• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#7601 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 17 August 2015 - 05:12 PM

I recently saw Daybreakers, and while it's not amazing I quite liked it. Like a B-movie Children of Men, haha.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#7602 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 17 August 2015 - 05:20 PM

View PostA Demon Llama!, on 17 August 2015 - 04:12 PM, said:

Isn't Unobtanium an actual word for theoretical/ rare materials/ rare elements? Sounds stupid as hell but at least its real.

Yes, AFAIK it's a real word.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7603 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 17 August 2015 - 05:23 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 17 August 2015 - 05:12 PM, said:

I recently saw Daybreakers, and while it's not amazing I quite liked it. Like a B-movie Children of Men, haha.

Oh man, it's been quite some time since I saw that (Film Fest, the Spierig Brothers were there). Recall liking it though. If you enjoyed that, look up their 2003 debut UNDEAD. It's a pretty tight little trapped-in-one-location zombie movie.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7604 User is offline   Coco with marshmallows 

• DIIIIIIIIIIVVVEEEEE
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 17 August 2015 - 08:43 PM

View PostKing Briar, on 17 August 2015 - 07:58 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 17 August 2015 - 05:20 PM, said:

View PostA Demon Llama!, on 17 August 2015 - 04:12 PM, said:

Isn't Unobtanium an actual word for theoretical/ rare materials/ rare elements? Sounds stupid as hell but at least its real.

Yes, AFAIK it's a real word.

Wtf are yall pulling my leg?

Nope, it's a genuine word, used to describe theoretical/non-existent materials - so in essence a place-holder name, rather than an element name itself.
meh. Link was dead :(

#7605 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 17 August 2015 - 09:00 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 17 August 2015 - 05:23 PM, said:

View PostIlluyankas, on 17 August 2015 - 05:12 PM, said:

Oh man, it's been quite some time since I saw that (Film Fest, the Spierig Brothers were there). Recall liking it though. If you enjoyed that, look up their 2003 debut UNDEAD. It's a pretty tight little trapped-in-one-location zombie movie.

Is that the "oh no humans are nearly dead cos we ate them all how are we going to get blood now?" film? I was very disappointed with that one, thought it could have been loads better...
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7606 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 18 August 2015 - 06:27 AM

It was better in The Core, when it was used as an obvious joke that fell flat.
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#7607 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 24 August 2015 - 07:26 AM

Watched Ex Machina on saturday and thoroughly enjoyed it. Loved the atmosphere of the movie, and as most of the thing was recorded at a hotel in Norway I've discovered a new place I need to visit.

Thoroughly enjoyable movie. You guys should all watch it.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

#7608 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 26 August 2015 - 04:58 PM

View Postpolishgenius, on 06 August 2015 - 07:08 PM, said:

All good signs. I literally knew nothing of the film before I saw the trailer the other day and me and my brother both found it to be dreadful. It's to be hoped that it's a misrepresentation.

Arg. Turns out you and Worry were right to be skeptical of this flick and I'm totally wrong on my optimistic (benefit of the doubt) pre-movie opinion.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/72850

NO ESCAPE is about a white American family stuck in (either Cambodia or Laos, they apparently never mention it) a south Asian country....and the hell that breaks loose isn't Asian Countrypeople against Asian countrypeople (which I could have bought as a politically charged atmosphere), with Wilson and his family getting out from the crossfire between those specific factions...but the coup is apparently an anti-American one where Americans are shot on sight.

Which is basically the whole "white folks scared of scary culture from scary other country" thing that Worry (or Amph?) had mentioned it looked like upthread.

Ugh.

#7609 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 26 August 2015 - 06:01 PM

I had seen the trailer for it a while back and I was wondering why you were so into it, the trailer was pretty much explicitly 'ooh scary foreigners gonna shoot the white folk' nonsense. To the point of the rebels or whatever busting into hotels to explicitly murder all tourists.

