• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#7621 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog
  • Group: Team Quick Ben
  • Interests:Nothing, just sitting. Quietly.

Posted 07 September 2015 - 01:58 PM

Watched EXODUS: GODS AND KINGS on Netflix...and it's not quite as bad as I assumed it was going to be, but it's not good by any stretch. Weaver and Turturo have VERY small roles (and Weaver felt fully miscast to me)...and Turturo does a better than average job with Seti I (for the ten minutes he's in the film anyways). Bale and Edgerton try their best in a very best in roles that requite them to pretty much be over-the-top. The film is overlong, and the big spectacle set pieces (while nice to look at) never really get near older Rdley Scott Levels. I mean the opening to GLADIATOR with the Roman army under Maximus takes on the armies of the Germanic along the frontier is nothing short of breathtaking. Nothing in EXODUS reminds me of that Ridley Scott...nothing evokes anything close to the amazement I felt watching KINGDOM OF HEAVEN...it just feels like it's going through the motions. The idea of taking the biblical aspects and giving them non-religious reasoning (Moses is a Schizophrenic [seen conversing with the voice of god...but actually talking to himself], The plagues all have natural reasons and follow one another for natural world reasons, the crossing of the red sea is a tidal and tsunami issue ect.) was a nice aspect, but the rest of the film wants to play off the miraculous stuff in a more theological way. So instead of going fully non-religious, or fully religious...it tries to ride this middle line and never succeeds in making me buy either. I'm hoping whatever his next sand and sandal epic is, that Ridley picks a better script and a better topic and maybe he can get back to who he used to be 15 yeasr ago.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7622 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

• Faith, Heavy Metal & Bacon
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 12 September 2015 - 09:19 PM

Finally saw F&F7. Really enjoyable film, just as I expected it to be. Emotional last few minutes too, they did that well. Also, I couldn't ever really tell when they used his brother.
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7623 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 12 September 2015 - 09:35 PM

View PostTiste Simeon, on 12 September 2015 - 09:19 PM, said:

Finally saw F&F7. Really enjoyable film, just as I expected it to be. Emotional last few minutes too, they did that well. Also, I couldn't ever really tell when they used his brother.

He was the wide shots for the last action sequence, and then Paul's face was digitally imposed over the beach scene and the last car scene with Vin. Everything else he'd already shot.
"When the last tree has fallen, and the rivers are poisoned, you cannot eat money, oh no." ~Aurora

“Someone will always try to sell you despair, just so they don't feel alone.” ~Ursula Vernon

#7624 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 13 September 2015 - 06:27 AM

Oh cool all the way through I was trying to work it out. I didn't realise they'd completed so much!
A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7625 User is offline   Tiste Simeon 

Posted 13 September 2015 - 09:18 PM

Also this looks... interesting...
http://www.empireonl...y.asp?NID=45375

I should add this is NSFW violence...

This post has been edited by Tiste Simeon: 13 September 2015 - 09:19 PM

A Haunting Poem
I Scream
You Scream
We all Scream
For I Scream.

#7626 User is offline   Primateus 

• E Pluribus Anus
  • Interests:Stuff, lots of stuff!

Posted 19 September 2015 - 03:33 PM

Just finished watching Tomorrowland. That was actually pretty damn good. Really, I was pretty sure I'd enjoy it, but it was much better than I expected. Clooney was great, as Clooney often is. The girl, whatsherface, delivered the young hopeful dreamer rather spectacularly. The smaller girl put up a solid performance as well. And Hugh Laurie, Hugh Laurie always delivers.

It had a great story, predictable, sure, but still a really good story about actively working to make the world a better place instead of just saying "not my problem"
Screw you all, and have a nice day!

#7627 User is offline   A Demon Llama! 

• First Sword
  • View gallery
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 20 September 2015 - 02:37 PM

Black Mass. A overly long, drawn out and very average movie. Even boring at times. Would not recommend. Read the wikipedia article instead.
No Touchy.

#7628 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 21 September 2015 - 01:14 PM

So on Friday, the wife and I were stuck without anything to watch while house-sitting at her parents place, and were trawling through Netflix and and the first MAZE RUNNER movie was on it. Now full disclosure, I tried to read the book way back when but the voice of one of the secondary character in then first chapters annoyed me enough to stop. So I openly mocked the movie when it came out and stated no desire to see it...fast-forward to bored on a Friday night, and we watched the movie. And you know what? It was really quite good! I wasn't blown away, but the director (newcomer Wes Ball) not only does an apt job at pacing and structure, but has a great DOP and sensibility for the blockbuster. It's never going to beat the HUNGER GAMES, but it's a DAMNED sight better than DIVERGENT, or any of the other recent YA films. Well worth a look if you want a post-apocalyptic mystery actioner (some great acting talent too, with Aml Ameen [SENSE8's Capheus], Ki Hong Lee [THE UNBREAKABLE KIMMY SCHMIDT], and Thomas Sangster [GAME OF THRONES] in strong secondary roles).

So then on Sunday afternoon we went to the theatre to see the second movie, THE SCORCH TRIALS, which was great as well. Blows open the world in which the MAZE RUNNER takes place, and is entertaining enough that I ran out and bought the 3rd book in the series to find out what happens next. Again totally worth a look.

#7629 User is offline   A Demon Llama! 

• First Sword
  • View gallery

Posted 26 September 2015 - 11:31 PM

So, Terminator: Genesys.

Spoilers

Spoiler

This post has been edited by A Demon Llama!: 02 October 2015 - 11:52 PM

No Touchy.

