Malazan Empire: George Martin addresses his detractors - Malazan Empire

• 16 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »

George Martin addresses his detractors I think he might mean some of us Rate Topic: -----

#121 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant
  • Group: Malaz Regular

Posted 04 April 2009 - 07:55 PM

View Postwolf_2099, on Apr 2 2009, 09:28 PM, said:

He should have gone with his HD crashing, or being stolen, or a house fire and having the manuscript destroyed.

Or even that virus that was supposed to hit yesterday corrupting everything. At his computer and publishers. Bye bye ADWD.

GRRM is pretty paranoid over the MS situation ever since he nearly did lose a book to computing woes, and most people who read his blog know what precautions he takes. He prints out a full MS of the book in its 'current' form every couple of weeks both for personal use and also to send to his publishers (which is why his editorial turn-around is so short, his publishers have been editing the book pretty much as it goes along, which is bit frustrating for them if he then decides to junk the chapter). He also saves copies of the MS on his hard drive and on floppy disk (old-skool!). I think he even keeps multiple copies of the disk in different places just to be on the safe side.

The only way to 'lose' ADWD would be to nuke Santa Fe, New York and London several times over to ensure that all the copies of the book are destroyed. Even that probably won't work, as some material from ADWD has also been sent to his co-writers on The World of Ice and Fire book as well, so that's another copy floating around, and I think the writers of the HBO series have seen a plot synopsis (so they know what they are building up to in the first season).

GRRM ain't going to be suffering what SE did when his computer died and took half of Memories of Ice with it :(
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

#122 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 04 April 2009 - 08:10 PM

I can't imagine what that would feel like, to lose 45 years of work that GRRM has put into ADWD......

:(

#123 User is offline   McLovin 

• Cutlery Enthusiast
  • Interests:Knives. Stabbing. Stabbing with knives.

Posted 04 April 2009 - 08:20 PM

All I have to say to the GRRM detractors is this - how many books have YOU published? Right. Then shut the fnck up.
OK, I think I got it, but just in case, can you say the whole thing over again? I wasn't really listening.

#124 User is offline   Yellow 

• Sick and Tired
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 05 April 2009 - 08:42 AM

View PostOptimus Prime, on Apr 4 2009, 09:10 PM, said:

I can't imagine what that would feel like, to lose 45 years of work that GRRM has put into ADWD......

:(

Lol.
Don't fuck with the Culture.

#125 User is offline   Illuyankas 

• Retro Classic
  • Group: The Hateocracy of Truth
  • Will cluck you up

Posted 05 April 2009 - 03:22 PM

View PostMcLovin, on Apr 4 2009, 08:20 PM, said:

All I have to say to the GRRM detractors is this - how many books have YOU published? Right. Then shut the fnck up.

So if I can't cook, I can't complain to the waiter if he takes forever to get to my table? Might as well go to a different restaurant, then.

Besides, Christopher Paolini got published. So did Stephanie Meyer. YOUR ARGUMENT IS FLAWED AND RUBBISH
Hello, soldiers, look at your mage, now back to me, now back at your mage, now back to me. Sadly, he isn’t me, but if he stopped being an unascended mortal and switched to Sole Spice, he could smell like he’s me. Look down, back up, where are you? You’re in a warren with the High Mage your cadre mage could smell like. What’s in your hand, back at me. I have it, it’s an acorn with two gates to that realm you love. Look again, the acorn is now otataral. Anything is possible when your mage smells like Sole Spice and not a Bole brother. I’m on a quorl.

#126 User is offline   Traveller 

• exile
  • Group: Malazan Artist

Posted 06 April 2009 - 08:49 AM

View PostWerthead, on Apr 4 2009, 08:55 PM, said:

He prints out a full MS of the book in its 'current' form every couple of weeks both for personal use and also to send to his publishers

I heard he did this a while back.

So whenever he announces a further delay, I always imagine that he had hundreds of piles of paper, each with a slightly different story version for each character - until he opened a window or something, and they all got mixed up...