#7610 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 26 August 2015 - 06:57 PM

View PostIlluyankas, on 26 August 2015 - 06:01 PM, said:

I had seen the trailer for it a while back and I was wondering why you were so into it, the trailer was pretty much explicitly 'ooh scary foreigners gonna shoot the white folk' nonsense. To the point of the rebels or whatever busting into hotels to explicitly murder all tourists.

Yeah, I honestly thought it was just going to illustrate a coup or conflict within the country amongst its own inhabitants, which does indeed happen.

I gave it way too much leeway and benefit of the doubt.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that Hollywood went this way.

But yeah, my early support is my mistake. I own that. This movie is a shitty, shitty stereotype and should not be seen by anyone.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 26 August 2015 - 07:01 PM

#7611 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 01 September 2015 - 09:09 AM

Edgar Wright on Wes Craven (w/ a little from Sam Raimi too): http://www.edgarwrig...ing-wes-craven/
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7612 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 01 September 2015 - 09:30 AM

Saw a film called "Now You See Me"

Hugely entertaining, couldn't work out how it was going to end, will definitely be rewatching as there is bound to be a bunch of things I missed!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7613 User is offline   amphibian 

• Ribbit
  • Interests:Hopping around

Posted 01 September 2015 - 10:01 AM

The Man from UNCLE is a smooth piece of frippery. Think Ocean's Eleven type of frippery.

I enjoyed it, even the macabre parts, because the stars and villains have the charisma and knowledge of the campiness to pull it off.
I survived the Permian and all I got was this t-shirt.

#7614 User is offline   polishgenius 

• Heart of Courage
  • Group: LHTEC

Posted 02 September 2015 - 05:20 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 01 September 2015 - 09:30 AM, said:

Hugely entertaining, couldn't work out how it was going to end, will definitely be rewatching as there is bound to be a bunch of things I missed!

There's a sequel coming next year. I enjoyed the first a lot more than I was expecting, so I'll defo be watching it, although the new director's filmography isn't exactly confidence-inspiring.
I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you.

#7615 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 03 September 2015 - 05:39 AM

My wife made me watch gone girl. I was pleasantly surprised.
Error: Signature not valid

#7616 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 03 September 2015 - 07:32 AM

Now You See Me had a great cast and original idea. I thoroughly enjoyed it when I watched it and will definitely see the second.

Good stuff.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#7617 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 03 September 2015 - 08:37 AM

View Postpolishgenius, on 02 September 2015 - 05:20 PM, said:

View PostTiste Simeon, on 01 September 2015 - 09:30 AM, said:

There's a sequel coming next year. I enjoyed the first a lot more than I was expecting, so I'll defo be watching it, although the new director's filmography isn't exactly confidence-inspiring.

Ooh I shall definitely go and see that!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7618 User is offline   HoosierDaddy 

• Believer
  • Interests:Football

Posted 03 September 2015 - 08:50 AM

View PostRaymond Luxury Yacht, on 03 September 2015 - 05:39 AM, said:

My wife made me watch gone girl. I was pleasantly surprised.

You have an awesome wife. She could have made you watch something terrible.
Trouble arrives when the opponents to such a system institute its extreme opposite, where individualism becomes godlike and sacrosanct, and no greater service to any other ideal (including community) is possible. In such a system rapacious greed thrives behind the guise of freedom, and the worst aspects of human nature come to the fore....

#7619 User is offline   Raymond Luxury Yacht 

• Throatwobbler Mangrove
  • Group: Grumpy Old Sods
  • Interests:Quiet desperation and self-loathing

Posted 06 September 2015 - 10:27 PM

Last night was my pick so the wife and I saw nightcrawler. I really liked it, she thought it was ok.
Error: Signature not valid

#7620 User is offline   Whisperzzzzzzz 

• Reaper's Fail

Posted 07 September 2015 - 03:55 AM

I saw Dope earlier today. It's a really fun (despite some intense plot elements) movie that has great pacing and dialogue. If you like 90s hip hop and comedies of errors, then you'll like this. Great soundtrack too. I found myself singing along to some of my favorite tracks (the theater was empty except for me and my folks).

Share this topic:

• 643 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users