• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ye Big Movie thread

#81 User is offline   Abyss 

• abyssus abyssum invocat
  • Group: Administrators
  • Interests:Interesting.

Posted 28 July 2004 - 10:04 AM

Can anyone think of movies that from the outset are supposed to be 'trilogies' that actually worked, aside from the original three SW movies (and perhaps the 'Three Colours' series)?

Matrix sequels only came about because of the success of the first one. Ditto Indiana Jones and Alien. LoTR's an adaptation, so they don't count. Same for the Bourne flics (assuming they make the third).

I mean movies where the first one is promo'd as 'The First of Three!!!!'. And I'm left with the D&D debacle and Riddick.

- Abyss, had the D&D movie surgically purged from his mind.
THIS IS YOUR REMINDER THAT THERE IS A
'VIEW NEW CONTENT' BUTTON THAT
ALLOWS YOU TO VIEW NEW CONTENT

#82 User is offline   Lord Gordonis 

• Pursuivant of TQB
  • Group: Team Quick Ben

Posted 10 November 2004 - 06:33 AM

cool hopefully it is on here

thanks patch

#83 Guest__*

• Group: Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 03 September 2004 - 02:03 PM

Yupers. On first day it came out in New York. Not amazing Aliens (2) and Predator 1 were better. But the SFX were amazing and the fights kicked a$$, build up was very good and one flasback into history blew me away. Don't get your hopes up for anything completely amazing but I thought it was worth a trip to the cinema.

Also you remember the robot dude in Aliens he's in it too. Funny moment with the knife trick too LOLOLOLOLOL.

#84 Guest_Unoriginal_*

Posted 25 September 2004 - 05:24 AM

Watched Hero last night
Posted Image Posted Image
Very cool film, shame it took so long to get here.

#85 User is offline   RodeoRanch 

• The Midnight Special
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 12 September 2004 - 11:34 AM

I'm a huge fan of the "Bourne" films. Great stuff! Posted Image

I caught a Denzel Washington film the other night. "Out of Time" was the title, I think. An ok thriller but nothing special. Everyone in the film was just plain stupid and I could tell what was going to happen well in advance!

#86 User is offline   Mezla PigDog 

• Malazan Yo Yo Champion 2009
  • Group: Mezla's Thought Police

Posted 30 January 2005 - 03:28 PM

I spent a very enjoyable Sunday afternoon comatosed on my sofa watching Rio Bravo, the 1959 John Wayne & dean Martin Western. It's a bit long but it's a classic, i recommend it to anyone who doesn't despise the genre.
Burn rubber =/= warp speed

#87 Guest_LooseCannon_*

Posted 04 October 2004 - 10:44 AM

@Marduk - Geez, you don't ask for much do you? First you say they can rewrite Alexander's sexual preferences but then you say that any other deviation from facts is totally unacceptable. Posted Image I'm not going into it expecting a big brother perspective of his life but hopefully a decent movie that isn't full of cheese. Although I do admit that "Conquer your fear..." line was pretty bad, but all movies have them nowadays. Even Braveheart had some pretty bad ones "Every man dies, but not every man truly lives"

Regardless I have faith in Oliver Stone. The guy is a damn good director. Also, isn't/wasn't there supposed to be another Alexander movie by Martin Scorcese starring Leo Decraprio? *shudder*

#88 Guest_Falco_*

Posted 25 March 2005 - 11:23 PM

Just saw 'Sideways'. Funny, grown-up (kind of, the actor character was less mature than some of my fellow college students) buddy movie. I had read that it had been robbed of the Best Film Oscar. Rubbish! 'Million Dollar Baby' was miles better and more meaningful than this mid-life crisis claptrap.