#7630 User is offline   worry 

• Master of the Deck

Posted 02 October 2015 - 10:51 AM

Blue Ruin. Pretty awesome revenge flick set mostly in Virginia. Brings to mind Jeff Nichols (I'm sure Shotgun Stories got mentioned in the press on this) but more straightforward, less Terrence Malick-style impressionism. It has quiet moments, but it's only 90 minutes so it doesn't overindulge or go limp. In fact it's pretty tense for a lot of its run.
They came with white hands and left with red hands.

#7631 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 October 2015 - 12:18 PM

View PostA Demon Llama!, on 26 September 2015 - 11:31 PM, said:

So, Terminator: Genesys.

Better than the fourth one but still pretty much garbage.

Never explained why the now super bulked up Kyle Reese (is this really a complaint? The size of the actor?) was sent to the "alternate timeline" or why and how the timeline was changed

Spoiler

Not to mention if the timeline changed that much then everything up to that point would have been unable to happen.

Spoiler

Also, turning John Conner into a super robot and him being the ultimate bad guy? Fuckin bullshit and unnecessary. They could have just used the 11th Doctor instead and it would have made no difference.

Spoiler

So, it very poorly invalidated all of the other movies, probably just so they can make more shit films which most likely will be about saving young Kyle Reese. Which wont make any sense.

Um, how does it invalidate the other movies? It changes them, and changes their significance, but you can easily look at them as the first salvo and battle of a war that is now continuing in another vein. It doesn't make them not matter...as without them we would not be where we are now, storywise. We'd still be in an endless loop of Skynet 2029 VS Humans 2029...and now we are not. They are still a part of that, but a now done and dusted part of that.

I'm going to guess you were bothered enough by the film to not wait and see the post-credits scene underneath destroyed Cyberdyne? Missing out, as it's a nice link to a sequel. But then you likely won't want to watch a sequel. Still, it's a nice scene.

While I don't think it's completely amazing or anything, I thought it captured the spirit of the first two films much more than 3 or 4 did. It was better than I expected.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 02 October 2015 - 12:19 PM

#7632 User is offline   A Demon Llama! 

• First Sword
  • View gallery

Posted 02 October 2015 - 04:19 PM

View PostQuickTidal, on 02 October 2015 - 12:18 PM, said:

I'm going to guess you were bothered enough by the film to not wait and see the post-credits scene underneath destroyed Cyberdyne? Missing out, as it's a nice link to a sequel. But then you likely won't want to watch a sequel. Still, it's a nice scene.

I actually like to be proven wrong and have my view changed on a movie. Was gonna discuss your points but your assumption and dismissive comment about me just put me off. And yes, I did stay till the end credits and yes I will most likely watch next one to come out.

An another note. Anyone excited for The Martian? Hopefully I will be able to go see it today. Also, wonder if its worth seeing it in 3D.
No Touchy.

#7633 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 02 October 2015 - 05:00 PM

View PostA Demon Llama!, on 02 October 2015 - 04:19 PM, said:

View PostQuickTidal, on 02 October 2015 - 12:18 PM, said:

I actually like to be proven wrong and have my view changed on a movie. Was gonna discuss your points but your assumption and dismissive comment about me just put me off. And yes, I did stay till the end credits and yes I will most likely watch next one to come out.

Your post was full of dislike for the movie...so I took the assumption you did not stay till after the credits because A. I certainly wouldn't if I hadn't enjoyed a movie, and B. Why would you if the Terminator movies had never used that as device before. Sure I assumed on that point...but based that on what I would have done...that's my bad for assuming.

It was really not my intention to come across as dismissive. If I did, I apologize.

This post has been edited by QuickTidal: 02 October 2015 - 05:31 PM

#7634 User is offline   A Demon Llama! 

• First Sword
  • View gallery

Posted 02 October 2015 - 11:53 PM

No worries QT.

I just like to complain and be bitter.
No Touchy.

#7635 User is offline   Gnaw 

• Recovering eating disordered addict of HHM
  • View gallery

Posted 03 October 2015 - 12:15 AM

Excellent reason to play mafias.
"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom." - Viktor Frankl

#7636 User is offline   QuickTidal 

• Frog

Posted 03 October 2015 - 01:32 AM

THE MARTIAN was fucking phenomenal. Start to finish.

#7637 User is offline   Slow Ben 

• Ranger

Posted 03 October 2015 - 02:16 AM

I enjoyed the shit out of Mad Max. Sad as hell I don't get to enjoy it in the theater.
I've always been crazy but its kept me from going insane.

#7638 User is offline   A Demon Llama! 

• First Sword
  • View gallery

Posted 11 October 2015 - 06:30 PM

The Salvation starring Mads Mikkelson was pretty good.

If you like Westerns, or that actor, then this one is worth a watch and available on Netflix.
No Touchy.

#7639 User is offline   paran falcon 

• Emperor

Posted 11 October 2015 - 07:59 PM

View PostSlow Ben, on 03 October 2015 - 02:16 AM, said:

I enjoyed the shit out of Mad Max. Sad as hell I don't get to enjoy it in the theater.

Just saw Fury Road on blu-ray myself. What a visual spectacle! I agree it would've been incredible on the big screen.

#7640 User is offline   Morgoth 

• executor emeritus

Posted 15 October 2015 - 06:19 AM

I really enjoyed the Martian. Seems like we're in some sort of Sci Fi revolution these days. I hope it lasts.
Take good care to keep relations civil
It's decent in the first of gentlemen
To speak friendly, Even to the devil

Share this topic:

• 644 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users