This post has been edited by Traveller: 06 April 2009 - 08:50 AM

So that's the story. And what was the real lesson? Don't leave things in the fridge.

#127 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion
  • Interests:Ranting and Raving. Being the biggest Liberal on this forum. Arguing with Cold Iron (and winning). Writing (struggling right now), reading, Georgia Bulldog FOOTBALL!<br /><br />And the lades, of course, always the ladies ;)

Posted 07 April 2009 - 06:06 AM

View PostMcLovin, on Apr 4 2009, 01:20 PM, said:

Oh zip it. I agree w/ Illy, you need to come up w/ a stronger argument than that. You can't sit there and tell me the guy isn't a bit of a blow hard.

With fame and riches comes the occasional criticisms.

#128 User is offline   Blacksox 

• Captain

Posted 08 April 2009 - 05:12 AM

View PostOptimus Prime, on Apr 4 2009, 08:10 PM, said:

:D

Well I am not sure I would call that 45 years of "work":unworthy:

To be honest it really bothers me when an author could seem to give a shit if his series EVER gets finished.

I recall an interview were GRRM was asked if he had the end of ASOIAF planned out and in a vualt or had someone that could relate how the series would end like Robert Jordan had done. GRRM made a joke out of it basically saying if anything happens to him his readers are just shit out of luck.

And GRRM and his defenders act like he does not owe it to his readers to finish the work he has started. These readers pay there hard earned money purchasing his products and allowing him to live the life style he is accustomed to. He does OWE them to least make an honest attempt to deliver them a finished product in his or their lifetime.

I hope the guy lives forever but at the rate he writting and his seeming lack of work ethic when it comes to this product it just might take that long.

#129 User is offline   Blacksox 

• Captain

Posted 08 April 2009 - 05:32 AM

View PostMcLovin, on Apr 4 2009, 09:20 PM, said:

I have been published and I feel it is the right of any of my readers critisize my works. As a matter of fact I find criticism is a vital part of me becoming a better writer because many times the critic has valid points.

Any writers who believe they are above criticism, and their readers do not have the right to expect a finished product in a reasonable amount of time need to check their ego's and maybe consider another profession.

#130 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion

Posted 08 April 2009 - 07:33 AM

View PostBlacksox, on Apr 7 2009, 10:32 PM, said:

View PostMcLovin, on Apr 4 2009, 09:20 PM, said:

I have been published and I feel it is the right of any of my readers critisize my works. As a matter of fact I find criticism is a vital part of me becoming a better writer because many times the critic has valid points.

Any writers who believe they are above criticism, and their readers do not have the right to expect a finished product in a reasonable amount of time need to check their ego's and maybe consider another profession.

I couldn't say it better myself.

GRRM owes his lifestyle to his audience. He's earned what he's got but w/ all the fame comes the fact that guess what? You spend all your time painting figurines and giving multiple excuses for your slow ass writing, CRITICISM will come.

#131 User is offline   Aooga 

• Sergeant

Posted 08 April 2009 - 10:55 AM

Though I am not too concerned about the delay as:

- I am used to long ass waits between books. Anyone who follwed the Dark Tower series had to be.
- Plenty more to read while waiting.

However, IMHO I believe the criticism is warranted. Why?

- He is not writing a book from scratch. He just has to edit half a book that's already written. Even if it involves heavy re-writes how long would that take if, as he claims, he had the major part of it already done when writing AFFC?

#132 User is offline   Skywalker 

• Mortal LightSaber
  • Pedant.

Posted 08 April 2009 - 10:59 AM

View PostAooga, on Apr 8 2009, 04:25 PM, said:

However, IMHO I believe the criticism is warranted. Why?

- He is not writing a book from scratch. He just has to edit half a book that's already written. Even if it involves heavy re-writes how long would that take if, as he claims, he had the major part of it already done when writing AFFC?