#89 Guest_Dark Daze_*

Posted 18 July 2004 - 11:46 PM

Sorry for the double post, but this link details the release dates for comic based movies:

http://www.comics2fi...e.php?f_id=6836

Also, according to the following article, Jack Black (WTF?) is slated to play the Green Lantern is some sort of comic take on it.

http://www.aintitcoo...ay.cgi?id=17971

#90 Guest_LooseCannon_*

Posted 22 August 2004 - 06:10 PM

I think a few of you were talking about Underworld earlier in this thread... well I finally saw it and didn't mind it actually. From what I heard about this movie I though it was going to be pretty lame but compared to Queen of the Damned (for example) it was pretty decent. Kate Beckinsdale obviously made the whole movie for me Posted Image but I also did enjoy how the movie wasn't the typical cliched piece of crap that usually comes out of Hollywood. A quick search of Google says the Kate is 31 years old Posted Image. She looks like she is in her early 20s to me. Regardless she is gorgeous!

Also saw Seabiscuit. Good overall movie. Nothing special, though. I think the problem with movies like this is that they always have an anti-climax and the last race was definitely that.

#91 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 13 September 2004 - 06:57 AM

I recall I've frogotten to ask you lot: have you seen Bagiński's "The Cathedral"?
for those who don't know anything about it, it's a CG short film, it's creation took the guy a LOOONG time, and IMO it beats "The Chubbchubbs are coming" (which won the Oscar over "The Cathedral") by MILES. really.

so, anyone seen it?
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#92 Guest_Sha'ik Reborn_*

Posted 20 January 2005 - 01:37 PM

watched collateral and it was bloody brilliant
tom cruise scared the sh*t out of me!!!

#93 User is offline   Kallor 

• First Sword

Posted 10 November 2004 - 06:31 AM

@killer of topics
the only movie likely to help you 'score' is "Ray", the film about Ray Charles...the rest of the current mess are just that...

#94 Guest_Dark Daze_*

Posted 09 September 2004 - 12:23 PM

It's not out in the US either. I rented it from an Asian movie service. It's imported.

Some stuff is worth tracking down like the animes Nausicc Valley of the Wind (Miyazuki: the writer of Spirited Away and Princess Mononokee) and Samurai Champloo (hip hop samurais from the makers of Cowboy Bebop.)

#95 Guest_LooseCannon_*

Posted 10 June 2004 - 09:09 AM

Here is a link to the American version of the website: http://www.miramax.com/hero/. I Guess they are releasing the film in North American August 20, but the movie itself was made in 2002 I believe. Thankfully the DVD had english subtitles (took me a while to find them in the menu, I can't read Chinese!). Anyway, the way the movie is told is incredible. You hear of events from one character's point of view and then after that you get a different interpretation from another character. I liked it a lot.

#96 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 06 July 2004 - 12:48 PM

I saw Spider-Man 2. I don't think it quite lives up to the hype it's getting here in the US (what does?), but it is very good, far better the first installment IMO.
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#97 User is offline   rlfcl 

• High Fist

Posted 28 November 2004 - 08:54 PM

saw national treasure this weekendm pretty ennjoyable flick, good acting, its just suffers from a bit of unoriginality. also watched Reservoir Dogs again, which remains one of my favorite movies ever... you gonna bark all day little doggy, or are you gonna bite Posted Image

#98 User is offline   Gothos 

• Map painting expert

Posted 09 September 2004 - 10:27 AM

just watched Donnie Darko... and I think I should watch it again. darn, this is one good movie. freaky...
It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

#99 Guest_LooseCannon_*

Posted 10 June 2004 - 08:28 AM

Can't find the old topic so here goes:

I ordered the Hero DVD over the Internet and it finally arrived yesterday. What an awesome movie. I think I liked it even more than Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

Also, I rented City of God and plan on watching it later today. Has anyone watched this? I've seen it on so many top 10 lists for 2003 that I finally had to get it.

#100 Guest_Dark Daze_*

Posted 13 September 2004 - 03:16 PM

Other than Brain Candy, Strange Brew is also the only decent Canadian comedy. The Canadian comedians made almost all of their movies here in the States.

Share this topic:

• 642 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users