• Omnipotent Overseer of the Universe
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 24 May 2016 - 08:11 AM

I don't want to watch that for spoilers - a 5 minute long trailer is nuts and it seems inevitable for major spoilers.

Please correct me if I am wrong and it turns out to be worth the watch.

Tehol said:

'Yet my heart breaks for a naked hen.'

#8080 User is offline   Macros 

• D'ivers Fuckwits

Posted 24 May 2016 - 08:48 AM

same same
not watching will ruin film.

What would have wrong with just Goldblum and pullman having a talk about how the aliens were coming back. How unprepared they were to handle another such invasion. and show us a few splosions.

Share this topic:

• 645 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

13 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users