I think another Werthead defense is in the offing... o boy!
Forum Member from the Old Days. Alive, but mostly inactive/ occasionally lurking

#133 User is offline   Mushroom 

• Banned

Posted 08 April 2009 - 12:08 PM

Take as long as you George.

I'm a patient man.

You'll finish it eventually.

I don't care.

I'll read it anyway.

#134 User is offline   wolf_2099 

• First Sword
  • I like cake.

Posted 08 April 2009 - 06:27 PM

View PostAooga, on Apr 8 2009, 04:55 AM, said:

Well I also believe the criticism is warrented. Mostly because, as said, his lifestyle he is enjoying is due to the work. He isn't writing stand alone novels, he is writing a series. Most would expect that series to be finished, and this is kind of ridiculous.

However, anyone who has even bothered to read the thread, or even do a little googling on the book, would realize he completely re-wrote AFFC and he scraped the entire book so we would have viewpoints from every character in the book, instead of waiting another 5 years to resolve the cliff hangers.

Which, I do appreciate.
"HAIL THE MARINES!"

#135 User is offline   frookenhauer 

• Mortal Sword
  • Interests:Women
    Money
    AI
    Writing

Posted 08 April 2009 - 08:16 PM

Ill be most distressed If he dies...but if DANCE as shite as feast for crows...die mother frakker!
souls are for wimps

#136 User is offline   Optimus Prime 

• Daylight Oblivion

Posted 08 April 2009 - 08:52 PM

I'm going to read the book. Isn't GRRM only like 60? Yes he's a walrus but other than that in good health? Robert Jordan had one of the more rare diseases.....It's mainly all that talk about the fucking figurines that drives me nuts.

#137 User is offline   Yellow 

• Sick and Tired
  • Group: High House Mafia

Posted 08 April 2009 - 09:14 PM

Well, 60 ain't that young when you don't look after yourself.
Don't fuck with the Culture.

#138 User is offline   alestar 

• Fist
  • Interests:cooking, wine, beer, reading, music, hockey &amp; football

Posted 08 April 2009 - 10:45 PM

View PostFrookenhauer, on Apr 8 2009, 09:16 PM, said:

Ill be most distressed If he dies...but if DANCE as shite as feast for crows...die mother frakker!

I concur...

#139 User is offline   Cougar 

• D'ivers Fuckwits
  • View gallery
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:05 PM

Jesus ASoFaI Christ; stop talking about GRRM dying it's been done to death (no pun). I don't like him, I think his attitude is reprehensible and I'm not even looking at the books again till they are finished but we aren't going down this tired old route.

Also, try not to antagonise Werthead, he really likes GRRM.

This post has been edited by Cougar: 08 April 2009 - 11:09 PM

I AM A TWAT

#140 User is offline   Werthead 

• Ascendant

Posted 08 April 2009 - 11:22 PM

It's not really a case of I 'like him' (although his girlfriend is a friend of mine and I've swapped emails with GRRM a few times and met him once), it's more a case of extreme boredom that no-one can do their research.

Will people just let this go? He had some stuff for ADWD left over when he finished AFFC. He thought it was 1) not very good and 2) was not structurally sound for the book. If he'd published what he'd had then, we'd have had a book that was very short and utter pants. So that stuff got scrapped. It is gone. It is no more. It was deleted three years or more ago and a whole new book has been written almost from scratch (I think the first Daenerys chapter has maybe survived more or less intact, perhaps the first Tyrion one as well, although both have been rewritten; everything else is gone).

What is ridiculous is that ADWD isn't even the book that's taken the longest to write in the series. When it overtakes AFFC in a few months or AGoT in a year and a half I'll get more concerned.
Visit The Wertzone for reviews of SF&F books, DVDs and computer games!

"Try standing out in a winter storm all night and see how tough you are. Start with that. Then go into a bar and pick a fight and see how tough you are. And then go home and break crockery over your head. Start with those three and you'll be good to go."
- Bruce Campbell on how to be as cool as he is

Share this topic:

• 16 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »

Fast Reply

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users